BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's badass..

In my town (East Hampton, CT) there is a Cobra in front of the VFW.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What does it take to get a local VFW post anything like this, demilled armor, artillery, anything, probably not any airframe though.
View Quote

Archived thread
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=452777

If you are in the VFW or Legion look up your Post Operations Manual and it should have the "how to" in there.

The Legion Post in West Seattle has a WWI era howitzer. Data plate on the side reads: '1918 Dodge Bros'
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
All very cool!

But I'm also always more than a little sad, that these once proud war machines are now
just static displays.
I feel the same way at museums. Machines are made to be "alive" (in a way), and while it's cool to see them...
they lose something vital, just sitting there.

Tall Shadow

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All very cool!

But I'm also always more than a little sad, that these once proud war machines are now
just static displays.
I feel the same way at museums. Machines are made to be "alive" (in a way), and while it's cool to see them...
they lose something vital, just sitting there.

Tall Shadow

View Quote

If it wasn't for museumas keeping representative copies of these machines they'd have all rusted away or been turned into razor blades or artificial reefs  a long time ago, like all of their brethren.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Texarkana, TX has a surplus store with a F-111 sitting out front.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Cordele, GA right off of I-75

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
There's a few displays down here in AZ. Mainyl because the AMARC is nearby.

Gila Bend Municipal Airport, GIla Bend, AZ.

Inde Motorsports Ranch, Willcox, AZ.

I will have to drive around tomorrow to take pics and post them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Texarkana, TX has a surplus store with a F-111 sitting out front.
View Quote

That's an awesome place, he has a museum there too of his own collection....it is a must stop if you are passing through....
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive by this M60 every day driving my son to school.  The Prineville, OR armory is tucked back behind the municipal airport way off the main road.  No one sees it except for local residents and people driving out to the dump.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a small town near me that has quite a collection, they have let go with a few over the years, most notable was a F4U that was used in the series Black Sheep Squadrin, they still have a F86, Piascki H21, M3A1, M8, a bunch of Cold War era surface to air missles, a towed 40mm Bor Fors?  I need to get over and take pictures. It's crazy a town of 1000 or so?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]

That's in Macelona MI , been a few years since I have been through there tho.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I drive by this M60 every day driving my son to school.  The Prineville, OR armory is tucked back behind the municipal airport way off the main road.  No one sees it except for local residents and people driving out to the dump.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/brewthunda/imag0120.jpg
View Quote

Any idea when this picture was taken? That thing looks operational, the hatches weren't welded shut and they have a battery jump cart hooked up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the best air museums I've ever been to is the Tyler Historic Aviation Memorial Museum.  The planes are good for a small museum, but their memorabilia is awesome. Like, autographed photos of both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtis in one picture rare.  Plus, the only flying Mig17 in the US is based there.  I've got a great picture

And their WWII stuff is jaw-dropping.  The story they told us is a Tyler native was on the PACFLT staff in Hawaii as an intel guy.  He made three copies of every photo that crossed his desk--one for the Admiral, one for the files, and one for the footlocker he took home. The pics and documents they had were rare to unicorn-rare, to say the least.  Like Copy 2 of 2 of the Strategic Bombing Survey of the Pacific Theater of Operations (post-war survey of what we did right and wrong with the tactics and strategy of the air war in the Pacific) rare.  

Then there's the only Minuteman missile on static display not on a base or former base.  

(looks like crap, it's since been restored.)

