Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but what if you happened to be stationed in geosynchronous orbit over NY?
View Quote
You mean if you were in geo orbit over Colombia?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For weightless and vacuum infantry warfighting, handheld lasers are the key. No recoil, which most projectile weapons will have an will cause all kinds of problems in a weightless environment. The laser doesn't have to be very strong, just strong enough to put a hole in the enemy infantry suit; at that point the vacuum would stop or kill them. In a weightless environment, the technology has probably advanced to the point where a single man could carry the weight currently required for laser weapons.
View Quote
My body armor will be mirror finished.

Weapon of choice would be some type of automatic shotgun loaded with high velocity flechette rounds. I imagine that hitting an enemy that is jet packing around would be very difficult, and a cone of death > a fine stream if death.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but what if you happened to be stationed in geosynchronous orbit over NY?
Touché, but to keep his scenario alive I’ll presume he’s actually docked at a space elevator that is maintained over NY (such hubris!) via 3 carbon nanotube tethers (or some such advanced material).

....In which case I guess the Port Authority will try to love him tenderly.

“You can’t take the sky from me!!!” , “Pry my thermal detonator from my cold depressurized glove!”, “Molon atmo!” etc...
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’ve been right next to a 155, and I’m still goodish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need recommendations on the best of the best for combat in space. Actually shtf, no wait hd, eff it all of it. No budget here people. Any optics you think I should go with? What should I zero at? And go...

Joking aside, lots of potential up there.
Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
You go ahead and strap yourself to a Howitzer and shoot it. Have fun with your TBI.

No gravity does not equal no inertia.
I’ve been right next to a 155, and I’m still goodish.
On Earth we anchor or arrest artillery guns with dirt or somesuch. This greatly reduces peak acceleration on the gun. Even then, though, we don't strap people to the tube.

A cannon in space is not something you want to be attached to. Not without a bunch of gun ballast at least.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will gunpowder even combust in a vacuum?
View Quote
Yes but Frog lube and Breakfree CLP is not rated for vacuums so your weapon is going to seize up pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes but Frog lube and Breakfree CLP is not rated for vacuums so your weapon is going to seize up pretty quickly.
View Quote
Frog lube is rated for the garbage can where it belongs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since zero gravity means weight doesn't matter why not a howitzer with the hubble telescope mounted on top of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need recommendations on the best of the best for combat in space. Actually shtf, no wait hd, eff it all of it. No budget here people. Any optics you think I should go with? What should I zero at? And go...

Joking aside, lots of potential up there.
Momentum is still a thing in space, mass matters when it comes to acceleration.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Momentum is still a thing in space, mass matters when it comes to acceleration.
View Quote
People don't think the mass be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.
Nitrocellulose has its own oxidizer.
It will fire in a vacuum.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Look on the bright side... it's not a mosin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you're saying that birdshot is finally going to be an effective fight stopper?

Damn, those Fudds were right after all!
View Quote
Hadn't considered that, but, yes. Yes it would be, as things stand now. #4, say, at 1400FPS, will put the bang-shang-a-lang all over some beta cloth and Mylar. There will still be some dispersal, but it would have to be studied to be quantified. Certainly it would be way, way, way less than at 1atm; and again, no velocity loss.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
It will be awesome to magdump and watch as your upper receiver melts into a slag pile.  No atmosphere, no heat dissipation.   Radiators might help a bit (maybe an extra 5 rounds), but you would need some type of active cooling on any high heat chemical reaction in space.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It will be awesome to magdump and watch as your upper receiver melts into a slag pile.  No atmosphere, no heat dissipation.   Radiators might help a bit (maybe an extra 5 rounds), but you would need some type of active cooling on any high heat chemical reaction in space.
View Quote
Oh, jeez. the technology to pump liquids through tubing doesn't exist!
Shit....
Well, maybe by 2017A4 we can cobble up something...oh, wait, that was last year. Ok, maybe we could invent some sort of liquid cooling system by...2117? But only if weight can somehow be minimized.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shit....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit....
And what will cool the liquid?  You going to tote a giant radiator behind you?  ISS requires huge radiators just to dissipate body and equipment heat.  Rifle chamber is a tad hotter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Paintball gun with explosive or caustic paintballs.

