Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
8 weeks. Worked at a software company whose owners knew fuck-all about making software. Or doing business. Or being decent people. Their business plan was "bid on every state contract because we're a minority- and woman-owned small business".

Also, the "CEO" and the "CFO, VP of Products, and VP of Projects" were a couple and he spent all his time being a textbook narcissist and telling her how stupid she was; she spent all her time being a sociopath, manipulating him, and talking shit about him to customers.

I was technically fired when I was called at 12:48pm on a Saturday and told I had to deliver a RFP for a State contract by 1:00p...while I was in a car 30 minutes from my house and 25 minutes from the office. I laughed and said no. I also got unemployment from the State (yes, after eight weeks) because of how fucked up and stupid these clowns were, even though they appealed the decision to the State Unemployment board twice.

They then stole the money I was paying for COBRA for the next seven weeks until I started getting insurance through my new company.

Good times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Three 3 hour shifts.  Rax, a roast beef fast food chain.
Sucked terribly, the teenage workers were idiots. I could make more at the job I left 5 months before so I went back.
I have been there 36 years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
7-8 months.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Two months delivering food for US Foods. The boss sucked so I told him to go eat a bowl and dicks and quit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 min
View Quote
Ha!

You've got me beat:

I thought 6 business days would be a 'winner" for shortest!

Supervisor did not like having an employee with higher education and experience than
him, so he fired me without cause.

"I don't like the process." is NO REASON TO FIRE during a probation period.

Glad he did, because I was free to find a real kick-ass job after that!

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
2 months. Left when I had to explain to one of the other flight instructors why he couldn’t drink and fly and why he actually had to put gas in the airplane. He got pissed because I made him late to a party he was flying to, his drinking buddy the assistant chief got pissed because now his drinking buddy was pissed. I packed up my shit and left. Never regretted that decision.

Best part was later when the FBI indicted the school and management for Fraud.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
7 days

Had two interviews in a week after I moved to Iowa last year, took the first offer but after a week the second place called me with a much better offer.

Thems the breaks
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Epic Diving and Marine, the day after hurricane Katrina, to the day of Rita, however long that was.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Wackenhut/G4S....

Bunch of worthless cunts to start with, that exist by dragging good folks down to their level of chickenshit, shitting all over any and every employee, with their conflicting standards, and fucking over anyone that takes the truth to the client, or Fed regulating agency.

It took me 12 days to figure out, that the Harvard educated dipshits, lacked the leadership of a Cub scout Den, and simply wanted scapegoats with credentials, to drop their liability on.
I Hung out for 6 months expecting to find some sort of professionalism, and ended up transitioning to another Contractor that was worse.

The gutless twats in Minnesota and Wisconsin, that sucked and hung all over the NMC Dick were laughable dipshits...as Sconnies and Minnesota citiots mostly are. I and some others got spanked, for noticing the "Elite" were fuckstains...a Cross dressing transgender tinkerbell, former Marine admin puke, A gutless "SEAL" turned wannabe (when I called bullshit and exposed his punk ass) former Navy Yeoman, with deep ties to Steve Hornady that ended up fucking us all with his horse shit, Shit ammo, shit standards, cunt approach to the truth, willingness to lie like a BITCH, and no end of dickless Madison cunts on the admin side.
Getting gone from them was an education. I met some solid Jarheads and Doggy brothers along the way, but it was a damn long 18 Months, 72 hours at a week, resigned to be fired before walking away from protecting my own community from the dipshits.

Oh...and I walked off the job at 19, after I ended up dangling from the 5th floor Iron, when securing duct hangers of the Benton Harbor Hospital annex, in 40mph winds.
Dadgum Crane operator was the only Motherfucker with a clue, or paying attention. He gets a bottle of Brunello every Christmas, and has since 1987.
4 Months of walking beams in the wind off of the lake.  Call me stubborn...I'll counter with stupid.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
16 months.

