View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Obscured serial number.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
There is no free lunch with accuracy. The 2011 is more accurate than a glock because the clearances between the barrel, slide, and frame are smaller. This is great until you introduce environmental particulates and things get crunchy. Same with the mags. Very little margin for adversity.

The 2011 is a range gun. That's what it is designed for and that's what its good for.
View Quote
The difference in practical accuracy comes from the trigger.  I don't think a barrel in a 2011 locks up any tighter than in a glock.

I've been dropping my mags in dust and mud for several years now.  Haven't disassembled them yet to clean them.

Again I realize I am a sample size of one.

There are too many builders of 2011s to fairly compare what we might all see at a competition to a batch of factory guns from STI.

Not to mention that after a builder gets done with the 2011, many of the competitors fuck with.  Changing out springs, using weaker ammo, cutting down magazine followers and magazine springs to get a 20 round mag to hold 23...

It muddies the water.....

I have both, and have used both for competition.  The only failure that I have ever experienced with either gun was ammunition that didn't pass a case gauge test.

I have seen 'salt shaker' mags, but I also have seen salt shaker AR-15 magazines from surefire.  That doesn't mean the AR-15 isn't reliable, it means that some magazines don't work well.  The magazine failures I have seen are always modified to hold more rounds within the 140mm limit.

My glock mags with TTI followers that hold 22 have always worked perfectly as well.  Score one for glock.  I would vouch for the quality of the magazines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Obscured serial number.
View Quote
When ms paint, electrical tape or a sticky note is just out of reach.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't know about the NUT-STACK mod?

Jeezzz.  Being an ARFCOMMER used to mean something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You don't know about the NUT-STACK mod?

Jeezzz.  Being an ARFCOMMER used to mean something.
View Quote
The nuts are welded to the frame.  It keeps your trigger finger out of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I listened to a podcast on STI the other day, on Primary and Secondary. They discussed this exact deal, along with the long beach swat team doing the same thing! I guess STI's entire management structure changed from last year to now?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are easier to shoot, no argument there.

The problem is they are not failure tolerant and they do not do well in adverse conditions. I have Gen 1 glock mags that still work fine in current guns with the original worn out mag springs. That doesn't work with a 2011.

I shoot competitively too and I have seen many "reliable" 2011 variants randomly fail on a 1 way range. Always some excuse: mags, cleaning, ammo etc etc. Glocks fail too but not nearly as often.

There is no free lunch with accuracy. The 2011 is more accurate than a glock because the clearances between the barrel, slide, and frame are smaller. This is great until you introduce environmental particulates and things get crunchy. Same with the mags. Very little margin for adversity.

The 2011 is a range gun. That's what it is designed for and that's what its good for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
interesting to see who's shot a decent STI (or similar race gun) and who hasn't.

I've owned and competed with a few STI in single and double stack for a while. I shot 2 examples of the staccato P recently and they are freaking laser guns. Newer shooters were averaging better times on plate racks with them than any of the other polymer guns they were used to.  If you don't dick with the mags trying to get ultimate capacity and stick with standard you'll be fine. Same as when people throw followers on glock mags, stuff get's wonky. A good single action trigger is really a joy to shoot and significantly more accurate for many people. Myself included. I make better hits with 1911s than anything else, and in competition speed and accuracy matter. While I've never been in a 2 way range, i would imagine I'd want those advantages as well.

In fact I do, it's why I'm getting an STI staccato C to carry. Forgetting to turn off a safety is a software issue, not hardware. Train with your shit. I train with a 1911 and have no issue. I would put my times and accuracy up against damn near anyone I know.

There's a reason almost no open/limited shooters that win matches shoot glocks (unless sponsored by them). It's easier to shoot a better gun better. Most people don't shoot enough to know or use the difference. Those that can sure deserve it.

The problem is they are not failure tolerant and they do not do well in adverse conditions. I have Gen 1 glock mags that still work fine in current guns with the original worn out mag springs. That doesn't work with a 2011.

