Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Supposed to be 109 in a few hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Balmy 104 right now in northern San Diego.

Wife just took this in our yard.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Crazy that you can see the borders from space too. Didn't know that.
View Quote

It was a Herculean effort when the pilgrims poured the concrete border markings.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
But we need to be forced into electric cars to reduce Smog and smoke pollution
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
111 here in east county. and the valley fire down the road is at 4000 acres last count.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where do we find CARB's fines against the people responsible for mismanaging their forests?  

View Quote

When do other western states sue CA for their annual insane air pollution (+greenhouse gases) they pump out into other states?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Needles?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, that sucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Back before you had to preserve all the flammable shit in the name of the environment this was less of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It's 117 city of San Fernando  7% humidity ,no fires.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Appears that it's fire season in the Western US.

Attachment Attached File

There are a few major 'project fires' in northern CA that have 343,000 acres, 372,000 acres, which are major complexes. There are lots of fires all over that have like 80,000 acres and 72,000 acres.

Shits on fire, yo!

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back before you had to preserve all the flammable shit in the name of the environment this was less of an issue.
View Quote

Yep, I remember not too long ago when this was not an annual thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
We've been covered in smoke for 2 weeks now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Needs moar fire
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it wrong of me to wish for an epic quake to hit San Fran and LA etc when Pelosi, Schiff, Feinstein, Newsom, their AG, and let's not forget about Swalwell and that former Senator Boxer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish Google Earth was in real time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe we are watching the most southern one off the 330 freeway
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I remember reading here and seeing links about how Cali used to be very marshy with more lakes but when they started damming up th rivers for power plants it dried everything up and thats why their in this mess now?  Is that right?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the result of years of extinguishing fires and not letting them burn through the undergrowth. Now the woods are chock-full-o-tinder and fuel.

Thank the college educated idiots from the east coast colleges who brought their brand of 'environmental science' to the Forest Service and BLM...and who had never lived in the west before.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
California is asshole.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wish Google Earth was in real time.
View Quote
http://live.farearth.com/observer/
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
*Laughs In Montanan*

Forecast for tomorrow? High of 50, rain, snow above 6000'.

Happy Labor Day!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm under the smoke plume from that relatively tiny one east of San Diego.  I took advantage or the situation to light up my grill with mesquite charcoal.  I figure nobody will notice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

It was 79 degrees at dawn at my place in Chula Vista this morning.  It got up to about 117 by late morning.  Too hot even for my desert tortoise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuck 'em.

Breathe deep, you commie bastards!!!
View Quote

Awesome.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit 115 where I'm at today.  Felt warmer yesterday, though, even though it was a degree cooler.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hit 115 where I'm at today.  Felt warmer yesterday, though, even though it was a degree cooler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The smoke from the Valley Fire is shading my place in San Diego at the moment.  It's reduced the temperature by about 4 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Nevada needs to sue over all that air pollution.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The smoke from the Valley Fire is shading my place in San Diego at the moment.  It's reduced the temperature by about 4 degrees.
View Quote

It's 114 right now based on a weather station in my neighborhood.  While the smoke from Azusa Canyon is largely drifting away from me, there's enough crap in the air to give everything an orange hue.  Not sure what impact that's having on the temperature.  Perhaps it kept it down a couple of degrees.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep saving that ol' Endangered Bark Beetle and keep clearcutting illegal!

You know, for the chiltrens and all.

I wish no harm to anyone but Kommiefornia really did it to themselves.

Plus, God is pissed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Learn to manage your forests with the input from forestry experts instead of communist environmentalists, and this won't happen.

So, I'll have a coke.

View Quote

agreed .

gd
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Unvetted from an acquaintance in Portland. Sounds about right for 2020

Portland:  Heads up!  ????????????????????

Just wrapped up one of the busiest shifts I’ve worked in my nearly 18 years in the National Weather Service.  After a long year of dead weather, I feel alive again ??

??  Portland is seriously looking down the barrel of a severe fire weather event later tomorrow through Wednesday - one that, if it occurs how forecast models have been consistently been portraying for the past 2 days, will be the kind of fire weather event the Portland area only sees once every 50+ years.  

??  Our forecast is on the conservative side, but still ridiculous for this time of year.  East winds, developing later tomorrow, then gusts increasing to 35-45 mph in the metro area and gusts 60-80 mph in the hills.  Meanwhile, relative humidity drops to around 10-15% by Tuesday and perhaps into the 5-10% range if the drier forecasts come true.  

??  If you’re from Sonoma County and this sounds familiar, it should.  It’s essentially the same type of weather pattern that caused fire to rage into Santa Rosa in Oct 2017.  

