Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About the only place the shitty range of a Tesla, plus shitty gas prices, makes some sense.  Buy a used leaf instead, and pay off your student loans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP Hawaii right?
For the next 3-6year brother
About the only place the shitty range of a Tesla, plus shitty gas prices, makes some sense.  Buy a used leaf instead, and pay off your student loans.
Shitty range? I am in sales and can't figure out where all you guys drive on the daily that you need in excess of 300 miles round trip.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Cars that cost that much are for cash buyers that don't care what the maintenance/future concerns are.   It sounds like that is not you, dude.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote
You shouldn’t be talking about spending in cars!

I might be @ to you in the next week or so with a new ride.....more to follow. Trying to negotiate on it now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My mortgage, taxes, insurance, and car payment combined are less than that.

Horrible financial decision.
View Quote
No! No!  Buy the Tesla!  It will be GREAT!  BUY IT TOMORROW!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shitty range? I am in sales and can't figure out where all you guys drive on the daily that you need in excess of 300 miles round trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP Hawaii right?
How about the standard range versions in zero degree weather during the winter? Nobody ever drives 100 miles in a day?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For thread sake let’s say: 0 down, 72month term, 2% rate, payment $1671ish.  My credit union hit my wife with a better payment for 20% down, 60month, .8% rate.

Truth.  My household income is comparable.  I have no debt at all and substantial investments.  I wouldn't even consider spending that kind of money on a car.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For thread sake let’s say: 0 down, 72month term, 2% rate, payment $1671ish.  My credit union hit my wife with a better payment for 20% down, 60month, .8% rate.
View Quote
$1671/month?
Why don't you just buy a house & take an Uber everywhere?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I fucking love GD, I missed you guys.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$1671/month?
View Quote
That’s insane. You need to clear $200k in a reasonable area to take that on.

OP, don’t. Seriously, I buy stupid cars like Rovers and Audi’s and even I wouldn’t do that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about the standard range versions in zero degree weather during the winter? Nobody ever drives 100 miles in a day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP Hawaii right?
I don't think OP is talking about a standard range base model 3 for $110k...But even at that, 200 miles for the day round trip would probably be fine for the vast majority of drivers on the road.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]
They do absolutely nothing for me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 Model S's (one for me, one for the wife) and could not be happier with them. 5 years of ownership and over 100k miles on mine, 4 years and 90k on hers, and they have exceeded every expectation. I say go for it! Feel free to hit me up via PM if you have any questions about tesla, supercharging, owership experience, ect.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think OP is talking about a standard range base model 3 for $110k...
View Quote
What does a woman need a car that does 0-60 in 2 seconds or whatever the ludicrous mode does?

Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What does a woman need a car that does 0-60 in 2 seconds or whatever the ludicrous mode does?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think OP is talking about a standard range base model 3 for $110k...

To hit the car in front of her faster, of course.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$1671/month?
View Quote
Bruh, did you see my rent? I don’t want to buy a house here.

Down the street from me
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/46-288-Nahewai-St_Kaneohe_HI_96744_M89819-97932?view=qv
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t those have automatic braking that prevents that?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
the X is embarrassing, i rather drive a KIA
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, buy a Tesla, in a year or two, they just recently bought Maxwell and their dry cell tech, that alone is going to fix their manufacturing problems in the battery sector (16 times less floor space, due to no drying ovens & racks as well as no time wasted slowly drying them) this is a huge bottle neck in their manufacturing solved, along with greater energy density and improved charge times, pretty much better in all areas battery wise.

Their next gen car using that is probably going to be the first to really pass over the threshold of cost/benefits needed to be great success.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Ignore ALL the negative nancys!

Buy that fucker tomorrow!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 2 Model S's (one for me, one for the wife) and could not be happier with them. 5 years of ownership and over 100k miles on mine, 4 years and 90k on hers, and they have exceeded every expectation. I say go for it! Feel free to hit me up via PM if you have any questions about tesla, supercharging, owership experience, ect.
View Quote
I will do that, thank you!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A woman driver will find a way. Especially if she's Asian.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy the tesla after you've paid off student loans
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP, buy a Tesla, in a year or two, they just recently bought Maxwell and their dry cell tech, that alone is going to fix their manufacturing problems in the battery sector (16 times less floor space, due to no drying ovens & racks as well as no time wasted slowly drying them) this is a huge bottle neck in their manufacturing solved, along with greater energy density and improved charge times, pretty much better in all areas battery wise.

Their next gen car using that is probably going to be the first to really pass over the threshold of cost/benefits needed to be great success.
View Quote
Good info, thank you
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Buy the tesla after you've paid off student loans
View Quote
Kinda what I am thinking
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
OP,

There are some fantastic electric offerings either here or coming from Jag, Audi, Porsche, you name it.

You check out the Jaguar E thingy yet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP,

There are some fantastic electric offerings either here or coming from Jag, Audi, Porsche, you name it.

You check out the Jaguar E thingy yet?
View Quote
Not yet, going to try to do that on Wednesday.

Checked out the BMW i3 wife didn’t like it
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bruh, did you see my rent? I don’t want to buy a house here.

Down the street from me
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/46-288-Nahewai-St_Kaneohe_HI_96744_M89819-97932?view=qv
View Quote
Buy a motor home.
Live in it.
Drive it to work.
Put a satellite dish on top of it.

