Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well those 'noises' also included her partner also screaming that he'd just been shot by the suspect that was in the back seat of car, which she had no reason to doubt. I absolutely do agree with their determination that she made the correct decision given the information she had at the time.
View Quote

Did she know he was still a threat?  Had he surrendered?  Or was she just providing suppressing fire?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently police cars shouldn't have tinted windows.That way idiot cops won't shoot blindly into the police cars because an acorn fell on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
So THIS is why we need to ban ghost guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have found plenty of weapons on people that were searched. Field searched isn't always a 100% weapon free.
View Quote

There was the video that went around a few years ago withe guy the offed himself in the interrogation room with the 1911 from his pants. Iirc at the time it was said he had been searched 3 times before that
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So THIS is why we need to ban ghost guns. acorns
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well those 'noises' also included her partner also screaming that he'd just been shot by the suspect that was in the back seat of car, which she had no reason to doubt. I absolutely do agree with their determination that she made the correct decision given the information she had at the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, even that comes back to exactly what I posted: shooting at noises.  

The difference is that the department's brass seems to think that shooting, mag-dumping really, is a reasonable response to a noise, and apparently you agree.

Did you take note that these LE professionals evidently can't proofread well enough to catch "interrupted" where they presumably meant to use "interpreted"?

Color me skeptical about their conclusions in general.

She didn't know her target. She shouldn't have shot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure she responded, but in arguably the worst way possible.

There was no target, so she just tried to kill someone, anyone (who? we don't even know) with no regard for the suspect in her custody or anyone else in the neighborhood.

I'd love to hear from her own mouth exactly who she was shooting at, and why she chose that person as her target (assuming she can even articulate that basic point).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Male cop should have never been one.

@smilingbandit Female cop responded to her officer claiming shots fired and officer down, I doubt others in her position would or should have acted different. He was, obviously, negligent beyond reason, but given what she understood, acted appropriately.
Sure she responded, but in arguably the worst way possible.

There was no target, so she just tried to kill someone, anyone (who? we don't even know) with no regard for the suspect in her custody or anyone else in the neighborhood.

I'd love to hear from her own mouth exactly who she was shooting at, and why she chose that person as her target (assuming she can even articulate that basic point).

Would it even matter? She could have just started firing at the first person she saw and it would be deemed "reasonable" that was the "shooter".
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There was the video that went around a few years ago withe guy the offed himself in the interrogation room with the 1911 from his pants. Iirc at the time it was said he had been searched 3 times before that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found plenty of weapons on people that were searched. Field searched isn't always a 100% weapon free.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Neither of us are police officers doing a policing job and dealing with armed suspects, so no, us shooting into a police car at a suspect we've detained naturally isn't going to be treated the same way. Had I been doing the same job and been in her shoes that morning, I probably would have come to the same conclusion as she did and done pretty much what she did.

She heard a weird bang sound, then turned to see her partner fall while screaming in panic that he's been shot and begin firing into the back of the patrol car at a suspect that had been known to possess a suppressed firearm a few hours earlier. Given the context of the event, I agree with the assessment she had a reasonable belief that a weapon had been missed during the patdown, and that there was a suspect in the back of the car that had just shot and disabled her partner and was actively trying to kill him. She had a couple seconds to come to a decision, and that's unfortunately a far more common and reasonable take than "my partner just randomly lost his marbles and is in a complete delusional breakdown right now".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the sake of argument let's assume they missed a suppressed pistol during the pat down. Somehow. Not really reasonable but whatever. Things happened fast for her.

But then they slowed down. She can say whatever she wants after the fact, but if you're going to try to take someone's life I'd argue you that morally speaking you need to know something beyond, "My partner just yelled."

She saw nothing, had no target, there was no threat to be seen or heard, etc etc. Obviously she beat the rap but no way you or me could walk away scot-free from mag dumping into an occupied patrol car based on an acorn falling and a buddy yelling that he's under fire.
Neither of us are police officers doing a policing job and dealing with armed suspects, so no, us shooting into a police car at a suspect we've detained naturally isn't going to be treated the same way. Had I been doing the same job and been in her shoes that morning, I probably would have come to the same conclusion as she did and done pretty much what she did.

