Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There's always a tweet...

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ISIS will never be "eliminated" as long as the book the ideas spring from lives on.

There are only two options;

- beat that shit back when it becomes a problem
- destroy it completely

One of those isn't viable, that leaves us with the other.  Once the shit is beaten back, it's time to move on to other stuff.

Now is the time to move on to other stuff in that country.
View Quote
I recall the same being said in 2008 by President Obama and watching the Virginia Army National Guard beat feet out of garrison town Iraq. Polls indicated everyone but ‘I want war with everybody’ McCain supported the Iraq withdraw. isis came along and voila 6,000 back to Iraq. If everyone in this thread is cool with going back to MENA every 6 years blowing shit up and leaving rinse and repeat then what do I care. The Muslim population is the worlds largest growing population followed by sub Saharan Africa while Europe, Japan, South Korea and the USA minus legal and illegal immigrants contracts. The reason isis limps on is it only takes a fraction of Muslim youth to appeal to, so if you’re not in it for the duration, they are. Our problem is other adversaries like China are also picking up speed and our public is not amenable towards WW2 scale warfare. I’m more than happy to see everything everyone is clamoring for in this thread come true but somehow I suspect a wall won’t be funded by Congress for the next 2 years, military readiness won’t be funded for the next 2 years and all the $ saved and free time from MENA / S Asia won’t translate to debt reduced, immigration tackled and all the other things I’m seeing championed in this thread. Democrats give a shit about the military and prefer a reduced, inactive DMV shit show of a military. They also prefer Defense $ spent on social welfare programs, Medicare for all, climate change initiatives and illegal immigrants. Has everyone forgotten the 8 years under Obama? Leave or stay in Syria or Afghanistan  keep or fire Mattis, after next month it will be irrelevant and nobody will remember it but the same domestic problems will still be here Attachment Attached File
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-2177416/?tl=&r=-1&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Watters slams Ocasio-Cortez''s economic plan
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Perhaps Trump has done the math and realizes our commitments in Syria, South Korea, etc. are fiscally unsustainable.

One of our British members, @Agent_Funky once pointed out that the US is learning the same lesson most empires learn the hard way: empires are expensive, and an empire is fiscally unsustainable unless it keeps expanding and exploiting new lands for resources.

What good is being World Police if it bankrupts us?
View Quote
South Korea agreed to pay more but I think their idea of paying more and POTUS idea of more is wildly divergent. It now looks like further reductions if not a total withdraw from Korea is on the table which coincidentally Pyongyang is demanding now before proceeding with nuclear disarmament. The catch is defense of Japan is also on the DPRK radar list of demands too. China and North Korea want the USA out of the region
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Notice I haven’t bothered posting in the bump stock threads since I previously stated my reasoning for opppsing the idea after Las Vegas. I was hoping it was going to quietly go away but obviously not. Despite that and the whole Afghanistan / Mattis news [I’m indifferent to Mattis] I’m not off the Trump train but I’m quietly watching and waiting. Same goes for Kavanaugh’s time on the bench. 2 more years till 2020 anyway. A year is a long time in politics yada yada
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
South Korea agreed to pay more but I think their idea of paying more and POTUS idea of more is wildly divergent. It now looks like further reductions if not a total withdraw from Korea is on the table which coincidentally Pyongyang is demanding now before proceeding with nuclear disarmament. The catch is defense of Japan is also on the DPRK radar list of demands too. China and North Korea want the USA out of the region
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perhaps Trump has done the math and realizes our commitments in Syria, South Korea, etc. are fiscally unsustainable.

One of our British members, @Agent_Funky once pointed out that the US is learning the same lesson most empires learn the hard way: empires are expensive, and an empire is fiscally unsustainable unless it keeps expanding and exploiting new lands for resources.

