Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2021 7:13:00 PM EDT
All end of the world jokes aside .

With both current technology and possible future technology in mind.

Do you think a Terminator style machine could potentially be a piece of equipment for militaries of the future?

Or would they ever let it go that far?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The Boston Dynamics “Do you love me” video should disabuse you of any happy fun notions.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting thought experiment.

The government couldn’t build one because it would never meet all the requirements.  

I bet Ole Muskie could build one.

ETA:  I’m thinking of the raw computer and skeleton.  Living tissue would be a stretch.  I don’t know why you would give it tissue though.  The metal machine would be terrifying enough.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The real limitation for the foreseeable future, in my uninformed opinion, is the power supply.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Present technology lets us Ginsu knife terrorists and the car in front of them suffers no collateral damage.

Shooting up a police station or night club is just crude in comparison.

Far more likely skynet of the future will just turn off everything to problem people, no internet or bank and you are homeless struggling to survive, nobody will help you unless they want to join you
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real limitation for the foreseeable future, in my uninformed opinion, is the power supply.
View Quote

I think this is the main problem. The servos, motors, electronics, and other mechanical stuff we can do now. But powering it all is the problem. Same issue with real life armored exoskeletons. The the exoskeletons exist already, but need to be tethered to a power supply.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think this is the main problem. The servos, motors, electronics, and other mechanical stuff we can do now. But powering it all is the problem. Same issue with real life armored exoskeletons. The the exoskeletons exist already, but need to be tethered to a power supply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small swarm of drones with facial recognition and a 22 LR will get the job done, that is possible with todays technology.  In many ways that is scarier than a T-800 level of robot
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I think battery tech is the one thing holding it back. I doubt they would be as robust as in the movies. Probably more like I, Robot. Or Chappie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
swarms of drones would get pretty interesting if they could self charge.  I wonder how hard it would be to set them up for wireless charging.  Put out a few thousand charging stations, keep a few on target with the ability to activate 1000's that are charged an on standby.

While I am actively imagining things - allowing them to retract their blades and giving them a ability to take off with the blades retracted could allow the swarms to store in a relatively small area.  I am imagining a trailer based launching system with tubes - and charging stations at the bottom of the tubes.  At even 1/4sq ft per drone, a 6x12 trailer could carry close to 500.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Well other countries have brothels with sex dolls already. So sure why not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Boston Dynamics: Rise of the Dance of the Machines
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I think that there are still major problems with optical recognition.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
swarms of drones would get pretty interesting if they could self charge.  I wonder how hard it would be to set them up for wireless charging.  Put out a few thousand charging stations, keep a few on target with the ability to activate 1000's that are charged an on standby.

While I am actively imagining things - allowing them to retract their blades and giving them a ability to take off with the blades retracted could allow the swarms to store in a relatively small area.  I am imagining a trailer based launching system with tubes - and charging stations at the bottom of the tubes.  At even 1/4sq ft per drone, a 6x12 trailer could carry close to 500.
View Quote

I’m mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car’s combustion engine charges the battery? You’d just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don’t have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If it could be done, would dogs be able to tell?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The machine? Absolutely
The AI? Probably
The living tissue that looks human? Wouldn't surprise me
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car’s combustion engine charges the battery? You’d just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don’t have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
View Quote

Am I misreading this or are you asking if a perpetual motion machine is possible?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Drone swarms scare me.

How do you fight 1000 autonomous little drones?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In the first movie, every Sarah Conner in the phone book was getting killed, so a few people who look similar on facial recognition wouldn't deter skynet

Quoted:

No, you are basically describing perpetual motion.  The alternator in your car is powered by the motor, if you dyno a car with the belts on, then remove the belt there is a several horsepower difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Drone swarms scare me.

View Quote

Sons of Guns Shotgun Gatling Gun T
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car's combustion engine charges the battery? You'd just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don't have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
View Quote
Then it would just use energy to make energy with friction/heat losses in the process. Li-ion could easily power one for short periods though. Could even stuff stripped down inverter generator in it though and have a serial hybrid robot

It won't run for years, but dropping 10 out of a swat truck to ruin your day would be feasible.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until they get to blade runner level good, I think dogs would be able to tell.

