Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local Sears has/had been stuck in the mid 1990s.

Stale inventory, stale/dated looking stores etc.

Once Craftsman went downhill, I had no reason to set foot in one.

What do they have left of value? A bunch of overvalued real estate in dying malls?
View Quote
Nailed it
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
When Sears went down here their liquidation sale was a total joke.
Prices were marked up 20% and then discounted 10%.

The sale ended early as soon as the word got out, customers stayed away.
The didn't sell much, if anything at all.

Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Went to the SEARS Tower this summer. A sweet chunk of real estate.
View Quote
I think that has had nothing to do with Sears other than the name for decades.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Meh.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Up until the 2000s they were fine

As a kid, they were the place to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bye Sears. You sucked.
Up until the 2000s they were fine

As a kid, they were the place to go.
This, quality tools, guns, other good stuff.

Sad to see them go, soon you will have your choice of Amazon or Walmart

All the Amazon fanboys should look around, I rarely find anything on Amazon that is not available elsewhere for less.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went to one and was less than impressed.

Half were returns and clearly used. 1/3 of those looked like they were dropped off a cliff.

They were barely discounted over a new one.
Then the manager/employees could care less if people were there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is exactly why my local Sears Appliance franchise has and will continue to survive the failure of Sears corporate (apparently their franchise lets them continue on even if big Sears fails). They have a good selection of high quality appliances and lawn equipment at decent prices, available to load in your truck immediately.

I've bought multiple fridges, freezers, dishwashers, etc... from them.
I went to one and was less than impressed.

Half were returns and clearly used. 1/3 of those looked like they were dropped off a cliff.

They were barely discounted over a new one.
Then the manager/employees could care less if people were there.
No, not a Sears Outlet, those are fucking terrible. You're right, full of used junk at basically no discount.

This is a way older Sears Appliance franchise. New stuff only, mainly large appliances and lawn equipment, with some tools. Independently (locally) owned, Sears branded.

Just did some digging - Sears Hometown & Outlets is a totally separate entity from Sears corporate, spun off from the main corporation.

"“We currently operate stores under various brand names including Sears Hometown, Sears Appliance & Hardware, Sears Home Appliance Showroom, Sears Outlet and Buddy’s Home Furnishings franchise."

The local one I like and was referring to is a Sears Appliance & Hardware franchise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, lots of hate here for Sears.

Why did Craftsman go downhill?  Because we wouldn’t pay the extra $2 for a better product.  Going to Harbor Freight saved you a few bucks but in the long run that piece of shit tool will have to be replaced two or three times.

So quit your bitchin - you did this...
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone else think maybe this Lampert guy ran Sears into the ground just so he could pick it up for pennies on the dollar?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sears' market base, the middle class has been shrinking.  There has been no economic recovery since 2007/8 but perception management is great!  So many people including members here mistake the stock market with the strength of the economy.
View Quote
Not sure about Colorado but in central PA manufacturing companies are struggling to find applicants.  Many HS graduates are making $100K+ working in local manufacturing.  They are working a bunch of OT but the opportunity is there for an unskilled worker to earn a good living.

Back to the thread topic.  I am sad to see Sears go away but I am sure Eddie Lampert is getting paid no matter what happens to Sears.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Screw Lampert.   Sears was killed by the half-assed bean counters that had never worked retail anywhere .

No vision for the future .   Unable to deal with reality .

Same for JCP and all the other retail stores going belly-up .  Lampert has had a few success stories but basically no real ideas of how to fix companies he broke.

gd
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Sears lingerie section was my go to for mastubatory stimulation in my misspent youth.
View Quote
I'd then immediately go and circle the camper's pump shotgun  as something I wanted for Christmas along with all the toys, and not get it for christmas, again, when I was handed the phonebook catalogue and told to go circle what I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bye Sears. You sucked.
View Quote
No, their management sucked.

They had a great model but failed to see the rise of online shopping and the effect on brick and mortar stores.  If they had a competent management team in 1996-2000 to incorporate online commerce into their business model they could be king right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Sears Canada closed a year or two ago... There was lots of sentimental whaaaa whaaaa, but... Zero fucks given.
The large "department store" is a relic.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Step one - Sell guns again.

Step two - Sell tools that don't suck. When harbor freight sells better quality tools at half the price your shit is fucked.
View Quote
Letting Harbor Freight (and Home Depot and Lowes) take the tool business from them was one of the dumber things I have ever witnessed in business. The Craftsman line has been in desperate need of revamping for a couple of decades now. Harbor Freight started out selling Chinese junk, and improved their tool line to almost exclusively high quality Taiwan made tools at a great price point. Their 72 tooth ratchet is smooth, strong, and slickly finished. Meanwhile Craftsman, even when it was U.S. made, was churning out 36 tooth ratchets that looked, felt, and operated like they were forged in 1925. They worked, but they were terrible. Then they came out with that 120 (?) tooth thing that was expensive as hell and would bind up if it got within eyesight of dirt. Some dude in accounting who couldn't operate a screwdriver was making the calls and ran the whole tool department right into the ground.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Sears was doing OK until they sold to K-Mart back in 2004.
Ever wonder why for the past 10+ years, that the inside of a Sears reminded you of a K-Mart?

