Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What does "inside your house" have to do with it, other than to validate your choice of weapon? I think you and I live in 2 different environments.

Why would I NOT have a good stash of magazines? I don't think I'll ever need them, but loading while dumb shit is happening is a pretty bad plan. I don't think my woodstove is ever going to burn my cabin down but I have a fire extinguisher sitting next to it. I don't expect to cut my leg with the chainsaw, but when I'm cutting firewood a throw a tourniquet in my pocket.

You might live in some awesomely safe, predictable place. I don't.
View Quote

It's in the thread title, this is a thread about "home defense" not fantasy land purge.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Modern housing and open concepts can easily make for long shots. Shot spreads fast
View Quote

Federal flight control solves that issue in a home. Unless your mansion has 100 yard long hallways I guess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Federal flight control solves that issue in a home. Unless your mansion has 100 yard long hallways I guess.
View Quote

5.56 solves that same problem cheaper, and is more available.

I can't remember the last time I've seen FCW for sale
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is he still around and kicking?
View Quote

I don't think Old_Painless is still on ARFCOM.

Signal to Noise Ratio o Ya' know...

but I "think" he's still up running around & shooting stuff.

Has his own website but not any recent comments.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/about-us/

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
He's around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think Old_Painless is still on ARFCOM.

Signal to Noise Ratio o Ya' know...

but I "think" he's still up running around & shooting stuff.

Has his own website but not any recent comments.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/about-us/

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Quoted:
He's around.
View Quote

Glad to hear it.

Love the box o' truth.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]

What kind of shotgun is that?

Is it 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge, or 28gauge?

What choke do you run: full, modified, improved, other?

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because trying to use one tool for everything....when you don't have to, is dumb. I own shotguns a'plenty. The 3 events you describe are best served by 3 different guns.

If a carpenter shows up with just a Leatherman tool I'm going to send him home.
View Quote

But if you HAD to, the shotgun is best qualified tool to do multiple jobs. Self-defense indicates that the engagement is close and when it's close the shotgun is King. If you are shooting 40 yards at a human, or far enough you need your AR, the chances are good you will be gifted with murder charges.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The racking sound is terrifying to burglars.
View Quote

Honestly, today's burglars are so stupid, that I've often wondered if they would even know what the racking sound of a shotgun was.

I had a liberal Houston neighbor (doesn't believe in guns) who had two young skinny 6'4" inner-city morons break into his townhouse and stare at him & his wife through their bedroom glass panel door. The morons ran out of the house leaving a trail of coins from the piggie bank they stole, jumping over the 6' brick gate like rabbits, and hop to the apartments across the street where they lived. Many thieves thankfully do NOT carry weapons except a knife or a hammer, and proly wouldn't recognize a shogun racking sound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Modern housing and open concepts can easily make for long shots. Shot spreads fast
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much spread do you figure will happen in a house? I suspect most people wouldn't have a target past 50 feet and most likely under 30 feet. That isn't a whole lot of distance to spread out too far.

Federal Flite Control

Not trying to argue one way or another on the main topic, but you’d need a pretty giant house to worry about excessive shot spread with Flite control wads,
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does yours not?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL....you lost me in your rambling diatribe when you claimed most of us had "never killed anything with either", and are "pussies afraid of recoil."

I honestly can't even guess at how many rounds I have fired or how many critters I have killed with a 12 gauge. I used to burn through a case of 12 gauge ammo a month. A 12 gauge doesn't intimidate me at all.

Nobody would argue that a 12 gauge slug , 00, or #4 buck is pretty effective. If that's what you want to use, go ahead. I don't care.

But at least be honest in the conversation. The recoil of a shotgun exists, whether you think I'm a pussy or not (and I don't give a fiddlers fuck if you do). An AR is superior in recoil control. An AR is superior when it comes to reloading. Ergonomics. Reliability. Accuracy. Should I go on?

The funniest thing shotgun guys preach is "versatility". Horse Shit. Beyond 30 yards and your buckshot effectiveness diminishes bigly. Slugs can be accurate, but a fighting shotgun isn't a designated slug/deer gun, is it? I live in the middle of nowhere. The Sherriff won't get here until rigor mortis starts to set in. If something stupid happens, I'm on my own. 8 shots in a shotgun, or an AR with a pile of magazines? It's a pretty simple answer.

