BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you remind me what it was that Mattis did that got him fired?  I know it happened, but the brain cells that stored that info must've drowned...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trump is making a fool of himself.

The idea that he gave Mattis a "second chance" lends credence to the idea that Obama fired him for cause.

Mattis spoke truth to power and Obama fired him for it.

Once again...
Can you remind me what it was that Mattis did that got him fired?  I know it happened, but the brain cells that stored that info must've drowned...
Mattis was CENTCOM Commander.

Obama asked for a plan to take out Iran’s WMD facilities.

Mattis gave it to him, but also a plan for full spectrum war with Iran.  Obama said, “I did not ask for this.”
Mattis said, “Oh yes, you actually did.  Bombing dozens of sites in Iran will mean war with Iran...”

Then Obama asked for s plan to remove Syria’s WMD.  It was an invasion, occupation and it was as big as Desert Storm.
Again, Obama said “I did not ask for this...”
Once again, Mattis said “Yes you did...”

Fired.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mattis gave it to him, but also a plan for full spectrum war with Iran.  Obama said, “I did not ask for this.”
Mattis said, “Oh yes, you actually did.  Bombing dozens of sites in Iran will mean war with Iran...”

Then Obama asked for s plan to remove Syria’s WMD.  It was an invasion, occupation and it was as big as Desert Storm.

Fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea that he gave Mattis a "second chance" lends credence to the idea that Obama fired him for cause.

Once again...

Fired.
Jesus Christ!

I don't remember (?) Obama doing anything along those lines (i.e., going after Iran WMD's and Syria WMD's) so he must have realized Mattis was right...….yet he fired him???
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am beginning to think Mattis should have been fired.

April 2018 President Trump orders DOD to plan withdraw from Syria.

Trump instructs military to begin planning for withdrawal from Syria

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4
President Trump has instructed military leaders to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria as soon as possible and told them he wants Arab allies to take over and pay for stabilizing and reconstructing areas liberated from the Islamic State, according to senior U.S. officials.

In a meeting with top national security aides Tuesday, Trump backtracked on his public insistence that the troop exit was imminent, now that the militants were “close to 100 percent” defeated. Pressed by the president to tell him how much more time they needed to finish the job, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said it would probably be months, not years, officials said.

Trump agreed that the military, as fighting continued against remaining militant pockets, could train local security ­forces.

But officials said he stressed that U.S. strategic goals in Syria do not include longer-term stability or reconstruction efforts. He said he did not want to be having the same conversation about withdrawal six months or more from now.

--------------------------------------------------

So the President was not pulling the rug out from under the allies. He has been making it clear for months we were coming out soon, and Gen Mattis was being...insubordinate.
View Quote
Calling Mattis insubordinate is ignorant.

He was following the President’s instructions to the letter.

It was to be “conditions based” and up to the commanders to determine when it was time.  The President insisted that it would not be an arbitrary timeline.

Also, essential to executing the President’s instructions was to turn the mission over to our allies.  You can’t ask your allies to take over OUR mission, while stabbing them in the back.  Mattis knew this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ!

I don't remember (?) Obama doing anything along those lines (i.e., going after Iran WMD's and Syria WMD's) so he must have realized Mattis was right...….yet he fired him???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again...

Fired.
Jesus Christ!

Mattis spoke truth to power, and tried to educate an ignorant President about the consequences of initiating a war with Iran.

Obama thought we could bomb the crap out of Iran, without there being a “war.”
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mattis spoke truth to power, and tried to educate an ignorant President about the consequences of initiating a war with Iran.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again...

Fired.
Jesus Christ!

Wonderful...….why should I even be surprised.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
“Decimating ISIS”?

That’s our metric for victory?

10%?
View All Quotes
How was he wrong?

verb (used with object), dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing.

to destroy a great number or proportion of:
The population was decimated by a plague.
to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
Obsolete . to take a tenth of or from.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How was he wrong?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
How was he wrong?

Our policy is/was “annihilation.”

Decimate does not equal annihilate.

Let’s hope that the change of verbiage means he misspoke rather than it being an attempt to move the goalposts.

In May of 2017, speaking of the President’s policy, Mattis said this:

“Our strategy right now is to accelerate the campaign against Isis. It is a threat to all civilized nations. And the bottom line is we are going to move in an accelerated and reinforced manner, throw them on their back foot.

“We have already shifted from attrition tactics, where we shove them from one position to another in Iraq and Syria, to annihilation tactics where we surround them. Our intention is that the foreign fighters do not survive the fight to return home to North Africa, to Europe, to America, to Asia, to Africa. We’re not going to allow them to do so. We’re going to stop them there and take apart the caliphate.”

