BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A lot of you guys were probably not even born yet, I was 8 when it was launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUugbcIE1I
View Quote
Kids.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw space lab on many nights. You could clearly see the solar array.
It also seemed to move very fast, faster than the international space station. But that was years ago, could be a memory issue.
I also remember the night it reentered the atmosphere and crashed in Australia.
 And it was bright, very bright.

I also remember watching the first moon landing. The entire family met at grandma's house crowded around a black and white Zenith TV with rabbit ears.
The world really did change that night. The next day "we were on the moon".
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember seeing it cross the night sky when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Skylab was huge for the time it was the largest space station till like the 90’s.

There were plans to launch several and hook them together.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]
There was no Skylab. I remember watching a tv show about an ex-nasa guy living in a trailer in the desert that said," it was all bullshit"
The radiation would kill people.
They never found the skylab and other events were staged to out spend russia.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait - we're supposed to watch the videos before commenting?  When did that change?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't a "disaster" - NASA didn't want to pony up and keep it in space.  They let it fall.

Did you watch the video, they are talking about the launch mishap.

Wait - we're supposed to watch the videos before commenting?  When did that change?

No shit. We're not even supposed to read the OP before commenting.

Does capnrob97 even GD, bro?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A lot of you guys were probably not even born yet, I was 8 when it was launched.

View Quote

A part of my job is to work in a lab that first assignment was test and inspect major components of skylab.

I believe most of the original project guys are deceased - BUT there is still a skylab sticker on the lab door, and some paperwork from the project around from back in the day and every once in a  while someone will ask - what is that about.  Many of them are too young to remember the the first space shuttle tradgedy let alone skylab.

I tell people - back in the day dudes with slide rules and cigarettes accomplished more than we ever will!

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
More Skylab

I doubt we will ever put man in space again on a shoestring budget.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe the last Saturn V launce got her into space. I watched her go up with my dad and uncle back in the day while holding my Neil Armstrong action figure ( I was 5).
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in the day (mid to late 70s) you used to be able to write to NASA and they would send you stuff.  I would get these massive legal envelopes stuffed with 8x10 glossy photos of Skylab and other missions plus a bunch of reading material.  Sometimes there were mission patches and pins in the packages.    It was a pretty cool thing to get all of that stuff sent to you as a little kid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Skylab was boring.

The shit sucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Skylab was boring.

The shit sucked.

Mir was more fun because you never knew what was going to go wrong with it especially in the latter years of its existence.  

The two Russians and one American on board the station are reportedly terrified beyond lucidity.

Among the groundbreaking experiments conducted on board Mir: a June 25 collision with a cargo craft that depressurized the Spektr module; last week's emergency power shortage, caused by a disconnected cable; and the periodic release of "dry ice" steam that simulates a shipboard fire. All have been deemed a huge success by agency heads.

"They are in a constant state of what aerospace scientists term 'mind-shattering terror,' frightened for their very lives," Russian mission director Vladimir Solovyov said. "And we have not even used the hull-mounted Alien puppet that taps on the window yet."

"We have also taken huge leaps in our understanding of the patterns created when one wets his pants in the weightlessness of space," Solovyov said. "The urine spreads out in an expanding sphere, something we did not expect."

Even the Onion poked fun at it: Onion Article on Mir
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe the last Saturn V launce got her into space. I watched her go up with my dad and uncle back in the day while holding my Neil Armstrong action figure ( I was 5).
View Quote

Yep, the last Saturn V ever launched (SA-513) carried Skylab. It was unmanned. The Saturn 1B was used to ferry the crews.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I still call the ISS "Skylab"

Old habits die hard
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Russian MIR collision

Wonder if vodka was involved.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I saw space lab on many nights. You could clearly see the solar array.
It also seemed to move very fast, faster than the international space station. But that was years ago, could be a memory issue.
I also remember the night it reentered the atmosphere and crashed in Australia.
 And it was bright, very bright.

I also remember watching the first moon landing. The entire family met at grandma's house crowded around a black and white Zenith TV with rabbit ears.
The world really did change that night. The next day "we were on the moon".
View Quote

"I always thought I would be alive to see the first man on the moon.  I never imagined I would be alive to see the last."

-Larry Niven
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Ordered a cool Skylab poster today, and a book on the solar observations they did.

Poster

Old school is best school

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember  a news report out of Australia about the time that SkyLab came down.
The news reported that one man called another "SkyLab" and a fight ensued.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember Skylab. I would have been 8 or so years old. Some company was selling insurance in case it landed on your house.
View Quote

I remember the hubbub when I was going to come back to earth.  We were out of town camping and I was sure it was going to land on our house.  LOL, yes I was quite young.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Not only do I remember, but I had been at the Apollo 11 launch on July 16, 1969... which just happened to fall on my birthday. I was in absolute love with the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions, exciting stuff.

