Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/10/2024 7:21:09 PM EDT
Longer and hotter summers are increasing the cost of cooling homes, threatening to leave low-income people unable to afford air conditioning as temperatures skyrocket because of climate change.

A report released Monday by a group representing state energy officials says the average U.S. electric bill could hit $720 this summer   more than 50 percent higher than in 2014   largely because global warming is intensifying heat and forcing people to use more air conditioning.

In the mid-Atlantic and Pacific Coast, electric bills are expected to go up 12 percent this year alone.

"Usage is going up. This is not going to change   unless something is done about rising temperatures," said Mark Wolfe, executive director of the National Energy Assistance Directors Association.

Heating costs, by contrast, are not increasing as steadily as the price of cooling but are "more volatile" because of annual changes in fuel costs and usage, Wolfe said.

NOAA's latest national forecast indicates that temperatures will likely be above average across the nation in July, August and September. The forecasters were even more confident about the Southwest being hotter than normal.

Many low-income households are in difficult financial conditions after paying high heating costs this winter. The association estimates that 21 million households are behind in paying their energy bills, amounting to $20 billion in past-due payments to utilities.

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if people owned an EV they would save enough on fuel costs to pay for A/C
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

But, but, but I recycle
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Love to here how they are going to lower the temperatures.  Nothing the USA can do will change a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe if everyone wasn’t in a race to see who can cool the biggest McMansion, their bills wouldn’t be so high.

Fuck em.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's close natural gas and coal power plants so that electricity cost more.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to living in the South. If we can afford AC then anyone can.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
What sounds more logical, a 1 degree increase in average temperatures causes electric costs to double or the cost of electricity doubled?  

Hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit.  Absolute psyop, gaslighting bullshit.

What makes your electric bills too high isn't global warming.  It's politicians purposefully destroying the dollar, using the power of the federal government to shut down cheap power plants, and forcing a move to unreliable, expensive energy.

You have to be an absolute fool to believe that.  High prices and shortages are being driven onto the American people, and the poor will pay first.

Between clean natural gas and nuclear alone, we could produce more power than we need for 30% cheaper than our current prices if the government got out of the way.

This is an agenda-driven, garbage article.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
$720 for an average summer bill seems ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I drive around with my windows down and AC all the way up to help out those in need.

I’m doing my part.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What makes your electric bills too high isn't global warming.  It's politicians purposefully destroying the dollar, using the power of the federal government to shut down cheap power plants, and forcing a move to unreliable, expensive energy.

You have to be an absolute fool to believe that.  High prices and shortages are being driven onto the American people, and the poor will pay first.

Between clean natural gas and nuclear alone, we could produce more power than we need for 30% cheaper than our current prices if the government got out of the way.

View Quote

Not totally accurate.

You need eminent domain to build pipelines and T-lines.

Everyone knows that they can bend utilities over on right of ways if the government doesn’t tell the property owners to eat a peep.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've yet to turn mine on this year. Mostly because it's broken, but still it hasn't been uncomfortable with the windows open.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My house is all electric and I live in satan’s taint for summer heat..

My bill isn’t anywhere near half of $720 a month.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Hurts so good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish, it's 57 here now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not totally accurate.

Everyone knows that they can bend utilities over on right of ways if the government doesn’t tell the property owners to eat a peep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not totally accurate.

We have the infrastructure right now.  Upgrading for higher transmission throughput isn't a hard stop, even if more property rights are needed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]
They misspelled renewable energy
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We have the infrastructure right now.  Upgrading for higher transmission throughput isn't a hard stop, even if more property rights are needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not totally accurate.

News to me. I’ll pass it along that everything is cool.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Without AC mankind is well and truly lost
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah we're usually around $250/mo in summer (but the gas bill is like $25, and in winter they flip).

The way that's worded it might mean for the entire summer, which would be about right for us.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let's close natural gas and coal power plants so that electricity cost more.
View Quote
They've been doing that here, plus they want to raise our rates 130% to pay for Carbon Sequestration BS so they can continue to sell power to WA and OR

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Uh huh. This year it has been cooler than normal at my house, yet my electric bill is higher.  Almost like the rate has gone up, not my usage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#24]
We haven't hit $200 a month yet and I keep mine on 71 degrees.

