Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly I think this ------------> http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/calm-pistol-brace-ruling-hasnt-changed/ is the only thing I need to give me peace of mind. It makes total sense to me that the mouth breather that originally wrote the ATF that letter was telling them hey I am blatantly making an SBR and using this pistol stabalizer as a stock, give me your blessing. Of course the ATF is going to say that is not ok, but the rest of us that had the intent of manufacturing a pistol in the first place.. were in the clear no matter how we choose to wield it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I think this ------------> http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/calm-pistol-brace-ruling-hasnt-changed/ is the only thing I need to give me peace of mind. It makes total sense to me that the mouth breather that originally wrote the ATF that letter was telling them hey I am blatantly making an SBR and using this pistol stabalizer as a stock, give me your blessing. Of course the ATF is going to say that is not ok, but the rest of us that had the intent of manufacturing a pistol in the first place.. were in the clear no matter how we choose to wield it.
View Quote

Except that ignores the letters from Shockwave and Black Aces that say the same thing. It is a position reversal that was brought about by ATF higherups for essentially letting "factory sbrs" out on the market as pistols.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And the problem is, as others have pointed out, that the VAST majority of people who purchased the SIG arm brace, did so precisely because they intended to shoulder it.

We all know this.  Lots of people figured that it would be "okay" to surreptitiously do so, because of the original letter to SIG.  But we all knew that almost everyone who bought one intended to shoulder it after they installed it - which I guess technically could mean that they were in fact "building" an unregistered SBR when they attached the SIG brace, because they were configuring a weapon so it could be fired from the shoulder, which "makes" it a rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The brace is still perfectly legal, the ATF still holds that a pistol is a pistol is a pistol, even if you hold it to your shoulder.

The only caveat is INTENT, the letter suggests that building a SBR using the arm brace as a stock is the intent, this would mean the gun is intended to be an SBR and not a pistol.

Dumb but the way things are at present.

And the problem is, as others have pointed out, that the VAST majority of people who purchased the SIG arm brace, did so precisely because they intended to shoulder it.

We all know this.  Lots of people figured that it would be "okay" to surreptitiously do so, because of the original letter to SIG.  But we all knew that almost everyone who bought one intended to shoulder it after they installed it - which I guess technically could mean that they were in fact "building" an unregistered SBR when they attached the SIG brace, because they were configuring a weapon so it could be fired from the shoulder, which "makes" it a rifle.
Double this when they start calling it Their 'California SBR'....... Insert some other State Name there...

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Sig AR Pistol with Brace.........

Pay for the Tax Stamp as a SBR......

Let the Hilarity Begin...........

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've already done this actually.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be so funny at the trial when one of these guys gets busted.

<ATF Atty> Sir, since you claim you used this device only as intended, can you show us how to put it on.  The weapon has been checked safe by court security.

<Busted Arfcomer> I don't know how!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I dont see where you come up with the part in red at all.

Prince Law Blog is pointing out how this is unenforceable and capricious, and how the ATF's position in the recent letter(s) turns anyone shooting an AR pistol with a bare buffer tube is really shooting an SBR.
The author of that article states that intent is all that matters and if you never intended to shoulder it while firing you're fine.

My issue with the article is that it (like the ATF's recent letter) leaves open "Who gets to decide what my intent is/was?"
The author consults with an "ATF agent" who tells him everything is fine, dont worry about it.
I dont know the author, and I dont know his buddy, "Agent Snuffalupagus" who apparently only he can speak to....

That article is an opinion, and nothing more.

Prince Law blog is stating facts about this particular incident.

I do agree this is more of a sky is falling kind of thing, but not because of the article....

I think ATF is going to shoot itself in the foot with this and its other recent "interpretations" of the law, (IE Trusts not being a person) and its going to get smacked in a court of law.

Bottom line is that agencies such as the ATF dont get to reinterpret the laws based on their mood or the color of the bosses tie on Wednesday morning.
They have to follow the rules and laws just like everyone else, (F&F be damned).

If anything, I'm seeing ALOT more irritation at the Fed Gov's doing what it wants from the local people.....this translates out to wanting to hold people accountable for their actions, and I sense a sea change coming....

But I'm just a muni cop in St Louis....what the fuck do I know....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it does pretty follow suit with the princelaw.com blog.

When you read 'the letter' it has a lot more to do with converting a rifle to a pistol & the intent to end up with an SBR than it does with anything else.

I think this thing is whole lot more 'sky is falling' than a major shift in position by the ATF.

We all know the sig brace isn't a shoulder stock & wasn't intended to be. I don't think anyone is/was trying to 'pull one over' on the .gov.

Like some others though, I'm surprised at how many 'freedom loving gun owners' are so willing to sign on .govs dotted line...

I dont see where you come up with the part in red at all.

Prince Law Blog is pointing out how this is unenforceable and capricious, and how the ATF's position in the recent letter(s) turns anyone shooting an AR pistol with a bare buffer tube is really shooting an SBR.
The author of that article states that intent is all that matters and if you never intended to shoulder it while firing you're fine.

