Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Debates aside, that's a nice looking handgun.

If it works for them, so be it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) A better trigger

2) Smoother traveling slide during operation

are two that immediately come to mind.
View Quote
You are not shooting fast enough if you're worrying about those things for a duty gun lol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

USMS Sog probably get in more gunfights than any law enforcement agency in the USA per capita. They also occasionally deploy overseas for various narcotic interdiction/take downs.

Not saying that they need sti's but they are not desk jockeys either.
View Quote
Even for tip of the spear military units, a handgun is a backup to a long gun and it really doesn't matter that much if it is a Beretta 92F or a gold plated space gun.

Until they invent a Star Wars blaster pistol that can put people down like a .308 with no recoil and movie style magazines that hold 150 rounds most of this supply chain bickering about whether to use a G34 MOS or a 2011 or a whatever-the-fuck is mostly bullshit nitpicking.

And I own an STI 2011 and would carry it in a heartbeat if my agency allowed personally owned handguns. Doesn't change my opinion that this is mostly asinine, just like the big deal they make about whatever new handgun MARSOC is buying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The increased price over something like a Glock or M&P might not be that big of a deal depending on how many they'd be buying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
why-the-u-s-marshals-picked-a-100-year-old-gun-over-the-glock

Not surprised they went 2011. I see a lot of TX Rangers and US Marshall's carry their 1911s. I know 2 Rangers and 2 Marshall's personally, and they are as you say "good ole boys" and they like themselves some 1911

By the way, the website has aids or something retarded, my pop up blocker went nuts.
View Quote
Fucking idiots.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do either of the "Marshall's" that you know, know any Marshals?
View Quote
Could be Penny Marshall.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I would rather carry the STI over a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The increased price over something like a Glock or M&P might not be that big of a deal depending on how many they'd be buying.
View Quote
They're getting a sweetheart price because of the free advertising STI is getting out of this.  Having one of the premier SWAT units in the country adopt your product is one way to make a splash in the police market.

LAPD Metro has already had an OIS with an STI that worked out great for the officer and the decedent.

It's not just the Marshals and Texas Rangers who are buying these.  I'm waiting for mine to come in as part of a 75+ gun group buy for various SWAT and FIs here on the West Coast.

If it's a pig, I'll sell it and get my money back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock guys are like soccer moms. First page and nobody mentioned anything but Glocks, which fit in what is it 14% of hands? Maybe the cost of carpel tunnel surgery was considered into the purchase price of Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Fools... should have gone with CZ TSOs
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You are not shooting fast enough if you're worrying about those things for a duty gun lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) A better trigger

2) Smoother traveling slide during operation

are two that immediately come to mind.
Lol.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Shooting a 2011 is like playing a game with a cheat code...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Even for tip of the spear military units, a handgun is a backup to a long gun and it really doesn't matter that much if it is a Beretta 92F or a gold plated space gun.
View Quote
That's a common misconception. JSOC guys carry just a pistol quite frequently. Lots of low vis stuff that goes on. That's why certain units also buy/bought G26's, P239's etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Who cares ? Just make your decision and move along
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
...and they could carry a G20...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
You can tell who hasn't shot a modern 2011 in this thread.  
I keep saying it,  STI is building the best production gun out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s all good. The regular Marshall’s are all sticking w 9mm Glocks and m&p’s for the same reason SOCOM switched: lighter, more boolits, shoot the guy more times faster bc .45 is ultimately just as unimpressive. It’s a pistol man.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Wasting tax dollars on expensive boutique handguns for "special" people ?

Never been done before

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChubbyBaggyIrishdraughthorse-size_restricted.gif

Did you just justify this monumental waste of taxpayer dollars on the basis of MAYBE, SOME people will get more range time because they "like" their gun more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun you shoot and practice with is better than the gun you don’t.  The 2011 is a pleasure to shoot unlike the Glock.  So perhaps they’ll want to take it to the range.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ChubbyBaggyIrishdraughthorse-size_restricted.gif

Did you just justify this monumental waste of taxpayer dollars on the basis of MAYBE, SOME people will get more range time because they "like" their gun more?
Now to be fair, this is GD, and I have heard way worse rationalizations here...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wasting tax dollars on expensive boutique handguns for "special" people ?

Never been done before

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14294/30rkz08_jpg-1068444.JPG
View Quote
What does the FBI have against actually using the 1911 safety?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Possible someone just wanted their own 2011 without having to pay for it?

Bet everyone else there is going wtf.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dont think that would change anyones mind. The 2011 series of guns, done right, shoot beautifully.
They are nice. Thats not what this is about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
That's an odd choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
STI?
View Quote
Aren’t all of your guns junk? You should add an STI to the list.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are really amazing guns, but have failed poorly in any kind of widespread issue that I am aware of.