I’m pretty sure my dog can tell I’m about to take a shit before I realize I need to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Those are called humans, lol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Why do we still not have mech suits for power loading?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The power supply is the limiting factor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Well its possible if the guy delivering the parts pulls over and changes the flat tire instead of driving until his teeth are the only identifiable part of him left.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Drone swarms scare me.

View Quote
This is valid.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well its possible if the guy delivering the parts pulls over and changes the flat tire instead of driving until his teeth are the only identifiable part of him left.
View Quote
*snort*
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Not anytime soon because power source.

Also, fluid motion. And interactivity for covert insertions.

Mostly because power source.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure my dog can tell I’m about to take a shit before I realize I need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dog would just lay on her back waiting for Terminator belly-rubs
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Boston Dynamics “Do you love me” video should disabuse you of any happy fun notions.
View Quote

QFT.  I said when I saw that, "Just put some metallic shell on this and give it a gun and it's a T800."  Fuggin scary.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Am I misreading this or are you asking if a perpetual motion machine is possible?  
View Quote

Like an automatic watch
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Once battery technology advances yes.

Right now robots batt will be dead in a few hours or less.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

QFT.  I said when I saw that, "Just put some metallic shell on this and give it a gun and it's a T800."  Fuggin scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a T70. T800 used the living tissue exterior.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Drone swarms scare me.

View Quote

EMP, or if you can't do that, get a screen door.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

at this time, I would have to agree.. the IC engines that power the Boston Dynamic units are not the answer...  people won't like the answer...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

EMP, or if you can't do that, get a screen door.
View Quote

lasers and AI...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

US, Russia, China all have this already.

China's drone-style MLRS carries about 100 drones on it, all with about a 40 mile range, and more than enough warhead to take out vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This 100%
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is valid.
View Quote

Microwave gun? Works wonders on crowds and doesn't need bullets
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

They are coming.

Sarcos Guardian XO Powered Exosuit Demo
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Till they figure out a more efficient power source, I don’t think you will see an autonomous type of platform that could function for many years without a recharge.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. They'd have to armor the battery pack up pretty well, too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Look at how far some electric scooters can go. Lot of the battery life in bipedal robots is waisted on inefficient motion. A lot of Boston dynamic progress is some really creative gearing for their motors. Taking the force of a spinning motor and duplicating the results of a muscle can easily waste a lot of the force of the motor. Look at linear actuators. A simple linear actuators is not good at getting the vareity of speeds and force needed by a good bipedal robot. Terminator style tech is within the realm of possibity. There are a few key hurdles yet and it does not look like it will be long before they are solved.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Interesting thought experiment.

The government couldn’t build one because it would never meet all the requirements.  

I bet Ole Muskie could build one.

ETA:  I’m thinking of the raw computer and skeleton.  Living tissue would be a stretch.  I don’t know why you would give it tissue though.  The metal machine would be terrifying enough.
View Quote

Keeping the tissue viable would be the biggest hurdle, but that is only needed for infiltration and time travel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Power loading? Ha!

I'm waiting for mechs with large bore auto cannons and heavy gauss rifles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Seems like you could build a humanoid robot, but why v a sphere or some other shape.

Drones and nano weapons will probably do us in
View Quote

Infiltration, of course.

They never really explained why that was so important.

But they wanted to infiltrate into human compounds.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Seems like you could build a humanoid robot, but why v a sphere or some other shape.

Drones and nano weapons will probably do us in
View Quote

I brought up similar arguments in a few other threads.

The only reason to have an anthropoid robot is to help people emotionally connect with it easier, and to perhaps appease mankind's innate vanity.

Treads, wheels, quad legs, and the like are all more inherently stable designs. A bipedal robot would be rife with balance issues, and would likely require an extremely large gyroscopic stabilization system.

Battletech, here we come!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Drone swarms scare me.

View Quote

Nets. Shitloads of balloons. Shotguns. GPS Jammers.

Think low-tech, don't think in terms of a bunch of stinger missiles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nets. Shitloads of balloons. Shotguns. GPS Jammers.

Think low-tech, don't think in terms of a bunch of stinger missiles.
View Quote

How about Faraday cages with large degaussing loops at every entrance?

The smaller a drone is, the less room there is for EMP shielding.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top