If things got too expensive we would turn it off and just take the dogs and go to the lake or pool every day.

Last week my son spent three 12 hour days at the hanger with no AC.

Today he spent several hours at our pond doing bank maintenance digging etc.

People are just week, get outside and the heat won't be such a burden.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Without AC mankind is well and truly lost
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not totally accurate.

Go for it.  Take it however you want, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't say that "everything is cool."  Quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
It feels great outside right now which is abnormal vs usually sweating just looking outside. Literally look out the windows and you get swamp ass this time of year.

Middle Alabama forcast for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Cheap power of yesterday made some uninhabitable places livable. Regulations and taxes may return those places to nature.

Then you have Neom which says all you need is unlimited income from everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#30]
It's not the heat making it expensive, it's the stupid green policy bullshit driving prices up.

Quoted:

View Quote

Was gonna say, I had a small-ish (1200sqft) that was 20 years old and my highest bill, after the big hike in the summer of '22 was about $250. My new house will be just over 2000 square feet, but it is brand new, and the builder is a very good builder. It should be pretty efficient.

I do wonder if Texas has it a bit better than other states, as far as our electric rates. I know Kali is a lot higher.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
If it costs me $100 more a month to stay cool I'll skip eating out one night a month and eat at home.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe if everyone wasn’t in a race to see who can cool the biggest McMansion, their bills wouldn’t be so high.

Fuck em.
View Quote

Fuck that this is America.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck em.

In principle I agree, but this is America in the year of our Lord 2024.

Somehow congress will bail out people who make 200k but can’t afford to cool their 8700 square foot bungalow.

I mean… think of the children for God’s sake!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
No the war on energy has made the shit expensive.  Fucking POS leftists
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Build a fancy basement and it will stay cool year-round.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Scientific American is neither scientific nor American. It's a German owned rag, and spews all the BS that comes
along with that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#37]
What did people do before HVAC was invented in 1902?

The First Air Conditioner | That’s a First
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Pffft.... in 64 and haven't lived in an air conditioned house in 45 years.  And the 20 year old truck that I've owned for 9 or 10 years is the first vehicle I've owned where the a/c lasted past the first summer.  

Somehow I've survived.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What did people do before HVAC was invented in 1902?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4LuKGDNeo
View Quote

The didn't live where it was 110+ during the summer.  Sure, a small few did, but big booming cities in the desert didn't start growing until central AC was affordable, so sometime during the 60's.

Also, swamp coolers did bridge the gap for a few decades.  Homes built in Phoenix through the 70's and 80's still had swap coolers tandem to the AC units.  We still use swamp coolers at work, and as long as the humidity is down, they work fine at keeping an enclosed space in the lower 80's..which isn't great, but it's totally livable, especially if you have good fans and air circulation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#40]
It's hard to feel sorry for them after you've spent a summer in a tent in the desert and it's 120 degrees outside.

At least they have showers and a refrigerator.

People survived for centuries with out AC and still do today. The Bedouin have it a he'll of lot hotter then here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#41]
it has been really cool on my early morning runs here in N AL.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I can afford so much AC I added a mini split to my garage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll bet if we reduced government by 85% the world would start to cool down rapidly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#45]
"largely because..."   that's the marker for "upcoming unsubstantiated bullsh!t" in a supposedly scientifically-based article.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The didn't live where it was 110+ during the summer.  Sure, a small few did, but big booming cities in the desert didn't start growing until central AC was affordable, so sometime during the 60's.

View Quote

Texas was founded in 1845. A/C wasn't invented. There were more than a "small few" Texans. It gets up to 110F in Texas. We have become soft.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Obama: "Under my plan electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket"
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding, I'd love to know who's paying $720 a month. I live in steamy FL and my biggest bill in the last year was $255 in August 23 - avg daily high temp 94. Keep it at 77 during the day, 75 at night.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]
This is an odd and contradictory angle from the left.

They've in the past have tried to demonize air conditioning because it's the largest electricity user in the average household. They want that electricity for charging electric cars. They quickly found out that's a very unpopular tack and gave up on it pretty quick.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top