Mattis also said efforts against Isis would be “a long fight” and “a fight about ideas”.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Our policy is/was “annihilation.”

Decimate does not equal annihilate.

Let’s hope that the change of verbiage means he misspoke rather than it being an attempt to move the goalposts.
View Quote
Still reeling over Obongo and his firing of Mattis……..so...…….if Mattis just gave him plans on how to bomb areas of WMD's and that DID start a war...…….then...…...wait for it...…….Obongo would have fired Mattis for NOT informing him it would start a war and having a strategy for that outcome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It was to be “conditions based” and up to the commanders to determine when it was time.  The President insisted that it would not be an arbitrary timeline.

Also, essential to executing the President’s instructions was to turn the mission over to our allies.  You can’t ask your allies to take over OUR mission, while stabbing them in the back.  Mattis knew this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4
President Trump has instructed military leaders to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria as soon as possible and told them he wants Arab allies to take over and pay for stabilizing and reconstructing areas liberated from the Islamic State, according to senior U.S. officials.

In a meeting with top national security aides Tuesday, Trump backtracked on his public insistence that the troop exit was imminent, now that the militants were “close to 100 percent” defeated. Pressed by the president to tell him how much more time they needed to finish the job, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph F. Dunford Jr. said it would probably be months, not years, officials said.

Trump agreed that the military, as fighting continued against remaining militant pockets, could train local security ­forces.

But officials said he stressed that U.S. strategic goals in Syria do not include longer-term stability or reconstruction efforts. He said he did not want to be having the same conversation about withdrawal six months or more from now.

So the President was not pulling the rug out from under the allies. He has been making it clear for months we were coming out soon, and Gen Mattis was being...insubordinate.

It is apparent that if 7 months after the guys who were told to make preparations for the US to exit and to work with our allies on it are now saying that we are pulling the rug out from under our allies or abandoning our allies, that they never made any attempt to lay the preparations to withdraw.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is apparent that if 7 months after the guys who were told to make preparations for the US to exit and to work with our allies on it are now saying that we are pulling the rug out from under our allies or abandoning our allies, that they never made any attempt to lay the preparations to withdraw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4

That is 100% false.  Ignorant.

The process, the engagement with our allies, and the metrics for the transition were all being executed EXACTLY as the President instructed, and 100% in accordance with HIS “conditions-based” requirements.

He simply changed his mind.  He said that the timeline “would not be arbitrary.”  Now he wants it to be just that.  Exactly like Obama.

Our ISIS policy WAS annihilation.  Now it’s back to the Obama policy of degradation.   Sad!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
If your facts are correct then Cincinnatus wouldn't be disagreeing and vice versa if Cincinnatus's facts were correct you wouldn't be disagreeing.

Nevermind, looks like Cincinnatus beat me to it.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The process, the engagement with our allies, and the metrics for the transition were all being executed EXACTLY as the President instructed, and 100% in accordance with HIS “conditions-based” requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4

Bullshit, the President was told it would only be a few months to hammer the last nails in ISIS after direct questioning on how long it take and he made it clear that US troops would be exiting afterward. Then no one should be surprised at the recent announcement. If people are now running around screaming we are pulling the rug out from under our allies, after being made aware that we would be leaving, it means they never attempted to do as they were ordered. So either they were once again attempting to snow the President on the pace of operations and were playing for time or they made no effort to work with our allies on our exit timeline. It is one or the other and neither are acceptable. Evern worse, it could be both.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Ha!  Sounds like Sec Mattis got tired of playing "wrong rock".  It seems thst game never ends no matter how high up you get.  I got tired of it after 25 years.  Sounds like you aren't after 32?
 I've dealt with bosses who's planning is as predictable as an empty Walmart bag in a breeze, and some on the other end, the former being more common.  Somehow, shit gets done.
 Mattis knew this going in.  Trump's style is an open book since the 80s.  It sounds like Mattis has a history of falling on his sword.  He reiterated it in his letter.  Not signing it "sincerely" or "respectfully" made it petty to me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bullshit, the President was told it would only be a few months to hammer the last nails in ISIS after direct questioning on how long it take and he made it clear that US troops would be exiting afterward. Then no one should be surprised at the recent announcement. If people are now running around screaming we are pulling the rug out from under our allies, after being made aware that we would be leaving, it means they never attempted to do as they were ordered. So either they were once again attempting to snow the President on the pace of operations and were playing for time or they made no effort to work with our allies on our exit timeline. It is one or the other and neither are acceptable. Evern worse, it could be both.
View Quote
If it's not a snap decision as you say, does that suggest that the timing of the withdrawal and to call with that Turkish dickhead is coincidental?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4

Nope.  100% not true.

