User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why did they go with a 1911? Because they're long on taxpayer money and short on sense.
View Quote
Appears they were using 1911s but transitioned to 2011s
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Only STI makes 2011s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference in practical accuracy comes from the trigger.  I don't think a barrel in a 2011 locks up any tighter than in a glock.

I've been dropping my mags in dust and mud for several years now.  Haven't disassembled them yet to clean them.

Again I realize I am a sample size of one.

There are too many builders of 2011s to fairly compare what we might all see at a competition to a batch of factory guns from STI.

Not to mention that after a builder gets done with the 2011, many of the competitors fuck with.  Changing out springs, using weaker ammo, cutting down magazine followers and magazine springs to get a 20 round mag to hold 23...

It muddies the water.....

I have both, and have used both for competition.  The only failure that I have ever experienced with either gun was ammunition that didn't pass a case gauge test.

I have seen 'salt shaker' mags, but I also have seen salt shaker AR-15 magazines from surefire.  That doesn't mean the AR-15 isn't reliable, it means that some magazines don't work well.  The magazine failures I have seen are always modified to hold more rounds within the 140mm limit.

My glock mags with TTI followers that hold 22 have always worked perfectly as well.  Score one for glock.  I would vouch for the quality of the magazines.
Only STI makes 2011s
Hundreds of gunmiths buy unfinished slides and frames from STI and build guns out of them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why did they go with a 1911? Because they're long on taxpayer money and short on sense.
View Quote
It's not a 1911. The only real failing (if you can call it that) of a 1911 is it's low capacity. The 2011 fixes that, and then some.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have gone with that new Wilson EDC X9 instead, haha. But the STI is still a very nice gun
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Appears they were using 1911s but transitioned to 2011s
View Quote
They’re all 1911s to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not a 1911. The only real failing (if you can call it that) of a 1911 is it's low capacity. The 2011 fixes that, and then some.
View Quote
I think we have different definitions of what constitutes a failing. 1911s were fantastic in their own time, but so was the model t.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.  The guns aren't that expensive when you consider the price of training, and lives.  It doesn't make sense to cheap out on a gun when you'll shoot many times its value in ammo through it on a regular basis, unless it's all you can afford.

It doesn't have to be Gucci, but if you are carrying it everyday it should be something you like and are comfortable shooting.
View Quote
BUT IT IS GUCCI!!! I get it it didnt have to be a $250 Glock why did it have to be a custom priced double stack 1911 that will probably cost $2000+ per firearm? How many agents are they going to equip with them 50?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think we have different definitions of what constitutes a failing. 1911s were fantastic in their own time, but so was the model t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love Glocks, truly. But comparing them to a truly good 1911(or 2011) is like comparing a butcher knife to a scalpel.  They both cut, but only one is really suitable for surgery.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want to know how they kept the magazines from turning into salt shakers during reliability testing.

I'm a 2011 fan, I own one and shot many.  Mag reliability has always been the weakest area.  You gotta keep them suckers clean.

Should have bought Glocks.
View Quote
MBX mags are your friends.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only STI makes 2011s
View Quote
Um Nope ??

Hint: EDC 9
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love Glocks, truly. But comparing them to a truly good 1911(or 2011) is like comparing a butcher knife to a scalpel.  They both cut, but only one is really suitable for surgery.
View Quote
I never said it had to be a Glock. But 1911s have been outdated since the advent of the high power. I could accept that 1911s may have some advantage as race guns (I honestly don’t know, especially since you see so many Glocks in that arena now), but as duty guns they’re hopelessly outdated.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I never said it had to be a Glock. But 1911s have been outdated since the advent of the high power. I could accept that 1911s may have some advantage as race guns (I honestly don't know, especially since you see so many Glocks in that arena now), but as duty guns they're hopelessly outdated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never said it had to be a Glock. But 1911s have been outdated since the advent of the high power. I could accept that 1911s may have some advantage as race guns (I honestly don't know, especially since you see so many Glocks in that arena now), but as duty guns they're hopelessly outdated.
Okay, I'll bite. In what way? Keep in mind I'm concerned with a modern variant, such as the one being discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
$130 each, hell yeah  !
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The gun you shoot and practice with is better than the gun you don’t.  The 2011 is a pleasure to shoot unlike the Glock.  So perhaps they’ll want to take it to the range.
View Quote
Maybe we need to buy them Ferrari's so they will practice their driving.  Lol.