We are in Korea because it is in OUR interests.   Many fail to see that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve explained that in previous threads but the usual response which I anticipate will arrive shortly in this thread is “North Korea is a impoverished country with a 3rd world military, South Korea is a rich nation. We’ve been there long enough, why should we keep paying the bill for their defense” usually followed by China will help the USA kick North Korea’s ass cause Beijing is sick of them and all the problems they bring
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pardon Flynn and then name him SecDef.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If General Mattis had ordered (via Tweet) his Colonels to kick out all the Trannys, they would have probably hesitated before executing those orders.

They might have even looked into whether it was a lawful order.

They might have responded with questions, to refine the General's Tweet and to see how to go about making it a formal policy.

If they wanted to do everything possible to execute the General's Tweet, they would probably have done an analysis of the task to see about policy implications and any 2nd and 3rd order effects.

It would not have served the General well, had they simply saluted and said, "aye aye, Sir!"
View Quote
you say that because you think like an Officer of Marines.

There are plenty of Army officers who would have saluted and said "Can Do, SIR!!"

<---former Army officer who thinks more highly of Officers of Marines
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Somedays, you're my favorite poster.
Somedays, you're "he's a knucklehead, but I'm glad he's on our side."

this post makes me conflicted between the two
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You mean the 4D Chess where Russia and China become our "allies"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the fucking MSM you'd think Mattis and Trump had a screaming fight and he stormed out, quitting immediately!  He's leaving in FEBRUARY, not immediately!

And, yeah, he couldn't handle Trump's 4D chess where bad guys could possibly become allies and long-time allies could be called for their weasel bullshit and fall from grace.

Oh well, enjoy post-retirement life, Gen Mattis, you have earned your rest!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not doubt that.  I merely question the cost-benefit analysis.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Bolton's announcement we'd stay in Syria as long as Iran was there helped push Trump into making his decision to withdraw.

Also, we were six weeks away from a major operation to attack one of the last renaming ISIS strongholds in Syria, and al-Baghdadi was thought to be in that area.

We may have missed a huge opportunity to finally take al-Baghdadi out.

Finally, more evidence that Erdogan's conversation with Trump was the final straw to get Trump to make the decision to withdraw. Supposedly even Erdogan was surprised, and he warned Trump against a rash withdrawal (ironic, no?).

I'll reiterate what I said before. It isn't that Trump wants to withdraw - - it's how he wants to do it, and the total lack of a strategy and plan to do so. It is very analogous to Obama's failed Iraq drawdown and withdrawal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm indifferent to Mattis leaving but the Democrats have wanted an end to Afghanistan since day 1. Holy fuck balls. Were you sleeping during Obama's 8 years?
View Quote
Afghanistan was Obama's pet project.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bolton's announcement we'd stay in Syria as long as Iran was there helped push Trump into making his decision to withdraw.

Also, we were six weeks away from a major operation to attack one of the last renaming ISIS strongholds in Syria, and al-Baghdadi was thought to be in that area.

Finally, more evidence that Erdogan's conversation with Trump was the final straw to get Trump to make the decision to withdraw. Supposedly even Erdogan was surprised, and he warned Trump against a rash withdrawal (ironic, no?).

I'll reiterate what I said before. It isn't that Trump wants to withdraw - - it's how he wants to do it, and the total lack of a strategy and plan to do so. It is very analogous to Obama's failed Iraq drawdown and withdrawal.
View Quote
Wow.

Sounds like Trump retreated from Iran, ISIS and Turkey.

Against the advice of his entire National Security team.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Bolton resignation in 3... 2... 1...

And some idiots here will cheer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wow.

View Quote
Just seems...contradictory to withdraw from the Iran deal and then suddenly exit Syria not too long after. It doesn't make strategic sense to me if you've got this whole platform on pressuring Iran.

A subtext of this barely being discussed, is that it appears the entire strategy to meet with Kim Jong Un and praise the North Koreans has completely failed. I don't know if there is a thread on it, but NK just essentially said just a few days ago that they won't denuclearize unless we meet all of their longstanding demands.

