BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smith and Wesson. Because you suck, and we hate you.
View Quote

because you cant read
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I now have no idea whats going on
View Quote

Then you should start hating on S&W. That's what the other clueless dipshits are doing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

oh yeah it's a [piece of shit,the only reason it works now is b/c he changed fucking everything on it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

oh yeah it's a [piece of shit,the only reason it works now is b/c he changed fucking everything on it

That sounds uncomfortable
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Like I said, they were intentionally holding key pieces of information in an attempt to sway popular opinion against Smith. That is the liberal thing to do. Good job SSVI.
View Quote

Tempest in a tea pot; this legal action has nothing to do with end users modifying their guns or having paying others do it for them.

Nor are they demanding that companies cease and desist from selling aftermarket parts.

Smith & Wesson is perfectly justified in taking this legal action to protect their trademark as well as for liability issues, since S&W would incur liability in the event of any injuries if it could be proven that S&W knew about these "M&P Dream Guns" and took no action, thereby giving it's implied consent to the guns in fact, being authentic Smith and Wesson products.

ARFcom protects it's trademark aggressively as well; it's a proper and entirely legitimate business practice.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
i don't like this one bit.. no sir i don't
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Like I said, they were intentionally holding key pieces of information in an attempt to sway popular opinion against Smith. That is the liberal thing to do. Good job SSVI.
View Quote

Copied from the article:

The demands are listed thusly:
These intellectual property and safety and quality concerns are extremely serious and demand your immediate attention. Accordingly, we demand that you:
1. Confirm in writing that neither you nor any third party will display the Infringing Product, or any similar product, at the 2016 SHOT Show or make any other commercial display or promotion of such Infringing Product;
2. Cease the sale of any firearm modified by you or any other third party that bears any Smith & Wesson trademark, including, but not limited to the S&W® Marks or the M&P® Marks;
and
3. Turn over to Smith & Wesson your inventory of the Infringing Product, or any Smith & Wesson product modified by you in the first instance that bears any mark owned by Smith & Wesson.
If we do not hear from you by January 5, 2015, Smith & Wesson will pursue its rights and remedies to the fullest extent permitted by law without further notice to you.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html#ixzz3v5HtSuN8
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tempest in a tea pot; this legal action has nothing to do with end users modifying their guns or having paying others do it for them.

Nor are they demanding that companies cease and desist from selling aftermarket parts.

Smith & Wesson is perfectly justified in taking this legal action to protect their trademark as well as for liability issues, since S&W would incur liability in the event of any injuries if it could be proven that S&W knew about these "M&P Dream Guns" and took no action, thereby giving it's implied consent to the guns in fact, being authentic Smith and Wesson products.

ARFcom protects it's trademark aggressively as well; it's a proper and entirely legitimate business practice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

I'm not so sure about that after reading their complaint. They are not only demanding the "offending" companies stop marketing a "Dream Gun", they're also demanding they turn in their S&W product!

Edit: Now, if I was Smith, I'd say "hey guys, you want to modify our guns? Okay, no problem - but WARRANTY VOIDED." That's it. And that companies modding guns in functional ways - lighter triggers,  that kind of thing - assume liability if issues arise from those mods.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

is there a clause when buying an m&p that says you can't alter it and resell it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plot thickens..... S&W "M&P Dream Gun" offered with altered parts and still exhibiting the S&W and M&P trade marks...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1934597_10204099808133979_4312216293917758907_n.jpg?oh=d6fb300a561bdee6dc4e2dfec65490de&oe=570D8406

They are selling a new pistol that they alter as a smith....... This actually probably is a direct violation of US trademark/patent law and Smith isn't really saying much about personally owned weapons modified after it seems. Or maybe this is only part of their grievance.

This should be inserted in OP.
Looks like Apex et al done fucked up

is there a clause when buying an m&p that says you can't alter it and resell it?

As a business, you can't upgrade firearms (new or used) for resale without a Type 07 FFL and engraving your name, city, and state on it as the manufacturer so 1) ATF is kept happy, 2) people know exactly what they're buying, and 3) owners know who to contact about warranty issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That will not go as planned for S&W
View Quote

Yup.  

Just another reason I want rid of my M&P9
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As a business, you can't upgrade firearms (new or used) for resale without a Type 07 FFL and engraving your name, city, and state on it as the manufacturer so 1) ATF is kept happy, 2) people know exactly what they're buying, and 3) owners know who to contact about warranty issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The plot thickens..... S&W "M&P Dream Gun" offered with altered parts and still exhibiting the S&W and M&P trade marks...

