Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Most countries are 5 - 10 years away.  Hammer Industries:  20.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I brought up similar arguments in a few other threads.

The only reason to have an anthropoid robot is to help people emotionally connect with it easier, and to perhaps appease mankind's innate vanity.

Treads, wheels, quad legs, and the like are all more inherently stable designs. A bipedal robot would be rife with balance issues, and would likely require an extremely large gyroscopic stabilization system.

Battletech, here we come!
View Quote

I don't agree.

There are at least a couple of very good reasons for the human shape.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’m mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car’s combustion engine charges the battery? You’d just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don’t have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
View Quote

That is called perpetual motion is it is not possible in our universe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I think we will have battle mechs before 2450. Will they have Gauss rifles and heavy lasers and Place? Maybe so v
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
This. Make industrial labor fun again
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyway terminator androids scare me far less than suicide drone swarms.

Human sized bipedal androids will be fairly easy to engage for the average armed individual for the foreseeable future, even supposing a breakthrough in battery capacity.

How do you deal with hundreds of small, incredibly fast flying machines all loaded with just enough c4 to blow a limb off?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Boston Dynamics “Do you love me” video should disabuse you of any happy fun notions.
View Quote

Yep. In my lifetime we went from a dude in this prop...

Attachment Attached File

...to those coreraphed abominations. No way that shit does not get weaponized. Likely by those who don't need weaponized killer droids.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't agree.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason to have an anthropoid robot is to help people emotionally connect with it easier, and to perhaps appease mankind's innate vanity.

Treads, wheels, quad legs, and the like are all more inherently stable designs. A bipedal robot would be rife with balance issues, and would likely require an extremely large gyroscopic stabilization system.

I don't agree.

It helps support your case better if you go on to explain what those reasons are...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting thought experiment.

The government couldn’t build one because it would never meet all the requirements.  

I bet Ole Muskie could build one.

ETA:  I’m thinking of the raw computer and skeleton.  Living tissue would be a stretch.  I don’t know why you would give it tissue though.  The metal machine would be terrifying enough.
View Quote

Little eyeball shooting fly drones and a pack of these dogs scares the hell out of me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Our first battlefield killer android will be a retooled (lol) sex android.  Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Our first battlefield killer android will be a retooled (lol) sex android.  Guaranteed.
View Quote

You must deny them your essence.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It helps support your case better if you go on to explain what those reasons are...
View Quote

It's not hard to guess.

One, the psychological impact of a human-shaped device that is obviously not human.  It would produce fear at the most instinctive level.

The other that occurs to me is the opportunity for the machine to use common human appliances and devices, such as (but not limited to) automobiles and firearms.

Which of those is more important is another matter.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Drone swarms scare me.

How do you fight 1000 autonomous little drones?
View Quote

Fight them with 100,000 autonomous little drones
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]

T-600's would be easier as they only have rubber skin.  The hardest part about the T-800 series would be the living human tissue with blood and hair.   T-600 are just steel though and not the mysterious hyper-alloy of the T-800.   What kind of metal could resist high velocity impacts?

"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human — sweat, bad breath, everything."  - Kyle Reese.

Mass produced Chappie would be more likely.

I would agree that drones would be scarier then bipeds, but i think bipedal terminators would still be in existence as they could communicate more effectively and use common tools, vehicles, weapon systems, etc...

It would also be easier for an advanced AI that wants to eliminate humans to just poison us after nuking us and/or use bio weapons.  Why didn't Skynet just use gas like Mustard gas or something worse?   No real need for an infiltrator IMO.

I'd want an army of IG-11's  

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Bipedal with two free arms and two grasping hands is the tits for manipulating the environment around you.

Why mess with success?   Especially given the infrastructure left over from and designed for the previous 8 billion bipedal creatures you just curbstomped.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fight them with 100,000 autonomous little drones
View Quote

EMP?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think battery tech is the one thing holding it back. I doubt they would be as robust as in the movies. Probably more like I, Robot. Or Chappie.
View Quote

Laughs in Tesla
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#19]
They will be deployed eventually once the tech matures.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well other countries have brothels with sex dolls already. So sure why not.
View Quote

Dolls, you say... In countries ?
I must have, inexplicably missed this thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Small swarm of drones with facial recognition and a 22 LR will get the job done, that is possible with todays technology.  In many ways that is scarier than a T-800 level of robot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real limitation for the foreseeable future, in my uninformed opinion, is the power supply.