It's their job.  They are fucking paid to practice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Okay, I'll bite. In what way? Keep in mind I'm concerned with a modern variant, such as the one being discussed in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, I wanna know what qualifies him as an expert on what is or isn't outdated as a duty gun.  I've been a cop nearly 30 years and at my current agency almost 22.  I've carried a 1911 or variant since day one.  I've found them superior in every way except maintenance and the 2011 isn't even maintenance intensive.  In 20k rounds all I've done is change recoil springs and mag springs.  You know, basic maintenance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:03:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

$130 each, hell yeah  !
View Quote
Wow $130 pistol mags.  Is that an industry first?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow $130 pistol mags.  Is that an industry first?
View Quote
Nah, para ordinance was about that in the Clinton era and weren't that good.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Give it a few years, and they'll all switch back.
View Quote
You are probably right.  They will sell them to the Marshall who carries it for $100
They will be able to make well over the purchase price
US Marshall owner gun.  Only X number issued.
Price $10,000
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Comparatively, they do suck.

Long range slow fire where you have ample time to carefully pull all the way through a long trigger is not really the best metric.

Shooting several shots in rapid succession, or one shot very quickly, is when a good trigger helps make a difference.
View Quote
I have the opposite opinion.  One of the reason I like Glocks is the trigger for closer, rapid shots.  It's the same shot to shot (unlike DA/SA), it's not as long as DAO.  If you ride the reset, I find it to be a very fast shooting gun (while hitting paper).
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have the opposite opinion.  One of the reason I like Glocks is the trigger for closer, rapid shots.  It's the same shot to shot (unlike DA/SA), it's not as long as DAO.  If you ride the reset, I find it to be a very fast shooting gun (while hitting paper).
View Quote
Shooting fast and riding the reset don't belong in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I never said it had to be a Glock. But 1911s have been outdated since the advent of the high power. I could accept that 1911s may have some advantage as race guns (I honestly don’t know, especially since you see so many Glocks in that are a now), but as duty guns they’re hopelessly outdated.
View Quote
Specifically how?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparatively, they do suck.

Long range slow fire where you have ample time to carefully pull all the way through a long trigger is not really the best metric.

Shooting several shots in rapid succession, or one shot very quickly, is when a good trigger helps make a difference.
2011 is not DA/SA.  Trigger is the exact same shot to shot.  And there is no need to ride the reset.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only thing "modern" about the 2011 is the name. It's the same internally as any other 1911. All they did was widen the grip to accommodate the double stack mag and add on some rails and stuff to the outside.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The only thing "modern" about the 2011 is the name. It's the same internally as any other 1911. All they did was widen the grip to accommodate the double stack mag and add on some rails and stuff to the outside.
View Quote
That’s like saying a 2019 Ford F-150 is the same internally as a 1909 Model T.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#27]
You can get whatever you want when you spend other peoples money
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
In what way is it deficient?  If it meets their reliability standards I don't see the issue.  Everyone who has shot one has acknowledged it makes getting good hits on target easier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But what makes it outdated? I refer to "modern variants" having a rail and adjustable sights, and high capacity in the case of the 2011.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But what makes it outdated? I refer to "modern variants" having a rail and adjustable sights, and high capacity in the case of the 2011.
View Quote
You could put a laser guided heat seeking missile launcher on it, but that wouldn't make it modern. That would be like taking a model T and dressing it up with a modern body and interior and saying it's the same thing as an F150. You can put whatever doodads on it you want, but the frame and engine are still model T.

To make a long story very short, suffice it to say there are good reasons why the Hi Power exists, and why virtually all semi autos have copied its design.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Umm I went and checked my 6360RDS for my Glock 17 and I couldn't stick my finger inside.
View Quote
That's probably because Safariland is a good company and continually improves their products, a RDS holster is probably a newer production model. I believe the 7TS resolved this issue as well.

Doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of level 3 ALS WML capable Glock holsters in service currently have the problem in question.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
$130 each, hell yeah  !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$130 each, hell yeah  !
I picked up five MBX mags and then had them nitrided.  I could have bought two new Glocks for the price of five mags!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Straight facts.  It’s why GLOCK dominates any shooting sport that involves shooting fast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Having more than a smidge of knowledge about this thing all that I can and will say is this -

"It's some fucked up shit."

When clown world comes to your world, it's not safe anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Shooting fast and riding the reset don't belong in the same sentence.
View Quote
Why not.  You are just taking up the excess trigger stroke during the recoil impulse and when your sights hit paper again, you just finish it.

You are riding the trigger on the point where it resets, which has a firmer feel.  Very short pull, very fast to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I picked up five MBX mags and then had them nitrided.  I could have bought two new Glocks for the price of five mags!  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340387/AFF037FD-C05D-4DC4-809E-FD43ED172A17_jpeg-1070133.JPG
View Quote
I know that feel, bro.

I love everything about my MBX mags except for what I paid for them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340387/AFF037FD-C05D-4DC4-809E-FD43ED172A17_jpeg-1070133.JPG
View Quote
Where did you send them to be nitrided?

