BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/4/2019 8:52:32 PM EDT
Real talk!

Wife really wants one.

Test drove a Model X 100D yesterday. It was pretty nice, drove great and had plenty of power.

Out of all the models I like the S the most. So it’s between those two pretty much equally priced around $110k optioned the way we wanted.

If we were CONUS we probably would have ordered it yesterday.

Numbers:

Income $172k annual, after tax combined, 1 permanent career (Promotion coming), 1 pension, 1 government/contract job that’s transferable.

Rent $3400 (due to location not by choice. If were conus $1000-$2000 mortgage)

Student loans $1000-$3000 a month depending. We’re are paying them off this year down to $20k from $150k PAID!

Current Car payment, not Tesla $436 (this car will probably get sold or traded in) edited for clarity

ETA:
The Tesla is not for me, it’s for the wife.
I make 1/3 of the total income
I drive a cheap car I paid cash for (because of location)
Wife is very responsible, tight with the money

ETA #2:
You’re not going to see the whole financial picture because I’m not giving it to you. It’s a car buying thread not a money thread
If you just don’t like the Tesla give me something else to checkout.
Let’s say the budget is $110k max

ETA #3: So we’ve been busy and I haven’t gotten her out to go look at some of the other MFGs. However, we paid off the student loans last night so I’ll make it a point this weekend to take her to Porsche, Jag and Lexus.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you frequently take long road trips?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Either you’re putting a lot of money down or you are taking out a mortgage length auto loan.  

In which case, why wouldn’t you put that cash towards the student loans and re up the bank account for a year or two?

Your numbers don’t make sense to me.  You either have the $20k to easily pay off the student loans or you don’t.  And if you don’t, you really aren’t in the financial responsibility position for a $110k car.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Junk
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not after watching Rich Rebuilds on YouTube.  Parts problems, software intrusiveness, repair problems, etc.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a huge monthly payment unless you're throwing a shitload of cash down on this thing. Seems like you already have a fuckload of bills too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
good luck getting parts when they go out of business
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a huge monthly payment unless you're throwing a shitload of cash down on this thing. Seems like you already have a fuckload of bills too.
View Quote
$436? What decade are you bro?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure he means on a $110k note.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Why though?

They’re inconvenient for the aforementioned long road trips.

They’re worse for the environment than dino-powered vehicles.

The constant software updates must be maddening.

I don’t get the appeal (Sure, they’re nice inside, like a fancy hotel lobby, but boring, fast, but boring.)
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
No not normally, stuck on an island right now
Quoted:
Either you’re putting a lot of money down or you are taking out a mortgage length auto loan.  

In which case, why wouldn’t you put that cash towards the student loans and re up the bank account for a year or two?

Your numbers don’t make sense to me.
View Quote
You’re confused. My current car payment listed is on a different vehicle not a Tesla.
Quoted:
Not after watching Rich Rebuilds on YouTube.  Parts problems, software intrusiveness, repair problems, etc.
View Quote
I’ll check into this
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he means on a $110k note.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure he means on a $110k note.  
Maybe if he's putting like $80k down on a 5 year loan lol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
It depends on where you live.  If you live someplace where there are superchargers and decent weather for most of the year, yes.  Otherwise, I'd advise against it.  There are other cars, just as nice, which would be better values.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
How can you make so much money and be so dumb?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why though?

They’re inconvenient for the aforementioned long road trips.

They’re worse for the environment than dino-powered vehicles.

The constant software updates must be maddening.

I don’t get the appeal (Sure, they’re nice inside, like a fancy hotel lobby, but boring, fast, but boring.)
View Quote
You can get a Mercedes S class, Quatroporte, or a Tesla.  I pick the Tesla.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The S and X are starting to get long in the tooth.

I’d either pick us a new Model 3 standard range plus for $40k or, wait 2 years for the Model Y...
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You’re confused. My current car payment listed is on a different vehicle not a Tesla.
I’ll check into this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your numbers don’t make sense to me.
Quoted:
I’ll check into this
Yes, I get this.  So do you have $20k to easily pay off the student loans or not?  “Trying” says no.  If you can’t stick away enough money to easily pay off $20k, well, see above.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah but a low mileage one that’s a few years old. From what I’ve read it seems Tesla quality was good a few years ago. I’d steer clear of new.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're confused. My current car payment listed is on a different vehicle not a Tesla.
I'll check into this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either you're putting a lot of money down or you are taking out a mortgage length auto loan.  

In which case, why wouldn't you put that cash towards the student loans and re up the bank account for a year or two?

Your numbers don't make sense to me.
You're confused. My current car payment listed is on a different vehicle not a Tesla.
Quoted:
I'll check into this
How much are you paying down? That's a $2k a month car note on a 60 month loan at my credit unions current APR.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Lol no.  Tesla is garbage and you don't make enough money.  You can buy a nice 911(or damn near anything else) for that kind of money.