I don't begrudge Trump for trying diplomacy, but it is just another area where there doesn't appear to be a coherent strategy involved. It seems to be more of a fire from the hip and hope it all goes well type of situation. Hard to see how we're in a better position with NK than we were in 2016. I hope the recent diplomatic efforts can salvage some type of concession or progress. It is simply another area in which Trump's NATSEC team largely disagreed with his sudden strategy shift, but it fell on deaf ears.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just seems...contradictory to withdraw from the Iran deal and then suddenly exit Syria not too long after. It doesn't make strategic sense to me if you've got this whole platform on pressuring Iran.

A subtext of this barely being discussed, is that it appears the entire strategy to meet with Kim Jong Un and praise the North Koreans has completely failed. I don't know if there is a thread on it, but NK just essentially said just a few days ago that they won't denuclearize unless we meet all of their longstanding demands.

I don't begrudge Trump for trying diplomacy, but it is just another area where there doesn't appear to be a coherent strategy involved. It seems to be more of a fire from the hip and hope it all goes well type of situation. Hard to see how we're in a better position with NK than we were in 2016. I hope the recent diplomatic efforts can salvage some type of concession or progress. It is simply another area in which Trump's NATSEC team largely disagreed with his sudden strategy shift, but it fell on deaf ears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Trump contradicts himself constantly.

That’s the issue.

He makes tactical decisions that undermine his strategy.

Because he doesn’t understand his own strategy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Butting in, no offense intended but Trump can argue that testing has ceased and that’s a step up from 2016. But yes the DPRK has now expanded their demands to extend to US forces in Japan. South Korea’s current leadership has a shaky economy at a time Trump is pressuring them to pay more and Seoul’s wishful thinking that Pyongyang will return kindness, good faith and trust. The right wing faction of South Korea is waiting for this current guy to get voted out. China just ran off a Canadian plane near North Korea. It’s still their baby and China’s plan is to hope Trump isn’t re-elected and the next President will play ball on their terms
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Butting in, no offense intended but Trump can argue that testing has ceased and that’s a step up from 2016. But yes the DPRK has now expanded their demands to extend to US forces in Japan. South Korea’s current leadership has a shaky economy at a time Trump is pressuring them to pay more and Seoul’s wishful thinking that Pyongyang will return kindness, good faith and trust. The right wing faction of South Korea is waiting for this current guy to get voted out. China just ran off a Canadian plane near North Korea. It’s still their baby and China’s plan is to hope Trump isn’t re-elected and the next President will play ball on their terms
View Quote
You're not butting in. Good post, and I agree that the SK domestic issues are often ignored as well as Trump's own policy goals towards SK outside of the NK situation.

Yes, testing has stopped. But I do believe the North will resume if they need to. The issue is that a lot of analysts think they've already gotten what they need from a nuke testing standpoint. I won't be surprised, however, if missile testing picks up again soon, or if NK reverts to their old strategy of testing in exchange for attention or new promises of aid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:46:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m not saying it’s true or isn’t true but I’d hazard a guess that their reasoning is that he puts Israel’s national security or interests above the USA. I personally don’t like Tehran’s ramping up of their ballistic program. Not because it puts Tel Aviv at risk but because their ambitions go beyond subduing Israel. As far as I’m concerned the Wahabists in the gulf states and Shiites in Tehran are both a plague not just a concern of Israel and Khobar towers, 9/11, East Africa embassy bombings, USS Cole, Beirut & our embassy hostages and OIF attacks etc. are my reasons why
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're not butting in. Good post, and I agree that the SK domestic issues are often ignored as well as Trump's own policy goals towards SK outside of the NK situation.

