Seriously, why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Respect your elders

Seriously, why?
because of the culture club. Boy George is our hero.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The default position on the potentiometer that controls my disposition is to treat people with respect until they give me a reason not to.

In traffic, in line at the grocery store - whatever.

Not going out of your way to start trouble is a pretty good methodology to avoid finding it.

I'm almost fifty, physically broken, half blind, and can barely walk. If some troublemaker or a predator decides that I'm an easy mark I cannot evade on foot. In a stand-up fight I'd probably get my ass handed to me.

My only hope is to make a confrontation as unfair as possible.

That's where the treachery comes in.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You don’t have a clue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The level of deluded boomer cope posting in here is the funniest shit I’ve read in weeks.

There’s a reason you old fucks are barred from joining military SOF units and the like, and it’s not because you’re too strong.

It is because of knees and backs.

First off, no, that’s stupidly reductive.

Even if your were right though, knee and back health still matters in a fight.

Testosterone and growth hormone levels decline with age, this is not subject to the wishful thinking of old men.

You don’t have a clue.

Yeah, you right, you right.

That’s why pretty much all sports are dominated by men in their 50’s instead of men in their 20’s.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s why pretty much all sports are dominated by men in their 50’s instead of men in their 20’s.
View Quote

Nice grammar, guy.

Are you from the ghetto, or do you just wish that you were?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So should 11 year olds give respect to 45 year olds before the 45 year olds earn it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does OP know what deference means?  
Defer the lifting of a heavy load to younger co-worker?  Maybe.  They have to learn to carry the weight just like I did.

Deference as in "respectful submission" to some young buck?
Respect is earned, not just given.  So No.  Because I don't give a fuck.  

So should 11 year olds give respect to 45 year olds before the 45 year olds earn it?

Not sure that’s what your original intent was but as I stated respect is earned.  Should a child be “respectful” as in polite to their elders?  Yes.  Submissive?  No unless they know and trust their elder.  I know this is a generalization but I'm sure the dangers of being a submissive to anyone are obvious at any age.  
One can be respectful and polite but still not be a submissive cuck at any age.  That is the challenge of parenting boys.  Raising good men and not keeping them good boys.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Respect your elders
View Quote

Not to mention yer betters.

Damn kids anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The level of deluded boomer cope posting in here is the funniest shit I’ve read in weeks.

There’s a reason you old fucks are barred from joining military SOF units and the like, and it’s not because you’re too strong.

Testosterone and growth hormone levels decline with age, this is not subject to the wishful thinking of old men.

You don’t have a clue.

Many of those young guys in their 20s are playing on teams owned by guys in their 50s and 60s.

So tell me, who has the real power in your example?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am an "older guy."

My policy is to treat everyone with respect, unless and until they prove to me they are not worthy of it.

ETA: Marxist/Lib SJW pieces of shit have already proven they are not worthy of it, categorically.
View Quote

I'm with 6w2.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Many of those young guys in their 20s are playing on teams owned by guys in their 50s and 60s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t have a clue.

What are the old men gonna do in a physical altercation, throw their contracts at them?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Fear / respect work together.
You do not stick your arm in the lion cage at the zoo becasue of #1 , #2 or both becasue you know there are bad things that could happen.

Being around other people its the same cincumstances.
When I bounced in bars being nice / repsectful to people and asking them to leave worked 95% of the time while 5% you ended up hands on.
Being nice / respectuful does not work on everyone.

Idiots in traffic are all tough people until the car stops and face to face then most have an attitude change.

I treat people that way I am treated, period and play the cards I am dealt.
When I was in my 40's a high school kid nailed my car with a snowball after I eyeballed him and shook my head "no".
I chased him down to his surprise and rolled him, he pissed his pants laying on the ground. You do not have to hit everyone to make an impact.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It's screwed up that this has to be said, but you don't respect people for what they can do.

You respect them because of what they are.

You respect your father because he's your father.
You respect your mom because she's your mom.

You respect police for being law enforcement officers (and that's one reason why we all scream so loud @ them for not doing that).

You respect and love your wife because she's your other half (if you didn't have to respect your wife because she couldn't beat you up in a straight up fight, virtually nobody would respect their wives AND a ton of dudes would go to sleep and NEVER wake up).

We treat humans with more respect than animals because humans are the reflection of God (we have language, we think, we plan, we feel, we create in a lesser sense - because we are in God's image - animals aren't).

We treat closer blood relations differently than those who are further out ... because they are close blood, not because of what they can do to us.

That we mainly treat others with more or less respect because of *how they can serve our desires or stop us from getting them* is not a sign that we're grown up or even decent.  It just shows we are selfish.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The default position on the potentiometer that controls my disposition is to treat people with respect until they give me a reason not to.

Not going out of your way to start trouble is a pretty good methodology to avoid finding it.

