BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How, then, did people cope with the Garand?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
270 WSM.  Won't ever happen on a service rifle.

Any cartridge with that kinda smash will eat barrels and shoulders.  The average troop these days has never fired a gun and to toss them a weapon with 270WSM recoil and say have at would be a huge mistake.

Advanced and experienced shooters sure but rank and file grunt, sky cop etc.  It would be a huge mistake.
The Garand weighed over 9 lbs, but then again the
Army likes their magnified optics... the new service rifle seems unlikely to be much of a lightweight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They have stars and say "make X happen." That makes all the non star people run around until they can find the lowest man on the totem pole. He gets tagged ("you're it") and spends the next 3 years of his tour trying to make X happen. The Army throws millions of dollars at X and gets it to an almost workable solution. Meanwhile, the head starman PCSs/retires, thinking he is going to work for the X company for $300k a year on the BoD.
The new starman says "X was retarded, let's do Y."

Rinse and repeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd really like to see the credentials of the .mil folks that are supplying the requirements for the endless "M4/M249 replacement" RFP's.......

If nothing else, they are smart enough to have figured out how to make a living out of it.......
They have stars and say "make X happen." That makes all the non star people run around until they can find the lowest man on the totem pole. He gets tagged ("you're it") and spends the next 3 years of his tour trying to make X happen. The Army throws millions of dollars at X and gets it to an almost workable solution. Meanwhile, the head starman PCSs/retires, thinking he is going to work for the X company for $300k a year on the BoD.
The new starman says "X was retarded, let's do Y."

Rinse and repeat.
100% Accurate.

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any cartridge with that kinda smash will eat barrels and shoulders.  The average troop these days has never fired a gun and to toss them a weapon with 270WSM recoil and say have at would be a huge mistake.

Advanced and experienced shooters sure but rank and file grunt, sky cop etc.  It would be a huge mistake.
That's different!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you scale up a .264 diameter bullet to .277 diameter, two thing happen.  One, it gets a little heavier.  Two, the BC increases.  The .277 ogive and boatail are both longer than the .264.

This even works in round lead balls from muzzleloaders.

If cartridge overall length is dictated by magazine compatibility, the length of the ogive is retricted to a range compatible with the length of the cartridge case and the maximum length that will function through the magazine.

An easy example is the AR15.  Necking up the 5.56 to 6mm gains all sorts of high BC 6mm bullets, but their longer ogives and overall length make loading them to magazine length a problem.  6.8 bullets for the 6.8 SPC nessisarily have short ogives to fit in the magazine, limiting their ballistic potential.

Only one thing stops people from making .277 bullets with BC's equal or better than the various .264 examples.  There is little demand.  People used .224, 6mm 6.5 and .30 caliber (and more recently 7mm) for target shooting, we get match bullets in those diameters because there is a demand for them.

In .277 you have mostly hunting bullets for the .270 Winchester and short stubby bullets for the 6.8.  There isn't much else because there isn't the demand.  Short of military use, why would you?  You would just use the now plentiful .284  long range bullets instead.  No reason to reinvent the wheel over .007".
View Quote
I understand that adding mass also increases the BC, but we were talking about within a given projectile weight. For whatever amount of material is in a given projectile, that material being located where it makes the projectile longer along the direction of motion (sectional density) is good for BC whereas adding that material in a location where it makes the projectile wider hurts the BC (because it takes away from sectional density and adds to frontal surface area).
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Meanwhile in tungsten core 6.5 grendel land...
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
ETA:wrong thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I understand that adding mass also increases the BC, but we were talking about within a given projectile weight. For whatever amount of material is in a given projectile, that material being located where it makes the projectile longer along the direction of motion (sectional density) is good for BC whereas adding that material in a location where it makes the projectile wider hurts the BC (because it takes away from sectional density and adds to frontal surface area).
View Quote
I never said anything about a given projectile weight. What difference does it really make if you 6.5 projectile weighs 123 grain and the 6.8 weights 130?  Your ammo can weighs 2.4 ounces more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree, but the kids these days are soft, almost all of them.
View Quote
Lol, who doesn't want a heavier gun, heavier ammo, and a reduced combat load! Makes perfect sense!
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting prototypes.  I'd like to know more about bullet construction and how it supposedly compromises level IV armor at 600m.
View Quote
Vendors are supplied with solid copper surrogate bullets.  The construction of the actual bullets you can ask about in 2038.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If anything, it should have the performance like a 270 Winchester, not a short mag.  ASSuming it's a .308 necked down to .277, that's a few grains less powder than a 270, which is *essentially* a 30-06 necked down to .277 (actually a 30/03 necked down, but muh semantics.)
View Quote
Look at the velocities published, it is way hotter than a 270 Winchester.   Think outside the box don't limit yourself to conventional SAMMI pressures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The polymer cased telescopic ammo is for the Textron submission, which is really the 'system to beat' in this contract.