Yes, testing has stopped. But I do believe the North will resume if they need to. The issue is that a lot of analysts think they've already gotten what they need from a nuke testing standpoint. I won't be surprised, however, if missile testing picks up again soon, or if NK reverts to their old strategy of testing in exchange for attention or new promises of aid.
View Quote
South Korea has a graying populace so their days of a thriving economy and strong military are coming to a middle. But I get your reference to the trade friction https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45634522 Anyway, I simply don’t trust North Korea or China so I agree the DPRK can fire up the testing again if they think it’s to their benefit. I think Trump will be re-elected but if he’s not I suspect Pyongyang will return to testing and see what concessions the new sheriff in town will give them
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Trump contradicts himself constantly.

That’s the issue.

He makes tactical decisions that undermine his strategy.

Because he doesn’t understand his own strategy.
View Quote
Even if there was a coherent and consistent strategy it would be hard to implement it considering the immense turnover in key roles in the administration. Haley is fine, no replacement yet. Mattis is out come February, so he's a lame duck. Bolton is the 3rd NATSEC advisor and it is obvious his opinion doesn't matter too terribly much to Trump, and so who knows how long he'll survive. Pompeo seems to be doing well at State, but Tillerson had left so many key positions unfilled they're nowhere near where they need to be. I know the AG is largely domestic, but not always, so only having an acting AG and waiting on Barr is also problematic...

Just as troubling is the quick erosion in Trump's relationship with key Senators that have a lot of sway over foreign policy matters in the Senate like Graham and Rubio. Which, that erosion had already started to take place because of Saudi Arabia.

I know a lot of people prefer to blame all the names I just listed as being the cause of the turmoil, but it is indisputable that Trump's frequent contradictions and habit of decision-making via tweet and without consulting others is part and parcel of the breakdown in many of those relationships. A lot of them want to do a good job for Trump, or even largely agree with many of his foreign policy goals, but he changes his mind and positions so often they frequently end up off message or blindsided by a new tweet or announcement.

It's a very challenging environment to run a foreign policy shop or NATSEC team in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Indeed. So pathetic and he didn't even catch it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admit Mattis did appear to be a bit of a leftie but Cincinnatus has been in the military for 32 years and he says otherwise.

So who am I supposed to fucking believe...…..my limited knowledge of only "knowing" him based solely on seeing him on TV, etc., or someone who has been active military for 32 years who might ACTUALLY know him?

I would imagine most people would rely on Cincinnatus's opinion over mine...…...right?
RDak, this post from you is so on-brand; I've never seen a single post ("tell me what to believe!") so completely summarize a poster's entire body of work on this site.
Indeed. So pathetic and he didn't even catch it.
Oh, I got it.

I'll stick with Cincinnatus when it comes to learning stuff about the military.  Military officer with 32 years active duty service trumps internet commandos.

And most definitely trumps me with my very limited knowledge of the military complex.

Nothing wrong with relying on the experts when it comes to facts and interpretations...…….YMMV.

People who bloviate about things they think they know when they really do not are the epitome of stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m not saying it’s true or isn’t true but I’d hazard a guess that their reasoning is that he puts Israel’s national security or interests above the USA. I personally don’t like Tehran’s ramping up of their ballistic program. Not because it puts Tel Aviv at risk but because their ambitions go beyond subduing Israel. As far as I’m concerned the Wahabists in the gulf states and Shiites in Tehran are both a plague not just a concern of Israel and Khobar towers, 9/11, East Africa embassy bombings, USS Cole, Beirut & our embassy hostages and OIF attacks etc. are my reasons why
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if we brought everyone home (MAGA), they wouldn’t dare attack us anywhere because they’d know our only options would be do nothing or go nuclear. Missiles do everything better than planes. And they wouldn’t want to risk us going nuclear so they’d behave.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even if there was a coherent and consistent strategy it would be hard to implement it considering the immense turnover in key roles in the administration. Haley is fine, no replacement yet. Mattis is out come February, so he's a lame duck. Bolton is the 3rd NATSEC advisor and it is obvious his opinion doesn't matter too terribly much to Trump, and so who knows how long he'll survive. Pompeo seems to be doing well at State, but Tillerson had left so many key positions unfilled they're nowhere near where they need to be. I know the AG is largely domestic, but not always, so only having an acting AG and waiting on Barr is also problematic...

