Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Everyone was talking about how great the 43x is and how with shield mags it makes the g19 obsolete so I picked one up. Then they said oh the 365xl is superior to the 43x, so I picked one up to try out. Honestly I didn’t like either of them that much, trigger on the 43x was crap for even Glock standards, and the 365 was just ok, but I still carried my handy shield 1.0 but wish it had the capacity of the other two. The plus fixed that issue!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Got my first 1.0 Shield a couple years ago.  Darn things outshoots all the big M&Ps, the FNS pistols, the SIG, the Browning and even a couple of my old CZs.

Decided to get a Plus in the hopes it would shoot as good and the plus, for the Plus wasn't just the mag. size but the OR model.  Not disappointed.  Darn good shooting and reliable, too.

Awhile back CDNN had stripped 2.0 Shield 9MM OR slides on sale for about $52 each and I bought a couple.  Got the parts and put one together.  Put a Holoson on it and headed to the range (the build was not without some issues with obtaining parts but it was worth it).  Right up there with the 3.1" original slide/barrel and now it's got an extra inch or so of barrel with ports in the barrel that sticks out just a bit in front of the slide.

Carried with the 13 round mags with a couple 15 round mags for back up.  Smaller/narrower than my other carry pistols with just as many rounds.

Do it.  You already know you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one because of the rebate. Right out of the box it wouldn’t chamber around lost all faith in it
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one because of the rebate. Right out of the box it wouldn’t chamber around lost all faith in it
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Would be an extremely odd flex on my part.

The cool part was S&W paid for my shipping to & from, took about two weeks from start to finish and had a new barrel for free.

I honestly don’t know how many thousands of rounds it was, but it was a lot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
As a Glock guy for almost 20 years I will say that the Shield Plus OR, with the new style trigger is the best double stack sub compact 9mm on the market.  It shot better for me than any 365 versions, and has better capacity than the 48/43X.  I don’t take aftermarket mags for Glocks into consideration, because I’ve seen way too many failures with those to think of them as a viable carry option.  I still think that the regular 43 is a better gun, compared to the original Shield, because it is smaller and lighter even with +2 extensions.  But with just a tiny step up in capacity in the Shield Plus, it blows everything else in that category out of the water.  Perfectly balanced gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The cool part was S&W paid for my shipping to & from, took about two weeks from start to finish and had a new barrel for free.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Between you and the guy who couldn't chamber a single round, we've covered the extreme spread of the bell curve.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Best ccw out now..
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I did for awhile. Got frustrated with the magazines not actually holding 13 rounds, some as little as ten, and the grip texture, while really great for shooting it was like a cheese grater to untucked shirts.  Sold it off, but I have to say it was nearly the perfect ultra compact.

I'm very happy with a Glock 30S as my daily now; am looking at the Shield .45 2.0 next.  Were I to purchase another Plus...I'd go with the 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have one and I love it. Prices have went down and make it a great value too. Also you can get 15 round magazines now.
View Quote

Welcome to Arf. Hard to dick with a new member like we're inclined to do when he starts out with a spot-on post like you've done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pistol, I' picked up the stripped Shield Plus frame and swapped my Gen 1 Shield frame and Apex parts over to it. Scored a great deal on OEM 15 round mags. Currently waiting on Nameless Armament for milling my slide for a 407kGR. Uses all my current Shield holsters and shoots just as great as it did as a Gen 1.

With rebates out now I'm resisting the urge to buy a complete Plus.

With the 15 round mag option I will probably replace my full size carry with this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an original single stack Shield that I bought for around $250 on sale.  It seemed like a no-brainer for a quality gun for such an inexpensive price.  

I’ve never warmed up to it.  Although stubbornly reliable, its proportions seem ungainly to me.  

Maybe the Plus has a different feel, and perhaps I should handle or rent one.  

You can tell by my avatar that I don’t dislike S&W guns.

easy upgrade
https://p1.gunbroker.com/pics/975776000/975776688/pix130559638.jpg

Can you actually buy such a kit? Frame is serialized part so must go through FFL right?

I'd probably just wait until they drop the price some more, or pick up a slightly used one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you actually buy such a kit? Frame is serialized part so must go through FFL right?

I'd probably just wait until they drop the price some more, or pick up a slightly used one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an original single stack Shield that I bought for around $250 on sale.  It seemed like a no-brainer for a quality gun for such an inexpensive price.  

I’ve never warmed up to it.  Although stubbornly reliable, its proportions seem ungainly to me.  

easy upgrade

Those kits are straight from gunbroker right now. Yes it has to go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

easy upgrade

Yes that is exactly what I did as well.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife carries one, she loves it.  It's small enough that she can hide it well, but big enough to still be fun to shoot.

I have no problems dinging plates at 50 yards with it, so it's plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I did for awhile. Got frustrated with the magazines not actually holding 13 rounds, some as little as ten, and the grip texture, while really great for shooting it was like a cheese grater to untucked shirts.  Sold it off, but I have to say it was nearly the perfect ultra compact.
View Quote

The 13s can be a bit tough but all mine have broken in and take 13 without a loader. The mag in the gun is a 10 with a magguts +3.  I am carrying my OR now under a t-shirt. It is okay for me but I agree it could be toned down a bit and might add a Talon grip to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a good gun.  I like mine
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought one because of the rebate. Right out of the box it wouldn't chamber around lost all faith in it
View Quote
Were you trying to chamber empty cases or something?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm very happy with a Glock 30S as my daily now; am looking at the Shield .45 2.0 next.  Were I to purchase another Plus...I'd go with the 4" barrel.
View Quote
Within a couple of weeks of being loaded, all five of the mags I bought held 13 rounds.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
There are some instructions on how to fix the mags not holding 13 rounds.  The bottom back of the follower needs to be relieved a bit with a hand file to allow the mag spring two not get hung up on the lip that needs to be relieved.  It takes about 5 minutes to each mag and works great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Within a couple of weeks of being loaded, all five of the mags I bought held 13 rounds.  
View Quote

