Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I can be a climate refugee!

Pay Me!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did people do before HVAC was invented in 1902?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4LuKGDNeo
View Quote
Stayed thinner. Too hot to eat and fat people died in the heat.

Buildings aren't built to not have AC anymore. It will take a while for new buildings to go back to the old ways.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Reporters are idiots:

"the average U.S. electric bill could hit $720 this summer — more than 50 percent higher than in 2014"

Is that $720 per month?  For a five month cooling season?  As noted, what are average electricity rate for 2014 and today?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweaty strippers
I'll bring the battery powered fans.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#6]
It couldn't be due to the fact that electricity costs have skyrocketed since the government pushed green energy production and cut reliable and efficient fossil fuel electricity production could it? Nahhhhhh.

Consumers energy in Michigan [and DE has something close to it I believe] has a 50% surcharge for electricity from 2pm until 7 pm for residential customers and the MPSC allowed them to do it so both the feds, state and the utilities are at fault and the electric per KW prices aren't cheap to begin with in the first place.

I am VERY good at cooling my old house down at night, right now it's 57f inside. I'll close it up and it'll be MAYBE 64f when I get home from work.

It'll be in the high 80's and 90's after tomorrow, as long as it drops at night, I can get by with very little A/C use and still be nice and cool. I'll use the A/C to pull humidity down more then temps on muggy mornings, then kill it during the day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Without AC mankind is well and truly lost
View Quote

You don’t deserve AC. Only the anointed Elites deserve AC.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No the war on energy has made the shit expensive.  Fucking POS leftists
View Quote

This. We are awash in Nat Gas and coal. Any energy shortage we have is directly attributable to Leftists and their psychotic desire for control.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
It averages 90 degrees here every day and my electric bill is less than $45 a month for my large 2 bed, 2 bath condo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love to here how they are going to lower the temperatures.  Nothing the USA can do will change a fucking thing.
View Quote

Guaranteed to save the planet dude.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
So Joe Biden is a relentless heat wave?  That’s the logical conclusion.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Scientific American.   LOL

It might as well rename itself "Woke American."

Michael Shermer: How Scientific American Got Woke

Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Temps here have yet to reach the 90s this year, looks like it might get there this week. The temp was in the upper 70s last weekend when I was at the range. Very comfortable outside.

Attachment Attached File

It has been kinda cool in my house at night, down to the 50s last night. My AC is not even running at home except rarely during the day. Just got my electric bill and it is $64.99 this month, down about $4.00 from last month.

To me it's as if this article is written about a different world. Climate Crisis my ass.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Coolest spring/summer in recent memory here in SC so far
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Reporters are idiots:

"the average U.S. electric bill could hit $720 this summer — more than 50 percent higher than in 2014"

Is that $720 per month?  For a five month cooling season?  As noted, what are average electricity rate for 2014 and today?
View Quote

If it is for the three month season, mine will be about that. Just terrible and unclear writing from the AI/Author.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
gee, it wouldn't be because of high inflation and expensive "green" energy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My house is all electric and I live in satan's taint for summer heat..

My bill isn't anywhere near half of $720 a month.
View Quote

That number sounds made up.

I'm in FL cooling a 2700sqft house with a single 5 ton unit (def not the most efficient design for this house, but that's another story) and I may hit $200/mn for electric in the worst month.  We haven't even hit $100/mn this year yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In principle I agree, but this is America in the year of our Lord 2024.

Somehow congress will bail out people who make 200k but can't afford to cool their 8700 square foot bungalow.

I mean  think of the children for God's sake!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe if everyone wasn't in a race to see who can cool the biggest McMansion, their bills wouldn't be so high.

Fuck em.

Fuck that this is America.

Somehow congress will bail out people who make 200k but can't afford to cool their 8700 square foot bungalow.

Gov't ain't doing shit for people that make $200k, except shaking them down a bit harder to enrich their own family, friends and voter base of leeches.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]
How many electric cars and devices did we have in 2014?

What were the average KWHR rates in 2914.

I recently replaced a 20 year old water heater.  I looked at the kilowatts per hour estimate and it was 1/3 of what it is today.

Scientific American is not being very scientific. They aren’t adjusting for inflation. And what is this $720 represent? Is that for six months?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#21]
This might partly explain it.  Rates average up 30% since 2015.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#22]
It is the plan

President Obama: Cap-And-Trade=Energy Prices Necessarily Skyrocketing?!?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don't deserve AC. Only the anointed Elites deserve AC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without AC mankind is well and truly lost

You don't deserve AC. Only the anointed Elites deserve AC.

That's the real world truth, period.