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1934597_10204099808133979_4312216293917758907_n.jpg?oh=d6fb300a561bdee6dc4e2dfec65490de&oe=570D8406

They are selling a new pistol that they alter as a smith....... This actually probably is a direct violation of US trademark/patent law and Smith isn't really saying much about personally owned weapons modified after it seems. Or maybe this is only part of their grievance.

This should be inserted in OP.
Looks like Apex et al done fucked up

this still has nothing to do with the letter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
They're not selling the "Dream Gun", its for display only to showcase features of aftermarket mods.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
From what I've read so far, the above seems correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I changed the OP and I think I'm understanding this now. It looks like Smith and Wesson have good reason to issue this cease and desist for that particular gun, and are not asking them to stop modifying customers guns. Have I got all this right?

From what I've read so far, the above seems correct.

so OP you've managed to stir up a lot of hatred against S&W, what are you going to do to fix it?

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're not selling the "Dream Gun", its for display only to showcase features of aftermarket mods.
View Quote

legally, that doesn't matter. They are still profiting off of it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that after reading their complaint. They are not only demanding the "offending" companies stop marketing a "Dream Gun", they're also demanding they turn in their S&W product!

Edit: Now, if I was Smith, I'd say "hey guys, you want to modify our guns? Okay, no problem - but WARRANTY VOIDED." That's it. And that companies modding guns in functional ways - lighter triggers,  that kind of thing - assume liability if issues arise from those mods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

That doesn't shield S&W against 3rd party liability suits in the event of injury, because in the event the company allowed the sales of the modified guns to go forward under their company  trademark, they would be deemed to be complicit in the sale of a hazardous/defective product.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Whoa everybody. The deal on this seems to arise over the M&P " Dream Gun" being touted by Brownell's and Apex -

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/apex-teams-with-top-custom-builders-on-brownells-dream-gun/
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First the Sigma, now this.
View Quote

Don't forget the integrated locks.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]
-nevermind-
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]
-nevermind-
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
So, to recap...

Part of a letter sent from S&W to companies who alter firearms and resell them got posted and everyone thought they were saying no more aftermarket parts, which is dumb.

Hooray reading.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. S&W started going downhill after their 3rd gen pistols, I owned 4 of them and still own 1. I bought a shield this spring (after a long debate over the shield or getting a G26 or the 43) that was total crap and took 2 trips back for them to fix it. Once I was satisfied that I could sell it in good faith I dumped it and went back to another Glock. Their customer service is crap and they don't give a shit. They're riding on their name and putting out a shit product. Their M&P's need a $100 upgrade to get a decent trigger? No thanks.... Google shield FTE and see all the issues with them or just look in the S&W forum.

Here is my story of my cluster with them...

S&W of today is nothing like the company or products they used to be. I don't ever see myself buying another S&W again

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'm going to wait until this proves to be real until I break out the torch and pitchfork.  A move like this from S&W makes zero sense... and they have been making pretty good decisions the last few years.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you there. S&W started going downhill after their 3rd gen pistols, I owned 4 of them and still own 1. I bought a shield this spring (after a long debate over the shield or getting a G26 or the 43) that was total crap and took 2 trips back for them to fix it. Once I was satisfied that I could sell it in good faith I dumped it and went back to another Glock. Their customer service is crap and they don't give a shit. They're riding on their name and putting out a shit product. Their M&P's need a $100 upgrade to get a decent trigger? No thanks.... Google shield FTE and see all the issues with them or just look in the S&W forum.

Here is my story of my cluster with them...

S&W of today is nothing like the company or products they used to be. I don't ever see myself buying another S&W again

Correct, S&W is a shadow of their former self. Their quality control is horrible, they lack of innovation is horrible, and their products are crap. Even the Performance Center today is a joke. What is a PC Gun today in terms of "quality and work" would have been a standard production gun back in the 3rd Gen Days.

Their revolvers of today are shit too. Two piece barrels, frame mounted firing pins, lawyer locks, MIM parts. And they have the nerve to charge $1,000 and claim that they're the same as before.  Plus when their used models actually go for more. That is whay I call a clue. When a used Model 686 goes for more than a new Model 686... that says a lot.

S&W is now being driven by Shareholders and yeah, they have to make a buck. But to make a buck, they cut a lot of corners.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I wonder what other manufacturers of "dream guns"  have sent similar C&D Letters
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
S&W suing someone?  

Damn I wish the Glock lawsuit bankrupted them....

not to mention S&W having to copy the 1911 & AR designs

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Could modifying the factory parts for resale be issue
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got some M&Ps that would beg to differ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a huge mistake for S&W.