No “a few months” nonsense.  THAT is arbitrary and contrary to what the President and his spokesperson specifically said.

The President’s policy was “conditions based” and “annihilation.”

Without telling his National Security staff, he changed it back to the arbitrary timelines and feckless Obama policy of degradation.

Sad!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The President does this to himself.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
The President found his replacement.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Mattis getting booted now lol

He must've confused support from pentagon staff weenies as popular support. As if the public is going to rally around him over preserving the "liberal international order" when they specifically voted against that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nope.  100% not true.

No “a few months” nonsense.  THAT is arbitrary and contrary to what the President and his spokesperson specifically said.

Without telling his National Security staff, he changed it back to the arbitrary timelines and feckless Obama policy of degradation.

Sad!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4

Nope.  100% not true.

Sad!
Go read the full article as well as some others. It looks like they were trying to snow the President again, just like they did on Afghanistan when Kelly, Mattis, Pence, and that Bald Prick lobbied the President not to withdraw from Afghanistan back in 2017.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think he will ever understand it either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people don't think CINC be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Defense Secretary James Mattis out on January 1 as angry Trump orders him gone after resignation letter seen as rebuke of his presidency

Mulvaney said on Sunday the relationship between Trump and Mattis had been 'fraying.'

'Look, let's be honest with each other. I think the relationship between these two men have been fraying. I think the president no longer relied on Mattis to be able to deliver the president's vision,' he said on 'Fox News Sunday.'

He noted on ABC's 'This Week' that the two men 'didn't have the same world view. You heard the president say a couple weeks ago, I think, in an interview that he recognized that Mr. Mattis - he called him a Democrat.'

He added: 'So no, I don't think it was a surprise.'

More
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go read the full article as well as some others. It looks like they were trying to snow the President again, just like they did on Afghanistan when Kelly, Mattis, Pence, and that Bald Prick lobbied the President not to withdraw from Afghanistan back in 2017.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Karen DeYoung and
Shane Harris April 4

Nope.  100% not true.

Sad!
Read it.  You’re wrong.

And think about what you’re saying.

Mattis, Kelly and Pence all trying to convince the a President to maintain HIS policy.

Is there a chance that the President is....wrong?

Do you believe that US policy is whatever the President Tweets?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like he got more that a $300k a year board of directors job!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like we get a fucking Obama era idiot businessmen running something he's never done himself.

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Read it.  You’re wrong.

Mattis, Kelly and Pence all trying to convince the a President to maintain HIS policy.

View Quote
You must have missed this, I can remember when this happened and who was involved. I can also remember when Candidate Trump wanted to get US troops out.

President Trump Shifts on Afghanistan After Being Lobbied By, Pence, Mattis, Kelly, and the Bald Back Stabbing Prick.

Trump, who once backed withdrawal from Afghanistan, tries to sell the nation on deeper involvement
By BRIAN BENNETT and NOAH BIERMAN
AUG 21, 2017 | 8:10 PM
| WASHINGTON

-------------------------------------

VP Pence came out from a foreign trip early to lobby the President. Lots of promises were made by the DOD and the ones involved about what could be done. Bannon and other key supporters were upset at the President letting the US be drawn in deeper into Afghanistan. Erik Prince statted the President had been sold a bill of goods, he outlined why the ramp up would not change the situation and laid out things that could have been done to get the US out. He was vocal that the President was getting sold the same policies and strategies that had failed for 15 years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like we get a fucking Obama era idiot businessmen running something he's never done himself.

Sounds about right.
View Quote
At this point extricating the US from Afghanistan is likely the best option and once again President Trump is having to keep promises other Presidents made.. Similar to TPP, NAFTA, Paris Climate Accord.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You must have missed this, I can remember when this happened and who was involved. I can also remember when Candidate Trump wanted to get US troops out.

President Trump Shifts on Afghanistan After Being Lobbied By, Pence, Mattis, Kelly, and the Bald Back Stabbing Prick.