Just as troubling is the quick erosion in Trump's relationship with key Senators that have a lot of sway over foreign policy matters in the Senate like Graham and Rubio. Which, that erosion had already started to take place because of Saudi Arabia.

I know a lot of people prefer to blame all the names I just listed as being the cause of the turmoil, but it is indisputable that Trump's frequent contradictions and habit of decision-making via tweet and without consulting others is part and parcel of the breakdown in many of those relationships. A lot of them want to do a good job for Trump, or even largely agree with many of his foreign policy goals, but he changes his mind and positions so often they frequently end up off message or blindsided by a new tweet or announcement.

It's a very challenging environment to run a foreign policy shop or NATSEC team in.
View Quote
What we need to do is make Trump God Emperor of the US. That way he wouldn’t be hamstrung by rules and such on his journey to MAGA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the fucking MSM you'd think Mattis and Trump had a screaming fight and he stormed out, quitting immediately!  He's leaving in FEBRUARY, not immediately!

And, yeah, he couldn't handle Trump's 4D chess where bad guys could possibly become allies and long-time allies could be called for their weasel bullshit and fall from grace.

Russia more than China.  I think Trump is trying to take the edge off the hostilities between us, trying to bring both nations more into the fold of an international partnership, and to do that he holds our old allies at arm's length and makes overture to Russia and China.

Gen Mattis said he saw more clear cut dividing lines between us and them and didn't think we should be attacking long time friends.  I see him more as wanting to maintain the status quo and wanting to see everything as black and white without blurring the edges.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Every time someone leaves they think the swamp is somehow being drained.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Pompeo sounds on board with the Syrian withdrawal.

He said our mission there was to destroy the ISIS caliphate and that was accomplished.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678742858/transcript-nprs-full-interview-with-secretary-of-state-mike-pompeo
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Russia more than China.  I think Trump is trying to take the edge off the hostilities between us, trying to bring both nations more into the fold of an international partnership, and to do that he holds our old allies at arm's length and makes overture to Russia and China.

Gen Mattis said he saw more clear cut dividing lines between us and them and didn't think we should be attacking long time friends.  I see him more as wanting to maintain the status quo and wanting to see everything as black and white without blurring the edges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure would be nice to know if Trump is somehow indebted to either of those countries that would cause him to make such overtures.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sure would be nice to know if Trump is somehow indebted to either of those countries that would cause him to make such overtures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid is what stupid says
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pompeo sounds on board with the Syrian withdrawal.

He said our mission there was to destroy the ISIS caliphate and that was accomplished.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678742858/transcript-nprs-full-interview-with-secretary-of-state-mike-pompeo
View Quote
ISIS is still there, and Pompeo avoided the topic of the inevitable slaughter of our allies when we leave.

As the DoD said recently, the gains against ISIS are “vulnerable” and we have “tough battles ahead.”

Nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mattis seemed to imply thinking Russia and China were allies is pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is anything wrong with working with those countries to reduce tensions?

Mattis did not use the term allies when referring to Russia and China. That is your TDS projection.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#36]
That was brought up during the debates before he was even president. He argued we should be in Afghanistan instead of the places bush choose.

Because it worked out so well for the Soviets.

Also, during the Obama administration, everytime we made progress, everytime we had a "win", we would follow it up with an even bigger loss. One step forward, two steps back. We would gain ground only to lose that and more.

It's my opinion this was intentional. After all, he wouldn't do anything to the detriment of the Muslims that he already pledged allegiance to.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Sticking to a plan of action that isn't working isn't good. Especially if you get new information.

That's why Trump "changing his mind" doesn't bother me. We should have changed our ME tactics a long time ago when it was obvious it wasn't working.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ISIS is still there, and Pompeo avoided the topic of the inevitable slaughter of our allies when we leave.