Jay
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Harbor Freight's current tool offerings are solid for what they are. Even the best of the USA craftsman tools, were rough, cheap junk - there was not a huge drop off of them going to China. Tools are not what made or broke Sears.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have memories of being in Sears as a kid with my father getting popcorn and an ICEE while looking around at the tools.  Even in my early twenties, I have a memory of my father and I standing next to a drill press on sale eyeing it and then we looked at each other and said "What do we need this for again?"

Sad to see them go like Montgomery Wards, Foleys, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight's current tool offerings are solid for what they are. Even the best of the USA craftsman tools, were rough, cheap junk - there was not a huge drop off of them going to China. Tools are not what made or broke Sears.
View Quote
Wrong....

I Have my Dad's old Craftsman tools he bought, I am still using them 65+ years later. They have been used hard, been through a garage fire, and while smaller ratchets have broke [many years ago] the replacements were still quality and the 1/2 drive stuff soldiers on. The smaller ratchets that broke were abused WAY past what they should have, when you're a kid you don't think ''gee, I have a 2 foot piece of pipe on the end of this thing, maybe I should get out the 1/2 breaker bar.'' The sockets are all still in good shape, I use an impact socket set for big stuff now, probably the only reason I didn't when I was a kid was that we didn't have an impact gun.

I've grabbed HF stuff occasionally, I can break that stuff with ease in a month or two.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
It makes me sad , Sears was the place as a kid you see all Christmas toys and train sets on display .
You could walk around with  popcorn and order stuff to be picked up later .
We bought tools , shoes ,lawnmowers and other clothes .
I got my First Communion Suit there .
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why did Craftsman go downhill?  Because we wouldn’t pay the extra $2 for a better product.  Going to Harbor Freight saved you a few bucks but in the long run that piece of shit tool will have to be replaced two or three times.

View Quote
And yet we still have Harbor Freight, merrily chugging along, providing us with the quality of tool we are willing to pay for.

Capitalism always works.  Every single time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Went to the SEARS Tower this summer. A sweet chunk of real estate.
View Quote
It hasn't been called the Sears Tower in years. (I still call it that too--my favorite skyscaper.)

Now called the "Willis" tower.

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
And for everyone say, Fuck ‘em, you don’t get it.  All the large retailers are buying everything from China.

That sucks on so many levels.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have memories of being in Sears as a kid with my father getting popcorn and an ICEE while looking around at the tools.  Even in my early twenties, I have a memory of my father and I standing next to a drill press on sale eyeing it and then we looked at each other and said "What do we need this for again?"

Sad to see them go like Montgomery Wards, Foleys, etc.
View Quote
Lots of stores from way back are gone.................Otasco, Western Auto ( at least around here), Oshman's, TG&Y, Woolworth, Zayre's, Treasure Island, Richway, etc...............used to go in all of them
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not sure there's a single Sears left in this state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
good. i get tired of people telling me about sears im like their going out of business who cares what their warranty is lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I actually lived in a Sears catalog house for about a year. It was later torn down and made big headlines in the local paper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And for everyone say, Fuck ‘em, you don’t get it.  All the large retailers are buying everything from China.

That sucks on so many levels.
View Quote
Man, you are really hung up on this. There has been a lot more to the death of sears than craftsman.

Like one of the biggest milestones in human development in a long time... the internet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#29]
No more jerking off to the lingerie and VHS tape deck's from the Sears catalog. I expelled so many gallons of my fap juice to the back of the catalog that included the CB radios.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No more jerking off to the lingerie and VHS tape deck's from the Sears catalog. I expelled so many gallons of my fap juice to the back of the catalog that included the CB radios.
View Quote
You can find the old catalogs on the net
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll add another reason Sears failed.  Sears used to have their own store card and they owned the bank that issued the card.  You could only use a Sears card or a Discover card at Sears stores.  The Sears card was the most profitable part of the business (because of 21% interest rates and no merchant fees paid to third parties).  Sears sold off the bank that issued the card because "The Stock Market undervalued the asset."  I think that happened about 15-20 years ago.

Sears cards were like the gold standard of good credit.  You had to have good credit to get one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All the Amazon fanboys should look around, I rarely find anything on Amazon that is not available elsewhere for less.
View Quote
Amazon is transitioning from a pure discounter to a convenience service provider. I have no problem with that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Department stores in general harken back to an earlier time in America, before there was an Amazon or a Walmart or Wayfair, or even a Home Depot.

Sears made the mistake of not keeping up with the changing shopping habits of Americans, but to be fair, there wasn't much it could have done to survive. I think we'll see the same thing happening to Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstrom's and others in the next few years. People just don't shop at department stores like they did years ago.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it against the CoC to post pictures of inside Sears corporate or the stores?  I see all these post, yet wonder how many have some pictures.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I find their demise to be quite sad. They were a pioneer in 'online sales' with their famous catalog that enabled people everywhere to have access to products not available where they lived. It is quite unfortunate that they were unable or unwilling to adapt to changes in the retail and online sales market. I grew up perusing the Sears catalog, from toys to tools and, of course, the women's lingerie section.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same. I don't understand the appeal of overpaying for items to be delivered a day or three later, when I can buy the same (or better) for less money and have it in-hand right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I went into the store on the 23rd to swap out a bad 1/2" ratchet, an old one with the flat head screws holding the retainer plate on, and it was DEAD.