I wouldn't even consider it.  I make more money and my bills are half of yours.  I might, doubt it though, but a new Vette once the hubbaloo dies down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Your electric bill will take a huge hike.  President of the division my wife works at bought one.  He wanted to go to Napa, CA.  He had to rent a car because it wouldn't make it there on 1 charge.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Tesla are unreliable and the company will be bankrupt in 2-3 years.  Then what will you do?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The S and X are starting to get long in the tooth.

I'd either pick us a new Model 3 standard range plus for $40k or, wait 2 years for the Model Y...
View Quote
I'd buy a used Model S sight unseen before I bought a new Model 3.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
No, keep burning gasoline or diesel like an American.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your electric bill will take a huge hike.
View Quote
Maybe he can get 15 mpg like us truck drivers cause that's so much cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.  So do you have $20k to easily pay off the student loans or not?  “Trying” says no.  If you can’t stick away enough money to easily pay off $20k, well, see above.
View Quote
Yes have the $20k to pay off student loans. Wife doesn’t like spending that much at once. So them being paid off by years end is the plan.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
gross
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
You shouldn't buy a car that expensive on that low of an income.

A low mileage Audi A7 or Porsche Panamerica would be a far better car for significantly less.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah but a low mileage one that’s a few years old. From what I’ve read it seems Tesla quality was good a few years ago. I’d steer clear of new.
View Quote
Quoted:
Lol no.  Tesla is garbage and you don't make enough money.  You can buy a nice 911(or damn near anything else) for that kind of money.

I wouldn't even consider it.  I make more money and my bills are half of yours.  I might, doubt it though, but a new Vette once the hubbaloo dies down.
View Quote
Quoted:
Tesla are unreliable and the company will be bankrupt in 2-3 years.  Then what will you do?
View Quote
These are the type of responses I was curious for!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You shouldn't buy a car that expensive on that low of an income.

A low mileage Audi A7 or Porsche Panamerica would be a far better car for significantly less.
View Quote
Maintenance costs on both are huge. Ask me how I know.....however, a new or one year old A3 is very affordable and you would have years of warranty.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#31]
do you have cold winters? Batteries dont do well in cold climate
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#32]
You have 20k of student loan debt and you're considering spending $100k + car on credit?

Absolutely not! Drive a beater, or at best something that's used and already taken a depreciation hit and put that extra money towards your debts.

After you pay off your debts, do the same thing and invest the savings. Instead of spending your money on a fast depreciating liability, you should be investing that money and allowing it to grow until retirement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Tesla go bankrupt and disappear.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
OP Hawaii right?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Short answer: no.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maintenance costs on both are huge. Ask me how I know.....however, a new or one year old A3 is very affordable and you would have years of warranty.
View Quote
Not so high that paying $40-60k more for a Tesla makes financial sense.

OPs income really isn't that high for a $100k car, especially in light of the high rent.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How much are you paying down? That's a $2k a month car note on a 60 month loan at my credit unions current APR.
View Quote
For thread sake let’s say: 0 down, 72month term, 2% rate, payment $1671ish.  My credit union hit my wife with a better payment for 20% down, 60month, .8% rate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes have the $20k to pay off student loans. Wife doesn’t like spending that much at once. So them being paid off by years end is the plan.
View Quote
You're gonna pay 7% interest on 20k for another few years when you could just pay it off?

Pay that shit off and stop giving more money to the government instead of buying a fancy electric car.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP Hawaii right?
View Quote
For the next 3-6year brother
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I would yes, but pay off all of the school loans first. Plus any other shit you may have excluding housing. Then do it. Makes life easier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not so high that paying $40-60k more for a Tesla makes financial sense.

OPs income really isn't that high for a $100k car, especially in light of the high rent.
View Quote
If I made his money I would target an Audi A3. Heck of a car for cheap. Warranty, reliability for years, good in gas, decent performance. No brainer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You're gonna pay 7% interest on 20k for another few years when you could just pay it off?

Pay that shit off and stop giving more money to the government instead of buying a fancy electric car.
View Quote
While he said years end which would be months, I agree with the rest of this. OP could benefit greatly by taking a basic finance class or two.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How can you make so much money and be so dumb?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
good luck getting parts when they go out of business
View Quote
This, you can’t get them now either.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes, you should buy a Tesla.  Tomorrow, as soon as the dealer opens it's doors.  Pay more than they ask, because Tesla!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For thread sake let’s say: 0 down, 72month term, 2% rate, payment $1671ish.  My credit union hit my wife with a better payment for 20% down, 60month, .8% rate.
View Quote
My mortgage, taxes, insurance, and car payment combined are less than that.

Horrible financial decision.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP Hawaii right?
About the only place the shitty range of a Tesla, plus shitty gas prices, makes some sense.  Buy a used leaf instead, and pay off your student loans.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#50]
a guy in my area bought one in may,ive seen it on a roll back 3 different times.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top