Malmstrom AFB was the first Minuteman base.  They put the silos there VERY far apart, as they didn't know what the Soviets had for accuracy.  The wing there was so big (the size of West Virginia), that they envisioned Lewistown, Cut Bank, and Glasgow as remote squadron headquarters (that plan eventually changed).  No one really knows how the missile got there, except that the airframe itself is from 1969.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the best air museums I've ever been to is the Tyler Historic Aviation Memorial Museum.  The planes are good for a small museum, but their memorabilia is awesome. Like, autographed photos of both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtis in one picture rare.  Plus, the only flying Mig17 in the US is based there.  I've got a great picture

And their WWII stuff is jaw-dropping.  The story they told us is a Tyler native was on the PACFLT staff in Hawaii as an intel guy.  He made three copies of every photo that crossed his desk--one for the Admiral, one for the files, and one for the footlocker he took home. The pics and documents they had were rare to unicorn-rare, to say the least.  Like Copy 2 of 2 of the Strategic Bombing Survey of the Pacific Theater of Operations (post-war survey of what we did right and wrong with the tactics and strategy of the air war in the Pacific) rare.  

Then there's the only Minuteman missile on static display not on a base or former base.  

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vok5YTvUY2c/VWt14okMoFI/AAAAAAAAsiU/IxMdRi5kKEs/s1600/Lewistown*Missile.jpg

Malmstrom AFB was the first Minuteman base.  They put the silos there VERY far apart, as they didn't know what the Soviets had for accuracy.  The wing there was so big (the size of West Virginia), that they envisioned Lewistown, Cut Bank, and Glasgow as remote squadron headquarters (that plan eventually changed).  No one really knows how the missile got there, except that the airframe itself is from 1969.  

View Quote

Theres a minuteman on display at the Fargo air museum.  Ill have to see if i can find a pic of it in my mess.

that sounds like a cool place.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Theres a minuteman on display at the Fargo air museum.  Ill have to see if i can find a pic of it in my mess.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vok5YTvUY2c/VWt14okMoFI/AAAAAAAAsiU/IxMdRi5kKEs/s1600/Lewistown*Missile.jpg

Did not know that!  With North Dakota's deep involvement with the Minuteman (only state with two wings in it), I can see why Fargo would have one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did not know that!  With North Dakota's deep involvement with the Minuteman (only state with two wings in it), I can see why Fargo would have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant find the pic right now.  I may have to go take another.  I do know they had to pull a lot of strings and have a lot of patience to get it.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One of the best air museums I've ever been to is the Tyler Historic Aviation Memorial Museum.  The planes are good for a small museum, but their memorabilia is awesome. Like, autographed photos of both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtis in one picture rare.  Plus, the only flying Mig17 in the US is based there.  I've got a great picture  of my boys and I pushing out a flyable Mig17 (Randy Ball's plane) from their hangar.  He just happened to be leaving for an air show, and my boys were young, cute, and airplane junkies.

View Quote

Needed to finish the sentence in blue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the best air museums I've ever been to is the Tyler Historic Aviation Memorial Museum.  The planes are good for a small museum, but their memorabilia is awesome. Like, autographed photos of both Wright brothers and Glenn Curtis in one picture rare.  Plus, the only flying Mig17 in the US is based there.  I've got a great picture  of my boys and I pushing out a flyable Mig17 (Randy Ball's plane) from their hangar.  He just happened to be leaving for an air show, and my boys were young, cute, and airplane junkies.

I bet they liked that!

I am going to make my boys work a weekend this summer polishing a C-47 with a group of volunteers.  

The missile on display at the museum here is a Minuteman 2.  I will have to take some new pics of it.  

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2BE4_Minuteman_II_Fargo_North_Dakota

There is also a Minuteman on display in GF.  It is at the gate to GFAFB.  But technically not on the base.  
Even so,  My wife and I were still questioned by SP for taking photos.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Hate to piss in your Oatmeal. but that one is now gone..,

never mind, I now see hangers in the background, so it must have been moves from where it was along I35.

ETA, after consulting google maps, they were moved 0.62 miles south from were there "Used to be", right off of Heritage Parkway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since when?

I saw it last summer while passing through the cities on the way home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Back on track.