Low pay, no raise, and although they told me the job might involve “up to 25% travel,” they didn’t tell me that it would be all at once.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
One day at my first and only restaurant job back in high school. Bussed tables all night, saw what the waitresses tipped me out, never came back. Fuck that noise!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
6 months, nothing wrong with the job just got a better offer somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Sears Plumbing Company back in the early 1980's. I never came back on the 2nd day except to bring them back their service van and tell them "No Thanks. Not for me!" . You made your salary with a 25% commission on everything you sold including labor and material. The first day I was there the guy training me was bragging how he ripped off little old ladies, charging them over $200-$250 to replace the ballcock and flapper in a toilet tank. Management was a big city yankee who could care less how you made the money, as long as you were a cut-throat pirate and brought back a sack of it at the end of each day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Early 80's: got hired on as a McDonald's assistant manager (trainee) at a store in D.C.

I was literally the only white man within blocks of the place.

I have never been made to feel more unwelcome. I lasted about 1 hour and 45 min.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the shortest I ever did was half a day.

Back when I was about 18 I got sent out through a temp agency to some sort of manufacturing place.

The mexican lady ahead of me on the line kept handing me the hot end of the part, after I was told repeatedly I was to get the other end, and by lunch I had had enough.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:24:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I was hired to work as a weekend jock at oldies station WAMS in Wilmington, Delaware, by the PD George Benson. Neat. Kewl.
But before I even started, Mr Benson left or was replaced.
The new PD, Bob Charger, called me up and told me not to come in....I was unhired.  I didn't sound old enough to play oldies.  WTF.
So does that put me in negative time?

I did make it as a copy writer for a news wire service for 3 days...by which point I got another, better offer.
Copy writer did sukk.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 1/2 Hours

I had a Journeyman's Electrician license at 17 and a Master's at 19 ( it was all test based back then...you just needed one recommendation and a passing score)
I took a summer job with Brown & Root while in college, on a Nuke Plant project, as a crew leader on a cable pulling and termination crew.  I was ignorant back then on what UNION meant.

I show up the first day, meet the three numb nuts on the crew, and get a page of prints with cable runs to be pulled.  We knock three short runs of control cables out before noon (three pulled and two terminated). These guys are bitching the whole time.

As I am finishing my lunch, the job super calls me over. I get a lecture about productivity.  It seem that we are to pull and terminate ONE RUN PER SHIFT, unless it is long or big, in which case it will take longer.

WTF? I've never been dressed down for doing too much work before.

I told them to keep their check for 4 hours and left.
View Quote
I've been doing union electrical work for the past 3 years and have never run into anything close to that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Got hired to drive a school bus many years ago.

Spent 4 hours riding alongside the trainer observing him drive.

Got behind the wheel for my turn and clipped another bus with the ass end of the one I was driving while making the initial pull out of the parking lot..  The owner handed me 50 dollars in cash and said "We can't keep you, lets just all pretend this never happened."
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Delivered pizza for about 3 months while I was waiting for my DEP date to roll around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Delivered pizza for about 3 months while I was waiting for my DEP date to roll around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#22]
3 hours on my first job, 45 years on my last.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Gun shop. 5 months.

Fuck that place. Fuck the scumbag owner. Hope he and his brother continue to rot in jail / prison indefinitely.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#24]
2 days when in high school
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#25]
2days
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Less than two weeks. It was a sales job selling building materials. I did the exact same job at a different company for 8 years. It was a commission position. I averaged 2 million in sales for 6 out of the 8 years. The company eliminated commission which led to a 40% paycut so I quit.

At this new job I pretty much learned their computer system to generate orders and estimates. Visited job sites with a different salesperson to get a feel for what they they do differently. On day 3-4 they gave me a new cell phone and email account and I was hit pretty much all my leads and started to generate quotes and orders. I didn't sell much my first week, and by Wednesday of the following week they fired me because I didn't sell enough. During the hiring process they did not specify any goals or quotas that I have to reach.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Many years ago, I went to work in a Zenith TV factory building the bases for console TVs.

