Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I just don't see all the hype for quick change barrels and caliber conversion kits. 
If there was as much of an actual demand for it, as there is people just wishing, there would be more of a market. 
As is, QC barrels and caliber swaps either sell low volume or don't get put out, but the base rifles still sell well. 

Something like this, just make the barrel easy to change and take AR barrels, and have it take AR-15 bolts and it would be pretty money. 

eta- Further investigation shows that it indeed takes AR bolts. 

Skeli X11 Modular Carbine Overview
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Also... 

I want a 18" barrel version that can take a slidefire stock so I can use it for the bumpsaw project. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it, but I only $1000 like it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
it s interesting but even at $1200 it is like 2x as expensive as a basic milspec ar-15.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

However, how do you explain the left side ejection without an ARX 100 style bolt? The rotation, cam pin, and ejector dynamics are kinda set for 22.5 degrees and right side ejection with an AR15 bolt head.
View Quote
I google around until I find a review of it where someone explains it or shows pictures?  I didn't even know it was supposed to have left side ejection. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it s interesting but even at $1200 it is like 2x as expensive as a basic milspec ar-15.
View Quote
What is a $600 "mil-spec" ar? 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I like a lot of things about it, but I hate that stock and handguard.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe one day some brilliant scientist will figure out how to match colors.
View Quote

This would be cool, but I don't think its something I'll see in my lifetime.

And when it happens it won't be the work of one single, solitary scientist. I bet the likes of NASA and probably quite a few other multinational government science organizations will be required to make uppers and lowers be even close to color matched.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm more curious who is really building it.  Tooling up for new parts on a non standard design as a new company with no record I know of at least  is not a cheap endeavor making me guess it is all outsourced unless the guy running this gig has a large fortune he is looking to make smaller, or is extremely well connected.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
nevermind 6.8 lb. not bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
want
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

An AR built using fully milspec parts?

Mp15 is milspec and sub $600.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm more curious who is really building it.  Tooling up for new parts on a non standard design as a new company with no record I know of at least  is not a cheap endeavor making me guess it is all outsourced unless the guy running this gig has a large fortune he is looking to make smaller, or is extremely well connected.
View Quote
Or it's an offshoot of an aerospace company churning out guns on idle machines, like a few gun companies these days are. (How Kel-tec got started). 
 Also read that the name X11 represents the iterative process of making the  gun, as it's the 11th prototype. 

Uppers are buzzed out on a 5 axis according to a video I saw, and didn't someone here say the prototype lowers are 3d printed (and probably finished on the 5 axis?)

Plus the bolt and FCG are standard AR parts.  

So while not cheap... it's not like making a gun 20-30 years ago would have been. Rapid computer prototyping used to compile a file that can 3d print parts to test design function, using said prototyping to develop the files for cnc.  Lot easier it seems. (then again, I don't make guns, just have studied a lot of the history, and stay up on how technology for stuff is changing a little here and there) 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not. Not even close. Mil-spec is a marketing term, it doesn't mean much on civilian sale rifles. 

But that's not conversation for this thread. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, it's not. Not even close. Mil-spec is a marketing term, it doesn't mean much on civilian sale rifles. 

View Quote

You brought it up.

Maybe you can quickly enlighten us?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A modern AR-18 should be sub 5lbs and cost $600.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You brought it up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You brought it up.

Before Augee is summoned to lecture us, "Mil-Spec" is marketing, because no one can make a civilian rifle to exact military specifications, as those are the TDP to which Colt and FNH make rifles for the military, and only Colt is allowed to use those TDP as a blueprint for commercial rifle sales. And they specify a 14.5" M4A1 profile barrel, as well as a safe-semi-auto FCG, as well as the appropriate markings.

Anyone can claim their product is "mil-spec," but none of them are, as none of them have a select-fire FCG, and few have the proper barrel, since most use a 16" barrel, and not many use the proper gas port size.

Companies build commercial rifles to similar specifications as military rifles, and some build rifles to specs that exceed the military requirements, but they cannot legally use the actual Gov't TDP to do so. The TDP specifies more than just the materials and parts, it also specifies the manufacturing methods.

Colt LE6921 is the closest you can get to the actual TDP without it being a machinegun. Getting a LE6920 and swapping the upper to a LE6921 upper with an extended muzzle device pinned on is the closest you can get without making it a SBR.