Here is my  boys flying a static Huey.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It pains me to see the tanks I drove, loaded, gunned and commanded on static display.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A stones through from my right now.. My old HS Auto Shop  teacher (Retired Army Bird) got these put in town for a static Display,  

http://www.ci.cloquet.mn.us/vertical/Sites/%7B77C3A693-7604-40A4-BB25-DF2131FEB671%7D/uploads/%7BE1DE0148-5299-4ABB-BA53-4BF5F54D8EFC%7D.JPG

It pains me to see the tanks I drove, loaded, gunned and commanded on static display.

Before I transferred downstate I had free run up at Ft. Drum.   They had a whole slew of tanks of the M48 pattern ready for the A10's.  It was sad and eerie to see the old tanks herringboned on the gated range road and tucked into the tree line on their last road march.   I took the opportunity to take a look through them.  When I was in the guard I was in a tank unit with M60A3's and even though I was a mortar man I'd been inside the M60.  Well those M48's were fricken tiny inside.  My fat ass barely went in the loader's hatch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Those are cool!  Thank you sir.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry it took a few days limaxray.  I went out this morning and grabbed a shot of the MMII at the air museum.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Sherman "Jumbo".  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Neat.  Second one is a Colt "Potato Digger "
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They have some nice armor in Calhoun, Ga. Was returning from Zombie Ops at Camp Sidney Dew when we rolled past it.

Not my pic:
http://military-vehicle-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2064.jpg

View Quote

Would you like to hear the story about that Sherman and how it came to be there?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Duluth Airport

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Awww man.  I would punch-rape a monkey to get a Walker or a Chaffee static display I could put in my front yard...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#36]
ANG gate Duluth.  

I took a pic with my camera and smiled for theirs.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Hell yeah!  That is bad ass.

There is a small town school near by that has a T33 in the school yard.  I haven't gotten that way to get a photo yet.  I have however seen it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Proctor Minn.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#41]
there's nothing odd about war memorials ever

go to winner SD down town there is a pedestal with a WW1 dough-boy on it  it has the names of every son of winner that died in WW1 . Winner had the highest loss rate per capita of any city in the US in WW1

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is that Ripley?
View All Quotes

Yes it is.  Rumor has it is that particular tank is one of 5 surviving Jumbos,  And was in the battle to liberate Bastogne.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
If anyone know where I can find a Skyraider for display, please let me know.  I have been looking for one to do a display in Houston for a while.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
there's nothing odd about war memorials ever

go to winner SD down town there is a pedestal with a WW1 dough-boy on it  it has the names of every son of winner that died in WW1 . Winner had the highest loss rate per capita of any city in the US in WW1

View Quote

I have never been to Winner SD.  I do know that the towns male population was decimated in WW1.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nikolaev, Ukraine.  It's a fairly small city..

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/Static%20Displays/DSCN0130_zpsboe24r7d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/Static%20Displays/DSCN0130_zpsboe24r7d.jpg</a>

This is down the road in Kershon.
<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/Static%20Displays/DSCN1699_zpsc2lm2hkc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/Static%20Displays/DSCN1699_zpsc2lm2hkc.jpg</a>

And this one is in Odessa..
<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/Static%20Displays/55%20007_zpsxqpjaec4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/Static%20Displays/55%20007_zpsxqpjaec4.jpg</a>
View Quote

whats the tank turret with two guns from? matilda? KV-V1 land battleship?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Marge made me fall in love with the P-38 when i was a kid. grew up keeping an eye on the refurb at KANE.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes it is.  Rumor has it is that particular tank is one of 5 surviving Jumbos,  And was in the battle to liberate Bastogne.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

First part is correct, second is not. That would be Cobra King which was until recently on outdoor display at Vilsek Germany. Now it's being restored and is in Fort Benning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#48]
DPMMN posted all the ones I was going to take pictures of.... except one! ill post when I go take it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DPMMN posted all the ones I was going to take pictures of.... except one! ill post when I go take it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

First part is correct, second is not. That would be Cobra King which was until recently on outdoor display at Vilsek Germany. Now it's being restored and is in Fort Benning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interestingly enough,  there are two Jumbo Shermans listed in Ft Ripley.  3083052 and 3082941
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top