Hopefully this goes better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe things have changed enough with STI that this time will be different. Time will tell.

Shooting a 9mm 2011 feels like cheating compared to a 17/34 so I get the allure.

If they go with the DPP as an optic they better buy two or three for each gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Every federal agency, including the military, should have a cheap 9mm, polymer handgun. If they want to splurge, they can get an H&K. There’s not a mission that can’t be met with a G17/19, P30/USP, Sig P2022/ P320.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Well at least they didn't get the Remington version, I'd consider that a bigger goof.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh, I missed SOG in the title.  Yeah, nothing unusual about this.   They and similar teams like 1911's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#34]
There's probably no bigger 2011 fan than myself, and I think they should have stuck with Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want to know how they kept the magazines from turning into salt shakers during reliability testing.

I'm a 2011 fan, I own one and shot many.  Mag reliability has always been the weakest area.  You gotta keep them suckers clean.

Should have bought Glocks.
View Quote
And THAT'S where Glock shines, the factory magazine reliability. Glock is the ONLY firearm that I've NEVER had a reliability issue with the factory magazine. I've had Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Colt 1911's,  and issued a Beretta, with brand new magazines in the plastic, in the Army.

Edit: magazine count below.

Glock- 30. NONE have had 1 issue in 10 years. L
Springfield- 2 out of 8 had feeding issues.
Smith and Wesson - 3 put of 5 had feeding issues.
Sig - 1 out of 6 had feeding issues.
1911 - 5 out of 7 had feeding issues.
Beretta - 2 out of 7 had feeding issues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yikes thats some kind of abortion.
View All Quotes
You know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder but my Glock  has never been confused for Miss America.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There's probably no bigger 2011 fan than myself, and I think they should have stuck with Glocks.
View Quote
SOG has had 1911's (or 2011's or whatever) for a long time.  SOG is the USMS special team like SWAT.

Deputies will still have Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Is the new gun a short slide.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#40]
You can thank my Samsung for that autocorrect, that's what I get for posting from my phone.

Fixed in the OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
why-the-u-s-marshals-picked-a-100-year-old-gun-over-the-glock

Not surprised they went 2011. I see a lot of TX Rangers and US Marshals carry their 1911s. I know 2 Rangers and 2 Marshals personally, and they are as you say "good ole boys" and they like themselves some 1911

By the way, the website has aids or something retarded, my pop up blocker went nuts.
View Quote
This is why.  Not because of anything empirical.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m a big fan of the 1911 and shoot/ compete with them often...

But for work I carry Glock....
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck yeah.  I'm jealous, I had to buy my 9mm 2011 for duty carry.  It's like cheating it's so easy to shoot well,  But that's the point.  I use factory mags and don't fuck with them to try to eek out an extra round or two and I've not had issue.
I've run reloads without cleaning 2000 rounds with just added lube.  Gun looked like someone shit in it but just kept chugging along.  I only clean it when it gets me dirty shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
STI?
View Quote
You're just jealous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They're getting a sweetheart price because of the free advertising STI is getting out of this.  Having one of the premier SWAT units in the country adopt your product is one way to make a splash in the police market.

LAPD Metro has already had an OIS with an STI that worked out great for the officer and the decedent.

It's not just the Marshals and Texas Rangers who are buying these.  I'm waiting for mine to come in as part of a 75+ gun group buy for various SWAT and FIs here on the West Coast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I love mine as does everyone who shoots it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know too many world class pistol guys but my Son has one and it helps him greatly on movers and other high accuracy high stress targets. I do know a USM that can absolutely take advantage of what the STI has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have a good trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, that's fairly dumb.

Seriously, what can a 1911/2011 do for them that a GLOCK can't for a fifth the price?
Have a good trigger.
You forgot to mention, match grade barrels that are more accurate, smoother slide to frame fit for smoother slide movement, a magwell for faster, more precise combat reloading, and a slimmer profile for easier concealment during on and off duty carry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
STI switched owners in 2018.  The new owners poured a shitload of money and machinery into developing a duty-ready pistol.  They also pared the line of pistols down to a Comp line and Duty line.  Further, they had the magazines re-designed and switched the mag manufacture to a major magazine company.  The new mags are nothing like the old mags that needed to be "tuned."  They had Dawson of Dawson Precision come on as a consultant to train all of the gunsmiths who assemble the guns and improve processes.  I am purchasing one, at the special guy price, and will carry it on duty after I get about 2k rounds and a lot of draws and manipulation practice with it.  It will replace my Nighthawk Costa.

The real problem with STI's for duty is duty holster availability.
View Quote
That’s interesting & good to know. I noticed that they had paired down their line but outside of that I haven’t really kept up with what all was going on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Do the taxpayers also have to pay for the customized/personalized grip panels that each issued agent will inevitably get?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Are the getting the special G19L's or is the Border Patrol?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top