??  If you’re in Portland, don’t be surprised if your power gets shut off sometime Monday and/or Tuesday.  This is the kind of event that may cause power companies to de-energize their power lines to prevent them from starting fires if they get blown down.  Such a fire destroyed neighborhoods in my hometown of Santa Rosa.  

??  I can already imagine the conspiracy theories that would fly on both sides of the political spectrum if power gets shut down.  If anyone tells you it was Antifa or white supremacists or China who shut down power, please laugh at their face for me.  It’s being done to keep us safe.

??  Remember:  No spark, no fire.  No fire, and we’ll get through this without tragedy.  For those who remember Sep 2017 and the Eagle Creek Fire, this appears to be 25-50% stronger than the wind event that caused that fire to spread nearly 20 miles in one night.  That “weaker” event caused flaming embers from Oregon to blow across the massive Columbia River and started a fire 1-2 miles away on the Washington side.  

??  There will probably be some damage from the wind alone.  Branches will break, and debris that has gathered since it was last windy will be shaken down.  If this event turns out to be as strong or stronger than current models suggest to me, we could see occasional East wind gusts 45-55 mph IN PORTLAND.  

??  If the higher-end projections pan out, this will be a very memorable wind event with gusts potentially as high as 60-70 mph in Portland.  With trees still green and fully leafed out, this would cause a significant amount of damage.

??  In case you can’t tell - I’m am EXTREMELY nervous about this event.  It has Portland Firestorm written all over it.  Let’s be smart and make sure thar doesn’t happen.  

??  Stay safe and smart out there.  Hopefully it turns out that we’re all over-forecasting this event.  But I’m going to make sure my cell phone is charged tomorrow through Tuesday, that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't remember that last time we had a blue sky for an entire day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Nevada should sue for cancer causing smoke pouring out of that state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It looks like a burnado or burnnicane.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's 114 right now based on a weather station in my neighborhood.  While the smoke from Azusa Canyon is largely drifting away from me, there's enough crap in the air to give everything an orange hue.  Not sure what impact that's having on the temperature.  Perhaps it kept it down a couple of degrees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can confirm when the smoke sets in thick enough, it will drop temps 5-10 degrees.

We had a clear day over 100 at 1:00 PM with a high of 106 projected at 4:00 PM. The smoke covered in thick. It ended up dropping to 96 at 4:00. It literally cooled off in the hottest part of the day from the post apocalypse looking sky.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I can’t imagine that is good for the environment. They should all have to pay significant carbon taxes for this
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can't remember that last time we had a blue sky for an entire day.
View Quote

February before Covid blew in and covered CA with its fake news flu.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Learn to swim!
View Quote

Tool reference?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#39]
They should move to ID and UT
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow. Incredible view. Traveling pretty damn far.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll take getting busted up by a 'Cane any time compared to getting overrun by a wildfire.

Plenty of time to prepare/evacuate.

We had some wildfires overrun subdivisons in the mid 1990's. I still remember hearing propane tanks and electical transformers exploding. Firefighters did a terrific job saving the Hawiian Tropic complex.

Topograghy was different (flat) and strong winds were absent.

I want no part of California fires where both can conspire to burn you all up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Need to fine the shit out of them for all that pollution.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My eyes burn from being outside, my allergies are fucking out of control, the sky is orange and full of ash, it's hotter than the devil's asshole. I'm totally miserable right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#44]
So is that just the weed smoke or what?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So is that just the weed smoke or what?
View Quote

Mostly brush that hasn't burned in many decades because of excessive fire suppression.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Psalms 9:17
“The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.”

Well it’s a start so take heed!
View Quote

Yup, that's it, it was God's will.

Not decades of mismanagement and lawsuits that prevented their forest service from doing forest service shit like controlled burns to prevent exactly this from happening.

Nope, couldn't be that at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Burn, let burn disco inferno....
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Have ash here, 108°...  Cooler next weekend, 91° maybe... Sun came out about noon...
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When do other western states sue CA for their annual insane air pollution (+greenhouse gases) they pump out into other states?
View Quote

Their floating trash is bad enough.  Found these at 10k’ a couple days ago.

Attachment Attached File

Yes, I packed your Cali trash out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is the result of years of extinguishing fires and not letting them burn through the undergrowth. Now the woods are chock-full-o-tinder and fuel.

Thank the college educated idiots from the east coast colleges who brought their brand of 'environmental science' to the Forest Service and BLM...and who had never lived in the west before.
View Quote

Yep.

Don't worry, forest fires bring new growth. How did the planet cope with fires just 100 years ago? Better to let them burn when feasible.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top