@GreenGoose
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@GreenGoose
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GreenGoose
A friend in the industry.  I hesitate to mention because that's not a listed service of theirs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Straight facts.  It’s why GLOCK dominates any shooting sport that involves shooting fast.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Glock doesn't even dominate production division of USPSA.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hundreds of gunmiths buy unfinished slides and frames from STI and build guns out of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference in practical accuracy comes from the trigger.  I don't think a barrel in a 2011 locks up any tighter than in a glock.

I've been dropping my mags in dust and mud for several years now.  Haven't disassembled them yet to clean them.

Again I realize I am a sample size of one.

There are too many builders of 2011s to fairly compare what we might all see at a competition to a batch of factory guns from STI.

Not to mention that after a builder gets done with the 2011, many of the competitors fuck with.  Changing out springs, using weaker ammo, cutting down magazine followers and magazine springs to get a 20 round mag to hold 23...

It muddies the water.....

I have both, and have used both for competition.  The only failure that I have ever experienced with either gun was ammunition that didn't pass a case gauge test.

I have seen 'salt shaker' mags, but I also have seen salt shaker AR-15 magazines from surefire.  That doesn't mean the AR-15 isn't reliable, it means that some magazines don't work well.  The magazine failures I have seen are always modified to hold more rounds within the 140mm limit.

My glock mags with TTI followers that hold 22 have always worked perfectly as well.  Score one for glock.  I would vouch for the quality of the magazines.
Only STI makes 2011s
He's probably referring to the fact that only STI owns the designation "2011" as a trademark to refer to the Strayer-Tripp modular grip frame design.   It's much like the "only Armalite makes an AR-10" argument that we've had here for years.    Obviously, there are other companies making frames of this style, to include Cheely / CK, Phoenix Trinity, Brazos Custom, etc.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Only STI makes 2011s
Um Nope ??

Hint: EDC 9
EDC 9 would not be considered a 2011, much like a Para Ordnance style frame would not be considered a 2011.  A rule of thumb is that if it doesn't use 2011 mags, it's not a 2011.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure if you are serious.

From the 2018 USPSA Nationals Equipment Survey:  https://uspsa.org/magazine/display//2019-01 Starting on page 58.

Firearm Manufacturer (top 5) by Division:
Open:  STI, SVI, Arai, Limcat, Atlas, Phoenix Trinity
Carry Optics: Sig Saur, CZ-USA, Glock (16%), Walther, S&W, Springfield Armory
Production:  CZ-USA, Tanfoglio/EAA, Glock (11%), Sig Sauer, Walther, Other
Limited/L10:  STI, SVI, Phoenix Trinity, CZ-USA, Glock (6%), Tanfoglio/EAA

I left out PCC, Single Stack, and Revolver since a Glock does not make firearms that meet those division rules.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Um Nope ??

Hint: EDC x9
View Quote
Still not close, keep trying.

1911 Frame
Attachment Attached File

2011 Frame
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riding the reset is pretty much out of style with the fast trigger pullers.   Generally, the only time they do that is when they have to slow down for longer or tighter shots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some of yall are thicker than a HK Mark 23.  

I'm laughing my ass off at the "Glocks shoot fast because you can ride the reset" just like everyone else is.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm laughing my ass off at the "Glocks shoot fast because you can ride the reset" just like everyone else is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an engineer, I'm deficient in catching things like that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm an engineer, I'm deficient in catching things like that.
View Quote
I'm not sure I could have made it any less subtle.  Everyone who isn't pontificating about riding the reset to shoot fast because they've been to matches where people actually shoot fast already knows my first post was complete and utter bullshit.  

ETA: I get sarcasm being hard to pick up on in GD.  So much stupid stuff gets posted here sometimes it's almost impossible to tell what is cheeky fun and what is serious derp.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't get why people care.  USMS absolutely NEEDS their firearms.  They handle a ton of violent fugitive work under hugely sub optimal circumstances (limited manpower, crazy hours, short notice, no time to plan).

SOG is a small unit within that that handles extremely high risk events.

The STI is a great pistol...it is a race car to be sure and requires race car level support...but it is a valid tool.  If I had the armorer support and budget, I would gladly carry one.  It's not a general issue weapon, but it would be great in certain mission sets.

If you care capable of driving a race car and your job involves racing...you should have a race car.  Not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lots I can say here.... have you ever attended a major pistol type match?

80% of the shooters have a 2011 or sparkly CZ. Any glocks you see are usually noobs who ditch them as soon as they can afford to upgrade. if you look at the few pro shooters who run Glocks the frame is usually the only thing factory on the gun, and that usually has some type of modification.

edit* I was late in on that one
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top