BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
George Washington wanted China to be a Superpower with the ability to impose their will on the US?

I did not know that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ISIS is still there, and Pompeo avoided the topic of the inevitable slaughter of our allies when we leave.

As the DoD said recently, the gains against ISIS are “vulnerable” and we have “tough battles ahead.”

Nothing has changed.
Like I asked Bohr...…...it has been roughly 20 years and we are still saying "if we leave ISIS, et.al., will raise its ugly head and become powerful again"...……..when will that not ALWAYS be the case?

Seems to be a never ending problem that will not stop.
Yes, we will always face threats that we will ALWAYS have to address.  That’s kind of the point of our National Security apparatus.

Someday we will wake up, and the ONLY Superpower with a global footprint, military bases on every continent, and the ability to project power across the globe will be China.
That’s what George Washington would have wanted...
George Washington wanted China to be a Superpower with the ability to impose their will on the US?

I did not know that.
George Washington wanted the geographically blessed US to remain isolationist. There is only one outcome to that scenario.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Plus, he was probably on board with "Western expansion" into our frontiers.

And we would know for sure if he had lived long enough...…...and we KNOW Jefferson was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

And we would know for sure if he had lived long enough...…...and we KNOW Jefferson was.
He lived long enough. Google “Mad” Anthony Wayne... probably the last guy before Mattis to have nickname with “mad” in it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

George Washington wanted the geographically blessed US to remain isolationist. There is only one outcome to that scenario.
View Quote
I am just about positive that Washington was for Western expansion into our frontiers...………

So, if China tried to get those lands I would imagine he would have tried hard to stop that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

Jefferson knew it was unconstitutional too. Everything after is fruit of the poison tree.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jefferson knew it was unconstitutional too. Everything after is fruit of the poison tree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

Yet he (and I am just about positive Washington would have been on board) did expand.

So talk is cheap when coming from a politician...…….it is what they do that counts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yet he (and I am just about positive Washington would have been on board) did expand.

So talk is cheap when coming from a politician...…….it is what they do that counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

Here’s a horribly written, but relatively thorough, Wikipedia article on that era.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Indian_War
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here’s a horribly written, but relatively thorough, Wikipedia article on that era.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

Well there you go...….thanks.

He was for expansion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure would be nice to know if Trump is somehow indebted to either of those countries that would cause him to make such overtures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the fucking MSM you'd think Mattis and Trump had a screaming fight and he stormed out, quitting immediately!  He's leaving in FEBRUARY, not immediately!

And, yeah, he couldn't handle Trump's 4D chess where bad guys could possibly become allies and long-time allies could be called for their weasel bullshit and fall from grace.

Oh well, enjoy post-retirement life, Gen Mattis, you have earned your rest!
You mean the 4D Chess where Russia and China become our "allies"?
Russia more than China.  I think Trump is trying to take the edge off the hostilities between us, trying to bring both nations more into the fold of an international partnership, and to do that he holds our old allies at arm's length and makes overture to Russia and China.

Gen Mattis said he saw more clear cut dividing lines between us and them and didn't think we should be attacking long time friends.  I see him more as wanting to maintain the status quo and wanting to see everything as black and white without blurring the edges.
Sure would be nice to know if Trump is somehow indebted to either of those countries that would cause him to make such overtures.
Maybe we should use the full power of the IC to spy on Trump for any Russia collusion?

How long would such spying take to find definitive proof?

More or less than 2 years?

Quoted:

Trump contradicts himself constantly.

That’s the issue.

He makes tactical decisions that undermine his strategy.

Because he doesn’t understand his own strategy.
Trump has been telling you he will get the troops out of Syria for quite a while.

If you don't listen moves like this will come as a surprise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He was for expansion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

He was for expansion.
Expansion is fine. Buying LAND from other COUNTRIES with OUR TAXES AND PUTTING IUR GRANDCHILDERN INTO DEBT was UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND BAD PRECEDENT!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Of course it is.

But it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The downfall of populism.

People whine and cry “elitist!” when you suggest that there are military and intelligence subject matter experts who know more than a poll.

A multi-decade, long term approach to National Security is essential.  We look at what threats we expect to face in 20 years, and try to be prepared to face them.

Long term planning is never something populists appreciate.

It’s like white trash and retirement plans.
Of course it is.