I'm almost fifty, physically broken, half blind, and can barely walk. If some troublemaker or a predator decides that I'm an easy mark I cannot evade on foot. In a stand-up fight I'd probably get my ass handed to me.

View Quote

I make a real distinction between "respect" and "courtesy"
It never failed that I used to get lectured by someone, often a minority, that I owed them "respect". minority criminals really liked to throw that "respect" thing out there.
I would tell them that I owed them what at one time was called common courtesy.
Respect was earned.
There is a difference, and they didn't understand that difference.
For them it was "respect" versus "disrespect".
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I would say with difference I am always caring something that could get you killed. I also don’t play games I don’t fight fair I fight to win. By the way I’m almost 67.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice grammar, guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice grammar, guy.

Dat da joke.

Any time you agree with a boomer you have to type like a retard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because they're weak.
View Quote

Because they are smarter than a dumb ass 20 something year old. Don't expend energy in a fight when you can just shoot a mother fucker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
As usual, wise Grim spoke to this.  There is a natural hierarchy and order to a healthy relationship between young and old men:

"I was reading an article the other day, in the local newspaper, about an elderly Korean gentleman who has moved into town and opened a martial arts studio. He chastened the reporter who had come to interview him not to suggest that the martial arts were 'all about fighting.' "No!" he said. "The purpose is social harmony."

"That is exactly right. The secret of social harmony is simple: Old men must be dangerous.

"Very nearly all the violence that plagues, rather than protects, society is the work of young males between the ages of fourteen and thirty. A substantial amount of the violence that protects rather than plagues society is performed by other members of the same group. The reasons for this predisposition are generally rooted in biology, which is to say that they are not going anywhere, in spite of the current fashion that suggests doping half the young with Ritalin.

"The question is how to move these young men from the first group (violent and predatory) into the second (violent, but protective). This is to ask: what is the difference between a street gang and the Marine Corps, or a thug and a policeman? In every case, we see that the good youths are guided and disciplined by old men. This is half the answer to the problem...."

More here:

https://grimbeorn.blogspot.com/2004/06/social-harmony.html#links

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I think some people are ignoring or don't know about old man strength.  Those of us that have been turning wrenches and doing manual labor for decades aren't buff roided out monsters, but we pick up heavy shit and break bolts lose that the youngins can't do.  

Old man on bus
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think some people are ignoring or don't know about old man strength.  Those of us that have been turning wrenches and doing manual labor for decades aren't buff roided out monsters, but we pick up heavy shit and break bolts lose that the youngins can't do.  

Old man on bus
View Quote

Is old man strength greater or lesser than farm strength?

Is it like retard strength?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Why feed this thread?
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol, so basically, I was spot on in my assessment of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing to think about. Respect for one's elders is the mark of a man, lack of it is indicative of a child who will never grow up.

My father and grandfather, and those that came before them, are thankfully no longer here to see how far those like you have sunk.

You disgust me.

Lol, so basically, I was spot on in my assessment of you.

Your opinions are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

no, "dope" is out.  "Fetch" is in.  As in, "that's so fetch."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, that PlayStation and XBox does teach some pretty dope fighting moves.   Do people still say dope as an adjective?   I'd favor experience myself.

no, "dope" is out.  "Fetch" is in.  As in, "that's so fetch."

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait, wait....

Is ARFCOM GD actually arguing about

1 - young men generally being more physically capable than older men?
2 - regardless you should generally treat others, especially older with respect - unless they prove unworthy of said respect?
3 - finally, we are arguing generally older men have much more financial power and influence?

Look, the sky is generally blue, North is up on a correct map and the above is all true...

Back to "chili with beans!  No!  No beans!" or "Masks!  Who need 'em amirite?" or "you carry a 1911?  You literally want to die??"

lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What are the old men gonna do in a physical altercation, throw their contracts at them?
View Quote
Cheat?  Use a knife?  Shoot them?  Break a kneecap?  Lots of ways if you fight to win instead of for fun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Chili without beans is soup, and the 1911 is a divine gift from Heaven.

Most of the women 'round here look better with the masks, so . . .

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why feed this thread?
View Quote

That wasn't very nice!!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

my dad recounted an incident he saw as a young adult many times. There was an old guy in the neighborhood who'd lost a leg in WWI. He got around great on crutches. A couple of guys not from the neighborhood decided to roll him one night. My dad said he saw them starting in on him as he drove past. He liked the guy so he turned his car around and glided to a stop next to the altercation. My dad said he arrived too late, by the time he arrived the old man had knocked one the guys to the sidewalk and knocked him out. Dad said by the time he got out of the car the old man had broken the other guys' arm, taken out one of his knees, and was preparing to take out the other knee.   When my dad had passed the old man had been working to position himself so as to balance himself on one crutch so he could use the other as a weapon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chili without beans is soup, and the 1911 is a divine gift from Heaven.