She heard a weird bang sound, then turned to see her partner fall while screaming in panic that he's been shot and begin firing into the back of the patrol car at a suspect that had been known to possess a suppressed firearm a few hours earlier. Given the context of the event, I agree with the assessment she had a reasonable belief that a weapon had been missed during the patdown, and that there was a suspect in the back of the car that had just shot and disabled her partner and was actively trying to kill him. She had a couple seconds to come to a decision, and that's unfortunately a far more common and reasonable take than "my partner just randomly lost his marbles and is in a complete delusional breakdown right now".

With those kind of mental gymnastics, at least she will never have to actually work out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
This guy's putting himself on the line against murderous squirrels and you guys mock him.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did she know he was still a threat?  Had he surrendered?  Or was she just providing suppressing fire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every indication she had at the moment she fired was that she was in an active shootout with an armed suspect that was direct threat to her partner.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
thats messed up

I turned volume on PC as high as I could and didn't hear anything from him walking to shouting "shots fired"
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference is that the department's brass seems to think that shooting, mag-dumping really, is a reasonable response to a noise, and apparently you agree.

Did you take note that these LE professionals evidently can't proofread well enough to catch "interrupted" where they presumably meant to use "interpreted"?

She knew her target, which was an apparent armed suspect concealed behind tinted glass in the rear of the patrol car that her partner told her had just shot him and was still an active threat. That it turned out not to be the facts of the case is separate from what she reasonably knew at the time, given the circumstances. He fucked up tremendously, but she reacted appropriately to the information she had at hand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every indication she had at the moment she fired was that she was in an active shootout with an armed suspect that was direct threat to her partner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At my own private range the rules are know your target and what's beyond it. For the cops it's, "My buddy screwed up and I murdered someone I never even saw but it's ok because I believed my fuck-up buddy who heard an acorn fall or something."

These dopes are somehow held to a lower standard than a 10 yo with a 22lr at my place

Wonder if this woman would have been swiftly cleared if she lit up the police chief's kid in the exact same manner lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At my own private range the rules are know your target and what's beyond it. For the cops it's, "My buddy screwed up and I murdered someone I never even saw but it's ok because I believed my fuck-up buddy who heard an acorn fall or something."

These dopes are somehow held to a lower standard than a 10 yo with a 22lr at my place

Wonder if this woman would have been swiftly cleared if she lit up the police chief's kid in the exact same manner lol
View Quote

I know if I was told there was an active shooter threat I would abide all of my private shooting range rules. Hopefully I have a Range Safety Officer present to tell me if the range is hot or cold.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know if I was told there was an active shooter threat I would abide all of my private shooting range rules. Hopefully I have a Range Safety Officer present to tell me if the range is hot or cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol yep, if someone yells loudly you just gotta start blasting in a residential neighborhood. Ain't nobody got time for not murdering innocent people.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Commissioned SF officers don't go out on patrol?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No wonder he blew it up so fast

When asked about prior military experience, Deputy Hernandez said he attended West
Point, and was an infantry officer and an officer in special forces for the army for a total
of ten years. Deputy Hernandez said he had two combat rotations to Afghanistan, but
noted as an officer, he was not in direct combat

Commissioned SF officers don't go out on patrol?