If you think your only possible threat is 1 bad guy within 20 yards, I guess you have found what works for you. Good luck
View Quote

I don’t think recoil is an issue, first gun I ever shot was grandpa’s 870 wing master when I was 6 years old, I own it today (in a different configuration now).. I’ve never been bothered by recoil of a shotgun and barely notice it. The “beyond 30 yards” argument is somewhat invalid and I highly doubt it would be considered “home defense”..inside the house a 12 gauge is excellent ..nothing is getting down the hallway alive
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's in the thread title, this is a thread about "home defense" not fantasy land purge.
View Quote

I guess to some it’s one in the same lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

30 yards and beyond sounds more like a murder charge instead of a self defense victory.
View Quote

The concept that we only get to defend ourselves at 7 yards in our bedroom is flawed. It gets repeated so often that folks start to adapt their SD firearms to be useless beyond those ranges out of fear.

You realize some folks take their SD rifle from the bedroom to the barn, to the truck, etc.?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does "inside your house" have to do with it, other than to validate your choice of weapon? I think you and I live in 2 different environments.

Why would I NOT have a good stash of magazines? I don't think I'll ever need them, but loading while dumb shit is happening is a pretty bad plan. I don't think my woodstove is ever going to burn my cabin down but I have a fire extinguisher sitting next to it. I don't expect to cut my leg with the chainsaw, but when I'm cutting firewood a throw a tourniquet in my pocket.

You might live in some awesomely safe, predictable place. I don't.

My land is my "home". 173 acres behind me, and a 115 acre lake in front of me. No fantasy. Just the reality that ugliness might happen beyond my tiny bedroom.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Yet ANOTHER Idiot, who knows NOTHING about the shooting world!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
JUST this morning I came across 250 rounds of 00 buck I had ordered from SG a while back. Life is good.
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In stock
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#20]

At close range you may or may not kill them but you sure as hell going to take the fight out of them, especially if some of those pellets hits them in the face.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Remington tac 14 with 00 buck....not something I would want to get hit with.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My land is my "home". 173 acres behind me, and a 115 acre lake in front of me. No fantasy. Just the reality that ugliness might happen beyond my tiny bedroom.
View Quote

Cool, carry a rifle. But again this topic is home defense. Which generally means inside our home when we discuss this. Some of us don’t need a rifle to shoot at random people that roll up on our 173 acres and starts attacking us from 100 yards away without warning. I’m glad you prepare for the worst scenarios though. Keep doing what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's not calling bullshit on the shotgun's versatility. He's calling it on using versatility as a primary reason to employ one as a first choice home defense weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....you lost me in your rambling diatribe when you claimed most of us had "never killed anything with either", and are "pussies afraid of recoil."

I honestly can't even guess at how many rounds I have fired or how many critters I have killed with a 12 gauge. I used to burn through a case of 12 gauge ammo a month. A 12 gauge doesn't intimidate me at all.

Nobody would argue that a 12 gauge slug , 00, or #4 buck is pretty effective. If that's what you want to use, go ahead. I don't care.

But at least be honest in the conversation. The recoil of a shotgun exists, whether you think I'm a pussy or not (and I don't give a fiddlers fuck if you do). An AR is superior in recoil control. An AR is superior when it comes to reloading. Ergonomics. Reliability. Accuracy. Should I go on?

The funniest thing shotgun guys preach is "versatility". Horse Shit. Beyond 30 yards and your buckshot effectiveness diminishes bigly. Slugs can be accurate, but a fighting shotgun isn't a designated slug/deer gun, is it? I live in the middle of nowhere. The Sherriff won't get here until rigor mortis starts to set in. If something stupid happens, I'm on my own. 8 shots in a shotgun, or an AR with a pile of magazines? It's a pretty simple answer.

If you think your only possible threat is 1 bad guy within 20 yards, I guess you have found what works for you. Good luck

Calling horseshit on the versatility of the shotgun seems short sighted.
What other gun can you shoot dove in the morning, deer in the afternoon, and assholes whenever required?

He's not calling bullshit on the shotgun's versatility. He's calling it on using versatility as a primary reason to employ one as a first choice home defense weapon.

Ah! Ok.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]
One of the things I don’t like about 5.56 for inside structures is that not only is it high velocity but it fragments when it hits barrier like sheet rock and the fragments then go wildly off trajectory as they pass through.  And they do pass through.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cool, carry a rifle. But again this topic is home defense. Which generally means inside our home when we discuss this. Some of us don’t need a rifle to shoot at random people that roll up on our 173 acres and starts attacking us from 100 yards away without warning. I’m glad you prepare for the worst scenarios though. Keep doing what works for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even if we go with your Polly Anna version of life, aka "I just defend my bedroom".....an AR is still better than a shotgun. I'm sorry that you are so afraid.

This whole "beyond 30 yards is a murder charge" myth is driven by the same Karen bullshit that makes our country weaker every day. Bunch of girl-men cowering in their bedrooms.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Every GD shotgun thread:

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They don't suck for home defense.  Rifles are just better.
View Quote

This.  New tech doesn't make old tech less effective in absolute terms.  It just provides better options that make the old tech a less attractive choice in relative terms.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

No kidding
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.  New tech doesn't make old tech less effective in absolute terms.  It just provides better options that make the old tech a less attractive choice in relative terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They don't suck for home defense.  Rifles are just better.

