User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shotguns are my favorite firearm type.

If you load a shotgun with #4 buck, and mag dump it, you are putting over 200 .24 caliber projectiles into the universe in a matter of seconds. It's kind of amazing.

And then right after that, you can switch to a different ammo and go duck hunting with the SAME gun the next day.

Then turkey season comes up, no worries SAME GUN.

Uh-oh,  deer season is in. Better grab the SAME GUN.

Damn the coyotes are in the yard again. Better get the varmint gun. But guess what, the varmint gun IS ALSO YOUR SHOTGUN.
View Quote

That was an awesome concept.....in 1873
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I know when I want advice I always turn to a youtuber who can't shoot a handgun worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQEEFwsCIg

I disagree..shotguns are one of the most versatile weapons out there…I’ll never be without one
View Quote

MAC posted that to get more hits for his failing webcast.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know when I want advice I always turn to a youtuber who can't shoot a handgun worth a fuck.
View Quote

That got a real laugh out of me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You know somebody is farming pure truth when they tell you that chambering a round is going to give away your position.

That person has clearly done a careful and thoughtful exploration of actual data on defensive use of firearms inside the home and has discovered what's really important.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don’t have the gunfight experience that some of you fellas have. But I have killed more deer than most folks. Well over 100. Closing in on 200 actually.

I’ve killed them with everything from longbows, handguns, shotguns, flintlocks, and center fire rifles. It is commonly accepted that whitetails are way more durable than humans.

Based on tracking… a good shot on a deer, the track distance from impact to dead deer…I will take an expanding 5.56 round vs a 12 gauge slug or buckshot all day long. And the precision and speed of a rifle vs 12 gauge on follow up shots isn’t even close.
View Quote

I've only killed a handful of deer. All were neck shot with a slug. There was no tracking involved, just just fall down right there dead.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've only killed a handful of deer. All were neck shot with a slug. There was no tracking involved, just just fall down right there dead.
View Quote

I don't doubt it. I avoid a neck shot if possible, because it is either DRT or a wounded animal. But a heavy slug to the neck (spinal cord) is pretty effective.

But send that slug through the meaty part of a deer's neck and you have trouble. A good percentage of the time they will drop like they are dead, and jump up in a minute or so and take off like a scalded cat. We are getting a bit off track, but folks who claim all neck shots...or worse, all head shots....are usually full of shit. No matter what you are shooting, send it through the high percentage area....shoulder/heart/lungs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Americans are different physically, culturally and therefore mentally than Afghans. If you don't believe that, then visit Afghanistan. An individuals motivation and determination is pretty important during a fight. An ideologically driven insurgent is different than a for profit thief (even though the two are not always mutually exclusive.) If you have already been there, then there is no point in discussing this further.
View Quote

Afghans are invading your home with body armor? Or without?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Americans are different physically, culturally and therefore mentally than Afghans. If you don't believe that, then visit Afghanistan. An individuals motivation and determination is pretty important during a fight. An ideologically driven insurgent is different than a for profit thief (even though the two are not always mutually exclusive.) If you have already been there, then there is no point in discussing this further.

It's about 50:50

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolute nonsense.  That is just MAC being MAC.

I'd have no problems with running a pump or semi-auto for HD.  If they want me they have to get through the fatal funnel bedroom door.  I'll be behind the bed with a 1301 loaded with slugs.  

The cat can have whatever is left.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the terrain.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Shotguns are great...for the one gun, gun owner. By changing ammo they can be used for almost anything a gun can be used for.

But if you're going to buy a second gun it's time to buy things based on your intended purpose.
And "Because I want one" is a perfectly good purpose in my book. No explanation needed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Depends on the terrain.
View Quote

I don’t blame them, I wouldn’t want to tote body armor uphill either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't doubt it. I avoid a neck shot if possible, because it is either DRT or a wounded animal. But a heavy slug to the neck (spinal cord) is pretty effective.

But send that slug through the meaty part of a deer's neck and you have trouble. A good percentage of the time they will drop like they are dead, and jump up in a minute or so and take off like a scalded cat. We are getting a bit off track, but folks who claim all neck shots...or worse, all head shots....are usually full of shit. No matter what you are shooting, send it through the high percentage area....shoulder/heart/lungs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a valid reason, I'm colorblind, I can't follow a blood trail.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you load a shotgun with #4 buck, and mag dump it, you are putting over 200 .24 caliber projectiles into the universe in a matter of seconds. It's kind of amazing.

And then right after that, you can switch to a different ammo and go duck hunting with the SAME gun the next day.

Damn the coyotes are in the yard again. Better get the varmint gun. But guess what, the varmint gun IS ALSO YOUR SHOTGUN.
View Quote

I was reading this in Dwights voice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depends on the terrain.
View Quote

Okay you're trying to hard, just stop.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the terrain.

