Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few but they are my least used arms

Generally I only use one a few times a year for sporting clays

I just dont care for them that much
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think they suck but there are better options.

While I would prefer my 11.5" AR pistol, I wouldn't have an issue defending my home with my Benelli M3 and buckshot or slugs.  

In reality the most likely scenario for me would probably be using my G19 because it's always on me or within reach.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve put dicks in with dirt with a far amount of rapidity with 5.56.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A shotgun is much better

I’ve put dicks in with dirt with a far amount of rapidity with 5.56.

Me too but there was a reason we were trained to shoot them to the ground. I have never seen single shots of 556 as consistently effective as single shots from a 12 gauge
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Benelli M2 with 10 round tube. I'd prefer a rifle but in a hallway I wouldn't feel too undergunned.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thats because people dont die unless they feel like it.

Ive seen people hit with 30mm keep fighting, and a dude who shot himself in the foot with a Makarov fall over and die.

People are weird, keep shooting them until they stop, with whatever it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there was a reason we were trained to shoot them to the ground.

Ive seen people hit with 30mm keep fighting, and a dude who shot himself in the foot with a Makarov fall over and die.

Agreed, but a shotgun does that quicker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
They don’t suck but there are often better choices available for home defense.

The video makes some valid points, most of which are mitigated by proper training and meaningful practice (LIKE ANY FIREARM).

My biggest concerns for a shotgun as a primary home defense weapon are the often low magazine capacity. Even “extended mag tubes” usually bring the total available rounds to 10 or less. Who would choose a full size handgun or defensive rifle limited to 10 rounds?

AND the slow to reload manual of arms.

In addition, shot spread at distance and the inherent risk those errant pellets present (particularly with Buckshot). “Flyers” are not uncommon with Buck.  

Still, shotguns play a role in our household defense plan.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Me too but there was a reason we were trained to shoot them to the ground. I have never seen single shots of 556 as consistently effective as single shots from a 12 gauge
View Quote

And I’ve driven people to the hospital who have taken hits from a shotgun and lived.

It’s not a magic death ray.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
10 round box fed semi automatic shotguns have a place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And I’ve driven people to the hospital who have taken hits from a shotgun and lived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. It is still much more effective than 556. I've used both. I don't have anything against 556. But the notion that it's more effective shot for shot than a 12 gauge is retarded.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Shotguns are great until they run dry. Reloading them sucks. It’s a compromise (and most mag Fed shotguns do in fact suck).

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Where’s the video of that cop taking the guy out at like 30 yds with buck?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I don’t have the gunfight experience that some of you fellas have. But I have killed more deer than most folks. Well over 100. Closing in on 200 actually.

I’ve killed them with everything from longbows, handguns, shotguns, flintlocks, and center fire rifles. It is commonly accepted that whitetails are way more durable than humans.

Based on tracking… a good shot on a deer, the track distance from impact to dead deer…I will take an expanding 5.56 round vs a 12 gauge slug or buckshot all day long. And the precision and speed of a rifle vs 12 gauge on follow up shots isn’t even close.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t have the gunfight experience that some of you fellas have. But I have killed more deer than most folks. Well over 100. Closing in on 200 actually.

I’ve killed them with everything from longbows, handguns, shotguns, flintlocks, and center fire rifles. It is commonly accepted that whitetails are way more durable than humans.

Based on tracking… a good shot on a deer, the track distance from impact to dead deer…I will take an expanding 5.56 round vs a 12 gauge slug or buckshot all day long. And the precision and speed of a rifle vs 12 gauge on follow up shots isn’t even close.
View Quote

So you have experience with precision and speed while someone is shooting at you, while being aware of your surroundings and what's beyond the home invader?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]
What if you have a Mossberg 835 with an 18" barrel loaded with 18 pellet 3.5" 00 buck? Just asking because I'm pretty sure it will do great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think that statement requires some explanation. What was the gauge, load and situation. The seems like a bullshit statement. On the other side of your statement might be to name someone who took a 12 gauge slug to the chest with or without armor, probably in a breaching situation and what we're the results. Home invasions seem to be getting more popular and this would be a likely hone defense situation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They don't suck but there are often better choices available for home defense.

The video makes some valid points, most of which are mitigated by proper training and meaningful practice (LIKE ANY FIREARM).

My biggest concerns for a shotgun as a primary home defense weapon are the often low magazine capacity. Even "extended mag tubes" usually bring the total available rounds to 10 or less. Who would choose a full size handgun or defensive rifle limited to 10 rounds?

AND the slow to reload manual of arms.

In addition, shot spread at distance and the inherent risk those errant pellets present (particularly with Buckshot). "Flyers" are not uncommon with Buck.  

