Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) A better trigger

2) Smoother traveling slide during operation

are two that immediately come to mind.
View Quote
Neither if which are relevant for the purpose of the firearms in question.  I have an sti and love it, but that's an absurd amount of money to waste on a government duty pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Half this thread doesn't know the difference between a 2011 and 1911.

Interesting choice, but I'd rather see more rather than less options out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is true of competition guns.  The latest generation of STI mags has a great follower, seem to be in spec from the factory I should fucking hope... and the last round hold open works like it should I've never owned a gun which had magazines that did not - that this actually needs to be said is saying enough.. .  I bought ten of them this spring for my Omni and they've all been 100% reliable after thousands of rounds.  It's when you start piecing together mags for competition that things require fine tuning.  For example, I'm using SVI tubes with Gram's springs and followers and Dawson basepads.  While these things are all designed to work together, you have to fiddle with them a bit to make them all fit together.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The biggest thing is that the 2011 magazines are pretty sketch, to the point that Dawson sells a $99 tuning kit for them:

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sti-2011-hicap-magazine-tuning-kit/

This is a 'feature' unique to the 2011; I'm not aware of any other pistol by major manufacturers that require tuning.
That is true of competition guns.  The latest generation of STI mags has a great follower, seem to be in spec from the factory I should fucking hope... and the last round hold open works like it should I've never owned a gun which had magazines that did not - that this actually needs to be said is saying enough.. .  I bought ten of them this spring for my Omni and they've all been 100% reliable after thousands of rounds.  It's when you start piecing together mags for competition that things require fine tuning.  For example, I'm using SVI tubes with Gram's springs and followers and Dawson basepads.  While these things are all designed to work together, you have to fiddle with them a bit to make them all fit together.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Half this thread doesn't know the difference between a 2011 and 1911.

Interesting choice, but I'd rather see more rather than less options out there.
View Quote
And more doesn't know who USMS SOG is or what they do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Rangers have always been vain. I don't have a problem with that as they have a lot of history and Texans are proud of that. I'm ok with the money spent on this. We waste more on stupider stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, that's fairly dumb.

Seriously, what can a 1911/2011 do for them that a GLOCK can't for a fifth the price?

The Tribal Marshals here in OK switched back to GLOCK from the 2011.
View Quote
not have a unnatural grip angle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Neither if which are relevant for the purpose of the firearms in question.  I have an sti and love it, but that's an absurd amount of money to waste on a government duty pistol.
View Quote
How are either  of those not relevant to a handgun being used by a federal tactical team?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool story.

Just don’t get into a gunfight and everything will be fine.
View Quote
From the research I have done watching Justified they average several gunfights an hour
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't need to spend 3k to get it, but the absolute biggest failing of Glock as a law enforcement gun is a lack of manual safety or a hammer that can be thumbed down on reholstering.

Yes, I am about to get dog piled by the GD Striker Fired This is My Safety brigade, don't care. LE guns get drawn, pointed, and quickly and blindly reholstered FAR more than they get used to shoot people.

LE guns also are often in hand during activities likely to lead to negligent discharges. They probably shouldn't be, but the reality is they are, and will be because people do dumb shit under stress despite training. I can think of 5-10 ND incidents from personal experience that would not have happened with a manual safety engaged.

Don't even get me started on the Safariland Glock holsters cut for WMLs that let a sausage finger sized object into the trigger guard while holstered with all retention devices engaged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) A better trigger

2) Smoother traveling slide during operation

are two that immediately come to mind.
You don't need to spend 3k to get it, but the absolute biggest failing of Glock as a law enforcement gun is a lack of manual safety or a hammer that can be thumbed down on reholstering.

Yes, I am about to get dog piled by the GD Striker Fired This is My Safety brigade, don't care. LE guns get drawn, pointed, and quickly and blindly reholstered FAR more than they get used to shoot people.

LE guns also are often in hand during activities likely to lead to negligent discharges. They probably shouldn't be, but the reality is they are, and will be because people do dumb shit under stress despite training. I can think of 5-10 ND incidents from personal experience that would not have happened with a manual safety engaged.

Don't even get me started on the Safariland Glock holsters cut for WMLs that let a sausage finger sized object into the trigger guard while holstered with all retention devices engaged.
You are correct but I knew one cop that carried a 1911 that died because he did not take the safety off.  If he had a glock he might be alive.  This guy obviously did not practice enough but dead is dead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As much as we'd all like to believe that "special" military and police units are all about mission first, the fact is a whole lot of their decision making circles back to "look at me." For example, military special units and the pervasive Viking beard, you know, so tribal elders respect them or some such bullshit.
View Quote
The vast majority of SWAT teams are a self-licking ice cream, waiting for a place to occur.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
So the years upon years of revolver use by LE (mind you, none have safeties)....no big deal.

Glock, no external safety.....OMFG!!!!