But it is what it is.
I’ve stopped contributing to my TSP, because I need that money to buy a Monster Truck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I learn the most from arguing the opposition viewpoint, but I’m struggling with this. While I know a handful of people believe it, I think the vast majority of Americans agree that the LP was the right move. I do wish that those powers had been included or amended into the Constitution as I do think it set bad precedent for more abuses of the Constitution.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe we should use the full power of the IC to spy on Trump for any Russia collusion?

Trump has been telling you he will get the troops out of Syria for quite a while.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching the fucking MSM you'd think Mattis and Trump had a screaming fight and he stormed out, quitting immediately!  He's leaving in FEBRUARY, not immediately!

And, yeah, he couldn't handle Trump's 4D chess where bad guys could possibly become allies and long-time allies could be called for their weasel bullshit and fall from grace.

Russia more than China.  I think Trump is trying to take the edge off the hostilities between us, trying to bring both nations more into the fold of an international partnership, and to do that he holds our old allies at arm's length and makes overture to Russia and China.

Gen Mattis said he saw more clear cut dividing lines between us and them and didn't think we should be attacking long time friends.  I see him more as wanting to maintain the status quo and wanting to see everything as black and white without blurring the edges.

Quoted:

That’s the issue.

So, you’re arguing that the Secretary of Defense should develop strategy based on tweets and campaign slogans, and not formal strategy guidance signed by the President.

Who decides which tweets and campaign slogans take precedent? When they contradict, then what? Should we have foreseen this wall funding standoff, or should we have expected Mexico to pay for it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Expansion is fine. Buying LAND from other COUNTRIES with OUR TAXES AND PUTTING IUR GRANDCHILDERN INTO DEBT was UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND BAD PRECEDENT!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

He was for expansion.
Ok, fair enough.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve stopped contributing to my TSP, because I need that money to buy a Monster Truck!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The downfall of populism.

People whine and cry “elitist!” when you suggest that there are military and intelligence subject matter experts who know more than a poll.

A multi-decade, long term approach to National Security is essential.  We look at what threats we expect to face in 20 years, and try to be prepared to face them.

Long term planning is never something populists appreciate.

It’s like white trash and retirement plans.
Of course it is.

But it is what it is.

Because I am whacked........my mind went to......…."Now Cincinnatus the thought of you in a 'Bro Dozer' has me...…….well...…….it has me...……….going...…………."

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s the issue.

Trump does not articulate these plans and timelines via Tweets and rally rhetoric.

He has a National Strategy, and associated specific plans with associated orders that HE has approved.

That he said at one point that someday we will end an expedition, should that REALLY mean that we need to be ready to leave at any minute?

That’s poor leadership, and the absence of strategic vision.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So, you’re arguing that the Secretary of Defense should develop strategy based on tweets and campaign slogans, and not formal strategy guidance signed by the President.

Who decides which tweets and campaign slogans take precedent? When they contradict, then what? Should we have foreseen this wall funding standoff, or should we have expected Mexico to pay for it?
View Quote
Eh, we can develop an ISO workflow for it
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
In 2006, Senator Hillary Clinton was at a briefing in the Pentagon right before the Surge.

She asked the Chairman if they had developed an “exit strategy” for Iraq.

The Chaurman said “no.”

She became angry and asked, “But haven’t you heard us on the Sunday shows and in the Senate demanding that there be such a strategy?”

“No ma’am”
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In 2006, Senator Hillary Clinton was at a briefing in the Pentagon right before the Surge.

The Chaurman said “no.”

She became angry and asked, “But haven’t you heard us on the Sunday shows and in the Senate demanding that there be such a strategy?”

“No ma’am”
View Quote
Did she throw a vase or book at him?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Containing such never ending problems is just kind of a thing we used to think we needed to do. And, is a thing Trump asked Mattis to develop a Strategy to do. We contained Commies for over 40 years.
View Quote
When I was a marine spouse and hung out with a lot of Marines it was during the longest period of peace time after the Viet nam fiasco. I new guys that got out because they thought we would never have a war again.

If "containing"  these problems means spending more money than we have and sacrificing lives for decades on end then that isn't taking care of the problem. It didn't work out well for the Soviet Union and it won't work out well for us.  There isn't one example where it did work out well.

So no, we haven't always pittered our resources away policing the world. Our most successful actions were the ones where we went in, did what we had to, and left.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When I was a marine spouse and hung out with a lot of Marines it was during the longest period of peace time after the Viet nam fiasco. I new guys that got out because they thought we would never have a war again.

If "containing"  these problems means spending more money than we have and sacrificing lives for decades on end then that isn't taking care of the problem. It didn't work out well for the Soviet Union and it won't work out well for us.  There isn't one example where it did work out well.