I shoot competitively too and I have seen many "reliable" 2011 variants randomly fail on a 1 way range. Always some excuse: mags, cleaning, ammo etc etc. Glocks fail too but not nearly as often.

I started out shooting striker fired guns and learned to shoot them well. When I jumped to a 2011 my pistol ability jumped by leaps and bounds, I no longer struggled with 60+ yard shots and closer precision type targets. They are simply more accurate and easier to shoot than striker fired guns.

As to reliability.... I shoot my 2011 a lot (6-8k rounds a year for about 5 years now, not as much as some operator/gamer types but much more than the average joe). I don't clean it as much as I should and I clean my mags once a year. I've never had mag issues, in fact I've never had issues period with the gun.

Glocks are a great combat weapon that also have a great price point, but given the choice I'd carry a 2011 if my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 2011 is a 1911 where the frame was modified to accept a modular polymer grip that accepts a double stack magazine.

The rest of the parts interchange with a 1911.

We know what the 1911 was designed for......

The glock is a very interesting design that accounts for modern manufacturing processes of the 1980s.

The highly advanced computer controlled CNC machines of the current day allow for the precise production of 1911 or 2011 pistols that do not require the hand fitting that was necessary when the 1911 was first built.

Some custom builders still do that last bit of fitting by hand, but issues like feed ramp geometry are not a problem.

Glocks work great, and they are cheaper and lighter.

STIs work great, they are heavier and more expensive.  They are easier to shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
That is quite a budget that they are working with.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Should have gone with the Sig P320. When you’re down to the last round, you can just throw it at them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The grip lengths are different but the dust cover size is the same 19 length.  So you can put their newly developed 47 slide on the 19.  It works in the same way a 34 does on a 17.  It's meant to simplify logistics of spare parts (recoil springs are the same between the 47 and 19) plus you can swap out either frame for any slide if  guns are down
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the getting the special G19L's or is the Border Patrol?
Border Patrol (Customs and Border Protection) isn't getting a "19L" they are getting 17/19/26 size frames.  The 47 just has a 19 dust cover but still a 17 length slide, they're also MOS cut
OK....I thought I read something about that 17 slide going on a 19 frame.
The grip lengths are different but the dust cover size is the same 19 length.  So you can put their newly developed 47 slide on the 19.  It works in the same way a 34 does on a 17.  It's meant to simplify logistics of spare parts (recoil springs are the same between the 47 and 19) plus you can swap out either frame for any slide if  guns are down
Thanks for clarifying that for me.  Sounds like the P30 is putting some pressure on Glock.  Not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock triggers suck...

250 Meter Shot with a Pistol!

Glock 20 with stock trigger and barrel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glock triggers suck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMEwBt9wIA

Glock 20 with stock trigger and barrel.
View Quote
Comparatively, they do suck.

Long range slow fire where you have ample time to carefully pull all the way through a long trigger is not really the best metric.

Shooting several shots in rapid succession, or one shot very quickly, is when a good trigger helps make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Still a better gun than glock has ever produced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Deleted

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Who want less barrier penetration and capacity, were talking duty guns.  Normally I'll argue in defense of choosing a .45acp as a self defense pistol for the average person, but not at all for LEO/.mil use anymore. 9x19 all the way. Why? Barrier penetration & capacity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Give it a few years, and they'll all switch back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#19]
VP9 L is the answer
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#20]
2011 is a superior gun under ideal conditions. The trigger can’t even be compared.

The mags have to be tuned frequently because the feed lips and body will flex with ordinary use.

Also, factory ammo tends to feed poorly in 2011’s; I make my USPSA loads to 1.188, whereas most factory will come in around 1.135. The only time I have issues are when I have a high primer or if my mag falls out of spec.

I could see straying from Glock to a metal framed Sig or something....but a 2011 is too needy for duty use and that’s coming from someone who owns both platforms.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, that's fairly dumb.

Seriously, what can a 1911/2011 do for them that a GLOCK can't for a fifth the price?