My issue with the article is that it (like the ATF's recent letter) leaves open "Who gets to decide what my intent is/was?"
The author consults with an "ATF agent" who tells him everything is fine, dont worry about it.
I dont know the author, and I dont know his buddy, "Agent Snuffalupagus" who apparently only he can speak to....

That article is an opinion, and nothing more.

Prince Law blog is stating facts about this particular incident.

I do agree this is more of a sky is falling kind of thing, but not because of the article....

I think ATF is going to shoot itself in the foot with this and its other recent "interpretations" of the law, (IE Trusts not being a person) and its going to get smacked in a court of law.

Bottom line is that agencies such as the ATF dont get to reinterpret the laws based on their mood or the color of the bosses tie on Wednesday morning.
They have to follow the rules and laws just like everyone else, (F&F be damned).

If anything, I'm seeing ALOT more irritation at the Fed Gov's doing what it wants from the local people.....this translates out to wanting to hold people accountable for their actions, and I sense a sea change coming....

But I'm just a muni cop in St Louis....what the fuck do I know....

I'm not going to disagree with you a bit, 'cept to say that the prince law blog is still just a lawyers interpretation of the facts. That's the problem in all this, there are no 'facts', just letters of opinion & interpretations of said letters. On top of that we get conflicting letters of opinion & further interpretations of the additional letters.

I'm just a dumbass farmer that happened to raise a deputy..
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

<ATF Atty> Sir, since you claim you used this device only as intended, can you show us how to put it on.  The weapon has been checked safe by court security.

<Busted OCTer> I don't know how!!
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Pfft.  You didn't fix shit
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
So if holding a pistol to your shoulder "remakes", or "re-designs" is as a rifle, then using the exact same interpretation of the law, holding a pistol with two hands, redesigns or remakes it as an "AOW." No different than adding a vertical foregrip.

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as:

… a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as:

… any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.
View Quote

I think I need to write the ATF a letter asking for clarification on this two handed pistol shooting loophole all you people have been using to skirt the NFA.

Goodbye this:

Hello this:

What's old will be new again.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Isnt it pretty self explanatory?..........

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FBATFE.

I don't own a sig brace and probably never will but they can still suck it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So is the NFA and the brace-boys don't seem to get it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I just can't believe guys out there are still pushing this issue! Let. It be. Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No one cares what you think, retread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will probably the only one but I'm actually glad the SIG Brace is dead. All it did was taint everything it touched with it's hideous rubber vagina flaps.

Chillax dude.

No need to get hostile like you did when you brought beer to a shoot hosted by another Arfcommer, and someone else drank it all.

Who brings beer to a gun shoot anyway?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

What exactly are they missing about it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Chillax dude.

No need to get hostile like you did when you brought beer to a shoot hosted by another Arfcommer, and someone else drank it all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will probably the only one but I'm actually glad the SIG Brace is dead. All it did was taint everything it touched with it's hideous rubber vagina flaps.

Chillax dude.

Seriously??
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SBR part...

They seem to think they are getting away with something.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The SBR part...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SBR part...

You mean how a Sig Brace equipped pistol doesn't fit the definition of an SBR?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The SBR part...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SBR part...

What are they getting away with by owning a pistol?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The SBR part...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SBR part...

If you have both (sbr and pistol w/brace), what is it exactly you'd be trying to get away with? I'd love to hear it.

...No response? Figured so. Nooblets gonna noob.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Thank god you're just a wannabe pretend cop.
You don't have what it takes to be a real member of a law enforcement agency.
It takes a "Special"kind of person to make a statement like this one of yours.

"It will be so funny at the trial when one of these guys gets busted".

One of these days you're going to piss off the wrong beer drinker.
Or maybe some other person you try to impress your authority on.
You might just find that tiny little badge you masturbate over . Shoved right up your ass.

Just a friendly reminder from someone that doesn't want to see you get hurt!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chillax dude.

Seriously??

Were they consumed while the subject was sitting in their car?  Did any Security personnel report the issue to the police?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The SBR part...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SBR part...

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You might just find that tiny little badge you masturbate over . Shoved right up your ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Badges?

We don't need no stinking badges!

You might be surprised to learn the biggest douchebags I encounter are on this site, lol.

They funny, like you!

eta: is wanmabe pretend cop like wannabe pretend SBR??
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You might be surprised to learn the biggest douchebags I encounter are on this site, lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You might be surprised to learn the biggest douchebags I encounter are on this site, lol

Oh, the irony. You gonna answer my question, Squirt?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

whats worse are the photos I see on this site showing the brace with no straps on it
now how can you explain you even using the brace with no straps on it at all

at least keep the straps on it thats what makes it a brace
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, the irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the irony.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Badges?

You might be surprised to learn the biggest douchebags I encounter are on this site, lol.

They funny, like you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.

Badges?

They funny, like you!

'

As usual you seem to have nothing better to do than troll Arfcom and express your disdain for the membership.

I hope that you are as miserable as it seems.

Go away.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the irony.