Basically, I am trying to get a mathematical perspective on the threats I am most likely to face, and how effective the particular options are.   If, when dealing with 3 or less attackers, the shotgun is as effective, or only slightly less effective, I have better places to put a grand right now.  If not, I want to see the math.  That's all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno...it's still pretty cool that you can shoot birds, hunt deer, throw lines and defend yourself with one gun. They are pretty adaptable.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Basically, I am trying to get a mathematical perspective on the threats I am most likely to face, and how effective the particular options are.   If, when dealing with 3 or less attackers, the shotgun is as effective, or only slightly less effective, I have better places to put a grand right now.  If not, I want to see the math.  That's all.
View Quote

Well then if that's what you're talking about there seems to be an uptick in multiple person home invader attacks from the security camera footage that's posted on the internet. One case had seven people kick the door in and rush the occupants.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why would anybody take advice from this douche bag?
View Quote

Reading some of the replies I'm not sure if you're talking about MAC or Arfcom members...
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sun color is most important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the terrain.

Sun color is most important.

Out of all of this I miss Afgahnman the most :(
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty sure he fell off a plane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never, in all the buildings I've cleared, have I fallen off a plane.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or did the portal open and he got sucked into the Hitlerverse. Geesemen and bears and shit. Oh my!
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Still is today
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Shotguns are superior because they're easier to toe load.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever tried to load an M1 with your penis?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once.

You thought Garand Thumb was bad.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Once.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once.

If it ain't precision, it's a circumcision.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Better than a stick
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty sure infantry isn't issued shotguns due to international treaties.
View Quote

Bullshit
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#34]
These threads really bring out the morons in the gun community...

556 vs 12 gauge under 20 yards is the absolute definition of retarded... Most of you dont even realize why you think the way you do, and its comical.. Most of you probably have never killed anything with either and rely on "facts" on the internet and just puke your "knowledge" all over these threads... I dare say most of you that are against a shotgun are just flat out pussies who would rather pull their finger a few extra times to avoid recoil... The fact of the matter is, a 12 gauge round, be it slug or shot delivers a much larger and lethal payload per shot (excluding bird shot)... There is a reason why you never hear of a home invasion were some dude fights off 25 bag guys like a bad 90s action movie, Nor would you the average idiot be able to fend off 25, let alone 5 armed people at once... Your using a scenario that will never exist to justify things you dont "need"... And this is the issue... After the AWB, people have been (and rightfully so) trying to make the AR15, (and the 556) into a common use, solves every problem sorta thing and it worked... Too well, because you now have idiots in our own community trying to compare 556 to 12 gauge in home defense situations, hell we even had one moron here asking why its ok to shot a elk with a bow, yet not a 223/556... Think about that....It worked, and dont get me wrong Im not mad about it, hell I'll shout off the roof tops that a AR15 is better for everything under the sun just to make sure they dont get banned again, but deep down I know that inside 15 yards, Shotgun still wins..
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

556 vs 12 gauge under 20 yards is the absolute definition of retarded... Most of you dont even realize why you think the way you do, and its comical.. Most of you probably have never killed anything with either and rely on "facts" on the internet and just puke your "knowledge" all over these threads... I dare say most of you that are against a shotgun are just flat out pussies who would rather pull their finger a few extra times to avoid recoil... The fact of the matter is, a 12 gauge round, be it slug or shot delivers a much larger and lethal payload per shot (excluding bird shot)... There is a reason why you never hear of a home invasion were some dude fights off 25 bag guys like a bad 90s action movie, Nor would you the average idiot be able to fend off 25, let alone 5 armed people at once... Your using a scenario that will never exist to justify things you dont "need"... And this is the issue... After the AWB, people have been (and rightfully so) trying to make the AR15, (and the 556) into a common use, solves every problem sorta thing and it worked... Too well, because you now have idiots in our own community trying to compare 556 to 12 gauge in home defense situations, hell we even had one moron here asking why its ok to shot a elk with a bow, yet not a 223/556... Think about that....It worked, and dont get me wrong Im not mad about it, hell I'll shout off the roof tops that a AR15 is better for everything under the sun just to make sure they dont get banned again, but deep down I know that inside 15 yards, Shotgun still wins..
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This has neva been dun b4
View Quote

This shit was old 18 years ago.
In order

SBR
Rifle
PCC
Combat shotgun
Pistol
Hunting shotgun
Sword
Bat/club
Knife
Pointy stick
Rape whistle
Bad gas
Mean words
Curling into a ball

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure infantry isn't issued shotguns due to international treaties.

Bullshit

While buckshot is preferable, birdshot should never be underestimated. Some will say that it just causes "superficial flesh wounds," but many a man has died to birdshot. If not from the GSW, then from infection. If the docs don't get out every single bead, assuming they're using lead, you could be looking at a case of gangrene. Nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Argue with me... Fuck your meme... lets do this..
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not use both?