The Tribal Marshals here in OK switched back to GLOCK from the 2011.
View Quote
Someone got an envelope or a promised a position when they retire.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe, maybe not.

You completely overlook my main point that addresses the exposed hammer disparity between striker and hammer.

Also, not all revolvers have exposed hammers....

I'd rather they have picked the m17 over the sti, still a better duty gun than the 1911....even if the m17 is a striker gun lacking an exposed hammer.
View Quote
Most of the bullet holes in our older precincts in places that shouldn't have bullet holes are from .38 special/.357...

The striker control device would be an excellent solution to the problem of constant pointing and reholstering and handling of a duty gun... if Glock made it stock, because most agencies won't let you modify the handgun in such a way.

I'm not pushing for everyone to go to 2011s or return to Sig P220s or wheelguns... I'm simply pointing out that striker fired guns with no safety are an ND waiting to happen when you put enough of them on the street, carried by people who handle them a LOT and shoot them a LITTLE, and routinely shove them into a holster without looking.

I carry a Glock both on and off duty. Off duty I have zero complaints, because if it comes out it is probably getting shot and we will worry about reholstering later.

On duty... It fucking sucks drawing down on some felon who then decides to run/fight and now I have to quickly reholster a handgun with no safety and light-ish trigger that can discharge even when fully holstered.

With hammer guns you can shove your thumb onto the hammer when reholstering or doing other stuff you don't want the gun firing. With safety gun you can flick the safety on. With Glocks you just pray there isn't a jacket drawstring or a stray key hanger or something that's going to catch on the reholstering. 99.9% of the time it is fine, I just prefer a positive technological solution to hope and prayers.

It really isn't that hard to incorporate deactivating a safety into drawing a handgun.

And again, if you want to use WML's, which you should, you face the problem that the most common duty holster on the planet for that gun/light combo allows you, or anyone/anything else to access and pull the trigger while holstered and strapped in.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Sweet looking pistol, I’m good with it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most of the bullet holes in our older precincts in places that shouldn't have bullet holes are from .38 special/.357...

The striker control device would be an excellent solution to the problem of constant pointing and reholstering and handling of a duty gun... if Glock made it stock, because most agencies won't let you modify the handgun in such a way.

I'm not pushing for everyone to go to 2011s or return to Sig P220s or wheelguns... I'm simply pointing out that striker fired guns with no safety are an ND waiting to happen when you put enough of them on the street, carried by people who handle them a LOT and shoot them a LITTLE, and routinely shove them into a holster without looking.

I carry a Glock both on and off duty. Off duty I have zero complaints, because if it comes out it is probably getting shot and we will worry about reholstering later.

On duty... It fucking sucks drawing down on some felon who then decides to run/fight and now I have to quickly reholster a handgun with no safety and light-ish trigger that can discharge even when fully holstered.

With hammer guns you can shove your thumb onto the hammer when reholstering or doing other stuff you don't want the gun firing. With safety gun you can flick the safety on. With Glocks you just pray there isn't a jacket drawstring or a stray key hanger or something that's going to catch on the reholstering. 99.9% of the time it is fine, I just prefer a positive technological solution to hope and prayers.

It really isn't that hard to incorporate deactivating a safety into drawing a handgun.

And again, if you want to use WML's, which you should, you face the problem that the most common duty holster on the planet for that gun/light combo allows you, or anyone/anything else to access and pull the trigger while holstered and strapped in.
View Quote
But most here poo-poo any gun with a manual safety that isn't a 1911, BHP or CZ-75 style pistol.  Look at the posts about the M&Ps that have them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Glock 19 and the Glock 47 were chosen for issue. The STI was just for SOG and special teams.
View Quote
Didn't realize they also inked a contract for the 19/47.  I figured they would've been under the FBI 17M/19M contract being they're DOJ
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Starting with Gen4, you can change the grip angle on a Glock.  It's been nearly 10 years.
View Quote
No, you can’t.  You can add a bit of a beavertail, or make the stupid backstrap hump a little less pronounced, but it still has the same flintlock dueling pistol ergos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
@SpacemanSpiff

dicked with guns, light loaded ammo, trying to get too many rounds in the magazine for competition reasons. I've seen people do this and get 2011s to fail. I've gotten Glocks to fail with the same reasons.