Trump, who once backed withdrawal from Afghanistan, tries to sell the nation on deeper involvement
| WASHINGTON

VP Pence came out from a foreign trip early to lobby the President. Lots of promises were made by the DOD and the ones involved about what could be done. Bannon and other key supporters were upset at the President letting the US be drawn in deeper into Afghanistan. Erik Prince statted the President had been sold a bill of goods, he outlined why the ramp up would not change the situation and laid out things that could have been done to get the US out. He was vocal that the President was getting sold the same policies and strategies that had failed for 15 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it.  You’re wrong.

| WASHINGTON

I missed nothing.  Withdrawal has always been the policy, but NOT based on an arbitrary timeline.

The article points out that campaign rhetoric is often based on ignorance.  The Oresident learned this, but has now forgotten..

That Trump at one time recognized the need to surge makes this even worse.  He knows that it’s wrong to leave when the shitheads are on the ropes, yet he wants to anyhow.

This is arbitrary by any definition of the word.

This is the Obama policy, but more reckless.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He must've confused support from pentagon staff weenies as popular support. As if the public is going to rally around him over preserving the "liberal international order" when they specifically voted against that.
View Quote
A mechanical engineer as SECDEF.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#34]
This is like Robert McNamara 2: SecDef Boogaloo.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I missed nothing.  Withdrawal has always been the policy, but NOT based on an arbitrary timeline.

The article points out that campaign rhetoric is often based on ignorance.  The Oresident learned this, but has now forgotten..

That Trump at one time recognized the need to surge makes this even worse.  He knows that it’s wrong to leave when the shitheads are on the ropes, yet he wants to anyhow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it.  You’re wrong.

| WASHINGTON

I imagine the President is reacted to a withdraw timeline of never and a request for a few hundred billion more in $$ to support securing Afghanistan from the same guys who didn't want to put US troops on the southern border. Pretty much what Bannon and Prince predicted when the brain trust sold the plan to President Trump in 2017.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Shanahan seems like a very sharp dude.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Shanahan seems like a very sharp dude.
View All Quotes
For what he does, or as a new Secretary of Defense?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't lump General Kelly in with those faggots. Kelly may have had differences of opinion with Trump, but he is as honorable and devoted a man to have served this country as there has been in the last 80 years. Notice how Trump hasn't said a cross word about Kelly? He respects the hell out of him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't lump General Kelly in with those faggots. Kelly may have had differences of opinion with Trump, but he is as honorable and devoted a man to have served this country as there has been in the last 80 years. Notice how Trump hasn't said a cross word about Kelly? He respects the hell out of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The President may respect Kelly, but Kelly was deeply involved in lobbying the President to continue and expend US troop presence in Afghanistan with VP Pence, Mattis, the Bald Dickhead, and others. Kelly still believed that more time & US troops would work in Afghanistan. I am sure Kelly, Pence, and probably Mattis believed it. The Bald Dickhead, who knows WTF goes on that clown's mind.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
If there’s anything I’ve learned in life it’s that over half the public thinks bombs or law enforcement will solve all potential threats to national security
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your answer is Bill Roggio “painting a rosy picture”
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
They also voted Obama twice
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ha!  Sounds like Sec Mattis got tired of playing "wrong rock".  It seems thst game never ends no matter how high up you get.  I got tired of it after 25 years.  Sounds like you aren't after 32?
 I've dealt with bosses who's planning is as predictable as an empty Walmart bag in a breeze, and some on the other end, the former being more common.  Somehow, shit gets done.
 Mattis knew this going in.  Trump's style is an open book since the 80s.  It sounds like Mattis has a history of falling on his sword.  He reiterated it in his letter.  Not signing it "sincerely" or "respectfully" made it petty to me.
View Quote
fair point
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope.  100% not true.

Sad!
View Quote
My assessment for Syria & Afghanistan withdrawal TIMING
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Read it.  You’re wrong.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is this really "retiring" or "I can't deal with you any longer"?
View Quote
The best thing about "getting fired" at the SES level of government is that you get all your retirement benefits anyway, so he really is retiring.

Not that we'll necessarily get to know what actually happened.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it.  You’re wrong.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/C6A8B56C-9F12-48D0-BF14-8C449B850F47_jpeg-782909.JPG
Of course they can’t stand the risks of delegation. Well that’s how the successful businessman worked in the private sector, and doesn’t everyone want the DoD structure flattened?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

“Decimating ISIS”?

That’s our metric for victory?

10%?
View Quote
He said decimated in Syria. ISIS held and controlled many towns and districts for years in Syria had a pretty large ground force spread throughout over 40,000. Now they are down to less then 600 fighters and are holed up in one small town which is surrounded by Russian and Syrian forces. Its time for our guys to leave Syria, they can clean up the rest.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Stephen Miller Clashes With Blitzer Over Mattis Resignation, Syria Withdrawal
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top