So no, we haven't always pittered our resources away policing the world. Our most successful actions were the ones where we went in, did what we had to, and left.
View Quote
I think the Cold War worked out pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Containing such never ending problems is just kind of a thing we used to think we needed to do. And, is a thing Trump asked Mattis to develop a Strategy to do. We contained Commies for over 40 years.

That entire period after Vietnam was some of the culminating and tensest years of the Cold War, with forces positioned in Europe, annual REFORGERs, numerous interventions of a sort in Latin America, forces still in Japan, and, of course, the forces postured for that ever-present thorn in the side of civilized man: North Korea.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The top US envoy  to the global coalition fighting ISIS announced that he is resigning on Saturday in the wake of President Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria.

Brett McGurk was set to step down in February but moved up his departure date by two months to December 31 after very publicly stating the possibly catastrophic outcome that could result should President Trump elect to pull American forces at this time.

McGurk is shown visiting a water treatment plant south of Mosul in Iraq on May 15, 2017

More
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The top US envoy  to the global coalition fighting ISIS announced that he is resigning on Saturday in the wake of President Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Syria.

Brett McGurk was set to step down in February but moved up his departure date by two months to December 31 after very publicly stating the possibly catastrophic outcome that could result should President Trump elect to pull American forces at this time.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/22/18/7735730-6523029-image-m-15_1545502442225.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/22/18/7739256-6523029-image-a-28_1545504565715.jpg

McGurk is shown visiting a water treatment plant south of Mosul in Iraq on May 15, 2017

More
View Quote
Somebody need to post those pictures of Trump visiting the troops in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then Tom Jefferson said fuck that
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Trump’s claim that ISIS has been defeated will come back to haunt him.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He lived long enough. Google “Mad” Anthony Wayne... probably the last guy before Mattis to have nickname with “mad” in it.
View Quote
On a side note General St. Clair got his ass kicked Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And set precedence of presidents ignoring the Constitution ‘for the greater good’.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
President Trump explains his plan for Afghanistan
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you hate Alaska?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Indian wars?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#31]
(13:12)

Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You mean not all conflicts will be resolved in one fell-swoop and have the boys home by Christmas ?
View Quote
Even non-conflicts mean some troops are away for Christmas. The DOD ain’t Walmart or the public library. I think I got leave during Christmas twice while I was on active duty back at the end of the Reagan era before Iraq or Afghanistan became loathed by the public at large
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/12/22/about-2600-troops-prepare-spend-christmas-mexico-border.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If that is what the American voters want (i.e., not staying in places for extended periods of time) then that is the way it will be sooner or later.

You, Bohr and I can fight that ideology but in the end we will lose.
View Quote
The American public wanted out of Iraq back during Bush’s 2nd term. Which is fine but when everyone clutched pearls in 2014 after isis rolled Mosul and cut off an American journalist’s head I get annoyed when the public acts surprised, horrified and demand something be done. So I got miss my kids birthday because you changed your mind and decided the military shouldn’t just be a DMV jobs program for feminists and the transgendered? Now it’s go time again? It’s like being in Los Angeles start stop traffic. Get out of the Mideast, go back, Vietnam proves no land war in Asia ever again, shit North Korea has nukes aimed at Hawaii, go fuck em up. Of course half these people think bombers, cruise missiles or nukes is all you need to solve a problem. Even after Japan was nukes twice and surrendered how many soldiers had to roll into Japan and occupy it till the 50s and we still have the largest amount of troops in Asia in Japan today but people bitch about pulling troops out of Korea to save money? Da fuq
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mattis seemed to imply thinking Russia and China were allies is pretty stupid.
View Quote
Never heard him say or imply China is an ally in any capacity. Russia he stated could be an ally someday if things worked out but he caveated his statement that things might not work out. It’s not like he hasn’t allowed sanctions or weapons transfers to the Ukraine. But far fetched to assume he’s doing anything for Moscow or Beijing at this point in time. I disagree with his decision on withdraw AT THIS particular moment in time but I’m still going to examine what he’s doing as accurately as I can whether it’s gun control or foreign policy
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pompeo sounds on board with the Syrian withdrawal.