if you run 2011s with standard ammo and without fucking with the mags, you're good to go. That's what I imagine these guys do, and that's how I'll carry mine when it's all set up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#28]
No gold-plated option? Clearly, you, traitors, don't support our troops!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
I saw a cop in Austin carrying a rig like that about 10 years ago. I didn't realize they had that sort of leeway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In this thread.

Jimmies will be rustled
View Quote
you rang?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#31]
It's like some people cant be bothered to read the article I thoroughly researched and posted.

They are 9mm double stack 2011s, not .45

I support their choice.

I enjoy my .40sw STI more than most pistols
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Seriously, what can a 1911/2011 do for them that a GLOCK can't for a fifth the price?

View Quote
Cherokee Marshals are switching to the newest STI offering.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When they need it in a hurry they might want to remember to take the safety off, or cock the hammer, because you just know  someone is going to mess that up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need to spend 3k to get it, but the absolute biggest failing of Glock as a law enforcement gun is a lack of manual safety or a hammer that can be thumbed down on reholstering.

Yes, I am about to get dog piled by the GD Striker Fired This is My Safety brigade, don't care. LE guns get drawn, pointed, and quickly and blindly reholstered FAR more than they get used to shoot people.

LE guns also are often in hand during activities likely to lead to negligent discharges. They probably shouldn't be, but the reality is they are, and will be because people do dumb shit under stress despite training. I can think of 5-10 ND incidents from personal experience that would not have happened with a manual safety engaged.

Don't even get me started on the Safariland Glock holsters cut for WMLs that let a sausage finger sized object into the trigger guard while holstered with all retention devices engaged.
When they need it in a hurry they might want to remember to take the safety off, or cock the hammer, because you just know  someone is going to mess that up.
Why would they need to cock it? I would guess the USMS SOG are professional enough to load the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’m a big fan of the 1911 and shoot/ compete with them often...

But for work I carry Glock....
View Quote
I gotta say. As big a fan as I am of other designs I think the g19 is a great GP weapon. Wading through jungles, sometimes swimming, with a SAW through brackish water. Yes I'd rather have a g19.

As a DA civilian a 2011 has some nice benefits for thoughs who can shoot well enough to appreciate them.

I'm chilling at home right now with my MC Operator aiwb. I've carried guns through some pretty thick bush and a 1911, owb is not what I would choose first. I've had stoppages in VT while hunting after some bushwacking. Flap holsters, or concealed help too.

Hammer fired TDA guns mitigate that issue too. LEOs are much less likely, albeit I could see a raid on a Florida methlab causing similar issues, to encounter crud like that.

With a DA unit that belts on their gear, does their mission, and goes home a 2011 makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why would they need to cock it? I would guess the USMS SOG are professional enough to load the chamber.
View Quote
Because we just know someone is going to feel uncomfortable cocked and locked at all times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like there are 3547 US Deputy Marshals.  The Gov spends more than they spent for those guns by 12:02 AM every day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh just stop
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Not for nothing, but if someone actually got what they wanted from Uncle Sugar, then I am happy for them. We are way too "one size fits all".
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Starting with Gen4, you can change the grip angle on a Glock.  It's been nearly 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not have a unnatural grip angle?
Has it been that long? I just dremeled my gen 3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
interesting to see who's shot a decent STI (or similar race gun) and who hasn't.

I've owned and competed with a few STI in single and double stack for a while. I shot 2 examples of the staccato P recently and they are freaking laser guns. Newer shooters were averaging better times on plate racks with them than any of the other polymer guns they were used to.  If you don't dick with the mags trying to get ultimate capacity and stick with standard you'll be fine. Same as when people throw followers on glock mags, stuff get's wonky. A good single action trigger is really a joy to shoot and significantly more accurate for many people. Myself included. I make better hits with 1911s than anything else, and in competition speed and accuracy matter. While I've never been in a 2 way range, i would imagine I'd want those advantages as well.