A number of years ago, one of the space stations,satellites or something was making it's way back to earth. The weather was terrible, very cloudy. Hubs and I were outside and we had a break in the clouds right over our house. A HUGE (and I mean HUGE) fireball passed over our house toward the ocean. I must have said "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" 500 times, as well as laughing hysterically. It was such a shock. Whatever it was wasn't suppose to re-enter near us. I guess maybe a piece broke off and traveled farther than expected or something.  I never heard word one about it one the news. We must have been in a minority of people that saw it. For the life of me I can't remember what it was. I'm gonna have to do a little research.

We have a telescope, 12" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain, we watched as Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 smacked Jupiter. That was awesome as well. We were dragging people off our street to look through our scope to see it. A lot of them had no idea what we were talking about. Oddly that happened right around my birthday as well.

I love spacey stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I followed all the space missions when I was a kid.  Remember it well.

Sad days for me when we didn't return to the moon, when the Saturn V went out of use, and even sadder when they couldn't keep Skylab in orbit.  (But I'm of the opinion we should stayed on the moon with a lunar base, and expanded orbital operations.)

The Apollo-Soyuz mission was in 75 as well.
View Quote

the reason the could not keep it in orbit is:

1.  It was never meant to last as long as it did. It was essentially made up of old Apollo parts.
2. It was late when they realized "hey this is really working well"
3. A shuttle mission was designed to boost it into orbit but the shuttle program was delayed and they could not get up there fast enough.
4. America was bored with space at that point. For instance there was an interview for the book (below) where a guy a mission control was watching astronauts drive n the moon and the networks didn't even break from the daily soap opera show to cover it. He said "At that point he knew it was over."
There is a excellent book called Rocket Men that talks a bit about it
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mdar15manager/media/Motivators/really%20stupid_zps5xkovmtu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/Motivators/really%20stupid_zps5xkovmtu.jpg</a>

Even for a troll type post that was bad and very unimaginative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was no Skylab. I remember watching a tv show about an ex-nasa guy living in a trailer in the desert that said," it was all bullshit"
The radiation would kill people.
They never found the skylab and other events were staged to out spend russia.

<a href="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mdar15manager/media/Motivators/really%20stupid_zps5xkovmtu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/Motivators/really%20stupid_zps5xkovmtu.jpg</a>

Even for a troll type post that was bad and very unimaginative.

Total Bull - The radiation levels were elevated, in fact my lab studied the effects of radiation on materials and film - the only way the captured images back then! and film is sensitive to radiation.  I saw the same claims about manned missions to the moon - too much radiation is justification (partially) as to why it didn't happen - That is total bull, we measured it carefully many times before, during and after missions!!.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say they won...they're just in the lead at the moment.
Besides, we have shit exploring other planets and even outside the solar system.
The Russians have a cab that goes into earth orbit.

It will be nice to see American astronauts riding American rockets again.
Sometime.

I hope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And in the end, the Russians won the space race  

I wouldn't say they won...they're just in the lead at the moment.
Besides, we have shit exploring other planets and even outside the solar system.
The Russians have a cab that goes into earth orbit.

It will be nice to see American astronauts riding American rockets again.
Sometime.

I hope.

In a book I mentioned several years after the Apollo program ended a bunch of those guys got together for a meeting several days brainstorming etc... Neil Armstrrong said for out country to have to  line up.

1. was Peace
2. was a strong economy
3. Damn I can't remember

We have no had Peace since  1990 we just find crap to do all the freaking time. We are CONSTANTLY burning money through the military even when we've no reason we find shit to do. (As Madison said "they would") This is why we should not have a standing army.
2. Obvious
3. I'll add desire. We've no reason except "national pride." which is a find reason of itself but when you are BROKE its not enough.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://file770.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Welcome-home-skylab.jpg

/give NASA a target and the will never hit it
View Quote

I thought that stuff was hilarious - I had a hard hat with a bulls eye painted on the top of it. We also had a betting pool on where it was going to hit.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked on a simplified level detector system for the launch vehicle cryogenic propellant tanks, but changed jobs and left The Cape before launch. It was part of the "do it cheaper and better" philosophy NASA was adopting.

The umbrella fix was definitely a fast-track project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't a "disaster" - NASA didn't want to pony up and keep it in space.  They let it fall.

Did you watch the video, they are talking about the launch mishap.