I think this is the main problem. The servos, motors, electronics, and other mechanical stuff we can do now. But powering it all is the problem. Same issue with real life armored exoskeletons. The the exoskeletons exist already, but need to be tethered to a power supply.

Small swarm of drones with facial recognition and a 22 LR will get the job done, that is possible with todays technology.  In many ways that is scarier than a T-800 level of robot

This....

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Power loading? Ha!

I'm waiting for mechs with large bore auto cannons and heavy gauss rifles.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__27__jpeg-1763031.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72701/download__26__jpeg-1763032.JPG
View Quote

I still have PTSD from that stealth Fafnir with dual gauss.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The real limitation for the foreseeable future, in my uninformed opinion, is the power supply.
View Quote

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-unique-light-matter-mixture.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Until a more portable and dense energy storage solution is found, we are relatively safe from rampaging Terminators. For years now, they have supposedly been on the cusp of graphene batteries that store 10x what current batteries store. Such a battery would revolutionize a lot of things though, not just Terminators.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car's combustion engine charges the battery? You'd just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don't have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
swarms of drones would get pretty interesting if they could self charge.  I wonder how hard it would be to set them up for wireless charging.  Put out a few thousand charging stations, keep a few on target with the ability to activate 1000's that are charged an on standby.

While I am actively imagining things - allowing them to retract their blades and giving them a ability to take off with the blades retracted could allow the swarms to store in a relatively small area.  I am imagining a trailer based launching system with tubes - and charging stations at the bottom of the tubes.  At even 1/4sq ft per drone, a 6x12 trailer could carry close to 500.

I'm mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car's combustion engine charges the battery? You'd just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don't have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
You can never get something for nothing. In physics, nothing is free. If you have an alternator like device that "creates" electricity, it is robbing power from somewhere. In the case of your car, it's stealing energy from the combustion engine. It produces more than it needs to push the car forward. That energy that the alternator steals reduces the efficiency of the engine though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All end of the world jokes aside .

With both current technology and possible future technology in mind.

Do you think a Terminator style machine could potentially be a piece of equipment for militaries of the future?

Or would they ever let it go that far?
View Quote
I can see it happening.    At first it would have a lot more of a tether to a human making decisions, but it would be cheaper, faster, more effective, and would follow orders in the long run to cut the humans out.  Ever read the Bolo series of books by Keith Laumer?  

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like you could build a humanoid robot, but why v a sphere or some other shape.

Drones and nano weapons will probably do us in

Or Traveller where the armor goes from something you wear to a pod you sit in using anti grav.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Boston dynamics already has robots capable of murder, and AI is already advanced enough to handle the simple task of indiscriminately killing. If someone combined the two, you'd have a crude t-800 right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I’m mechanically inept, but could you not build it so its motion powers an alternator to charge the battery as it goes? Kind of like a car’s combustion engine charges the battery? You’d just need to generate power at the rates that it is consumed. We probably don’t have that level of efficiency yet, but in time maybe.
View Quote

There is this law called conservation of energy. Basically energy can not be created or destroyed. It moves from one form to another. In other terms you can't get something from nothing. Alternators take force to turn when generating power, so you have to use that much power just to turn them. You lose that power to heat and friction.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Look at how far some electric scooters can go. Lot of the battery life in bipedal robots is waisted on inefficient motion. A lot of Boston dynamic progress is some really creative gearing for their motors. Taking the force of a spinning motor and duplicating the results of a muscle can easily waste a lot of the force of the motor. Look at linear actuators. A simple linear actuators is not good at getting the vareity of speeds and force needed by a good bipedal robot. Terminator style tech is within the realm of possibity. There are a few key hurdles yet and it does not look like it will be long before they are solved.
View Quote

We've got some really slick computer controlled valving tech that's quite mature now, automotive applications like active suspension and fuel delivery. I'd be surprised if the solution isn't hydraulic. It'd be nice if we used that sort of thing to help amputees and such.

Slaughterbots are definitely scarier than terminators though, especially considering the low barriers to entry.

It must really suck for protection details these days, all sorts of scary shit is within reach for your average nutjob, let alone an organization or nation.

Guns are such a 20th century issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Seems to me micro drones with relational sized EFP's might be kinda devastating. I'd put them in self launching, air dropped batteries that activate with sensing.

Why mess with humanoid robots? Seems unnecessary.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top