In fact I do, it's why I'm getting an STI staccato C to carry. Forgetting to turn off a safety is a software issue, not hardware. Train with your shit. I train with a 1911 and have no issue. I would put my times and accuracy up against damn near anyone I know.

There's a reason almost no open/limited shooters that win matches shoot glocks (unless sponsored by them). It's easier to shoot a better gun better. Most people don't shoot enough to know or use the difference. Those that can sure deserve it.
View Quote
I'm only a b class shooter but I tend to hit smaller, farther targets better at comps.

I shoot with M/GM shooters and still smoked some of them on this stage.

A small mover at 25 yards
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true. Tighter guns can keep crap out of the gun.
@Samuse has explained it better than I can
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looks like there are 3547 US Deputy Marshals.  The Gov spends more than they spent for those guns by 12:02 AM every day.
View Quote
@Staggunner

There are only about 100 deputies in the US Marshals SOG.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The difference in practical accuracy comes from the trigger.  I don't think a barrel in a 2011 locks up any tighter than in a glock.

I've been dropping my mags in dust and mud for several years now.  Haven't disassembled them yet to clean them.

Again I realize I am a sample size of one.

There are too many builders of 2011s to fairly compare what we might all see at a competition to a batch of factory guns from STI.

Not to mention that after a builder gets done with the 2011, many of the competitors fuck with.  Changing out springs, using weaker ammo, cutting down magazine followers and magazine springs to get a 20 round mag to hold 23...

It muddies the water.....

I have both, and have used both for competition.  The only failure that I have ever experienced with either gun was ammunition that didn't pass a case gauge test.

I have seen 'salt shaker' mags, but I also have seen salt shaker AR-15 magazines from surefire.  That doesn't mean the AR-15 isn't reliable, it means that some magazines don't work well.  The magazine failures I have seen are always modified to hold more rounds within the 140mm limit.

My glock mags with TTI followers that hold 22 have always worked perfectly as well.  Score one for glock.  I would vouch for the quality of the magazines.
View Quote
Only STI makes 2011s
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Sure. Why not?

It's not like we're in debt as a result of out of line spending, or anything
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who want less barrier penetration and capacity, were talking duty guns.  Normally I'll argue in defense of choosing a .45acp as a self defense pistol for the average person, but not at all for LEO/.mil use anymore. 9x19 all the way. Why? Barrier penetration & capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
.45 can do better through barriers. I'll take a .45 over a 9mm for shooting through a deer shoulder any day.

Never was able to do direct comparacents on people.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn it Marshals, now I want one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You don't need to spend 3k to get it, but the absolute biggest failing of Glock as a law enforcement gun is a lack of manual safety or a hammer that can be thumbed down on reholstering.

Yes, I am about to get dog piled by the GD Striker Fired This is My Safety brigade, don't care. LE guns get drawn, pointed, and quickly and blindly reholstered FAR more than they get used to shoot people.

LE guns also are often in hand during activities likely to lead to negligent discharges. They probably shouldn't be, but the reality is they are, and will be because people do dumb shit under stress despite training. I can think of 5-10 ND incidents from personal experience that would not have happened with a manual safety engaged.

Don't even get me started on the Safariland Glock holsters cut for WMLs that let a sausage finger sized object into the trigger guard while holstered with all retention devices engaged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) A better trigger

2) Smoother traveling slide during operation

are two that immediately come to mind.

Umm I went and checked my 6360RDS for my Glock 17 and I couldn't stick my finger inside.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Why did they go with a 1911? Because they're long on taxpayer money and short on sense.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is for SOG.  Not the whole agency.  And there aren't very many members of SOG.  Just anecdotally, I have met quite a few DUSM's.  I have only met one SOG guy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Ehh, who cares, I don't
Lets see how it goes after a few years
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top