Still, shotguns play a role in our household defense plan.
View Quote
How much spread do you figure will happen in a house? I suspect most people wouldn't have a target past 50 feet and most likely under 30 feet. That isn't a whole lot of distance to spread out too far.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
10 round box fed semi automatic shotguns have a place.
View Quote

Absolutely. I love my Saiga clone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Boy, sounds like a bunch of home invasions being carried out by battalions of gang bangers wearing body armor are going on in GD.
Some of you spend way too much time pondering highly improbable possibilities.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Boy, sounds like a bunch of home invasions being carried out by battalions of gang bangers wearing body armor are going on in GD.
View Quote

I'm working on armoring the roof of my house against meteors. You know, just in case.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Rifles can hurt unintended in the house and across the street.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a few but they are my least used arms

Generally I only use one a few times a year for sporting clays

I just dont care for them that much
View Quote

I’m more confident with a shotgun than any other weapon ..80% of my lifetime of shooting has been behind a 12 gauge
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm working on armoring the roof of my house against meteors. You know, just in case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we talking nickel/iron meteors or stony? There’s a difference and we have to be prepared.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew a dude that took a halberd to the head and survived. Just a few stitches but it may have induced dain bramage as he just kind of disappeared from the social circle not too long after that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]

how do you like the streamlight?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Rifles can hurt unintended in the house and across the street.
View Quote

You live too close to the street.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MAC is a hack
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The war I train for is....different.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You're actually retarded if you think a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 or #4 buck "sucks" for home defense. It's a great weapon, an AR15 is just better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, there’s no gangbangers?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]
nevermind
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Shotguns are my favorite firearm type.

If you load a shotgun with #4 buck, and mag dump it, you are putting over 200 .24 caliber projectiles into the universe in a matter of seconds. It's kind of amazing.

And then right after that, you can switch to a different ammo and go duck hunting with the SAME gun the next day.

Then turkey season comes up, no worries SAME GUN.

Uh-oh,  deer season is in. Better grab the SAME GUN.

Damn the coyotes are in the yard again. Better get the varmint gun. But guess what, the varmint gun IS ALSO YOUR SHOTGUN.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They don't suck for home defense.  Rifles are just better.
View Quote

When you miss and the .556 round you just fired ends up in your neighbors house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't own a shotgun... yet
View Quote

Who are you people?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Slugs > body armor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When you miss and the .556 round you just fired ends up in your neighbors house.
View Quote

Almost anything that will reliably kill a person is going through a lot of walls if you miss.

5.56, 12 gauge, and 9mm vs drywall in slow motion

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#37]
why would anybody take advice from this douche bag?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So, there’s no gangbangers?
View Quote

Americans are different physically, culturally and therefore mentally than Afghans. If you don't believe that, then visit Afghanistan. An individuals motivation and determination is pretty important during a fight. An ideologically driven insurgent is different than a for profit thief (even though the two are not always mutually exclusive.) If you have already been there, then there is no point in discussing this further.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you load a shotgun with #4 buck, and mag dump it, you are putting over 200 .24 caliber projectiles into the universe in a matter of seconds. It's kind of amazing.

And then right after that, you can switch to a different ammo and go duck hunting with the SAME gun the next day.

Damn the coyotes are in the yard again. Better get the varmint gun. But guess what, the varmint gun IS ALSO YOUR SHOTGUN.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think that statement requires some explanation. What was the gauge, load and situation. The seems like a bullshit statement. On the other side of your statement might be to name someone who took a 12 gauge slug to the chest with or without armor, probably in a breaching situation and what we're the results. Home invasions seem to be getting more popular and this would be a likely hone defense situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. To throw that statement out there but not include details is kinda pointless. The ammunition choice for the shotgun is a key detail. Buckshot or slug is different than birdshot. Federal flight control has been a big improvement for buckshot. I’m not saying someone can’t survive a buckshot or slug to the chest but let’s not act like a 5.56 will instantly put them down either. Yes, you can put a second round in faster with 5.56 but a shotgun can follow up with a second round also.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, it’s where you hit them, who is hit and less import what you hit them with
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

But Honey, I REALLY need to buy us both Full on MOPP4 outfits + Self Contained Air Units - Just in case those home invaders try to roll in some canisters of CN-20 to gas us out ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed that the Shotgun can be THE most versatile gun for a wide variety of uses.  If the I could only have ONE gun ...

But for just from experience - when it comes to Self Defense & Hunting - I'd stay away from #4 - it can have difficulty with deep enough penetration - I use #1, #00 #0 which all give excellent terminal results.  I can understand if you want it for less penetration, but only projectiles that reach deep enough to reach the vitals really matter.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#44]
“There is something better than a shotgun for home defense”

The first “REEEEE” inducing comment in gun discussions, ever.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why have 8 shots when you can have 18 or 30?
View Quote

8 boolits in each 00 2 3/4"  shell.  8 x 8 = 64 boolits in my 8 shots.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I cannot remember who said it, but it was sort of epiphany when I heard it.  Think of a shotgun sort of like a SMG that fires 8 bursts of 9 (or 15 if using number 1B) rounds with each pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I cannot remember who said it, but it was sort of epiphany when I heard it.  Think of a shotgun sort of like a SMG that fires 8 bursts of 9 (or 15 if using number 1B) rounds with each pull of the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The damage they do is screaming fucking gothic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

After the SLA shootout in Cali, one of the law enforcement agencies did a test where they fired a rifle and a shotgun at a mocked up window to see the coverage vs time of  clearing the opening with projectiles and the shotgun produced the broadest coverage and most projectiles into the opening in the quickest time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure if I shoot an intruder with a 12 ga. and use 00 buck, the intruder is going to have a real bad day.
View Quote

this!!! federal 00 buck with flute wad ??
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
AR’s are better, but a shotgun will fuck your day up in a big way. People argue 5.56/7.62x39 and 9mm/45ACP stopping power. A shotgun laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu6XgtS02w
View Quote

ouch!!!
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top