As the DoD said recently, the gains against ISIS are “vulnerable” and we have “tough battles ahead.”

Nothing has changed.
View Quote
Like I asked Bohr...…...it has been roughly 20 years and we are still saying "if we leave ISIS, et.al., will raise its ugly head and become powerful again"...……..when will that not ALWAYS be the case?

Seems to be a never ending problem that will not stop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sticking to a plan of action that isn't working isn't good. Especially if you get new information.

That's why Trump "changing his mind" doesn't bother me. We should have changed our ME tactics a long time ago when it was obvious it wasn't working.
View Quote
But the plan in Syria IS working. It is a small footprint doing big things.

And the President does not have any “new information” the Mattis does not have, as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That way he wouldn’t be hamstrung by rules and such on his journey to MAGA.
View Quote
He is?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Like I asked Bohr...…...it has been roughly 20 years and we are still saying "if we leave ISIS, et.al., will raise its ugly head and become powerful again"...……..when will that not ALWAYS be the case?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has changed.

Containing such never ending problems is just kind of a thing we used to think we needed to do. And, is a thing Trump asked Mattis to develop a Strategy to do. We contained Commies for over 40 years.

Gun control proponents aren’t going anywhere, is it a bad thing to keep supporting efforts to keep them at bay domestically?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Containing such never ending problems is just kind of a thing we used to think we needed to do. And, is a thing Trump asked Mattis to develop a Strategy to do. We contained Commies for over 40 years.

Gun control proponents aren’t going anywhere, is it a bad thing to keep supporting efforts to keep them at bay domestically?
View Quote
Not a bad thing at all...…..but it should be HONESTLY and VOCALLY said over and over again.

Just tell the American people we will be over there for the next 100 years to keep them at bay...…….then politically let the chips fall where they may.

That is what honest people do...…...but I realize we are talking about politicians and therein lies the rub.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has changed.

Yes, we will always face threats that we will ALWAYS have to address.  That’s kind of the point of our National Security apparatus.

Someday we will wake up, and the ONLY Superpower with a global footprint, military bases on every continent, and the ability to project power across the globe will be China.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, we will always face threats that we will ALWAYS have to address.  That’s kind of the point of our National Security apparatus.

Someday we will wake up, and the ONLY Superpower with a global footprint, military bases on every continent, and the ability to project power across the globe will be China.

View Quote
If that is what the American voters want (i.e., not staying in places for extended periods of time) then that is the way it will be sooner or later.

You, Bohr and I can fight that ideology but in the end we will lose.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has changed.

You mean not all conflicts will be resolved in one fell-swoop and have the boys home by Christmas ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has changed.

That’s what George Washington would have wanted...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If that is what the American voters want (i.e., not staying in places for extended periods of time) then that is the way it will be sooner or later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The downfall of populism.

People whine and cry “elitist!” when you suggest that there are military and intelligence subject matter experts who know more than a poll.

A multi-decade, long term approach to National Security is essential.  We look at what threats we expect to face in 20 years, and try to be prepared to face them.

Long term planning is never something populists appreciate.

It’s like white trash and retirement plans.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing has changed.

George Washington wanted China to be a Superpower with the ability to impose their will on the US?

I did not know that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The downfall of populism.

People whine and cry “elitist!” when you suggest that there are military and intelligence subject matter experts who know more than a poll.

A multi-decade, long term approach to National Security is essential.  We look at what threats we expect to face in 20 years, and try to be prepared to face them.

Long term planning is never something populists appreciate.

It’s like white trash and retirement plans.
View Quote
Of course it is.

But it is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

George Washington wanted China to be a Superpower with the ability to impose their will on the US?

I did not know that.
View Quote
Plus, he was probably on board with "Western expansion" into our frontiers.

And we would know for sure if he had lived long enough...…...and we KNOW Jefferson was.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top