This, but in 6.8:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/08/lsat-6-5mm-plastic-cased-ammo-armys-next-small-arms-program/wv5uvry/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMSaBBZWsAA5M0l.jpg

The other strong contender will be General Dynamics, which has paired with True Velocity and their very nicely designed Hybrid Polymer/Steel cases:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/TrueVelocityAmmo.jpg

FN is the real mystery, no idea what they are submitting in terms of lightweight cases.
View Quote
Textron is the system to beat because the lead on the procurement was the CEO of textron just a year before she got a job with the Army.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Vendors are supplied with solid copper surrogate bullets.  The construction of the actual bullets you can ask about in 2038.
View Quote
Or see pictures of them here when this gets adopted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bullet diameter is not BC.  Bullet diameter is a minor factor and it works against smaller diameter bullets.

ETA: Ballistic coefficient does not equal higher hit probability in military small arms.  What it might do for you is increase penetration at range, which appears to be something in demand.  Whether or not this is of actually utility is still in doubt.

Velocity is much more important to trajectory than BC over the ranges where small arms are commonly used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BC is irrelevant?

Please expound.
Bullet diameter is not BC.  Bullet diameter is a minor factor and it works against smaller diameter bullets.

ETA: Ballistic coefficient does not equal higher hit probability in military small arms.  What it might do for you is increase penetration at range, which appears to be something in demand.  Whether or not this is of actually utility is still in doubt.

Velocity is much more important to trajectory than BC over the ranges where small arms are commonly used.
Almost everything in your post is wrong.

I never said bullet diameter was BC.

What I did say is some diameters have WAY better BCs than others.

6.8 on the whole sucks.

6.5mm and 7mm on the whole are very good.

Diameter is far from a minor factor, most 6.5mm and 7mm bullets have good to excellent BCs.

Drag is a function of weight, shape and frontal area.  Frontal area = diameter.

BC doesn’t equal hit probability.  Are you on crack?

Mathematically this is a proven fact.

Velocity is more important than BC?  Again let’s put down the crack pipe.

BC is what let’s you hang onto velocity.

I have a 22-243, one of the fastest cartridges ever.

I have a 40gr. load that comes out the pipe 4,800 FPS.

I have a 75gr. load that comes out the pipe at 3,600 FPS.

There’s this thing called wind drift.

Even at 200 yards the hit probability of the 75gr. bullet is 40% greater, due to the higher BC.

Velocity without a meaningful BC is pointless. Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe the ball rounds.   The good rounds will be locked away in a vault and never issued until we're at war with China or another major power.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe the ball rounds.   The good rounds will be locked away in a vault and never issued until we're at war with China or another major power.
View Quote
They'll be too expensive to use until we need them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

6.8 on the whole sucks.

Diameter is far from a minor factor, most 6.5mm and 7mm bullets have good to excellent BCs.

BC doesn't equal hit probability.  Are you on crack?

Velocity is more important than BC?  Again let's put down the crack pipe.

BC is what let's you hang onto velocity.

There's this thing called wind drift.

Even at 200 yards the hit probability of the 75gr. bullet is 40% greater, due to the higher BC.

View Quote
Your animosity towards 6.8 projectiles is retarded. When you're starting from scratch you can have a great bc in a .277 projectile.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how many bodies it will go through.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is this time. The NGSW is happening no matter how bad the guns are, this is happening.

