User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fixing the canted sight plane will be a bitch though. Guns aren't built with parallel to bore sights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess your optic could have a pretty simple reticle, no BDC or Mildot necessary without gravity.
Fixing the canted sight plane will be a bitch though. Guns aren't built with parallel to bore sights.
Sight the optic exactly parallel to the bore. Then your offset is the same at all distances. A 1 or 2 inch offset won’t matter at all at any distance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Copper?! Copper gets a bronze medal when compared to silver!

ETA, how much faster would projectiles be traveling since there isn’t Any atmosphere in-front of the bullet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Copper.

Copper is some thermal energy sinking shit. Tomorrow I will make a video that shows how you can extinguish a candle flame with just a small coiled piece of scrap 14AWG salvaged from ordinary romex.

ETA, how much faster would projectiles be traveling since there isn’t Any atmosphere in-front of the bullet?
Good question, and something I’ve wondered as well.  I’m not aware of it ever having been tested.

It might not increase the velocity.  The vacuum in the bore ahead of the projectile creates less resistance for the projectile, but that will also alter the burn rate of the propellant.

If the bullet jumps the lands earlier, and starts earlier down the bore, that increases the volume available to the burning propellant.  It should reduce chamber pressure.  Ideal velocities for a vacuum cartridge might be derived from different powders than a typical load for atmo.

It could be faster, slower, or a wash.  Needs to be tested (in my mind at least).
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good question, and something I've wondered as well.  I'm not aware of it ever having been tested.

It might not increase the velocity.  The vacuum in the bore ahead of the projectile creates less resistance for the projectile, but that will also alter the burn rate of the propellant.

If the bullet jumps the lands earlier, and starts earlier down the bore, that increases the volume available to the burning propellant.  It should reduce chamber pressure.  Ideal velocities for a vacuum cartridge might be derived from different powders than a typical load for atmo.

It could be faster, slower, or a wash.  Needs to be tested (in my mind at least).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Copper.

Copper is some thermal energy sinking shit. Tomorrow I will make a video that shows how you can extinguish a candle flame with just a small coiled piece of scrap 14AWG salvaged from ordinary romex.

ETA, how much faster would projectiles be traveling since there isn't Any atmosphere in-front of the bullet?
Good question, and something I've wondered as well.  I'm not aware of it ever having been tested.

compared to atmospheric pressure (or lack thereof) the chamber pressures are massive

I doubt the difference between burn rates would be statistically relevant. Normal lot to lot or even round to round inconsistency would likely be greater.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will gunpowder even combust in a vacuum?
Smokeless powder contains it's own oxidizer, so it does not need atmospheric oxygen to burn.
Which explains why you can fire it underwater.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sight the optic exactly parallel to the bore. Then your offset is the same at all distances. A 1 or 2 inch offset won’t matter at all at any distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess your optic could have a pretty simple reticle, no BDC or Mildot necessary without gravity.
You missed my point. No one makes iron sights or optic mounts built to do that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see lasers as a high possibility
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
As do most people that have never worked with lasers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Rail guns for the win
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
In space no one can hear you scream??
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Will gunpowder even combust in a vacuum?
View Quote
Combusts underwater.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rail guns for the win
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sight the optic exactly parallel to the bore. Then your offset is the same at all distances. A 1 or 2 inch offset won't matter at all at any distance.
my AR15 will do it just fine
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Need on in Star Wars space battles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parallel bore sight is within the range of adjustment of quite a few optics.

My M96 .50bmg already (intentionally) has a parallel bore zero at the bottom of the range, but with the adjustable rings I could have parallel bore near the center if I wanted.

Irons would simply require a different front sight height.

It really isn’t much of an issue FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lever action rifle or revolver.

Because most guns won't cycle properly in space.
Yeah, I wish, but we really aren’t anywhere close to that yet.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top