If you want something to put your thumb on to holster, get a striker control device (SCD) put on the Glocks.  Still a better gun for duty use than any 1911.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting choice, will be neat to see how the hold up under use in a LE capacity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This. New gen mags are nothing like the 2011 mags of old. The new mags just plain work. That solves 99% of the issues people used to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STI switched owners in 2018.  The new owners poured a shitload of money and machinery into developing a duty-ready pistol.  They also pared the line of pistols down to a Comp line and Duty line.  Further, they had the magazines re-designed and switched the mag manufacture to a major magazine company.  The new mags are nothing like the old mags that needed to be "tuned."  They had Dawson of Dawson Precision come on as a consultant to train all of the gunsmiths who assemble the guns and improve processes.  I am purchasing one, at the special guy price, and will carry it on duty after I get about 2k rounds and a lot of draws and manipulation practice with it.  It will replace my Nighthawk Costa.

The real problem with STI's for duty is duty holster availability.
This. New gen mags are nothing like the 2011 mags of old. The new mags just plain work. That solves 99% of the issues people used to have.
I'll have to pick up some new mags. The problems I've had are the magazine feed lips deforming when they hit the ground too many times.

First, though, I need to actually get back to the range and shoot. It's probably been well over a year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are the getting the special G19L's or is the Border Patrol?
View Quote
Border Patrol (Customs and Border Protection) isn't getting a "19L" they are getting 17/19/26 size frames.  The 47 just has a 19 dust cover but still a 17 length slide, they're also MOS cut
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Border Patrol (Customs and Border Protection) isn't getting a "19L" they are getting 17/19/26 size frames.  The 47 just has a 19 dust cover but still a 17 length slide, they're also MOS cut
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK....I thought I read something about that 17 slide going on a 19 frame.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the best of both.  Sig 226 Legion
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Those 2011’s are cool, but they made the wrong choice IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Why pay for your dream gun when you can make the taxpayer foot the bill?
They can afford to buy a Glock if they want one, but the STI is probably a bit too steep.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]
If they want a 45 they should go with a CZ 97
All steel and higher capacity
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Should have gotten then from CMP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That revolver also had a 10lb trigger pull, and an external hammer. Glock has a 5lb trigger pull and no external hammer.  It's moot anyway, the future is Sig P320 with or without manual safety it is the direction of the future.
View Quote
Maybe, maybe not.

You completely overlook my main point that addresses the exposed hammer disparity between striker and hammer.

Also, not all revolvers have exposed hammers....

I'd rather they have picked the m17 over the sti, still a better duty gun than the 1911....even if the m17 is a striker gun lacking an exposed hammer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow - those grips are
View All Quotes
It's not really 'grips.'  It's just the grip.  It's a modular polymer grip attached to the 'frame' that starts off looking like an old-school checkered 1911 grip that usually gets customized with stipling or rock tumbling media.  It's not like a 1911 where it is a grip that is installed/removed.  And while it may not look the greatest (the stipling), it's probably very effective.  I use 2-part epoxy and rock tumbling media on my 2011 grips, and love the traction it provides.  Would probably suck to carry it, though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The grip lengths are different but the dust cover size is the same 19 length.  So you can put their newly developed 47 slide on the 19.  It works in the same way a 34 does on a 17.  It's meant to simplify logistics of spare parts (recoil springs are the same between the 47 and 19) plus you can swap out either frame for any slide if  guns are down
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
STI switched owners in 2018.  The new owners poured a shitload of money and machinery into developing a duty-ready pistol.  They also pared the line of pistols down to a Comp line and Duty line.  Further, they had the magazines re-designed and switched the mag manufacture to a major magazine company.  The new mags are nothing like the old mags that needed to be "tuned."  They had Dawson of Dawson Precision come on as a consultant to train all of the gunsmiths who assemble the guns and improve processes.  I am purchasing one, at the special guy price, and will carry it on duty after I get about 2k rounds and a lot of draws and manipulation practice with it.  It will replace my Nighthawk Costa.

The real problem with STI's for duty is duty holster availability.
View Quote
They use the exact same holster as a regular 1911 with a rail or a weapon light. I carried one for almost a decade.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If they want a 45 they should go with a CZ 97
All steel and higher capacity
View Quote
There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Glocks are like the overweight skank at the bar every night blowing dues in the bathroom for free.

yeah she's easy, she's good for that night you need her, but you don't want to be caught with her on your hip out on the town
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's moot anyway, the future is Sig P320 with or without manual safety it is the direction of the future.
I heard Sig is really ramping up production.

Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

“STI’s are unreliable crap. They can’t be trusted for duty use. Cops shouldn’t carry them.” etc. etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting choice, will be neat to see how the hold up under use in a LE capacity.
View Quote
They should be able to hold up to occasional range use and successfully shoot dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Cute toy.

Now with 150% more nuts!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Still a better gun than glock has ever produced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Still a better gun than glock has ever produced.
I am sorry to have to tell you that you are quite delusional.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, what can a 1911/2011 do for them that a GLOCK can't for a fifth the price?

Starting with Gen4, you can change the grip angle on a Glock.  It's been nearly 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
You're going to get killed in the streets with that.  What if you forget to take the safety off?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Starting with Gen4, you can change the grip angle on a Glock.  It's been nearly 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The grip angle argument is goofy as fuck anyway.