@GS5414
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joglee thread

M4 isn’t going anywhere
It is this time. The NGSW is happening no matter how bad the guns are, this is happening.

@GS5414
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is no ammo currently that offers 3,000+ fps from a 16" barrel that uses a 6.8 projo, and also weighs 30% less than 7.62x51.
View Quote
So just chamber a Mk48 in it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

6.8 on the whole sucks.

BC doesn’t equal hit probability.  Are you on crack?

Velocity is more important than BC?  Again let’s put down the crack pipe.

BC is what let’s you hang onto velocity.

There’s this thing called wind drift.

View Quote
There is an unlimited supply of ignorance, but only a finite time before I have to get up in the morning.

If you want think that a few thousanths of an inch of bore matters so greatly or that the bullets currently on the market matter when they are designing new ones for this specific use, I don't give a shit.

If you think a BC difference of 10% or even 20% makes any difference to hit probability in an infantry weapon you probably aren't worth discussing anything with.  The minor variables are overshadowed by the major.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I suspect that going to an all copper bullet may be part of the reason for the move to 6.8mm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your animosity towards 6.8 projectiles is retarded. When you're starting from scratch you can have a great bc in a .277 projectile.
View Quote
Not at all.  It’s just math.

Looks like the army is going with a 130 something grain bullet in 6.8mm.

I can tell you the BC compared to even a 120 something grain 6.5mm bullet is going to suck.

I don’t like low BC bullets.  Why would you want a lower hit probability when you can have a higher one.

This whole idea by the army is retarded on so many levels.

Soldiers can’t carry enough ammo anyway with .308 based cartridges.

Large frame ARs are too heavy for even soldiers in the best shape to carry.  CAG even gave up trying to carry all .308 ARs after something like a week.

The biggest thing is most people can’t shoot a large frame AR worth a shit.

A much more effective idea would be an M855A1 type or monolithic type projectile in 6mm or 6.5mm worked into something like Grendel or other similar type cartridges that will fit in a small frame AR.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#25]
How did they deal with the Garand?

They were actually "men" back in them days.
Said the recoil tickled. On the the shooting range all you heard was gunshots, giggling, and ping.

They really wanted to shoot the Garand one handed so they could dual wield them like they were pistols, but that wasn't the "Army way".
A shame how bureaucrats trying to fight the last war hamstrung our guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#26]
joglee needs to add a poll so we can take bets on whether or not this is going to actually happen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How did they deal with the Garand?

They were actually "men" back in them days.
Said the recoil tickled. On the the shooting range all you heard was gunshots, giggling, and ping.

They really wanted to shoot the Garand one handed so they could dual wield them like they were pistols, but that wasn't the "Army way".
A shame how bureaucrats trying to fight the last war hamstrung our guys.
View Quote
Recoil mitigation has zero to do with comfort.

And a squad of them would get absolutely smoked by a modern infantry squad. Now matter how many manly depression era haybales they bucked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
knights armament is my gal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry your gal lost.
knights armament is my gal
I don't think they have the production capacity and they're busy feuding with gun bunnies on IG.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When have you ever been right about one these assertions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GS5414
When have you ever been right about one these assertions?
Did we ever get our 7.62 battle rifles to defeat the body armor?
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sorry you don't like mathematical answers.

6.8mm is the wrong answer.  6.5mm is a better answer.

If you dispute this show us mathematically how you arrive at your conclusion.

Why would someone want a bullet with a significantly reduced hit probability.

BC and hit probability are directly proportional.

Everything is irrelevant if you miss the target.  This is a .270-08, not a 155mm with air burst.

Let's be honest guys, this is a money making / government sponsored welfare case.

There is an off the shelf superior option in 6.5 CM or .260, but that will make WAY less money.

This is a case and point of the wastefulness greed and stupidity of government.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The “muh 6.5” crowd sees 6.8 and starts foaming at the mouth. The 6.8 appears to be a lead free bullet, so by it’s very nature will a completely different design than the 6.8 SPC and obviously have a higher BC for the same weight as the SPC. With the higher chamber pressures, barrel life becomes a concern as well as overall length for magazines. Not everything is about BC dick measuring contests.