Some dont go through selection and qualification before joining a unit.   Especially if theyre just doing administrative stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
They need to revisit the psych eval they are using.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So THIS is why we need to ban ghost guns.
View Quote

Acorn guns
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
She knew her target, which was an apparent armed suspect concealed behind tinted glass in the rear of the patrol car that her partner told her had just shot him and was still an active threat. That it turned out not to be the facts of the case is separate from what she reasonably knew at the time, given the circumstances. He fucked up tremendously, but she reacted appropriately to the information she had at hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So someone could have fell down, yelled they had been shot, pointed to Acorn, and she would have done the same?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/IMG_7892-3129572.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/IMG_7890-3129574.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/IMG_7891-3129576.jpg

Did they ask Sgt. Roberts why she didn't subdue Jesse after figuring out just how crazy his actions were?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read it all and I understand and agree with her thought process almost all the way...right up until we remember the facts: the poor sucker she's trying to kill is seated in her vehicle with his hands cuffed behind him. She wouldn't know cuz she never even saw him though.

"Oops, my bad. Next time maybe I'll double-check before I try to kill someone, just to make sure they actually did something wrong."

Obviously I'm looking at this from the standpoint that she gambled the facts would justify her reckless actions...and whoops, that's not what happened so there should be consequences. You're in the "reasonable belief" camp and that's fine too.

Either way her buddies cleared her of any wrongdoing
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your wife was rolling around on the ground yelling that she’s shot and shooting at a car in front of your house are you gonna wait and see if she makes it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd have to assume if a cop is great at his job you'll never hear about him, isn't that the point?

Shitty cops end up in the news and good cops get shot at by assholes because the shitty cops hurt people because they should be working at HomeDepot.
View Quote

Not even true.

Been clean from civil suits and internal investigations, but been in the news with some wild accusations.

A great cop will get into enough stuff to end up on the news.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I read it all and I understand and agree with her thought process almost all the way...right up until we remember the facts: the poor sucker she's trying to kill is seated in her vehicle with his hands cuffed behind him. She wouldn't know cuz she never even saw him though.

"Oops, my bad. Next time maybe I'll double-check before I try to kill someone, just to make sure they actually did something wrong."

Obviously I'm looking at this from the standpoint that she gambled the facts would justify her reckless actions...and whoops, that's not what happened so there should be consequences. You're in the "reasonable belief" camp and that's fine too.

View Quote

The fact that she’s only responsible for acting reasonably with the information available to her is why you don’t have to die in prison if you smoke your neighbor for crawling into your house instead of his. Or why you could be justified in shooting an officer who slipped into your house through an open door unannounced.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The only thing missing from her Cyril Figgis impression was yelling "Suppressing fire!"

Police training includes suppressing fire, doesn't it?
View Quote

Ditching plastic guns with Hi-Cap magazines and a return to revolvers would eliminate these panicked mag dumps from high strung LEOs  

(or at least slow them down a little )
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If your wife was rolling around on the ground yelling that she’s shot and shooting at a car in front of your house are you gonna wait and see if she makes it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you going to go free after doing so and it turns out you killed someone that did not in fact shoot your wife, and was in no way capable of shooting your wife?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If your wife was rolling around on the ground yelling that she's shot and shooting at a car in front of your house are you gonna wait and see if she makes it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your wife was rolling around on the ground yelling that she's shot and shooting at a car in front of your house are you gonna wait and see if she makes it?
Nope probably not, and if I fuck up and waste some innocent person I'd have to face the consequences. That's my entire basis here: normal people have to pay up when they gamble and lose.

Unlike the cops.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nope probably not, and if I fuck up and waste some innocent person I'd have to face the consequences. That's my entire basis here: normal people have to pay up when they gamble and lose.

Unlike the cops.
View Quote

Different laws for the people and the .gov. You know that though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unlike the cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike the cops.
You shouldn't go to prison for shooting an innocent person as long as you have a reasonable belief they were a threat based on the knowledge you had at the time. This actually does happen from time to time, and usually the person gets off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The fact that she's only responsible for acting reasonably with the information available to her is why you don't have to die in prison if you smoke your neighbor for crawling into your house instead of his. Or why you could be justified in shooting an officer who slipped into your house through an open door unannounced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that she's only responsible for acting reasonably with the information available to her is why you don't have to die in prison if you smoke your neighbor for crawling into your house instead of his. Or why you could be justified in shooting an officer who slipped into your house through an open door unannounced.
Not-subtle difference... In both those scenarios I'd be shooting someone I actually saw in the act of committing a crime. With my own eyes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just it: she didn't act recklessly, given the facts as she knew them at that moment. What is she supposed to do, ask him to take a picture of his bullet wound and text it to her before she responded? She had absolutely no reason to doubt anything she saw at that moment wasn't exactly what it appeared to be.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not-subtle difference... In both those scenarios I'd be shooting someone I actually saw in the act of committing a crime. With my own eyes.
View Quote