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How much spread do you figure will happen in a house? I suspect most people wouldn't have a target past 50 feet and most likely under 30 feet. That isn't a whole lot of distance to spread out too far.
View Quote

Modern housing and open concepts can easily make for long shots. Shot spreads fast
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I want to know what is the largest size buckshot that would not penetrate the exterior walls of my neighbor's house about 100 yards away, after a) exiting through the walls of my house if fired indoors in their direction, or b) fired directly at their house from 100 yards away.

That would be my #1 motivation in using a shotgun: I would know what is a safe direction in terms of where my family is in my house, but working out what is in the long distance behind the bad guy in a stressful situation would be hard.

I figure #4 buck at the least is going to be neighbor friendly and I'm wondering if I can go up to #1 buck or even 00.

ETA, the assumption here is it's night and they are inside their home, probably sleeping.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why not use both?

https://i.imgur.com/krgkRcP.jpg
View Quote

hey, if they made a mini14 in with a 9 round burst, I would have to choose that over a shotgun, or AR15... Hell you would kill the intruder, 4 neighbors, a mailman, garbage man, 2 dogs and the pope per trigger pull..
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQEEFwsCIg

I disagree..shotguns are one of the most versatile weapons out there…I’ll never be without one
View Quote
So ... after watching the video.

Um. The things he said aside from slow loading and the obvious "when the range is enough that it's large than man sized spread" (shooting the back door from the front door??!?) ... aren't shotgun specific.

I guess if you have to fill the airtime...
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why not use both?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not use both?

I use one of those to make headshots all the time

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Meh. Right distance and right load, they are devastating.
They are also very limited on mag capacity, range, and yes Metilda, you can miss. They also have heavy recoil.
Not useless, but not a first choice either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sorry. 12 gauge with 00 Federal Flight Control low recoil is a superior round to any rifle or handgun you’d use for home defense. Sure a PS90 with 50 rounds is nice for round count … 7 rounds in my shotgun with 9 pellet 00 buck is actually 63 rounds at a bad guy with only 7 trigger pulls. .
View Quote

been waiting on someone to say this.
7 holes in a target with one shot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Argue with me... Fuck your meme... lets do this..
View Quote

LOL....you lost me in your rambling diatribe when you claimed most of us had "never killed anything with either", and are "pussies afraid of recoil."

I honestly can't even guess at how many rounds I have fired or how many critters I have killed with a 12 gauge. I used to burn through a case of 12 gauge ammo a month. A 12 gauge doesn't intimidate me at all.

Nobody would argue that a 12 gauge slug , 00, or #4 buck is pretty effective. If that's what you want to use, go ahead. I don't care.

But at least be honest in the conversation. The recoil of a shotgun exists, whether you think I'm a pussy or not (and I don't give a fiddlers fuck if you do). An AR is superior in recoil control. An AR is superior when it comes to reloading. Ergonomics. Reliability. Accuracy. Should I go on?

The funniest thing shotgun guys preach is "versatility". Horse Shit. Beyond 30 yards and your buckshot effectiveness diminishes bigly. Slugs can be accurate, but a fighting shotgun isn't a designated slug/deer gun, is it? I live in the middle of nowhere. The Sherriff won't get here until rigor mortis starts to set in. If something stupid happens, I'm on my own. 8 shots in a shotgun, or an AR with a pile of magazines? It's a pretty simple answer.

If you think your only possible threat is 1 bad guy within 20 yards, I guess you have found what works for you. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL....you lost me in your rambling diatribe when you claimed most of us had "never killed anything with either", and are "pussies afraid of recoil."

I honestly can't even guess at how many rounds I have fired or how many critters I have killed with a 12 gauge. I used to burn through a case of 12 gauge ammo a month. A 12 gauge doesn't intimidate me at all.

Nobody would argue that a 12 gauge slug , 00, or #4 buck is pretty effective. If that's what you want to use, go ahead. I don't care.

But at least be honest in the conversation. The recoil of a shotgun exists, whether you think I'm a pussy or not (and I don't give a fiddlers fuck if you do). An AR is superior in recoil control. An AR is superior when it comes to reloading. Ergonomics. Reliability. Accuracy. Should I go on?

The funniest thing shotgun guys preach is "versatility". Horse Shit. Beyond 30 yards and your buckshot effectiveness diminishes bigly. Slugs can be accurate, but a fighting shotgun isn't a designated slug/deer gun, is it? I live in the middle of nowhere. The Sherriff won't get here until rigor mortis starts to set in. If something stupid happens, I'm on my own. 8 shots in a shotgun, or an AR with a pile of magazines? It's a pretty simple answer.

If you think your only possible threat is 1 bad guy within 20 yards, I guess you have found what works for you. Good luck
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Calling horseshit on the versatility of the shotgun seems short sighted.
What other gun can you shoot dove in the morning, deer in the afternoon, and assholes whenever required?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top