Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M as in Mancy
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My service dept manager uses his own phonetics, and just says whatever word first comes to mind. Gets pretty funny sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what bothers you?

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is what bothers you?

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ...
View Quote
Yes.

TRIGGERED!
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of us use the phonetic alphabet OP. I go to release my clearence on 345kV circuit breaker E and it is circuit breaker ECHO not E. Talk like that day in day out for 30 years and you will develop some habits.  I would not sweet the small things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a phonetic alphabet. I use the military one.

It's great over the phone. Fuck repeating letters twice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

ETA....going to add the civilian vs military phonetic alphabet

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
I'm not military but I use the radio a lot. I know the milphon well, but I can only understand the cilphon. The telephon is like a radio, actually it is a radio if it's cell, so yeah. In your context I would ask first, which I often do on the phone with, customer service, for example. "I'm going to give you the part number phonetically, is that OK?"
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a guy in the office, not really a stolen valor guy but he definitely wears camo outside of the office.

He is sorta autistic when it comes to military and history stuff. So I kinda just think he is a militaria buff and dont think much of it.

However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.

No one else in the office has issues speaking with customers and none of us need to rattle off sierra, foxtrot zulu all day, not sure why he does. I feel like this is confusing to customers, especially those that have no idea whiskey  tango foxtrot he is talking about.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58463/27e0f11f3f6aeb9ba4897ea3a5e80f4f-965328.png
View Quote
How does that first amendment work again?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love this to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you post the civilian phonetic alphabet?
And who besides the police use the "civilian" alphabet?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I use niner because 9 is in my ham call sign.......should I quit? Will .mil be knocking at my door?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civilians.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Civilians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civilians.
"Pick up that can!"
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ATC uses it extensively, and they get paid more than you make in a Month.

Every Month.
View Quote
That last little jab.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't we join the military to protect the freedoms Americans enjoy?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was developed by NATO so that all the countries can communicate effectively during a wide scale war against the Soviet Union.
View Quote
It was developed by the International Civilian Aviation Organization.

Other organizations then decided to adopt it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The FAA disagrees with you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know he could be a ham radio operator or a pilot.

Military isn’t the organization to use that alphabet.

Get off your high horse dude.

Maybe you should think twice about using any civilian ideas, terms, clothing or customs.

Nice virtue signaling thread.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
For God's sake, isn't there much more important stuff to worry about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm required to for my job.

I also work in Zulu time
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#23]
You’ve got guns, and apparently a lot of free time at work.

Who the fuck cares, probably just you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. Not today
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Ham radio.  You probably should stop worrying about it so much.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Whiskey uniform tango.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did I catch a "niner" in there? Were you calling from a walkie talkie?
View Quote
I sometimes slip a niner into normal life when I'm tired
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It's savage in here.

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Charlie Hotel India Lima Lima

Oscar Uniform Tango .....Francis

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you even Ham Radio bro?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Charlie India Lima Lima    Oscar Uniform Tango .....Francis

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Charlie India Lima Lima    Oscar Uniform Tango .....Francis

Quoted:

Hotel. You missed Hotel
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess this didn't go the way Oscar Papa thought it would.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
ATC uses it extensively, and they get paid more than you make in a Month.

Every Month.
View Quote
Except the first couple months of this year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didnt think there would be so much hostilities towards me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We still love you man.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#37]
But I still got my Retired Pay yesterday....

Quoted:

Hotel. You missed Hotel
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Someone needs to alert Don Shipley.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Was gonna say this.  When on the phone with part numbers or serial numbers the pronunciation of some letters sound too much alike to distinguish wtf the person on the other end really said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
Was gonna say this.  When on the phone with part numbers or serial numbers the pronunciation of some letters sound too much alike to distinguish wtf the person on the other end really said.
This
Its regular everyday thing where I work,I use a bastardized but mostly military version of the PA mostly due to the retired military guys I work with.

It doesn't sound like the guy is pretending to be something he isn't,just a fascination for the military and he is able to use a tool like the phonetic alphabet in a useful way,good for him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is Golf Delta after all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/3CbAxSp.jpg

If you don't use the NATO phonetic alphabet, you end up with confusing shit like this.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hotel. You missed Hotel
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#43]
The police' phonetic stuff is a charlie foxtrot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thank God.

If you had said "repeat", the artillery folks would have been shelling us relentlessly. I know it's true because some NCO told me years ago.
View Quote
“Splash over”
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#45]
....does he have cargo pockets?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:However  when on the phone with customers and going over catalog numbers and sales numbers, its all military phonetic alphabet. There are times where I swear he is calling in air support or an artillery attack.
View Quote
Lah me.  That "phonetic alphabet" you speak of was used by civilians long before the military adopted it.   After WW II, when the army was still using Able, Baker, etc., the ICAO came up with words to be used by pilots and ATC that were standardized and pronounced the same in all languages.

So, lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This
Its regular everyday thing where I work,I use a bastardized but mostly military version of the PA mostly due to the retired military guys I work with.

It doesn't sound like the guy is pretending to be something he isn't,just a fascination for the military and he is able to use a tool like the phonetic alphabet in a useful way,good for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do realize that the phonetic alphabet isn't only a military thing, right?
This

I, too, used a bastardized variation. When I worked phone tech support, I would frequently get calls from people where English was not their first language. I had a call from Pakistan, and was phonetically spelling a word, with the other person repeating. Without thinking, I said "India." Long, awkward pause...
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
....does he have cargo pockets?
View Quote
Yes and a khaki vest with a bunch of pockets
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#50]
O is not a number...it’s zero

It bothers me when people say “o” instead of zero when referencing a phone number or something
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top