Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are handy to pack around...Good as a scarf, hankerchief, headwrap, bindle in case you decide to become a hobo... Toilet paper also if you're a hobo who has had all his stuff stolen and can't find leaves because he's in the artic...
View Quote

Also for flagging down passing spaceships, so you can hitch a ride.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear one when hiking to keep the sun off my neck and I also carry a Nikon D300 around my neck and it keeps it from rubbing me raw.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking at pics from Nevada, training pics, etc, and then seeing two guys at an indoor range wearing these things, I have come to the conclusion that I am not  badass, tacticool, tier anything and destined to be dusted first in any engagement.  

I just ain't got the right stuff to wear, man.  

View Quote

I'll bet $20 those guys also have these:

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Around here Hipsters wear them more than anyone else.  HSLD wannabes are a distant second.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh look.... lets all gather around and talk about what other men wear. It's fun!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Their shemags, their rules.

You're also free to date other men with similar fashion sense so...

Welp, that's all I got.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wear mine in the winter because it's warm, and since it's legit (got it from a dead hajji) it pisses off all the Arabic immigrants when I go downtown.
View Quote

I consider them poser garb in all situations.  I am however forced to change my rule in your case. War trophies are always cool doesn't matter if it's a pink tutu as long as it has pedigree.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oh look.... lets all gather around and talk about what other men wear. It's fun!
View Quote

Sounds like something a person who wears a shemagh to an indoor range would say.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Question for all the shemahgians:

Why don't you just use a scarf?

The guy who took it from the dead fucker is exempt, of course.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the old days we took a od green Cravat out of the first aid kits and wore them in similar ways. we called them "Go to hell rags"

you kids call our M-16's Muskets
View Quote

Still have one in the little carton in my Y- harness LBEs bandage pouch.(Yes, getting old.) They worked well to avoid eating dust if you were driving or commanding but we wore them more like old western bank-robber masks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Just like that palestinian scarf women love for some stupid reason.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I man up and let dust and birds and rocks and stray seeds get in my face. I don't shoot wearing gloves or have any camo or black clothing.

Least-tacticool guy on the site.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought a couple of keffiyeh when I was in the neighborhood. I use one as a scarf when its cold. Otherwise, they sit on a shelf.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I man up and let dust and birds and rocks and stray seeds get in my face. I don't shoot wearing gloves or have any camo or black clothing.

Least-tacticool guy on the site.

View Quote

Nuh-uh...
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't this thread repeated every other month or so?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know it!

Just saw one asking what everyone's measurements and pants sizes and shit were....

Wonder if they have threads like that on bass fishing forums...

How you been? Hope everything is well with you brother!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You know it!

Just saw one asking what everyone's measurements and pants sizes and shit were....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know it!

Been doing good. Started work at a new company, going to school, etc.
Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

View Quote

Just give them your number so they can ask you what to wear the next time they come to the range.

Next thread: "Dressing normal at the range is SO poser!"
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a white one that I like to wrap around my head when I'm reenact ing scenes from True Detective.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Douche accessory for non-mil folks.....ok for the mil too.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
OD green cravats FTW!! (still have mine  somewhere)

I also still have a Longyi or 2 around:

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't wear one, but I would keep one in the BOB.  If not a Shemagh, then just a regular hand towel.  Some sort of handy cotton something-or-other.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They are handy to pack around...Good as a scarf, hankerchief, headwrap, bindle in case you decide to become a hobo... Toilet paper also if you're a hobo who has had all his stuff stolen and can't find leaves because he's in the artic...
View Quote
nothing worse than being a hobo in the artic that had all his crap stolen before he has to take a crap

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you even Tier 1 bro?

Actual legit wear, not being a doucher

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#25]
So how does one wrap their head in that thing?

Is there a Utube on how to wrap it?

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#26]
They look like a gangbanger's hankerchief or a chunk of a tablecloth.

When it gets dusty at the outdoor range (and I mean blowing sandstorm of hell red dust) the tatcicool ninjas all start to wear them.