No shit. Right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So if holding a pistol to your shoulder "remakes", or "re-designs" is as a rifle, then using the exact same interpretation of the law, holding a pistol with two hands, redesigns or remakes it as an "AOW." No different than adding a vertical foregrip.

I think I need to write the ATF a letter asking for clarification on this two handed pistol shooting loophole all you people have been using to skirt the NFA.

Goodbye this:

http://www.bradshawpistolacademy.net/images/lvickers.jpg

Hello this:

http://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/id_pistol_m1911_700_06-250x181.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

“Handgun” is defined under Federal law to mean, in part, a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand…. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).

Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, “pistol” is defined as:

… a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA further defines the term “any other weapon” (AOW) as:

… any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

Goodbye this:

http://www.bradshawpistolacademy.net/images/lvickers.jpg

Hello this:

http://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/id_pistol_m1911_700_06-250x181.jpg

Ha! I thought about that too, along with sending in a pic of my Glock with the extended mag well resting on my shoulder and asking if I need to SBR it.

Also, would the front checkering on a trigger guard mean you need to AOW a pistol since it looks like it was made to fire with both hands?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Except that ignores the letters from Shockwave and Black Aces that say the same thing.
View Quote
Black Aces was used in an entirely different manner than the design IMHO, and the Shockwave brace is pretty different from Sig's brace. The Shockwave almost looks like it's just a slim stock with a couple of straps on it. I think the ATF just called Shockwave's BS since they're trying to cash in on the popularity of Sig's brace.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Black Aces was used in an entirely different manner than the design IMHO, and the Shockwave brace is pretty different from Sig's brace. The Shockwave almost looks like it's just a slim stock with a couple of straps on it. I think the ATF just called Shockwave's BS since they're trying to cash in on the popularity of Sig's brace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except that ignores the letters from Shockwave and Black Aces that say the same thing.

The question is, what are the actual legal differences between those other items vs the original SB-15? Since the SB-15 doesn't change the classification based on usage(Sgt Bradley letter), why would it do so on a "other firearm"(Black Aces), or what makes the Shockwave different than the SB-15?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The question is, what are the actual legal differences between those other items vs the original SB-15? Since the SB-15 doesn't change the classification based on usage(Sgt Bradley letter), why would it do so on a "other firearm"(Black Aces), or what makes the Shockwave different than the SB-15?
View Quote
I doubt there's a legal difference, but I would assume that sticking an AR-15 buffer tube (even a smooth one) onto a 14" shotgun with a pistol grip would be reason enough to make the ATF go "Wait... what?". It's silly obviously, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why they would think differently about it.

For the Shockwave, probably no legal difference either but it doesn't exactly look like it was intended as a brace, whereas the Sig does. It would seem that if Shockwave could get away with that thing, they could just put a couple of straps onto an MOE stock and have that approved too.

I dunno.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#36]
And the 14er nails it.    
Quoted:
....God, gun owners truly are there own worst enemy...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Zaminski;

Well to answer your question.
"Is wannabe pretend cop like wannabe pretend SBR??"

I don't know what to tell you.
I've been out of the Law Enforcement community for around 25 years now I believe.
Wasn't a Wannabe, was sworn.

As far as a pretend SBR? Can't say. I don't own one.
I'm really not sure what a pretend one would be.
It either is, or it isn't an SBR.

The problem with you is. You are actually looking forward to seeing, fellow Gun Owners get arrested.
Over some ambiguous wording. Or what the meaning of IS is.
To me that's sad. And doesn't say very much for your character.
Personally I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not even my worst enemy.

As far as me being a Douchebag?
Hell I've been called a lot worse than that. By better men than you.
Coming from you sir. I take that as a compliment.
Thanks!Enjoy your night!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Nobody at the BATFE gives a single fuck about how you use your sig braces, and not a single person will ever be brought on charges for any "misuse" of anything.

Only about .01% of brace owners will ever read some flavor of the day "ruling". They will continue to buy these things by the thousands in every local gun store for years to come, and the only fucks given, will be by wannabe lawyer fucks on AR15.com.

Buy, enjoy, and quit worrying about the sky falling..........cause it's not
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

why is that funny?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#41]
you guys still wankin over this..... i thought we where dropping it ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna write a letter to the ATF asking: "Why you change your mind?"

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"To SBR or not SBR..........that is the question?"

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#46]
So, is ownership of an AR pistol with a bare buffer tube and a Sig brace in the box constructive intent?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes!  The problem as I see it is ATF "rulings".  Gov't agencies should not be making the law or interpreting it.  That's for congress and the courts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is such a clusterfuck.

I hate the NFA!!

Yes!  The problem as I see it is ATF "rulings".  Gov't agencies should not be making the law or interpreting it.  That's for congress and the courts.

This!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So, is ownership of an AR pistol with a bare buffer tube and a Sig brace in the box constructive intent?
View Quote

Write a letter...
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I wish sig would make a larger size. My muscular forearms are a very tight fit. Who did they design these for? Skinny girly men?
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top