Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/1/2014 12:54:21 PM EDT
Looking at pics from Nevada, training pics, etc, and then seeing two guys at an indoor range wearing these things, I have come to the conclusion that I am not  badass, tacticool, tier anything and destined to be dusted first in any engagement.  

I just ain't got the right stuff to wear, man.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
they work well,I've been wearing them in the desert since before they were tacticool and just way to keep from cooking your melon and sand out of your face.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one I'll sell you for $87.
I think it's made by KAC.
Tier 1, bro.

EDIT- When I was in the sand, they were a big no no. Apparently if they caught on fire you were fooked. So we were issued fire resistant baclavas, which absolutely nobody wore.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
They are handy to pack around...Good as a scarf, hankerchief, headwrap, bindle in case you decide to become a hobo... Toilet paper also if you're a hobo who has had all his stuff stolen and can't find leaves because he's in the artic...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Indoor range?  Sweet.  Goggles too?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one, but have never worn it. I don't think I ever will.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they work well,I've been wearing them in the desert since before they were tacticool.
View Quote

Oh yeah? Well I invented them.

Well I wrapped an old diaper around my head. Same thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Shemahgs?   Dats racist!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
muj scarfs or what all the hipsters wear around DuPont circle in DC
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you are in the ME you look like a tool wearing one.  JMHO
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
They are a great tool for keeping brass off your neck when shooting in high power matches.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
They have their uses. Good for keeping rotor wash out of your face.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I rock my shemagh during the winter, which is ironically when my shmegma is at its highest.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw several guys sporting them at the last Boy Scout district camp-out I attend. Middle aged guys with shemaghs, with boyscout pants bloused into their sand-colored Converse boots. I figured they probably have some sweet airsoft replicas too...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll pick you up some ginuwine ones when I get back to work in a couple of weeks. Only 50.00 each, shipped !! PayPal only !
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read that as "Maine," at first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I wear mine when I TACMOW!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool shemagh story bro.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a few in my BOB. They are as useful as a boyscout scarf.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

they work well,I've been wearing them in the desert since before they were tacticool.
View Quote
I have worn one to class at ASU. It is the only way to ride your bike to school in the middle of a dust storm.

ETA: I did take it off and stuff it in my back pack once I was out of the storm.

ETA2: If anyone knows of a source of neon/hunters orange shemaghs, let me know.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I've worn them overseas (usually in dust storms), but I haven't seen mine since I returned. Now I'm wondering where it is....
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I wear mine in the winter because it's warm, and since it's legit (got it from a dead hajji) it pisses off all the Arabic immigrants when I go downtown.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
they've become so ridiculously poser,   it could be a proven fact that wearing one doubles your chance to survive, and I'll go without it.      

I think unless you were actually IN delta force or the seals, the Middle East, or were, and are actually either IN a sandstorm, or IN Iraq or Afghanistan at that very moment,  it's poser.

I only saw one person wearing one at a gun range that wasn't poser. It was a ridiculously hot chick shooting a 10/22 while wearing a shemeagh  but it matched her outfit and I bet a hundred dollars if I asked her where she got her tactical shemaagh, she'd have said "this old scarf thing?"
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Many uses.  Utility is not for "Tier 1" only.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a gaitor that I wear at work or outside when it's really cold.  Few different ways to wear.  Looks tacticool without going full blown Afghan special forces
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Never worn one. Never will. Just not cool enough.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Hipsters
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I know people like to talk up how unbelievably useful a piece of cloth can be (god only knows how the human race made it this far without all of the manly men using them), but lets face it, they are a fashion accessory. If you want to wear one, that's fine. I personally think they look silly and screams "I wanna look like a warfighter!," but it's a free country and that shouldn't matter to anybody.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've got one I'll sell you for $87.
I think it's made by KAC.
Tier 1, bro.

EDIT- When I was in the sand, they were a big no no. Apparently if they caught on fire you were fooked. So we were issued fire resistant baclavas, which absolutely nobody wore.
View Quote

Got no use for a shemaganoggin but tell me more about these fire resistant baclavas........
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I wrap one around my head when I'm hunting in full camo - works to keep warm/keep out mosquitoes, for the most part. Don't know why you'd wear one to an indoor range though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
In the old days we took a od green Cravat out of the first aid kits and wore them in similar ways. we called them "Go to hell rags"

you kids call our M-16's Muskets
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one from Iraq.  Thought about wearing to work to see what Nuclear Security thinks about it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#33]
If their plan is to wear one if they are involved in a combat situation then they should train in one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought this was cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Crossed-Rifles-Shemagh-Tactical/dp/B0096QMPW0
I always keep a shemagh or a big bandana in my pack.  They come in handy quite often, usually for keeping the sun off my kneck or the sand out of my nose.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wear mine in the winter because it's warm, and since it's legit (got it from a dead hajji) it pisses off all the Arabic immigrants when I go downtown.
View Quote

I wish you had about a million of those.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I used one once in NTC so I wouldn't get sunburn on the back of my neck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#37]
LT said "lay hands on one, they are very useful for ________", but I haven't used it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a couple. They are pretty useful I think. I use them when I'm riding ATV to keep the dust out, while on the boat on a cold morning running across the lake, at work (yes at work) when the dust storms move in to keep from being sand blasted, and I soak it and wrap it around my neck on the super hot days.

I'd use a bandanna, but then I'd have to wear a tie dye one to keep from getting shot by the thugs yo!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought tattoos were good for self identification until those became popular.   Makes my life much easier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha, I'd actually wear one with a back story like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it still smell of Thursdays?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I thought tattoos were good for self identification until those became popular.   Makes my life much easier.
View Quote

So you only wear them when posting here?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only Friday morning...

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In the old days we took a od green Cravat out of the first aid kits and wore them in similar ways. we called them "Go to hell rags"

you kids call our M-16's Muskets
View Quote

OD cravat is the way to go.  Never wore a CVC without one under it.  Kept the dust off my face during thunder runs.  Love those things.  Medics were always made because we'd steal them constantly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm old school I got a scarf.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have one, but have never worn it. I don't think I ever will.
View Quote

I've got one in my footlocker. I've washed it several times but I can't get the bloodstain out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

View Quote

Normal stuff doesn't look cool.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I was just thinking about getting a white one to wear when I'm fishing.   I could get burned fishing under a full moon in a thunder storm.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top