I don't feel like cleaning fine dust out of every nook and cranny of my guns, so those days I stay at home and watch TV with my young wife.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Doucher scarf
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wear mine in the winter because it's warm, and since it's legit (got it from a dead hajji) it pisses off all the Arabic immigrants when I go downtown.
View Quote

Nothin like stickin it to the immigrants !!

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Gay. Unless you're like oconus.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#31]
There's one goofball in my office that will tie his into a complete facemask at his desk before he leaves for the day if it is exceptionally cold outside.
One day I swear he's going to get shot by the guards if he startles them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#32]
They're fucking lame, I don't care where you are.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of us probably have similar bringbacks.

And scarfs are for hipster fags
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on, now.  Hipster fags wearing shemahgs go in the same category.  Hipsters just irritate the shit out of me.  It's a sign of age.  I know.  

Then again, wearing a scarf with a wintercoat isn't just for hipsters.  If the purpose is to stay warm and not make a fashion statement.  

I guess that sums it up.  Scarves and shemahgs as fashion statements are for fags and hipsters.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on, now.  Hipster fags wearing shemahgs go in the same category.  Hipsters just irritate the shit out of me.  It's a sign of age.  I know.  

Then again, wearing a scarf with a wintercoat isn't just for hipsters.  If the purpose is to stay warm and not make a fashion statement.  

I guess that sums it up.  Scarves and shemahgs as fashion statements are for fags and hipsters.

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I can tell you the last two dust storms to hit my base this week have convinced me to get one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for clearing that up.  I was just wondering what you thought of them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, aren't you a hoopty frood.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because scarves don't convert into hats.

Haters gonna hate, but mine's kept me warm in sub zero conditions enough times to warrant having it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Buff headgear work for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I have one but only wore it in sandstorms and a few times around the neck with some dirty canal water. There is only one time I have worn one in conus, and it was at the bundy ranch and I'm happy as hell I brought it cause I hate picking dirt boogers out of my nose... those aren't fun to eat, too much grit. Plus it was dark so only a few people saw me in such a shameful condition.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[/img]

ETA2: If anyone knows of a source of neon/hunters orange shemaghs, let me know.

View Quote

This, as I wore one this last year hunting, it did better keeping my kneck and head warm than kneck gator and hoods, also felt I could hear better.

Edit:

Found one! http://www.amazon.com/Mato-Hash-Military-Shemagh-Tactical/dp/B00G6OVL2U
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can tell you the last two dust storms to hit my base this week have convinced me to get one.
View Quote

Did they not issue you one of these? Serious question. I was under the impression that the military had coyote brown issued balaclavas.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Fap rag, tier 1
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they not issue you one of these?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jpg

Dat skeleton nose.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Looking at pics from Nevada, training pics, etc, and then seeing two guys at an indoor range wearing these things, I have come to the conclusion that I am not  badass, tacticool, tier anything and destined to be dusted first in any engagement.  

I just ain't got the right stuff to wear, man.  

View Quote
Indoor range.

I wear them in the winter time to keep brass out of my shirt and my neck from being cold.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't own any scarves. Got a couple of keffiyeh over there becade WTF why not... One morning its fucking 18 degrees and the wind is howling down the neck of my jacket...

Ta-dah!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I spent more time in the middle east than I care to remember and even in 2003 we still clowned on people still wearing shemaghs and pakool hats in theater that was sooo 2001 and only the real deal wore that shit to try to blend in while running around some mountainside in Afganistan. Now all these years later I see tons of goofballs wearing those softshell jackets with gay ass morale patches all over them and a fucking shemagh.  NONE of them served in the military and they have more shit on them than any SF guy I ever saw.  If they wanted to emulate real "Operators" they would wear normal looking shit, not Condor garbage which barely stands up to a few washings.  

View Quote

<--- I literally just posted a pic of me in a condor shell and a Shemahg.

DO YOU EVEN OPERATE BRO.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I wear one in the winter to help keep warm when riding my bike, and in the summer to keep cool, I just wet it down with cold water and its like AC all day long.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weekly.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top