Everything is irrelevant if you miss the target.  This is a .270-08, not a 155mm with air burst.

Let's be honest guys, this is a money making / government sponsored welfare case.

There is an off the shelf superior option in 6.5 CM or .260, but that will make WAY less money.

Following your logic, why not a 6mm of some sort? Where does it end in terms of chasing BC vs functionality? This is a round that will be used in  belt feds and in rifles with barrels almost as short as the recommended gas system length of a 6.5 CM.

In all of your exasperation, you have  proved my point, you are so fixated on BC that you can’t even comprehend that other constraints such as barrel life, chamber pressure, and reliability in these platforms force the caliber to shift in a direction will meet the desired terminal performance AND function properly. We are not talking bolt guns and semi autos.

Get your class 3 license, build your unicorn full auto 6.5CM that meets the requirements of the solicitation, and then we can talk “math”. Otherwise, stop the “6.5 or die” BS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is certainly retarded enough to have the kind of legs needed for DOD to burn all sorts of funds on for years before the program implodes.

In for the lols.
View Quote
Once I realized it was my money they were wasting, it ceased to be funny.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What happened to the cased telescoped round?
View Quote
Probably viable for a LMG but accuracy would probably suck ass out of a rifle if you ever intended to exploit these gains in effective range that are being sought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like we finally get to see the guns and ammo that will be replacing the M4 and M249.

Remember the ammo must achieve Level IV armor penetration at 600M, which explains why it's a 6.8x51 round. The new ammo performs similarly to .270 win short mag.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/05/23/sofic-19-sig-sauer-exhibits-next-gen-squad-weapons/

The M249 replacement is pushing 3,000+ fps out of a 16" barrel.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/1E700916-3374-4287-A2E9-4D00755B9C5E-440x150.jpeg

The carbine is pushing 2,800+fps out of a 13" barrel.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/A042D878-1966-4149-B029-B401C1B55C42-440x150.jpeg

Ammo size, 6.8x51.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/E4B304B7-9459-41FF-9BC8-60B64842E9F2-440x145.jpeg
View Quote
These are just 2 of many submissions for the competition for unobtanium.

8.1lbs (empty) .270 WSM enlarged AR10, piston-operated, 13" barrel carbine is a non-starter for Infantry issue.

The volumetric increase in ammo bulk for the SAW is also a non-starter.  No matter how light it is, you can't carry enough if it is larger and takes up more space on a limited soldier equipment space metric.

Why you would openly state that these are what will replace the M4 and SAW makes no sense, since we haven't seen any of the other submissions, and the premise that any of the submissions will actually be adopted.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't wearing armor, for one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm. That's sexy

I want a nice AR in that caliber. The Army needs to hurry up and adopt/standardize this so it's widely available.
View Quote
You can built an AR10 in .270 WSM if you want.

Unless you have the unobtanium barrel alloy, throat life will be maybe 200rds if you shoot more than 50rds a range session, and the gas port will take a beating until it erodes rapidly.

Muzzle blast on a 13" .270 WSM will be like cranking off a 16" .338 LM with tank brake next to your face.

The suppressor required for the muzzle exit pressure will need to be made from some type of aerospace-grade ablative materials and will be unusually heavy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
hang in there

maybe SIG will buy HK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

joglee thread and no mention of HK?
hang in there

maybe SIG will buy HK
I can’t think of anything worse.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Can anyone explain why they didn't just go with already established cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x47, or 7mm-08?   Why go to the effort and expense of developing a cartridge that won't have any really appreciable ballistic advantage over established cartridges.

Sure, they would need a suitable bullet, but developing a bullet is 50% easier than developing a bullet AND cartridge.  Plus manufacturers are already set up to make any of the 4 cartridges I mentioned in the first paragraph.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They’re finally back to focusing on a peer/near-peer threat.  Shooting at haji isn’t as much a worry as someone outfitted with Russian gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So basically a MK48 and AR10 shooting a special high velocity AP round.

belt fed might have a future but I doubt the M4 is going anywhere. Especially since our current enemies wear sheets instead of body armor.  
They’re finally back to focusing on a peer/near-peer threat.  Shooting at haji isn’t as much a worry as someone outfitted with Russian gear.
We don't train or plan to fight near-peer infantry with infantry.