Those demeaning AC, jets, cars, big houses, immense wealth, travel, luxury dining, etc. aren't going to give any of that up, they just don't want you to have any of that.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You don’t deserve AC. Only the anointed Elites deserve AC.
View Quote

Hunger Games. Woop Woop.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Coolest spring/summer in recent memory here in SC so far
View Quote

I had my doors & windows open with a low of 61 last night.
97 coming this weekend tho.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]
The only solution is to tax hot weather.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm in fl in a small old  poorly insulated house.  My bill last month was 210.00 and usually 300ish in july-august.
I bet most of my mcmansion neighbors are well over the  500 a month mark
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I remember living south of Richmond, VA in the mid 60's.  No AC in that house or our car.

We had one AC unit in a window of the house we lived in at Aiken, SC in early 70's.  Living room and kitchen/dining room probably stayed fairly cool.

Had AC in Arkansas in the early 70's and TX in mid 70's.  Never had it any of dad's cars/trucks.

No AC in the barracks at Ft. Myer in the mid to late 70's.

How did we survive?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NO

This LEFT's obsession with DRIVING THE PRICE OF ENERGY UP is the problem.

Energy = civilization

One of government's main job is to encourage CHEAP energy
View Quote

But those of us that get solar on our homes so we don't have to participate in that stupidity get sneered at by 87% of GD. Go figure. Guess there are more lefties here than we though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe if people owned an EV they would save enough on fuel costs to pay for A/C
View Quote

Or just lowered their carbon footprint to bring the temperature down in their house.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I drive around with my windows down and AC all the way up to help out those in need.

I’m doing my part.
View Quote

I went through law school in Oxford, Mississippi for two and a half years without an air conditioner.   It was tough for a month, and then my wife and I got used to it.  By the time we left, I almost couldn't sleep in an air conditioned room.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Lol, do they say the we have to use less air conditioning to stop the climate change that requires more air conditioning?

Or is it just that poor people have to be uncomfortable for rich people to be comfortable?  Because that's been true for all of human history.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
$720 for an average summer bill seems ridiculous.
View Quote

Ours is usually about a tenth of that in the summer, but we only cool our bedroom.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe if people owned an EV they would save enough on fuel costs to pay for A/C
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
We didn't have it Granny's house EVER. You just hardenened up and got used to it. No internet and only one crappy TV channel with rabbit ears, so you went out into the world and learned something, say fishing, trapping, and lots and lots of foraging (pecans, blackberries, plums, apples, peaches, pears). Oh, and for something extra spicy, find your way down to the creek to cool off, and after devising a cool rope swing, let all of the 'coons out of your uncle's traps, lol. Listening to him moan about the lack of caught critters despite tracks all over the place and keeping a straight face was difficult. It's all fun and games until your cousin lets that leak.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#37]
"Relentless heat waves", yeah, the only people who believe that are people who didn't live through the 80s.

People who can't afford A/C is because the costs of A/C and the electricity to power it have both increased, not because the temperature has increased.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#38]
How about lowering energy costs?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#39]
climate fags never care about my heating costs in winter.  cold will kill you faster than heat.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd love to know where these longer summers are because they sure as fuck ain't here.  I used to put my boat on the water for the first time in April, haven't been able to do that till May for the last several years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#41]
The nice thing about home solar is I keep my home as cold as I want all summer without paying extra. Long summer hours mean I have excess production all summer and not enough batteries to store it. So use it or lose it on most days.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bailout? Have you any idea the taxes I pay? I don't even qualify for some child credits because I make too much anymore.

There is no middle class bailout. The middle class is being systemically destroyed deliberately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bailout? Have you any idea the taxes I pay? I don't even qualify for some child credits because I make too much anymore.

There is no middle class bailout. The middle class is being systemically destroyed deliberately.

The PPP “loans” given out to people in my area who have side hustles were pretty incredible.

Free money. Shitloads of it.

You should look up the lists. It’s frickin crazy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Aaaaannndddddddddd............... The actual cost of HVAC units is about to go up 30% or so next year b/c of the new refrigerants they have to use, according to the youtube hvac guys I watched about it. I really hate these people.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe if Biden's puppet masters had not closed 5 power plants in Ohio my electric bill may not have tripled.

FJB FTF
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The PPP “loans” given out to people in my area who have side hustles were pretty incredible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PPP=Poor People Payoffs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
climate fags never care about my heating costs in winter.  cold will kill you faster than heat.
View Quote

Came here to post something like this. It costs more to warm your house by 50° in the winter vs cooling it by 20° in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#48]
They will make up for it during the winter time when it doesn't get as cold...

if it's not rate related.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#49]
That doesn't stop the ghetto dwellers here. They just buy a window unit or two.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#50]
And why is AC so expensive?  New mandates from the party of green on AC units?  High priced electricity?  Bidenflation?  Blame the dems for all this shit.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top