My two 13 rounders fit 13, but dang if my thumb wasn’t purple by pushing it in there
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are some instructions on how to fix the mags not holding 13 rounds.  The bottom back of the follower needs to be relieved a bit with a hand file to allow the mag spring two not get hung up on the lip that needs to be relieved.  It takes about 5 minutes to each mag and works great.
View Quote

@texasvwnut I've tried everything I've found, so maybe I missed that one if it actually works.  Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone running an optic on theirs? I bought the optic ready version and would prefer not having to mill the rear for a Holosun. No experience with crimson trace of shield smsc red dots
View Quote
Have Shield Plus. Tried Crimson Trace but it crapped out on me in less than a month. Milled and put on a Holosun 507K. Sweet setup. With 15 round mag it fits my hand perfectly and shoots great. If I got another one I'd look at the the Holoson EPS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like a nice collection, but...

No love for the Max 9, GX4, or Mete, OP?

Just kidding, the Shield Plus looks good if you like the oval grip.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have one and I love it. Prices have went down and make it a great value too. Also you can get 15 round magazines now.
View Quote
Could only get 13 round magazines when I got mine. Springs were so fricken tight it was darn near impossible to fully load it and then it affected slide operation. Put MagGuts 2 round extensions on and problem solved. Hopefully the OEM 15 round magazines don't have the same problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Bought my wife a Shield Plus to carry. I took it out to the range to run some carry ammo through all the mags and ended up buying one for myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

easy upgrade
1.0 to plus upgrade?
Tell me more
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Between you and the guy who couldn't chamber a single round, we've covered the extreme spread of the bell curve.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
1.0 to plus upgrade?
Tell me more
View Quote

Bought the complete frame on GB for $175 last fall from UncleTed2012.

Then I found Freestone Armory selling stripped frames for $50, and frame and mag combos for $75.

Posted in the Handgun S&W subforum, and got a bunch of arfcommers upgrading.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to pull that orange plastic piece out of the chamber first.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Get the 4” PC Shield. I have the 8rnd. version but hav a hankering for the plus.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

easy upgrade

I need to get off my ass and do that.

I have a 1.0, a 2.0, and a 2.0 with the integrated crimson trace. Just need to figure out which one gets the new frame.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody have a line on a Plus stripped frame, let me know. My GoOgLe-Fu seems to have taken a shit tonight. I can’t find one online.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bought the complete frame on GB for $175 last fall from UncleTed2012.

Then I found Freestone Armory selling stripped frames for $50, and frame and mag combos for $75.

Posted in the Handgun S&W subforum, and got a bunch of arfcommers upgrading.
View Quote

I'm gonna have to look into that!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My two 13 rounders fit 13, but dang if my thumb wasn’t purple by pushing it in there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really need to get an uplula.  There is no problem loading any mags with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anybody have a line on a Plus stripped frame, let me know. My GoOgLe-Fu seems to have taken a shit tonight. I can’t find one online.
View Quote

Literally a link further up in the thread.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm trying to trade or sell my Hellcat OSP to get a Shield Plus.

I have the original shield and the size is perfect for me.  Hellcat is too small.

Selling guns in Virginia is a bitch now.  No one wants to meet up at a FFL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#40]
A .45 2.0 followed me home today.

Hoping the slide stop loosens up a little. Anybody make an aftermarket with a little more exposed meat?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hurt your feelings when it shot better groups than the Glock and you went into denial.  Not just a river in Egypt anymore, is it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Fixed all my 13's and the 15's I bought later.  Take the mag apart, remove the spring from the follower, put a sanding drum on your dremel (if you don't like dremels shave the inside/front fo the rear legs on the follower with a pocket knife for a file.  Then wipe away the dust/pieces and put the spring back on the follower and reassemble the mag.  Problem solved.

Attachment Attached File

The one on the left has been modified and the one of the right is right out of another magazine and waiting to be modified.  The coils of the spring catch on those flat bottoms on the back legs and bind up.  If you keep forcing rounds into it (with a maglula or a very sore tender thumb) it will make a loud popping/cracking noise as the spring coils pop off the flat spots.  And then it will do the same thing when you reload the magazine unless you alter those rear follower legs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#43]
If I could only have one gun it would probably be a shield plus OR.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve searched every key word and combination on gunbroker for a frame and all I see are the gen 1.0 frames.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#45]
@UnluckyDiablo

I sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Absolutely great gun and a tack driver. It's not my carry gun but I'll say that every S&W 2.0 gun I've owned has been 100% reliable and very accurate. I'm always surprised how at how little love the 2.0 guns get.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have Shield Plus. Tried Crimson Trace but it crapped out on me in less than a month. Milled and put on a Holosun 507K. Sweet setup. With 15 round mag it fits my hand perfectly and shoots great. If I got another one I'd look at the the Holoson EPS.
View Quote

You sent it off, or ground it down yourself?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I wish I would have found the shield plus before I bought the 43x and 365.... would have saved me money b/c the shield is good stock, but the Glock has aftermarket slide, sights, and TTI spring kit and shield mags and mag release, Sig has Wilson grip and doesn't have a rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You really need to get an uplula.  There is no problem loading any mags with it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You sent it off, or ground it down yourself?
View Quote

DP customs is what you seek!

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top