Russian Infantry is heavily motorized or mechanized anyway.

Shoulder-fired weapons outside of sniper rifles have an extremely limited role, if any, in a mechanized war.

We don't fight mech with mech like we did in DS anywhere near as much, given the growth in air power net-centric warfare.

Look at the model of what happened with the Euphrates River incident in Syria between SF/Kurds and a Russian Merc battle group that had 2 armored battalions, artillery batteries, and engineer battalion.

They got JDAM Arc-Lighted for 6 hours as soon as they fired the first artillery salvo, and were brutally decimated for sport by B-52H, F-22A, F-15E, USMC Arty with Excalibur PGM rounds.

The idea of dismounted infantry closing with and destroying other dismounted infantry is a pipe dream fairy tale, and hasn't been a reality for ages.  Artillery has always factored heavily in that type of fight dating back to the Napoleonic era at the latest.

The only operations dismounted infantry have a place are:

* COIN
* Defense for FOBs and air bases in a conventional strategic foothold build and sustain campaign
* JRDF for regional smack-downs on dictators or hostage rescue crises (Grenada and Panama)

Show me the logical scenario where dismounted infantry have gotten to within small arms range of motorized Russian infantry units.

Ukraine? Nope.  We see any build-up way in advance and appropriately allocate airpower sorties to deal with that.
Estonia?  Same thing.
North Korea? Empty IOTV copies made from Kordura
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That’s a really good point.  What, 4 25rd mags in a shingle instead of 6 30s, at the same weight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG wasn't the vendor doing cased telescoping ammo, that was another vendor.  Each vendor is responsible for coming up with their own solution to the problem of pushing the government specified projectile to the desired velocities while reducing cartridge weight.

While it may be necessary, I'm not sure going with a 7.62x51 sized cartridge will work to replace the M4, due to reduced ammunition capacities.
That’s a really good point.  What, 4 25rd mags in a shingle instead of 6 30s, at the same weight?
The cartridge is fatter than 7.62 NATO.  The case is like a .270 WSM.

Another vendor submission is using a hybrid polymer/metal case that looks awfully like a .270 WSM.

Good luck passing off a larger magazine, cartridge, and reduced basic load even compared to 7.62 NATO as a replacement for the M4.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wasn't the velocity supposed to be higher?
View Quote
Yes.  It was originally supposed to be 3400fps.

To do that, you have to exceed 24" barrel .270 WSM by about 200fps for most loads.

They wanted to do that from a 16" barrel...

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain why they didn't just go with already established cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x47, or 7mm-08?   Why go to the effort and expense of developing a cartridge that won't have any really appreciable ballistic advantage over established cartridges.

Sure, they would need a suitable bullet, but developing a bullet is 50% easier than developing a bullet AND cartridge.  Plus manufacturers are already set up to make any of the 4 cartridges I mentioned in the first paragraph.
View Quote
Becaue no existing cartridge met the velocity minimum out the barrel length specified using the Army projectiles. Its much easier to just do a clean sheet design all around.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If this goes anywhere, I can see 6.5 Creedoor becoming a thing of the past.

In fact...why didn't they just make a new projectile for 6.5CM?

EDIT: I guess this is going to become the new thing for the AR-10?
View Quote
We already have .270 WSM and it's nowhere near as popular as 6.5CM, even with a 5yr head-start.

SOCOM adopted 6.5CM for the Sniper Support Rifle and Assault Machine-Gun, smart ideas.

The big Army is staring into 26" barreled .270 Weatherby Magnum wannabe performance from a 13" carbine.

The main benefits I can see coming from the program are developmental alloys, processes, and the optic.

