Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/12/2008 2:42:57 PM EDT

So you need to run on OP in YOUR neighborhood, (not talking about walking around in the day time)..

You got houses, back yards, housing tracts...street lights...but you need all the gear necessary for a raid...the chance of a fire fight is high, so a simple back pack and pockets isnt going to cut it.

What kind and type of camo / uniform would you wear.  Almost any pattern will not work for the whole time, but a desert camo ACU seems like a fully lit Christmas tree in a suburban neighborhood...mix that with a shinny nylon "tac vest"...and you are spotted easy by the zombies...what you gonna wear...

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Official camo pattern of Arfcom is Multicam.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have old school woodland camo right now, which works good but I think muticam would work much better.

Woodland is too dark.

ETA: Is this with a full loadout, 1st and 2nd line gear, carbine/rifle?

Otherwise the grayman approach is much less conspicuous and is just as effective.

A low profile rig under a button up shirt or zippered hoodie and a backpack with a SBR would be better.

It doesn't shout "shoot me" in case you get seen, but you shouldn't be seen in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
"normal" clothes-- jeans, a jacket, something non-descript.  that way if I need to ditch my stuff and disappear it is a LOT easier.  The VC realized this, and so did the Iraqis.  Camouflage makes you stick out like a sore thumb in an urban environment
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just about anything is going to work when you aren't moving.  Depending on the area: Multicam or woodland MARPAT/CADPAT TW.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"normal" clothes-- jeans, a jacket, something non-descript.  that way if I need to ditch my stuff and disappear it is a LOT easier.  The VC realized this, and so did the Iraqis.  Camouflage makes you stick out like a sore thumb in an urban environment

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
i've got woodland and some OD green canadian stuff. the canadian stuff is pretty comfortable, so i might wear that.

or, i have dark blue coveralls, and a big leather welders apron. with the coveralls tucked into my boots and the apron it's look scary.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
t-shirt and jeans. Maybe a carhart jacket if it's winter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had to pick military-pattern clothing:

I'd wear Ye Olde Woodland BDU's.  Woodland BDU's do fade a good deal with use.  I suppose there are other ways of lightening them.  If I had to go with a solid color, I'd pick SWAT gray.  

I do have some experience sneaking around in suburban areas with Woodland BDU's (pulling pranks as a teenager).  I found the pattern to be very effective, especially when combined with camo face paint.  

If I wasn't restricted to military-pattern clothing:  

I'd wear normal civilian clothes like I already do: cargo pants and a loose, plain solid-color T-shirt, with a pair of civilian work boots.  

Most of my civilian clothes are colors that would be found in nature, like OD green, brown/tan/dark khaki, dark blue, gray, etc.  

I don't wear hats, gloves, coats, etc. unless the weather justifies it.  

I have a shoulder bag (looks like a laptop bag) that I use for carrying basic bug-out type items and I also use it to carry ammo.  I'm really starting to like this bag more than any vest.  

My rifle would be the only thing that would make me not look like a "typical" civilian.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Man thong, Pink flip flops and a low cut tank top. Moose knuckle is a must here & people will be too scared to even approach me
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Wifebeater and jeans.  Let 'em know you're serious...
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep.

Police will be suspicious of anyone running around in camo.

Throw in tac-gear and a rifle, and you're going to jail no matter what your story is.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I think that mismatched camo is more effective than having all camo of the same pattern.  Most of mine is mossy oak or real tree. I've got an ACU chest rig.

This does bring up and interesting point.  The original reason for a uniform was not camouflage, but to help you identify those on your side from the enemy.  I'm obviously not going to do the British and put on a red coat or like the guy in Monrovia with an orange life vest.  But I would want everyone with me to have a hat or coat of an a easy to identify color like black or OD or a specific ammo pattern.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
and if i HAD to pick an in-use camo pattern, it would be ABUs, just out of brand loyalty.  Pattern is a non-factor here anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yup.

And now that's Multicam has gone in price to $30 per piece (less for hats, of course), just about everyone can afford at least one full set.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
When in Rome, kill a Roman soldier your size and take his gear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Personally I think that mismatched camo is more effective than having all camo of the same pattern.  Most of mine is mossy oak or real tree. I've got an ACU chest rig.

This does bring up and interesting point.  The original reason for a uniform was not camouflage, but to help you identify those on your side from the enemy.  I'm obviously not going to do the British and put on a red coat or like the guy in Monrovia with an orange life vest.  But I would want everyone with me to have a hat or coat of an a easy to identify color like black or OD or a specific ammo pattern.

Except if all your guys have camo of the same pattern, you'll be able to identify members of your team AND not stand out from the background to become an easily-visible target like, saying, wearing a red or white t-shirt.

And if you pick a pattern that isn't likely to be common amongst bandits (i.e., not hunting camo, no BDU's, no ACU, etc.) like flecktarn or Multicam, there's far less risk of the bad guys wearing the same stuff as you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This.