I also was taking back an ancient US made ratchet for replacement, that admittedly failed with a 3' cheater on it, and I was handed a cheap new-style chingchong one, that had a "Refurbished" tag stuck on it.

I didn't see a dozen people in there the whole time, including the help at the tools registers, nor even up the aisle towards the front of the store, the whole time I was in there.

I did buy a red Craftsman 9" torpedo level for $4.99, because the normal black one was $12, and got 15% off, too.

I found it morbidly interesting that as ALWAYS was the case before, I was not asked for my discount ID info.

There were only young people at the counter, guessing the older people have already ran.

One of my earliest memories was going to see Santa Claus there when I was like 3.

Sad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Department stores in general harken back to an earlier time in America, before there was an Amazon or a Walmart or Wayfair, or even a Home Depot.

Sears made the mistake of not keeping up with the changing shopping habits of Americans, but to be fair, there wasn't much it could have done to survive. I think we'll see the same thing happening to Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstrom's and others in the next few years. People just don't shop at department stores like they did years ago.
View Quote
They had experience in mail-order, and had what could have been pick-up points all over the country. You're telling me that they couldn't have created a modern, internet-based version of the old ordering catalog/system? They would have taken what is now Amazon's market share.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think that has had nothing to do with Sears other than the name for decades.
View Quote
It's the Willis Tower now, it hasn't been the Sears tower for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
One of my co-workers was a hardlines manager at Sears several years ago.

He is surprised they made it this long.

Montgomery Ward, JM Fields, Woolworth and Short Circuit City have a freshly dug grave next to them in the great retailer boneyard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, Sears should have been shot in the head 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet there are still department stores in America.  Kohl's, for example.   Sears reached their well-deserved demise for many reasons, most of which were management decisions.

I'm no business guru, but management values, in hindsight, seemed to be:

1) We must continue to do business as we've done it the past 50 years.  We have too much to lose by trying audacious and risky new ideas.  (Never mind the fact that they had plenty of capital to do so)  After all, they may become a threat to our own core business.  (Never mind that someone else will eventually try it)

2) Instead of recognizing our unique quality brands and improving quality and investing in them, let's prostitute them by making them more cheaply, charging the same, and pocketing the difference.  After all, Joe Sixpack and Suzie Cupcake won't know the difference.  (Never mind that competitors can sell cheap shit too)

3) Make a bunch of ill-advised, high visibility divestitures to please Wall Street, leaving yourself only the the low margin retail business threatened on the low end by Wal-Mart and on the high end by specialty retailers.

4) Make a bunch of high visibility brand acquisitions to please Wall Street, (Land's End, etc.) only to squander their customer goodwill by doing nothing with them, as the brands died an ignoble death on the dusty shelves of empty stores.

5) Squeeze our service businesses (auto, appliance repair) to drive costs down and maximize profitability, which results in high customer dissatisfaction.

6) Milk our customers for personal data for sale and marketing, and take the opportunity at the checkout counter to try to sell them 8 more Sears services.  This makes it so unbelievably annoying to shop there that everyone soon stops bothering.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I went into the store on the 23rd to swap out a bad 1/2" ratchet, an old one with the flat head screws holding the retainer plate on, and it was DEAD.

I also was taking back an ancient US made ratchet for replacement, that admittedly failed with a 3' cheater on it, and I was handed a cheap new-style chingchong one, that had a "Refurbished" tag stuck on it.
View Quote
Fail.  Should have rebuilt your old one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old Sears catalogs
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder what Amazon's fall will look like...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon is the 21st century Sears
Star Trek style replicators in every house.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Same. I don't understand the appeal of overpaying for items to be delivered a day or three later, when I can buy the same (or better) for less money and have it in-hand right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends where you live. For anything beyond Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot I have to drive an hour. So a two hour round trip plus thirty or forty minutes in store vs clicking a button and having it show up on my door two or three days later. Figure the cost of gas and time wasted I’m coming out ahead using Amazon.

If you live in an urban area where lots of specialty retailers are available then maybe going to a brick and mortar makes sense for you. I hate shopping in general so I’ll just keep clicking online.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon is the 21st century Sears
May not be that far off. In 30-40 years advancement in 3D printing could very well take over most retail. Pay a few bucks to download plans and hit print. I guess Amazon could deliver raw print material to your door.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I am 28 and have never been inside of a Sears.  I kind of want to find one just to go check it out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some people did this, but given the state that Craftsman is in today, I doubt it was nearly the same amount of people who stayed away from HF and bought Craftsman because of the quality and the fact that it was American made.

When they moved production to China, it eliminated every reason to buy Craftsman.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top