This is the short version, without Augee's KFC recipe metaphor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Does it take AR15 parts? Can I put my own trigger in? If so, I definitely want!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have googled much.

In the shot show video the guy says he won't show the guts yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I google around until I find a review of it where someone explains it or shows pictures?  I didn't even know it was supposed to have left side ejection. 

I have googled much.

In the shot show video the guy says he won't show the guts yet.
gut feeling given it's design to use off the shelf AR parts I bet it's something simple like using a left eject AR bolt. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Am I the only one that thinks quick-change caliber kits are 101% useless? I can't think of any situation where that capability would be needed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that thinks quick-change caliber kits are 101% useless? I can't think of any situation where that capability would be needed.
View Quote
Nope. I mean, there can be utility found in it. 

But the marketing they use to push it is kind of retarded and preys of SHTFantasy a lot. 

FWIW watching video's on how the barrel on this rifle changes, I wouldn't call it "quick change" necessarily. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking too.

But you would have to be tricky with your cam pin control surface so it can work both ways. That will be interesting with the dual guide rods.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2100/yrjoy4/products/97/images/350/boltcarrierleft__50863.1363610149.1000.1000.gif?c=2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
gut feeling given it's design to use off the shelf AR parts I bet it's something simple like using a left eject AR bolt. 

That's what I was thinking too.

But you would have to be tricky with your cam pin control surface so it can work both ways. That will be interesting with the dual guide rods.

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2100/yrjoy4/products/97/images/350/boltcarrierleft__50863.1363610149.1000.1000.gif?c=2
Might be as simple as flipping the bolt upside down and having a second cam path and guide rod holes?    
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But the marketing they use to push it is kind of retarded and preys of SHTFantasy a lot. 

FWIW watching video's on how the barrel on this rifle changes, I wouldn't call it "quick change" necessarily. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only real usage I can think of is to change to a cheaper round for training (say I have a stash of 5.45 or 7.62x39) or a better round for hunting (6.5G/6.8SPC/whatever).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]
..."not going to be on the market for a few months"...

Translation = won't be on the market for a few years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only real usage I can think of is to change to a cheaper round for training (say I have a stash of 5.45 or 7.62x39) or a better round for hunting (6.5G/6.8SPC/whatever).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it runs steel, you can get Wolf 223 for about 21 cents per round, shipped. Same price as steel 7.62x39
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#29]
You could cut some costs and increase 'lego' appeal by doing the following

-Ditch the quick change BS on the barrel.
-If it uses an AR15 bolt, make it so that that it uses an unmodified AR barrel extension. This would open up the aftermarket significantly. Maybe I missed it and it does?
-The rear of the receiver needs to be changed to the 2 hole 10-32 pattern with a series of holes (2 to 3 sets stacked) This would allow all the modular stocks meant for AKs to mount, Plus allow for the mounting of an AR buffer tube.
-Lengthen the front of the mag well and use a block to set the mag well length. This would allow a lot of mag options. A wider magwell would help also but is more cost prohibitive. Not really a big deal overall now as they make an mag for almost any caliber you care about that fits the AR magwell.
-If they do produce it, sell the individual parts and make them available.  FAXON and SIG keep failing this simple point with their AR180 or AK style AR uppers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, but who actually does that enough to justify the added expense of support? 
It's the "Ford Ranger" argument. 
Everyone says they would buy a new Ford ranger. But when Ford rangers were available sales were too shitty to afford to make them anymore.

It feels like there's no margin in appeasing a primarily notional market.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like how they made the FDE one three different shades like the SCAR.

But seriously that looks pretty neat.
View Quote

Your SCAR is only 3 different shades?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#32]
It'll be real simple to find replacement parts/components for it one they stop production / go bankrupt......

Think Bushmaster 17S / Robinson M96 ...........
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Prototype=87% chance of never coming out - 12% chance of being made for a short time before going out of production leaving most of the parts to be unobtainium.  Hate to be negative but that's the reality of the situation.  If it was President Hillary then anything that goes bang and might be banned would sell but with Trump I don't see projects like this taking off.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Wake me up when they do a pistol and a .308 version.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wake me up when they do a pistol and a .308 version.
View Quote

Short-barrel version is already one of the prototypes, I think.

They'll have a pistol version, as well.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top