Still cheaper than a Tesla...
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I make waaay more than that and would not even consider a 100k car, let alone a soulless tesla.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not yet, going to try to do that on Wednesday.

Checked out the BMW i3 wife didn’t like it
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
They have a reputation for really shitty quality control and customer service.

I would be tempted if it weren't for those two facts.

Since OP is obviously shy, and won't tell us where he lives, it's hard to comment intelligently.

If you live in southern new england, they would be good, if you live in Montana, not so good.

Maybe I missed OP's location.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve sat in a Jaguar I-Pace recently and the quality blows Tesla away. Even the high end S models.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Personally, I don't think Teslas are a practical car. They still needs lots more development. I would rather put the money into a house or paying loans. Now that DJT has made the US the top exporter of crude oil and NG, I think there will be less demand for electric cars. BTW some state govts are thinking of taxing the miles you drive, they can't do that with older cars, but the newer ones they could.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I believe in the buy what you want in a car when you have the money and are willing to spend it philosophy. From your post, you're not there yet. Nk o offense meant, but you guys are worried about spending 20k and that's to pay off what you already borrowed.  Now, you're talking about borrowing a bunch more money to buy something you can't afford.

Pay off your debts. Save your money. And, then buy what you like. Anything else and you're paying the dealer and a premium to the bank instead of getting a premium on your own investments.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They have a reputation for really shitty quality control and customer service.

I would be tempted if it weren't for those two facts.

Since OP is obviously shy, and won't tell us where he lives, it's hard to comment intelligently.

If you live in southern new england, they would be good, if you live in Montana, not so good.

Maybe I missed OP's location.
View Quote
It’s on the first page!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
BUY IT!  You know you want to!  Doooo eeet!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I believe in the buy what you want in a car when you have the money and are willing to spend it philosophy. From your post, you're not there yet. Nk o offense meant, but you guys are worried about spending 20k and that's to pay off what you already borrowed.  Now, you're talking about borrowing a bunch more money to buy something you can't afford.

Pay off your debts. Save your money. And, then buy what you like. Anything else and you're paying the dealer and a premium to the bank instead of getting a premium on your own investments.

Just my 2 cents.
View Quote
Good answer.

I did not list savings, investments, retirement but I did mention a pension.  I left those things out because I’m not asking about those things.

I’m asking about buying a certain type of car.

But I do highly appreciate your advice, thank you
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BUY IT!  You know you want to!  Doooo eeet!
View Quote
Yeah! That’s what I’m talking about!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Good answer.

I did not list savings, investments, retirement but I did mention a pension.  I left those things out because I’m not asking about those things.

I’m asking about buying a certain type of car.

But I do highly appreciate your advice, thank you
View Quote
OP it seems you came into this to get your already made decision validated, which is fine. Enjoy the Tesla!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For thread sake let's say: 0 down, 72month term, 2% rate, payment $1671ish.  My credit union hit my wife with a better payment for 20% down, 60month, .8% rate.
View Quote
Lolol
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Government subsidies are making him rich.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OP it seems you came into this to get your already made decision validated, which is fine. Enjoy the Tesla!
View Quote
Not entirely Commander, I have decided that my wife deserves anything she wants. She has to choose to spend the money, which is unlikely.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not entirely Commander, I have decided that my wife deserves anything she wants. She has to choose to spend the money.
View Quote
Smart man. Some things are more important than money!
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I looked for a while for a used S but wanted AWD and it seems those were more rare.

Watching the ludicrous S models smoke Lambos on YouTube is always fun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Don’t forget to add in the charger cost for your garage. If I’m not mistaken you need a special charger to get the quick charge.

We have an owner here who might be able to say more but I think the regular outlets charge way slow. Either that or hit a charging station once or twice a week. The cost when I researched was about $2k
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#47]
As a single guy who makes a little less money than you per year AND I have cheaper rent, I do not consider myself nearly wealthy enough to buy a $100,000 car.

I’d maybe consider it at my salary if I had no rent or mortgage, but even then, ehhh.

I’d seriously look at a Model 3 long range over the $100k+ offerings for around $50k.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Smart man. Some things are more important than money!
View Quote
Quoted:
I looked for a while for a used S but wanted AWD and it seems those were more rare.

Watching the ludicrous S models smoke Lambos on YouTube is always fun.
View Quote
Quoted:

In that case, the thread should have been titled:  “What color should my wife’s new Tesla be?”

When my wife bought her Panamera several years ago, her second choice was actually a Tesla S.
View Quote
Thanks gents!

DK that’s why I came here brother, I’ll take her to the Porsche dealer later this week. You’re the 2nd Porsche comment I hadn’t even thought about those.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks gents!

DK that’s why I came here brother, I’ll take her to the Porsche dealer later this week. You’re the 2nd Porsche comment I hadn’t even thought about those.
View Quote
You won’t leave the Porsche dealer without a new car

We drove a new Macan S and I was giggling at how fast it was compared to my Rover.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#50]
The new vette came out 2020. FINALLY for once in its history it NOW looks and performs like a supercar.... for $60k! thats a steal.... fully loaded sedans and 4 door trucks cost more than that.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top