I went in the first day, got off for lunch...and never went back.

Took me 4 excruciatingly monotonous hours to figure out I wasn't cut out to work in a factory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:28:36 AM EDT
[#28]
1 week at Radio Shack.  Didn’t make it through training.  3 weeks as a private investigator that did insurance fraud cases.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I worked for BASF (Badische Anilin und Soda Fabrik) for about 2.5 months. The company was great and the pay was good for the job I did.

But the job was unbearably mind numbing. I started with a group of 17 people, and by the time I quit only four of that group were left. The job- sit at a belt and watch Ibuprofen tablets as they pass  ("tablets", not "pills"  for fuck's sake- you would be corrected anytime you said "pills"). You were to sit there and pick out any "tablets" that were chipped, cracked, had bad print on them, or were otherwise imperfect. All day long, staring at the fucking belt.

I hated to quit so soon, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I tried.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Eight minutes. Day one I walked in, set down my lunch bag, supervisor showed me my schedule, it was full of 8 hour turnarounds, I told him I had already told him that I couldn't do those, he said he'd previously told me that that was part of the deal (he hadn't), I said he had not told me that, and then he puffed up and told me that that was just part of the job and I could take it or leave it, so I picked my lunch box back up and left.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I quit one before my start date.

I had to sign an agreement that would have, at least in theory, kept me from working for just about any other company on Long Island. Thought better about it and quit after having accepted and been given a start date.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#32]
6 months
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]
1 year. I was micromanaged beyond belief, and coming up on the one yeat mark, would not approve my vacation request.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Based off of the experiences written, and many of my own - to write that there are 'some' real shitbag operations out there would be absolutely incorrect.  There are very possibly more shitbag operations out there than there are sane and rational jobs.

I was given a job offer - after an interview - at the beginning of 2017 for a company location that I'm now pretty sure they new they were going to close down.  Of course, they didn't let ME know that.  It was pending a drug screening/test, so that took a couple of days.

Just as I left that 'successful' interview, where I had a job offer, I stopped at a different business that was on my way to the highway.  I was told I should hand them a resume, so I did.  Within a few days I had an interview, and within another day I had a job offer - which I accepted, and had to call the other company to tell them that I was offered a position that better suited my interests.

Within 5 months the entire operation of the initial job offer was shut down.  It's probably the only bullet I've ever dodged in as far as luck and financial situations go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#36]
One week.

Of course taking on a third job was idiotic in hindsight...
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]
2 years
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
About 2 years and nine months.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Since college, I worked at a plant that bottled water for 9 months, and my current company 25 years.

I did work for Hagan Daz ice-cream one summer when I was 16, they fired me and still owe me  weeks pay
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#40]
7 months
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#41]
3 hours. Very important safety details were left out during the hiring process.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#42]
6 weeks right after undergrad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Two weeks at a repo company.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Penn Central Railroad...........5 or 6 months..........they went bankrupt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#45]
26 years

Maybe the next one will work out
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#46]
About 90 minutes for me. It was a Bonanza steak house in my home town, late 70's. The first hour was basically orientation then the manager told me to start breaking lettuce for the salad bar and put it in a galvanized trash can. When i started out back to wash the can out he started yelling at me that we didn't have time for that, just do what I was told and nothing more. I looked at the pieces of brown lettuce stuck to the side of the can and the nasty liquid in the bottom of the can, looked back at him then took off my hair net and walked out. I knew right then that food service was not a place for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I was hired and fired three times on my first day at a job, so one day. I oversold myself on my first job as a carpenter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#49]
2- 1/2 days . Humped concrete blocks . It was advertised as construction and it was.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#50]
About 45 mins. Showed up filled out the paperwork, took the tour. When they showed me the man lift I would be using it had a ladder in it. I asked why the ladder in the lift? Was told that was to reach the really high lights above the lifts max height. I just turned and walked away.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top