User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that stock made for lefties?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quick change barrels on rifles is dumb. 

ETA- The MPAR 556 is cheaper as well. Though this rifle has the advantage of looking "modern", though looks kinda cheap. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much, unless you have a very specific need. I'm pretty meh about this whole thing.

If I want to change calibers, I can build another upper for well under their conversion cost.

And then I'd wonder why I don't just make another lower and have two rifles.

And then I'll have two rifles in two calibers, like I should have done in the first place.

IMHO it'll take a lot more innovation than a cookie cutter tactiplastic whateveritis to knock the AR off its perch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
An AR-18 should be inexpensive,except that economy of scale has made the AR dirt cheap and nearly impossible to design,test,tool up and produce an alternative for less.
View Quote
This is true, and I agree it's nearly impossible to make an as good or better rifle for less than a decent AR from an effects on target view. 

But from a features view, specifically a gas piston rifle that can fire from a folded stock, it becomes easier to compete price wise. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Also also... not hating on the rifle itself, I think it's awesome that people are using the -18 patter (CZ Bren, SCAR, others) espercially getting closer to the origional design like this. 

I just don't like that the MARKET has driven certain features.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a couple of original AR-180's. In no way does this resemble an AR-180.
View Quote

The BCG does though.

AR-15 bolt.
Square carrier.
Dual guide rods with springs on the guide rods.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks super cheap and the stock especially looks terrible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA- The MPAR 556 is cheaper as well. Though this rifle has the advantage of looking "modern", though looks kinda cheap. 
View Quote

MPAR weighs 1lb more though.

As for the quick change barrel, its there for the caliber swaps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I like this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
all that effort and they can't figure out how to properly mount a sling on the thing when the stock is folded.........
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can build a beater AR for sub $500, a decent one for $800 and a really nice one for $1200. This thing better be amazing at that price.
View Quote

This.

It's neat, but with the SCAR, ACR, XCR, ARX-100....etc, on the market with similar features I just don't see what makes this thing worth the coin.

Drop it down under $1,000 and maybe we can talk, but even then it's kinda......meh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a few minor quibbles.
- the side folding stock...can it be replaced?
- it looks a bit odd
- charging handle is a bit too far forward for my liking

Hopefully it will be imported up here though!

Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe they'll learn from every other rifle with a QCB feature, and sell caliber conversion kits as well different barrel lengths from day-1. LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The portion of the stock where I would be getting my cheekweld (right handed shooter, so left side of stock) looks to be a very thin, and sharp, section. It looks very uncomfortable. Less comfortable than an underfolder AK stock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
all that effort and they can't figure out how to properly mount a sling on the thing when the stock is folded.........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The solution to that issue is to ditch the folding stock.
Folding stocks are gross.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The portion of the stock where I would be getting my cheekweld (right handed shooter, so left side of stock) looks to be a very thin, and sharp, section. It looks very uncomfortable. Less comfortable than an underfolder AK stock.

Hopefully it's not integrated into the lower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
....someone just re-invented the ACR...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
....someone just re-invented the ACR...
View Quote

Better than buying a Remington product.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If they can get it for $1,200 in gun shops and have the caliber and barrel conversion available, could we be looking at the rifle to unseat the AR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#19]
More pics (TFB)

I don't particularly like how the upper is seated in the polymer lower, it seems bulkier than it could be and looks odd.
And the stock.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they can get it for $1,200 in gun shops and have the caliber and barrel conversion available, could we be looking at the rifle to unseat the AR.

Here I thought the 416 would unseat the AR...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, looks a bit unfinished
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sortofwant.jpg

Yep, looks a bit unfinished

According to the Skeli guys at SHOT, it's still a prototype.

The finished product will have a more sturdy lower, probably aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Extended handguard would block your access to the gas block, which you need to gain access to clean the gas plug and piston and op rod.

You either go the HK route and make a removable, return to zero handguard to access the piston...or you make a short foreend and make access to the piston easy through front removal.
View Quote

You can make a cutout in the handguard so that it's accessible. See the SCAR Mk20 for an example.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Left handed AR-180 owner/fan here.

Get it under 1000$ and maybe we'll talk.

A solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The AR-18 doesn't need R&D and a quick change caliber conversion shouldn't weight 2 lbs.

At least you identified the problem.  We still hold Colt and these other companies to a gold standard, when nothing has changed in 40 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It costs money to do R&D and make a modular platform that can accept .300, 5.56, 6.5, and 6.8, While being 6.8lbs.

Seriously $1,400 MSRP will likely be $1,200 street price, that is in range with BCM and Colt rifles.

The AR-18 doesn't need R&D and a quick change caliber conversion shouldn't weight 2 lbs.

At least you identified the problem.  We still hold Colt and these other companies to a gold standard, when nothing has changed in 40 years

Well, let's see your competing design that does all of that while weighing less and costing less. Also lol at your assertion that no R&D is required.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Am I blind? Where is the bho/bolt release?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Sort of cool.
Not a fan of the polymer lower, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]
That stock is fugly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Am I blind? Where is the bho/bolt release?
View Quote

Prototype doesn't have one.