Be anonymous.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
DPM
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#19]
For civilian/guerilla types the best bet is durable earth-tone clothing,  Carharts Dickies w/ t-shirt, sweatshirt etc.  Add cammied tactical gear (vest rifle etc) over that and you blend pretty well in to a suburban environment.  Then if you ditch the tactical gear you can stroll in to Wal-Mart with no one the wiser.

The only set of complete cammies I have is tiger stripes.  But some multicam or Marpat would be in the works if I thought it was important.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So you need to run on OP in YOUR neighborhood, (not talking about walking around in the day time)..

You got houses, back yards, housing tracts...street lights...but you need all the gear necessary for a raid...the chance of a fire fight is high, so a simple back pack and pockets isnt going to cut it.

What kind and type of camo / uniform would you wear.  Almost any pattern will not work for the whole time, but a desert camo ACU seems like a fully lit Christmas tree in a suburban neighborhood...mix that with a shinny nylon "tac vest"...and you are spotted easy by the zombies...what you gonna wear...

Wear what everyone else is wearing...

Military Uniforms are designed to be distinctive...

P.S. If the chance of a fire fight is high... Then if there's no backup, you don't go manning OPs...

An OP is there to observe, report, and retreat - not to engage....

First sign of trouble, you go back through the friendly perimeter, and let the line take care of the enemy....
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Uniform clothing would just mark you.  Wear comfortable jeans and layer shirts and jacket.  That way you can mix and match and change your appearance as the need arises.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

And now that's Multicam has gone in price to $30 per piece (less for hats, of course), just about everyone can afford at least one full set.

Where does one buy multi cam for $30/ piece?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll have my whole crew dressed like THIS!

We'll be the pirate ninja's from hell!

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Well this is an OP, so your Equipment is going to give you away if spotted.  The chance of a fire fight is high so you need gear..lots of it.

I would go with a earth tome cargo pants, tee-shirt with an patterned overcoat / over shirt and a black survival vest, not a shooting vest which doesn't have camelback, (I get thristy on OPs).  I may go with a tac vest, but they tend to be bulky.

I say Woodland is best, but seems more people like Marpat....I need to look into a lightweight Marpat over shirt/coat I guess.

thanx
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Dark street clothing with a tactical vest.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Jeans, T shirt, tactical vest with plenty of pouches for ammo, etc. If I have to, I can drop the vest and weapons somewhere and just be an average, dumb white guy again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Ghillie Suit!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Urban?

ACU cut in solid OD green.

SUB-urban..housing tracts and light industrial / retail area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Since we all know who our enemy is going to be in the upcoming SHTF, wear what they are.  Baggy jeans hanging below your ass, untied oversize $300 neon green sneaks, 5 sizes too big t-shirt (either white or black, depending on what urban group you are imitating), huge winter coat with hood up, and your gat stuffed in the front of your pants, which you are holding up by your dick area with one hand.  

Seriously, this garb came about in the ghetto areas precisely so the thugs could carry around weaponry concealed more easily.  The saggy pants is just a stupid trend that destroys the tactical nature of an otherwise urban camo/fighting outfit.

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ghillie Suit!!

I dont know about you but wearing that around here is like being in Satan's crotch area, it is going to be hot! (hmmm sounds funnier in the local language).
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'll have my whole crew dressed like THIS!

We'll be the pirate ninja's from hell!

images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/animalhouse16.jpg

"Thank you God"
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I try to blend in with the masses, I don't even own any mil type clothing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I try not to wear clothing that could have me mistaken for .mil, police, or some whackjob trying to look like .mil or police.

This would go double for secret squirrel missions outside the wire in SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

+1

hey this is a fantasy thread anyhow why ask a serious question?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I've often thought a red bath robe, boxers, black socks, white Chuck Taylors, and one of those fake captains hats they wear at the country clubs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've often thought a red bath robe, boxers, black socks, white Chuck Taylors, and one of those fake captains hats they wear at the country clubs.

How about this?

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#44]
You've got to go for "Monrovia Modern":

The always popular superhero cape

The "Zouave" look

The ever stylish "Flotation Up-Armor Device"

T-shirt with tie

Cammies with brilliant white shoes

The "Wife Beater With One Pant Leg Rolled Up While Carrying A Duster" look

Pink, orange, red, and blue are this year's hot colors

And the "Bright Yellow Rain Jacket Worn Backwards" is right for all occasions

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#45]
flip flops, shorts, tanktop, blue RRA hat. M-4 and back pack. oh yeah forgot sunglasses and sunscreen,
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

This

But also some sort of vest like  511 or simliar. Probably have a carbine hanging in front or over my back.

My problem is that I'll probably stick out with all the fuds that live near me. Maybe I should buy some "don't shoot me" orange?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#47]
If I HAD to wear stuff, it would likely be OD.  At least the top.  Pants would be khaki with some desert boots not tucked in.  Normal t-shirt underneath.  Black backpack.  Pistol belt with suspenders would be under the OD shirt if possible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You've got to go for "Monrovia Modern":

T-shirt with tie

At least he gets dressed up for work in the morning
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1  
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

+87

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down. I intend to blend in.

All my casual clothes are just subdued sporting clothes in colors from nature. I'm not going to dress any different.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top