Pretty sure watching the video first and then posting is actually a CoC violation.  Something about an unfair advantage, or something or other.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
The Apollo Applications program, IIRC, was to use existing spare modules to create new missions.  Pete Conrad and Al Bean were two of the guys who moved into this program during (and after) the lunar missions.  Skylab, the Orbital Rescue Vehicle, and the Apollo-Soyuz docking module were some of the end results.  One ORV was in place for Skylab and Apollo Soyuz, basically an Apollo capsule modified to hold five crewman.  It could launch with a crew of two atop a Saturn 1B and ferry back a Skylab crew that became stranded if their own Apollo capsule became compromised.  I think there was also a small shuttle-like rescue vehicle, as well as some vehicles based on the Gemini capsule.  Apparently there was a glide-landing capable Gemini as well, utilising a parafoil that was deployed through a slit track between the twin doors on the Gemini capsule.  

There was a slew of stuff that was supposed to fill the gap between the Apollo stuff and the shuttle program;  the shuttle delays are really what killed the space program.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In a book I mentioned several years after the Apollo program ended a bunch of those guys got together for a meeting several days brainstorming etc... Neil Armstrrong said for out country to have to  line up.

1. was Peace
2. was a strong economy
3. Damn I can't remember

We have no had Peace since  1990 we just find crap to do all the freaking time. We are CONSTANTLY burning money through the military even when we've no reason we find shit to do. (As Madison said "they would") This is why we should not have a standing army.
2. Obvious
3. I'll add desire. We've no reason except "national pride." which is a find reason of itself but when you are BROKE its not enough.
View Quote

This is the problem, and always the answer to our problems:

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]
During Skylab's days, they brought a bag of guppies. The "gen 1" guppies did not do well in microgravity, and swam every which way. Then the astronauts put the bag right against a dark panel, and the "gen 1" guppies took dark as down and swam parallel to the panel. Guppies being guppies, "gen 2" showed up, and they did like their parents, swimming parallel to the dark panel. The guppies then returned to Earth. The "gen 1" guppies remembered gravity and behaved normally, but the "gen 2" ones were disoriented. They were placed against another dark panel and were again ok. The "gen 3" guppies were just like the "gen 1", and did not need a dark panel.

I find this fascinating to this day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kind of like the Muslim outreach program?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the pdf of the solar observations I got for free pdf download, but the hardcover book in like new condition for $8 was hard to pass up.

Skylab is the forgotten mission, and the stuff is cheap.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muslim don't want to be reached.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I worked on a simplified level detector system for the launch vehicle cryogenic propellant tanks, but changed jobs and left The Cape before launch. It was part of the "do it cheaper and better" philosophy NASA was adopting.

View Quote

the guy who invented it got an award for it.  He really saved the program because it was too hot without it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I was in high school when it went up, out of school when it came down. Don't remember much about it though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was in high school when it went up, out of school when it came down. Don't remember much about it though.
View Quote

Yep, the forgotten mission.

Makes stuff cheap on eBay though, starting to get a Skylab collection going.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

the guy who invented it got an award for it.  He really saved the program because it was too hot without it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, wasn't a tree trimming tool, or something like one, part of the fix?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Just snagged a different Skylab book about the solar observatory cheap on eBay.

It was called the ATM (Apollo Telescope Mount)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Telescope_Mount
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember reading about Skylab in the 1970's in aerospace books I had as a kid.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qo0xuqPzKeE/T7LFguzZOQI/AAAAAAAADHI/JIUE_PmX0Tc/s1600/1974skylabamericas1stspacestation02.jpg
View Quote

I had the same book!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#43]
It was old school back then, no CCD cameras.

The astronauts had to do space walks to replace the film canisters from the solar observatory.

That white box is a film canister.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I got this book in today, hardcover, $8 off Amazon.

Lot's of cool stuff in here, the solar results from their solar observatory.

No one gives a shit about Skylab now, sad really.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got this book in today, hardcover, $8 off Amazon.

Lot's of cool stuff in here, the solar results from their solar observatory.

No one gives a shit about Skylab now, sad really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/IMG_0392_zpsjbcuelyw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/IMG_0393_zpsturvzzkd.jpg
View Quote

Skylab was cool in its own right. However, it and ASTP was kind of an anticlimactic end of the Apollo program.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I have to read the book to find out about that big blank spot in the middle of the Sun, I see it in several of the pics from Skylab.

Bad equipment? Interference?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was in HS working summer help for the street department the time it was coming down, somewhere. A car hit a big light pole and mangled it in a local church parking lot. I made a cardboard sign that said "Skylab has arrived" and stuck it in the pile before we went to lunch.
We came back and cleaned up the mess. Someone snapped a picture ( had to be a film camera , lol ) and it made a local newspaper as someone joking around. Gotta love stupid people.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#48]
It is a shame Skylab is remembered more for the reentry than the actual mission as our very first space station.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I always suspected there was a slight military aspect to the mission.  The same camera types that took pics of the sun could have easily been used to image the earth.  Just change the filter and point it the other way.  

The Soviets did manned imaging as part of their early space station efforts.  They even mounted a gun on one as an A-SAT weapon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top