Most of the women 'round here look better with the masks, so . . .

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196625/ill-allow-it-community-136801.gif
View Quote

LOL.

Great answer
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dat da joke.

Any time you agree with a boomer you have to type like a retard.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
my dad recounted an incident he saw as a young adult many times. There was an old guy in the neighborhood who'd lost a leg in WWI. He got around great on crutches. A couple of guys not from the neighborhood decided to roll him one night. My dad said he saw them starting in on him as he drove past. He liked the guy so he turned his car around and glided to a stop next to the altercation. My dad said he arrived too late, by the time he arrived the old man had knocked one the guys to the sidewalk and knocked him out. Dad said by the time he got out of the car the old man had broken the other guys' arm, taken out one of his knees, and was preparing to take out the other knee.   When my dad had passed the old man had been working to position himself so as to balance himself on one crutch so he could use the other as a weapon.
View Quote

For every world war veteran who's still got it anecdote out there, there are a half-dozen polar bear hunter stories going unrecounted.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

General population:
How many 25-35 year olds have ever taken a punch or been in a physical altercation of any kind?

Ask the same question of the proceeding generations.

On average, young American men have grown weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are a bunch of posts in the "Mississippi man redneck piece of shit beats kid up" thread about how Back In My Day™ kids knew better than to talk shit to adults, because adults were larger and stronger, and would just beat their asses. Respect flowed from young to old because of this time-tested dynamic, and a good time was had by all.

Okay. Should the same logic apply to older guys? If you're 58, you're almost certainly going to lose a fight with any 25-35 year old man. Should older guys know their place and keep their mouths shut around stronger young guys? If an old guy smarts off to someone in his prime, is the young guy fully justified in smacking him around?

General population:
How many 25-35 year olds have ever taken a punch or been in a physical altercation of any kind?

Ask the same question of the proceeding generations.

On average, young American men have grown weak.

Ok boomer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lol, the day of the pillow nears.
View Quote

lol, bring pillow to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Could you describe them in clinical terms and then give an indication of the usual course of treatment for those diagnosed with my condition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP has serious mental issues.

Could you describe them in clinical terms and then give an indication of the usual course of treatment for those diagnosed with my condition?

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

A disorder in a child marked by defiant and disobedient behavior to authority figures.

Mayo Clinic Johns Hopkins

Therapy, usually with family, is the course of treatment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, the day of the pillow nears.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m 58 next week and I mountain bike.

I’ve never taken out a young healthy guy that can keep up and I’m nothing special. There’s plenty of guys around my age that are stronger than me.

You younger guys always talk about how much you can do then disappoint me on the trail.

Us old guys don’t have to stop to puke on a bike ride.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A disorder in a child marked by defiant and disobedient behavior to authority figures.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehhh, you’re giving him too much credit... Lots of us have problems with authority. Thing is, age does not confer authority.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Young or old. Assholes come in all age brackets.

I'm an older senior firefighter. While I can still hold my own physically, It's just plain dumb to not let the young bucks do the more physically demanding tasks. Old men with Hero complexes are can get people hurt. You give respect, you get respect. If some junior comes out of pocket on something, you check them, but not in a manner that demeans them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I think OP gets off on his thread going 10 pages.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll get myself checked out.

"Can you describe your symptoms?"

"Yeah, I started a shitpost thread on a gun website poking fun at how old people always want kids to respect them."

"Oh my god, this is the worst case we've ever seen."
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think OP gets off on his thread going 10 pages.
View Quote

I'm definitely not as mad about my thread going 10 pages as the boomers in this thread are about the thread itself lol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am an "older guy."

My policy is to treat everyone with respect, unless and until they prove to me they are not worthy of it.

ETA: Marxist/Lib SJW pieces of shit have already proven they are not worthy of it, categorically.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I agree to some extent. It's the reason why a 40 year old may defeat an 18 year old. By the time that 18 year old has become 30, though, the same older guy has no chance against him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old man strong is a thing.  That isn't necessarily just strength, it is will to fight.

I was just answering a question about 'chi' from my 9 year old son.

It isn't always about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

I agree to some extent. It's the reason why a 40 year old may defeat an 18 year old. By the time that 18 year old has become 30, though, the same older guy has no chance against him.

If that older guy is a former boxer or MMA he will beat your ass before you know what hit you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Which is why old men shouldn't run their mouths to men in their primes! You're making my point!
View Quote

Lol stupid kid is not just saying
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#48]
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Strongest Old Man: Old Man Beating Up Young Man In The Boxing Ring!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When I was in my 20s I treated those in their 50s with deference
View Quote

First Post.

Plus old guys have usually learned "some things" along the way...
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top