Well said
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don’t have the gunfight experience that some of you fellas have. But I have killed more deer than most folks. Well over 100. Closing in on 200 actually.

I’ve killed them with everything from longbows, handguns, shotguns, flintlocks, and center fire rifles. It is commonly accepted that whitetails are way more durable than humans.

Based on tracking… a good shot on a deer, the track distance from impact to dead deer…I will take an expanding 5.56 round vs a 12 gauge slug or buckshot all day long. And the precision and speed of a rifle vs 12 gauge on follow up shots isn’t even close.
View Quote

How many whitetail have you shot with 00 buckshot from inside 10 yards though? Obviously agree with speed of follow up shots, but with a giant gaping hole in an intruders chest that wouldn't be a concern of mine.

I still use an AR for home defense as my wife is much more comfortable using one, and they are very effective in that role. Still, a shotgun at inside your home distances is the definition of devastating. I wouldn't be disappointed if that's all I had or could grab.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Throw in some D Dupleks slugs for some CQB razzle dazzle.
https://www.ddupleks.com/products
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

even if we go with your Polly Anna version of life, aka "I just defend my bedroom".....an AR is still better than a shotgun. I'm sorry that you are so afraid.

This whole "beyond 30 yards is a murder charge" myth is driven by the same Karen bullshit that makes our country weaker every day. Bunch of girl-men cowering in their bedrooms.
View Quote

Man, you just can’t accept that some things work better for others. Kinda sad. You should get outside more. Or just stay here and keep trying to force us to hold your opinion as the only one that matters
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How many whitetail have you shot with 00 buckshot from inside 10 yards though? Obviously agree with speed of follow up shots, but with a giant gaping hole in an intruders chest that wouldn't be a concern of mine.

I still use an AR for home defense as my wife is much more comfortable using one, and they are very effective in that role. Still, a shotgun at inside your home distances is the definition of devastating. I wouldn't be disappointed if that's all I had or could grab.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t have the gunfight experience that some of you fellas have. But I have killed more deer than most folks. Well over 100. Closing in on 200 actually.

I’ve killed them with everything from longbows, handguns, shotguns, flintlocks, and center fire rifles. It is commonly accepted that whitetails are way more durable than humans.

Based on tracking… a good shot on a deer, the track distance from impact to dead deer…I will take an expanding 5.56 round vs a 12 gauge slug or buckshot all day long. And the precision and speed of a rifle vs 12 gauge on follow up shots isn’t even close.

A few…. Maybe 5?

The most memorable was my first deer ever. Steven’s 311 side by side. Slug in one barrel, 00buck in the other. Shot was maybe 10 yards. No, I would not want to be shot with buckshot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Man, you just can’t accept that some things work better for others. Kinda sad. You should get outside more. Or just stay here and keep trying to force us to hold your opinion as the only one that matters
View Quote

LOL… if you knew anything about me, your “get outside more” comment would make you laugh as it is me. I’m typing this from an ice shanty, gathering up perch for supper.

Enjoy your safe room????
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL if you knew anything about me, your "get outside more" comment would make you laugh as it is me. I'm typing this from an ice shanty, gathering up perch for supper.

Enjoy your safe room
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, you just can't accept that some things work better for others. Kinda sad. You should get outside more. Or just stay here and keep trying to force us to hold your opinion as the only one that matters

LOL if you knew anything about me, your "get outside more" comment would make you laugh as it is me. I'm typing this from an ice shanty, gathering up perch for supper.

Enjoy your safe room
Do you have a screen door on that shanty? MEAT FROM BONE! RACK THE SLIDE! BLADE AT 45 DEGREES! ENGAGE WITH BIRDSHOT CUT SHELLS!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you have a screen door on that shanty? MEAT FROM BONE! RACK THE SLIDE! BLADE AT 45 DEGREES! ENGAGE WITH BIRDSHOT CUT SHELLS!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, you just can't accept that some things work better for others. Kinda sad. You should get outside more. Or just stay here and keep trying to force us to hold your opinion as the only one that matters

Enjoy your safe room

??????????????
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These threads really bring out the morons in the gun community...