Or a slingshot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And what will cool the liquid?  You going to tote a giant radiator behind you?  ISS requires huge radiators just to dissipate body and equipment heat.  Rifle chamber is a tad hotter.
View Quote
Seems like an issue. But it's space. You, first of all, don't need huge volumes of suppressing fire. Second, you can make barrels of exotic materials. C, heat sinks work. You going to tell me 15lbs of air is so much more conductive than vacuum that your individual weapon will slag down faster than a a 249 burning through 800 rounds flat? And some copper fins will radiate the shit out of heat, even in space...space...pace...ace...ace...ace....
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#20]
No I'm not going to calculate the enthalpy just now. It's not the issue you think it is, though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#21]
The ISS has to keep the temps habitable for humans. And has to dispose of vast amounts of solar heat, when in the sunlight.
No humans have to live in a barrel of a rifle, and the temps will decrease in cauchy sequence. Faster when hotter and gradually slower as the differential changes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#22]
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Suppressor Meltdown! 700 round burst through an M249 SAW!
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#24]
That's just over a minute. With a suppressor, which will if anything, increase the heat retention.

I don't think heat is even in the top ten issues of designing a space rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:02:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Copper.

Copper is some thermal energy sinking shit. Tomorrow I will make a video that shows how you can extinguish a candle flame with just a small coiled piece of scrap 14AWG salvaged from ordinary romex.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
So does black powder, for that matter. KN03.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Copper.

Copper is some thermal energy sinking shit. Tomorrow I will make a video that shows how you can extinguish a candle flame with just a small coiled piece of scrap 14AWG salvaged from ordinary romex.
View Quote
your posts give me a headache
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots are missing the mark.  You don't really need a rifle for use actually out in the vacuum of space.  That doesn't make sense.  What you do want are personal defense weapons for use on board ships and inside of planetary habitats that have controlled atmospheres.

Sort of like naval combat.  Sailors aren't out swimming around shooting at each other with rifles.  Sailors are on big ass ships that have their own ship borne guns.
View Quote
Maybe your Space Force......

But ours is gonna be forging through the air lock in the vacuum closing with and destroying enemy cosmonauts.

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's completely sealed so it should.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I vote yes, since a round is already sealed and self contained.

What I wanna know is what camo is best for space
View Quote
Black with sparkles?

Here are the boots:

"My god, it's full of stars!"
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm thinking this for an optic cuz...well, space, yo.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#34]
1.  Make sure you zero your weapon to infinity because there is no bullet drop.

2.  Will need an overly aggressive compensator or as suggested earlier, a suppressor.  Gas coming out the barrel will be disruptive to the AO if in the confines of a ship.  Recoilless rifle might be an option since weight is not a factor.

3.  Why not attach the weapon to your arm and instead of a scope, use a mini camera with as a sighting device.  Output is small vid screen in helmet or eyepiece.  Your eye doesn't have to mate up to the weapon.

4.  When all is said and done, for CQ combat a squirt gun with acid might do the trick better than an AR.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#36]
TBH, that rifle looks pretty neat.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]

and

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple of mi....er....that I am posting for a friend.  Top one is the new 9mm, bottom one is a 5.56 I had engraved for fun

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You'd probably want something liquid-cooled since there is no air to cool the gun in a vacuum, there is only radiation, which won't cool the gun quickly enough.  Would have to use something that stays liquid at very cold temps.
View Quote
And of course low temperatures embrittle metals, so throw that grenade at the enemy before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Copper.

View Quote
Copper?! Copper gets a bronze medal when compared to silver!

ETA, how much faster would projectiles be traveling since there isn’t Any atmosphere in-front of the bullet?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#42]
since weight is no issue, just dual wield 50 cal barretts. even your grandma can do it in space.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
since weight is no issue, just dual wield 50 cal barretts. even your grandma can do it in space.
https://i.imgur.com/ogHR3s0.jpg
View Quote
Samuel Colt, er Elon Musk made them equal?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmm, May need some sort of caseless ammo. We don't need thousands of brass casings orbiting the earth at 17,000mph.
View Quote
that's a really good point, one I didn't think of
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
P90, all you need to do is pierce their suit and nature takes over from there.
View Quote
A decently segmented space suit will require a lot of holes to stop someone. Vacuum on skin is very survivable. There is at least one person who had a hand exposed to vacuum for several minutes and suffered no ill effects once the swelling went down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Copper.

View Quote
or you can use a liquid heat sink, just let it boil off and vent in a safe direction to cool things off

suits should keep burns from being an issue and a small can of liquid should be fine for spaceborne close-order engagements
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Well I guess this is an appropriate thread for my Sci-Fi Build.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#48]
What fore grip is this? It looks rather PS90 ish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
stock and foregrip set are the Hera Arms CQB
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
View Quote
I see lasers as a high possibility
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top