Given the history of other failed Army programs to replace the M16 and M4, we usually end up with one or 2 peripheral things that don't represent the core design of the submissions.  Examples include:

6mm SAW Program begat the later SAW Program of the 1970s, which resulted in the FN Minimi being adopted
ACR Program of the 1980s resulted in the evolution of the SOPMOD stock, ACOG, and Elcan optics.
XM8 resulted in...nothing

If history is an indicator, the chances of this program being adopted, much like the SPIW, ACR, HK XM25 dual weapon, or XM8, are very low.

What is going to happen is that one or more of the ancillary systems will catch wind, like the optic.

I do see a very high chance for the NGSAW to be adopted though if they have an 11.25lb SAW, but the cartridge has an uphill battle to face.

It would make a lot more sense to do it in SOCOM's 6.5CM with the already available AP 6.5mm projectiles, with the unobtanium barrel alloy they've been developing.

The enlarged AR10 Sig piston carbine will be frowned upon for everyone that's used to an M4 weapon weight/size profile.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
New concept... don't bother changing barrels with an LMG, when the barrel is too hot toss the whole thing in the trash, you're past it's service life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But are they made in India?
New concept... don't bother changing barrels with an LMG, when the barrel is too hot toss the whole thing in the trash, you're past it's service life.  
Have you been around some SEALs lately, because that's what they do basically.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well vs soldiers armed with bolt-action rifles.

USMC and US Army units carried a mix of M1 Rifles, M1 Carbines, and Thompson SMGs, along with M1919 GPMGs for support by fire, as well as mortars.

The Sturmgewehr was a far superior individual shoulder-fired weapon for riflemen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If a combat arms soldier can't handle it, they can be kicked out or transferred to a soft skills job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a combat arms soldier can't handle it, they can be kicked out or transferred to a soft skills job.
Show me your CQM scores on a shot timer with an enlarged AR10 carbine chambered in .270 WSM please.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The “muh 6.5” crowd sees 6.8 and starts foaming at the mouth. The 6.8 appears to be a lead free bullet, so by it’s very nature will a completely different design than the 6.8 SPC and obviously have a higher BC for the same weight as the SPC. With the higher chamber pressures, barrel life becomes a concern as well as overall length for magazines. Not everything is about BC dick measuring contests.
View Quote
If you want to maintain impact speed sufficient for armor penetration at 600m, you need all the BC you can get, especially with a 13" barrel.

The ideas I see pouring into the concept behind the cartridge are one of the dumbest set of assertions and premises I've seen in a small arms program to-date, and I've been eyeball-deep in studying or participating in Army small arms programs most of my life.

They really believe they need .277" projectile diameter because 6.5mm can't penetrate the armor they want to penetrate at 600m.

That is one of the program assertions and premises...

Their metric for achieving 600m penetration is based on a 3400fps mv with a 125gr .277" lead-free M855A1-type projectile with a lower BC than the existing 6.5mm 855A1 projectiles.

So they start with a false premise of needing to defeat dismounted Russians wearing body armor with conventional infantry soldiers in an infantry-on-infantry duel.

Then they make a false assertion that only .277" diameter can achieve this when fired at 26" barreled .270 Weatherby Magnum +P velocities.

Then they spec the carbine to have a 16" barrel.

Then they spec the carbine to have a 14" barrel.

Now it's a 13" barrel....
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If only the army was already able to manage 1000s barrels that needed replaced at less then 1000 rounds...
View Quote
Replacing barrels on sniper systems has already been a choke-point for a very small fleet of rifles in the Sniper Schools and Scout Sniper/Recon Platoons.

I'm sure big Army with modern high school and college grads will do a bang-up job of whatever carbines and rifles are in inventory going forward, especially with Recruiting's emphasis on applicants from LA and NY.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The submission cartridges I have seen and handled personally looked like .270 WSM to me.

The base was over .500" in diameter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Replacing barrels on sniper systems has already been a choke-point for a very small fleet of rifles in the Sniper Schools and Scout Sniper/Recon Platoons.

I'm sure big Army with modern high school and college grads will do a bang-up job of whatever carbines and rifles are in inventory going forward, especially with Recruiting's emphasis on applicants from LA and NY.
View Quote
Some how we manage to do it on tanks, with a barrel life in the hundreds of rounds, but its impossible on rifles.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top