556 vs 12 gauge under 20 yards is the absolute definition of retarded... Most of you dont even realize why you think the way you do, and its comical.. Most of you probably have never killed anything with either and rely on "facts" on the internet and just puke your "knowledge" all over these threads... I dare say most of you that are against a shotgun are just flat out pussies who would rather pull their finger a few extra times to avoid recoil... The fact of the matter is, a 12 gauge round, be it slug or shot delivers a much larger and lethal payload per shot (excluding bird shot)... There is a reason why you never hear of a home invasion were some dude fights off 25 bag guys like a bad 90s action movie, Nor would you the average idiot be able to fend off 25, let alone 5 armed people at once... Your using a scenario that will never exist to justify things you dont "need"... And this is the issue... After the AWB, people have been (and rightfully so) trying to make the AR15, (and the 556) into a common use, solves every problem sorta thing and it worked... Too well, because you now have idiots in our own community trying to compare 556 to 12 gauge in home defense situations, hell we even had one moron here asking why its ok to shot a elk with a bow, yet not a 223/556... Think about that....It worked, and dont get me wrong Im not mad about it, hell I'll shout off the roof tops that a AR15 is better for everything under the sun just to make sure they dont get banned again, but deep down I know that inside 15 yards, Shotgun still wins..
View Quote
You seem kind of mad though.

What are your thoughts on basically every Fed/Mil agency that does CQB for a living choosing short barrel 5.56 instead of shotguns?

Marketing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have yet to encounter anyone who says that "shotguns suck for home defense" who could shoot a shotgun well at all.
View Quote

I have yet to encounter someone who can shoot a shotgun well that doesn’t prefer a carbine.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The concept that we only get to defend ourselves at 7 yards in our bedroom is flawed. It gets repeated so often that folks start to adapt their SD firearms to be useless beyond those ranges out of fear.

You realize some folks take their SD rifle from the bedroom to the barn, to the truck, etc.?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 yards and beyond sounds more like a murder charge instead of a self defense victory.

When discussing HD we usually think inside the home. Realizing that different firearms will be used outside the home
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have yet to encounter someone who can shoot a shotgun well that doesn't prefer a carbine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have yet to encounter anyone who says that "shotguns suck for home defense" who could shoot a shotgun well at all.

I have yet to encounter someone who can shoot a shotgun well that doesn't prefer a carbine.

Shooting a shotgun "well" also needs some defining.

I've seen several "muh 100K rounds of trap and birds killed" guys fail miserably on combat shotgun quals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When discussing HD we usually think inside the home. Realizing that different firearms will be used outside the home
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe city bois think that way. Here in America we consider it "Property defense."
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've seen several "muh 100K rounds of trap and birds killed" guys fail miserably on combat shotgun quals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. The basics of shooting a shotgun well would include knowing your pattern sizes at various ranges. When to select slug and being able to do so under stress and quickly in daylight and darkness. Being able to keep the gun topped off while moving. For starters
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe city bois think that way. Here in America we consider it "Property defense."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

So if someone asks for home defense firearm recommendations your default is to think of farm or ranch defense firearms? You assume the person asking is not speaking clearly?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really?

So if someone asks for home defense firearm recommendations your default is to think of farm or ranch defense firearms? You assume the person asking is not speaking clearly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Yes, really.

No to the other two.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use my rifle to get me to my 40mm Bofors. I think that's how the saying goes in GD.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use my rifle to get me to my 40mm Bofors. I think that's how the saying goes in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have entirely different firearms for open carry, concealed carry, home defense, bear defense, SHTF, competition, hunting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I like my shotgun 590a1 SP but every time I use it at the range, I’m amazed how effective it is within distances under 40yards.

At the same time, I imagine how ineffective it can be for other situations and always find it lacking in some way.

GD cursed me years ago with “Why limit yourself?”

That struck a cord. But it is 100% correct.

AR is simply better. A shotgun will handle most home situations but why limit yourself?

An AR will do everything a shotgun will and more.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have entirely different firearms for open carry, concealed carry, home defense, bear defense, SHTF, competition, hunting.
View Quote
I use my 40mm bofors for all of those. I always win.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, enough clowning around from me with quotes from old threads of shotguns for home defense past. That was a fun trip down memory lane a massive amount of derp.

Shotguns contain significant raw power and yes, can, without a doubt, make bad people stop doing bad things. No I don't want to be shot with one.

The reality is most people will never deal with a home intruder. Further, the reality is the presence of any firearm of any type will help defuse a decent amount of home invasion situations so whether it's a shotgun, AR or single shot .22 derringer its pointless to argue.  

Where people get into trouble is when they cling to shotgun heritage and myth and respond defensively to any suggestion that better options for more dynamic situations exist.

We have 20 years of data of AR style weapons smoking the fuck out of people at close range and inside structures. The days of "poodle shooters" and "varmint rounds" and "shits where it eats " are over for anybody save the drooling retard mouthbreathers.

Shotguns serve a purpose. ARs serve MY purpose.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top