Unknown if the final product will.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Too short of a handguard for that long of a barrel.
View Quote
Longer = heavier
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#29]
$1,400 and affordable do not belong in the same sentence.

Still a sharp looking rifle.  Would shoot it
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought the AR18 was select fire.  I had a 180 and really didn't like it at all. Sold it no regrets. This one looks nicer though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Prototype doesn't have one.

Unknown if the final product will.
View Quote
Well that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quite a nice wet dream you are having there!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A modern AR-18 should be sub 5lbs and cost $600.

SA should have done the right thing and not put out a me-too AR after decades. They should have reintroduced the AR-180B with an aluminum lower and a folder.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Sub 1k, change the stock out and I would buy one for the heck of it especially a pistol version to SBR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting.

To to me it looks like the result of a SCAR and CZ 805 had a weekend fling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd fuck that fat girl. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]
With the other pictures that thing is ugly.  I was waiting on quick change new gen wunder weaopons to come down in price now I have SBR ARs and don't care. #oldgrumpyguy
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd rather that someone would build an aftermarket AR-180B upper kit that you could assemble with your choice of AR barrel and handguard.  Such a thing + NODAKSPUD AR-180 lower would equal pure sex.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw this yesterday.  It looks interesting, I generally like unusual rifles.

They do need to be careful about "affordable" and "$1450" being put together.  To most people, that's not a combination that makes sense.  Compared to a SCAR-16S at $2500 or whatever they go for now, it may be "affordable" but a lay person is going to think about a mid-grade AR around $800-$900 as affordable.  I suspect everyone would have bitched if the ACR launched at Magpul's original $1500 guesstimated price too.

The design is interesting, some elements of the AR-18/180 present which indicates it could be a reliable design.  Stock is cheap looking, which at their price point won't fly.  It looks like it takes AR grips, which would be nice given the ubiquity of them.  Their choice looks like an awkward grip angle.  Is that the BCM Gunfighter?  Yuck.  May as well throw on the Stark "I broke my trigger guard ears" Grip of Maximum Shame.

I like the idea of caliber change, I'd love to try something like this in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC, but they need to make sure they test magazine compatibility and reliability.  Caliber change isn't as easy as it always sounds, if you take a look at the time it took for IWI to sort out the .300 BLK Tavor and the fact that Beretta and Bushmaster both have only released 5.56mm barrels for the ARX and ACR respectively.

I'll be watching them for sure, and I wish them success on the project.  It's going to be a lean year for firearms without the Zero Hype Machine looming over us, but maybe the Not-an-AR market will fare better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like what the Masada should have been...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#40]
If they made a length-adjustable stock, shut up and take my money.

As it is, keep talking, I'm counting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate the stock (looks uncomfortable for right handed folks) and the handguard (way too short). When they fix those items I'll be interested.

ETA: Just read it has no BHO/release. I'm out. It's not ready for prime time if it is released like that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A modern AR-18 should be sub 5lbs and cost $600.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  From a marketing and demographic aspect a new 5.56mm rifle is gutsy.  The same new rifle in the $1,500 range is very gutsy.  Standard ARs have only multiplied and the prices keep dropping.  For under a grand you can get a nice mil-spec M4gery that will last a lifetime (minus wear from mag dumps).  There will always be a few sales of novelty (non-AR) rifles but how many will that be?  The commercial AR has reached a peak in its evolution: its now extremely reliable (knowledge, metallurgy, some aftermarket parts, new magazines), extremely affordable and they're everywhere.  There's almost no sensible reason to go with any other rifle here in the US.

If it were my company I would try and offer a few things: (1) a replacement upper receiver compatible with any mil-spec lower but essentially would be like an ACR/Massada upper, (2) a replacement lower with advancements like removable mag well, integral BAD lever and is compatible with any mil-spec upper but really goes well with my ACR-ish upper above, and (3) offer either the whole rifle, just the cool lower and also just the cool upper.  Three ways of winning.  If people don't buy the whole cool rifle then perhaps they'll buy the cool upper or lower by themselves then at least you're still in the AR game and minimizing your risk.
View Quote

This.  These folks were smart to keep AR bolts, AR grips, and AR FCS.  Need to keep AR bbl, forend, and AR gas block compatibility - ambi AR lower, folding or collapsible stock, AR 18 type bolt carrier & piston in proprietary upper that fits standard AR lowers.

A new rifle that costs nearly as much as building FOUR ARs has a tough row to hoe.

Faxon did great engineering w/ the ARAK upper - but it takes proprietary bbls.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm disappointed that the Polish Radom MSBS seems to be on hold. It has essentially AR-18 internals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Intriguing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#47]
It's a good thing it's cheap (for a tactical rifle that isn't another fucking AR), because that's one fucking ugly rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#48]
.308 with dpms pattern mags and I am in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

If $100k Free College education is not a wet dream for libs, why can't we get in some.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe one day some brilliant scientist will figure out how to match colors.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top