He said our mission there was to destroy the ISIS caliphate and that was accomplished.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678742858/transcript-nprs-full-interview-with-secretary-of-state-mike-pompeo
View Quote
Largely true but not technically accurate. He also said discussions with the DPRK are going well even though North Korea has pretty much brought any real possibility of denuclearization to an end with the USA must lift sanctions and remove its forces from Japan and Korea before North Korea will do shit
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But if we brought everyone home (MAGA), they wouldn’t dare attack us anywhere because they’d know our only options would be do nothing or go nuclear. Missiles do everything better than planes. And they wouldn’t want to risk us going nuclear so they’d behave.
View Quote
If only Thomas Jefferson had nukes back in 1801 those Barbary Coast pirates wouldn’t a done shit
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Saw that yesterday. I can count on one hand the number of Democrats who’ve stayed consistent on foreign policy since Trump took office. MSNBC being the most hilarious of the pearl clutching over withdrawal
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Chaurman said “no.”

“No ma’am”
View Quote
LOL!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If only Thomas Jefferson had nukes back in 1801 those Barbary Coast pirates wouldn’t a done shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if we brought everyone home (MAGA), they wouldn’t dare attack us anywhere because they’d know our only options would be do nothing or go nuclear. Missiles do everything better than planes. And they wouldn’t want to risk us going nuclear so they’d behave.
I want to @ so many people right now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Trump’s claim that ISIS has been defeated will come back to haunt him.
View Quote
I'm afraid this is true.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sorry but when someone insists we stay in Afgjanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc. While being completely cucked to defending our own border you can gtfo.

Every single one of these fuckers would love to be in every country the world over for decades if not centuries if they had their way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Trump is making a fool of himself.

The idea that he gave Mattis a “second chance” lends credence to the idea that Obama fired him for cause.

Mattis spoke truth to power and Obama fired him for it.

Once again...
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Drain the swamp (swamp creatures will show up invited and even eat the free corn 2 or 3X).
Close our border, swamp creatures lose votes and the ultimate control they so desperately will do to win at any of YOUR cost (including a .gov shutdown over a fraction of what foodstamps cost the taxpayers for 1 month).
Quit spending what we don't have on swamp creatures, lovers, personal profit and free shit.

Anyone could see plenty of pissed folks for anything they could grasp a hold of on anyone not playing THEIR game.

And here we are, pissed over a small tarp/bone like bumpstocks or doing what was promised.

Never saw it coming since 1/20/17.

It's ALL a lie.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Trump is making a fool of himself.

The idea that he gave Mattis a "second chance" lends credence to the idea that Obama fired him for cause.

Mattis spoke truth to power and Obama fired him for it.

Once again...
View Quote
Can you remind me what it was that Mattis did that got him fired?  I know it happened, but the brain cells that stored that info must've drowned...
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like or dislike Mattis, since he hasn’t said shit since his letter or appeared on CNN talking shit and considering he’s still on the job till next February, it might be better to just drop the issue and when it’s time showcase his replacement, rather than highlight anything pro or con about Mattis in the interim
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:51:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Like or dislike Mattis, since he hasn’t said shit since his letter or appeared on CNN talking shit and considering he’s still on the job till next February, it might be better to just drop the issue and when it’s time showcase his replacement, rather than highlight anything pro or con about Mattis in the interim
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds like good advice.

That's why Trump will do no such thing.

"Low Energy Mattis"... Just wait, it's coming...
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I am beginning to think Mattis should have been fired.

April 2018 President Trump orders DOD to plan withdraw from Syria.

Trump instructs military to begin planning for withdrawal from Syria

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4
President Trump has instructed military leaders to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria as soon as possible and told them he wants Arab allies to take over and pay for stabilizing and reconstructing areas liberated from the Islamic State, according to senior U.S. officials.

In a meeting with top national security aides Tuesday, Trump backtracked on his public insistence that the troop exit was imminent, now that the militants were “close to 100 percent” defeated. Pressed by the president to tell him how much more time they needed to finish the job, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said it would probably be months, not years, officials said.

Trump agreed that the military, as fighting continued against remaining militant pockets, could train local security ­forces.

But officials said he stressed that U.S. strategic goals in Syria do not include longer-term stability or reconstruction efforts. He said he did not want to be having the same conversation about withdrawal six months or more from now.

--------------------------------------------------

So the President was not pulling the rug out from under the allies. He has been making it clear for months we were coming out soon, and Gen Mattis was being...insubordinate.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/22/18/7735730-6523029-image-m-15_1545502442225.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/12/22/18/7739256-6523029-image-a-28_1545504565715.jpg

More
View Quote
McGurk was also alerted as were others that the President wanted US troops out of Syria and it would have been part of his job to coordinate the withdrawal....starting months ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top