Not really a difference.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Committing a crime isn't the relevant standard for shooting someone, a threat to your or someone else's life or health is. If you shoot your neighbor for drunkenly walking into the wrong house you'd be shooting an innocent person that objectively wasn't a threat, but you'd likely be cleared because you made a reasonable interpretation given what you knew at that moment.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's just it: she didn't act recklessly, given the facts as she knew them at that moment. What is she supposed to do, ask him to take a picture of his bullet wound and text it to her before she responded? She had absolutely no reason to doubt anything she saw at that moment wasn't exactly what it appeared to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If not "reckless", what word would you use to describe trying to kill an innocent man who has his hands cuffed behind him? In your police car. Where you put him. After searching him for weapons. And who has said and done nothing threatening whatsoever.

Yeah she had no reason to doubt, because she never even saw the guy she was trying to kill lol

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Committing a crime isn't the relevant standard for shooting someone, a threat to your or someone else's life or health is. If you shoot your neighbor for drunkenly walking into the wrong house you'd be shooting an innocent person that objectively wasn't a threat, but you'd likely be cleared because you made a reasonable interpretation given what you knew at that moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you live? Breaking into other people's houses is definitely against the law where I live.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn’t expect that I’d get to walk away when the detectives find out it was actually an acorn.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If not "reckless", what word would you use to describe trying to kill an innocent man who has his hands cuffed behind him? In your police car. Where you put him. After searching him for weapons. And who has said and done nothing threatening whatsoever.

Yeah she had no reason to doubt, because she never even saw the guy she was trying to kill lol

View Quote

It’s critical that you understand this: facts don’t matter if they would be unknown to a reasonable person. Only things that an objectively reasonable person in that situation would know or perceive matter.

If someone comes running up to you with a knife in his bloody hands are you shooting him? My buddy did that once, cut an artery accidentally at work and bled everywhere. Fortunately no one shot him and they got the bleeding stopped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not really a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really a difference.

Huge difference.

Primary vs. secondary information.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Huge difference.

View Quote

It’s reasonable under some circumstances to act with secondary information.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's reasonable under some circumstances to act with secondary information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huge difference.

It's reasonable under some circumstances to act with secondary information.
I'm not arguing legalities, or what a cop can technically get away with after investigating themselves and finding no evidence of wrongdoing.

Like I said above, when you gamble without the benefit of even basic first-hand information (such as maybe verifying who you're trying to kill before you start blasting away at a handcuffed and innocent man) then in my perfect world you should face some kind of consequences when the facts don't justify the insert-adjective-here actions you took. That's all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lack of a pop comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not arguing legalities, or what a cop can technically get away with after investigating themselves and finding no evidence of wrongdoing.

Like I said above, when you gamble without the benefit of even basic first-hand information (such as maybe verifying who you're trying to kill before you start blasting away at a handcuffed and innocent man) then in my perfect world you should face some kind of consequences when the facts don't justify the insert-adjective-here actions you took. That's all.
View Quote

That’s considered under the present standard. Whether someone reasonable would believe the force was necessary.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol. wow.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn’t matter. I’ve been near or even fired shots without hearing a gunshot. Many people have and it’s reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#49]
So dude was making a move…had to get it on.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Doesn’t matter. I’ve been near or even fired shots without hearing a gunshot. Many people have and it’s reasonable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  You can't hear 100+ decibels near you?  

How did she hear him yelling then?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top