For recoil control from an ergonomic standpoint the glock angle is actually better. If your tiny brain can't move your front sight down the fraction of an inch required to bring a glock on target compared to a 1911, maybe shooting pistols isn't your thing to begin with.

I shoot glocks, CZ-75 variants, and 1911 variants interchangeably and it boggles the mind to think that there are people that somehow can't handle the slight change between them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The vast majority of SWAT teams are a self-licking ice cream, waiting for a place to occur.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as we'd all like to believe that "special" military and police units are all about mission first, the fact is a whole lot of their decision making circles back to "look at me." For example, military special units and the pervasive Viking beard, you know, so tribal elders respect them or some such bullshit.
Also this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#41]
It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian. What a complete waste of my tax dollars.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#42]
interesting to see who's shot a decent STI (or similar race gun) and who hasn't.

I've owned and competed with a few STI in single and double stack for a while. I shot 2 examples of the staccato P recently and they are freaking laser guns. Newer shooters were averaging better times on plate racks with them than any of the other polymer guns they were used to.  If you don't dick with the mags trying to get ultimate capacity and stick with standard you'll be fine. Same as when people throw followers on glock mags, stuff get's wonky. A good single action trigger is really a joy to shoot and significantly more accurate for many people. Myself included. I make better hits with 1911s than anything else, and in competition speed and accuracy matter. While I've never been in a 2 way range, i would imagine I'd want those advantages as well.

In fact I do, it's why I'm getting an STI staccato C to carry. Forgetting to turn off a safety is a software issue, not hardware. Train with your shit. I train with a 1911 and have no issue. I would put my times and accuracy up against damn near anyone I know.

There's a reason almost no open/limited shooters that win matches shoot glocks (unless sponsored by them). It's easier to shoot a better gun better. Most people don't shoot enough to know or use the difference. Those that can sure deserve it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For recoil control from an ergonomic standpoint the glock angle is actually better. If your tiny brain can't move your front sight down the fraction of an inch required to bring a glock on target compared to a 1911, maybe shooting pistols isn't your thing to begin with.

I shoot glocks, CZ-75 variants, and 1911 variants interchangeably and it boggles the mind to think that there are people that somehow can't handle the slight change between them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then *muh bore axis* guys come in and the pistol threads really start to get spicy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
interesting to see who's shot a decent STI (or similar race gun) and who hasn't.

I've owned and competed with a few STI in single and double stack for a while. I shot 2 examples of the staccato P recently and they are freaking laser guns. Newer shooters were averaging better times on plate racks with them than any of the other polymer guns they were used to.  If you don't dick with the mags trying to get ultimate capacity and stick with standard you'll be fine. Same as when people throw followers on glock mags, stuff get's wonky. A good single action trigger is really a joy to shoot and significantly more accurate for many people. Myself included. I make better hits with 1911s than anything else, and in competition speed and accuracy matter. While I've never been in a 2 way range, i would imagine I'd want those advantages as well.

In fact I do, it's why I'm getting an STI staccato C to carry. Forgetting to turn off a safety is a software issue, not hardware. Train with your shit. I train with a 1911 and have no issue. I would put my times and accuracy up against damn near anyone I know.

There's a reason almost no open/limited shooters that win matches shoot glocks (unless sponsored by them). It's easier to shoot a better gun better. Most people don't shoot enough to know or use the difference. Those that can sure deserve it.
View Quote
They are easier to shoot, no argument there.

The problem is they are not failure tolerant and they do not do well in adverse conditions. I have Gen 1 glock mags that still work fine in current guns with the original worn out mag springs. That doesn't work with a 2011.

I shoot competitively too and I have seen many "reliable" 2011 variants randomly fail on a 1 way range. Always some excuse: mags, cleaning, ammo etc etc. Glocks fail too but not nearly as often.

There is no free lunch with accuracy. The 2011 is more accurate than a glock because the clearances between the barrel, slide, and frame are smaller. This is great until you introduce environmental particulates and things get crunchy. Same with the mags. Very little margin for adversity.

The 2011 is a range gun. That's what it is designed for and that's what its good for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah no way would I use some modified half breed 1911 design over something actually reliable proven and lighter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Disgusting waste of taxpayer money.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You forgot to mention, match grade barrels that are more accurate, smoother slide to frame fit for smoother slide movement, a magwell for faster, more precise combat reloading, and a slimmer profile for easier concealment during on and off duty carry.
View Quote
The magwell defeats the slimmer profile for concealment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Most likely "not at all"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most likely "not at all"
My sample size of 1 each, a 2011 and a G17 has them both being boringly reliable.

Same maintenance requirements.

Those requirements are - put lube in it, feed it good ammo and it runs.

Difference is not fighting my way through a striker trigger to break a clean shot without moving the gun.

If I had to take a shot over the shoulder of a hostage at a perp, I would much rather do it with the 2011 than the glock.

Downside that I see is weight.  2011s are fucking heavy.  Part of the reason why they shoot so nicely.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian. What a complete waste of my tax dollars.
View Quote
One single private jet flight of some piece of shit congresswoman is going to burn more $ than a purchase of some handguns for SWAT guys.

This is one govt expenditure I can support.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top