Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/16/2018 10:05:06 PM EDT
Is Sex Addiction a real disease? Does it require a real doctor to diagnose it or can someone just say "I really like sex a lot and can't stop myself from trying to get laid or jerk it"?

And if so, does it fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Like could it protect someone who was caught masturbating in his office this morning and might be fired after meeting with HR tomorrow afternoon? Like could our hypothetical hero just say "can't fire me, got a disease"? or if he gets fired could he sue for a bunch of money?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
No but fun as hell
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a shame about hand job
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a compulsion.
Are you off your meds?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So OP has "a friend" that got caught jerking it at work?

Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In on 1
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
If they make stuffing your face with food a disease (ie, obseity), why not anything?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a disease.  You need sexual healing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In on 1
View Quote
Holy shit OP

This is great
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they make stuffing your face with food a disease (ie, obseity), why not anything?
View Quote
Personal responsibility is for suckers!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is Sex Addiction a real disease? Does it require a real doctor to diagnose it or can someone just say "I really like sex a lot and can't stop myself from trying to get laid or jerk it"?

Like could it protect someone who was caught masturbating in his office this morning and might be fired after meeting with HR tomorrow afternoon? Like could our hypothetical hero just say "can't fire me, got a disease"? or if he gets fired could he sue for a bunch of money?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote
It’s only a disease when you’re an ugly, fat, chick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Rubbing one out at work is usually not the best idea. You could have at least went to the john.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a disease.  You need sexual healing.
View Quote
Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
How did your friend get caught
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're giving handjobs in the truck stop bathroom for the fun of it, you might have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Asking for a friend.
View Quote
Stop it, you’re making WV look even worse than people already think it is.

But uhhhh.....could I like...get a service animal for that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Sex addiction is what happens when an incel finally gets pussy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're giving handjobs in the truck stop bathroom for the fun of it, you might have a problem.
View Quote
As long as you're not doing it for the fun of it....it's ok right?  Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you know something is wrong and it is effecting you negatively and you do it anyway, you are not normal.

If you do continually something that negatively effects the people you truly love, you are not normal.

Is that a disease? Possibly. You certainly aren't normal mentally.

You guys who are just saying "don't do it" are normal. You can't understand it because you don't have that problem because you are normal.

It isn't normal.
View Quote
You’re making me feel abnormal
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You forgot the “”s
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You forgot the “”s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forgot the “”s
How did your friend get "caught"
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#24]
OP is too busy beating it to reply
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol I love gd
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been to Colorado recently?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Find and check into a 30 day program tonight or by 8am tomorrow.  Be sure to use your insurance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a friend that has been diagnosed as a sex addict. When he was at his worst he would literally hit on every Asian girl he could, and would interpret anything as flirting. It was unreal. I think at one point he had 4 girlfriends too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a friend that has been diagnosed as a sex addict. When he was at his worst he would literally hit on every Asian girl he could, and would interpret anything as flirting. It was unreal. I think at one point he had 4 girlfriends too.
View Quote
What’s your point? Was that wrong?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are asking whether sex addiction is widely recognized, the answer is no.  It is a "process addiction" similar to gambling and video gaming and there is a great deal of resistance within the psychological community (which leans heavily liberal and has been pushing the "its all good just get consent" mantra for decades).  It is not currently in the DSM, though there is a wealth of science to back it up as an addiction.

in fact, if you look at the brain chemistry of a sex addict, you will find that it looks nearly indistinguishable from the brain chemistry of a meth addict.

more info here:  https://addictioneducationsociety.org/dr-kevin-mccauley-pleasure-unwoven/
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it sounds pretty awesome myself.

I wonder if chicks at Sex Addicts Anonymous meetings are totally down to fuck in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you are asking whether sex addiction is widely recognized, the answer is no.  It is a "process addiction" similar to gambling and video gaming and there is a great deal of resistance within the psychological community (which leans heavily liberal and has been pushing the "its all good just get consent" mantra for decades).  It is not currently in the DSM, though there is a wealth of science to back it up as an addiction.

in fact, if you look at the brain chemistry of a sex addict, you will find that it looks nearly indistinguishable from the brain chemistry of a meth addict.

more info here:  https://addictioneducationsociety.org/dr-kevin-mccauley-pleasure-unwoven/
View Quote
All kidding aside, who decides if something goes in or gets taken out of the DSM?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, no service animal for my “friend” then?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#34]
DSM-5 doesn't recognize it as a condition, so thinking any chance of claiming ADA protection won't fly, let alone a lawsuit after termination.

ETA: Beat. Not beatING [/b]but I was beaten to the reply. [/b]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]
God help us all I'm addicted to pussy!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are sex therapists that fuck their patients. Helen Hunt played on in a movie a few years back. She finally showed bush, it's just too bad she was like 50-something at the time.

But yeah, service whore may be a thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I may have been vaccinated at some point I’m my life.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
My name is SBZ06 and I'm an addict.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think I may have been vaccinated at some point I’m my life.
View Quote
Uhh... phrasing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All kidding aside, who decides if something goes in or gets taken out of the DSM?
View Quote
No idea, I am not a mental health professional.

if you want to find out whether you are a sex addict, though, or at least, the likelihood, there is a test:  https://psychology-tools.com/sast
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Asking for a friend.
View Quote
To answer your other questions:  NO.

just because you are an addict does not absolve you of responsibility for your actions.  If you're a drunk and if affects your work, you get fired.  Doesn't matter that you have a disease.  No different with any other addiction.

some employers might go light on someone who agrees to seek help, but in the #metoo era, I'm thinking sex addiction is not going to be so easily forgiven.

there are treatment centers for sex addiction just like drugs and alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a friend who has been helped by SAA and targeted therapy for sex addiction.

When you smack the same dopamine rush enough times you stop getting the effect that made you do it in the first place.  That leads to a cycle of more and more to try to get that feeling again, which can end up having substantial negative affects on a person's life.

I think the "disease" concept is tough for a lot of people to get on board with.  But if that's the buzz word needed to get people help that really makes a positive difference in their lives then I'm fine with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it was Wong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wonder if chicks at Sex Addicts Anonymous meetings are totally down to fuck in the parking lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, if you think the all consuming emptiness that disassociated him from reality, caused him to seek dangerous and unhealthy relationships, interfered with all of his friendships, interfered with his jobs, led him to abuse drugs and alcohol, and led him to turn his body into a carving board, is awesome then have at it.

When I worked at bars I had a lot of friends and coworkers bang many a skank, this was something completely different.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Sex by nature is an addiction, if it were not then you would only do it once and be satisfied. OK, maybe twice
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sure, if you think the all consuming emptiness that disassociated him from reality, caused him to seek dangerous and unhealthy relationships, interfered with all of his friendships, interfered with his jobs, led him to abuse drugs and alcohol, and led him to turn his body into a carving board, is awesome then have at it.

When I worked at bars I had a lot of friends and coworkers bang many a skank, this was something completely different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, when you put it like that...
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I would love an ada placard for being a sex addict.

It's discrimination against my disability if I cant have sex in my office.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#50]
My dad was a sex addict, got HIV for his troubles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top