The best way to "win" most anything is to make your idea the most ubiquitous thing around ... That means not suing people customizing your excellent guns, S&W.
Problem is S&W doesn't make excellent guns anymore.  

M&P is shit

Their revolvers are now shit

Even their Performance Center is shit

S&W stopped making good guns when they did lawyer locks, two piece barrels, and frame mounted firing pins along with ceasing production of the 3rd Gen Autos.

My M&Ps were shit... hence why I sold them. I really tried to love the guns and I'm a huge S&W fan but they sucked ass.

My .45 had a shit trigger and my 9mm had shit accuracy due to crappy sized barrel hoods on top of the shit trigger. Oh, the rust too.... so much for a Melonite finish that rivals Glock's Tennifer.

My 4506-1 is still going strong and so is my 5926. Both early 90s production guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, to recap...

Part of a letter sent from S&W to companies who alter firearms and resell them got posted and everyone thought they were saying no more aftermarket parts, which is dumb.

Hooray reading.
View Quote

yes, it was intentionally posted like that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Apex, Brownells, SSVI and blowndeadline should borrow a line from General McAuliffe. That letter only needs a one word response.

Nuts!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
S&W suing someone?  

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again
View Quote

FUCK READING! AMERICA!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, to recap...

Hooray reading.
View Quote

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]
My guess is S&W didn't have a problem with them making trigger parts but when Apex decided to heavily modify a M&P and market it as a "Dream M&P" with all the S&W and other logos intact then the legal department decided to send a letter. You can debate the business aspect of this decision but from a pure trademark and consumer confusion perspective they have a case.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My M&Ps were shit... hence why I sold them. I really tried to love the guns and I'm a huge S&W fan but they sucked ass.  

My .45 had a shit trigger and my 9mm had shit accuracy due to crappy sized barrel hoods on top of the shit trigger. Oh, the rust too.... so much for a Melonite finish that rivals Glock's Tennifer.

My 4506-1 is still going strong and so is my 5926. Both early 90s production guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a huge mistake for S&W.

The best way to "win" most anything is to make your idea the most ubiquitous thing around ... That means not suing people customizing your excellent guns, S&W.
Problem is S&W doesn't make excellent guns anymore.  

M&P is shit
Their revolvers are now shit
Even their Performance Center is shit

S&W stopped making good guns when they did lawyer locks, two piece barrels, and frame mounted firing pins along with ceasing production of the 3rd Gen Autos.

Could be your acidic sweat, APEX triggers work wonders, and S&W was making right on the 9mms with bad accuracy by replacing the barrel with the newer generation with a faster twist and tighter lockup.  Both my MP45 and MP9 are going strong and are plenty accurate with a good trigger and good sights.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Arfcom sells complete AR15.com rifles.  I don't see them suing people that modify them.  

The liability issue your're talking about is pretty weak.  Look into Subsequent Modification case law, and I don't think you're going to see an argument where failing to enforce a trademark gets liability back to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That will not go as planned for S&W
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FUCK READING! AMERICA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W suing someone?  

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again

FUCK READING! AMERICA!

I did read the legal complaint

did you COMPREHEND it?  Try THINKING about the following two demands and the impact

2. Cease the sale of any firearm modified by you or any other third party that bears any Smith & Wesson trademark, including, but not limited to the S&W® Marks or the M&P® Marks;
and

3. Turn over to Smith & Wesson your inventory of the Infringing Product, or any Smith & Wesson product modified by you in the first instance that bears any mark owned by Smith & Wesson.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html#ixzz3v5Op11Ah

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Yawn, something new for people to be outraged about.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Panic bought an Apex trigger
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

did you COMPREHEND it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W suing someone?  

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again

FUCK READING! AMERICA!

did you COMPREHEND it?

No you didn't. If you did, you would have seen that they are NOT suing anyone. Try again?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No you didn't. If you did, you would have seen that they are NOT suing anyone. Try again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W suing someone?  

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again

FUCK READING! AMERICA!

did you COMPREHEND it?

They issued a demand letter with a deadline of Jan 5th.  I was referring to PAST incidents when S&W either sued or was sued.  S&W should focus on making quality innovative firearms instead of suing and copying as they have done in the past.  

S&W still sucks ass
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That doesn't shield S&W against 3rd party liability suits in the event of injury, because in the event the company allowed the sales of the modified guns to go forward under their company  trademark, they would be deemed to be complicit in the sale of a hazardous/defective product.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith wouldn't necessarily know their product is being sold specifically to be modified... But that's not what you were referring to before, is it? Kindly let's not move goalposts.

This is a legal "CYA" maneuver that still comes across, well, badly in this day and age.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#41]
That letter is bullshit.  

It would be like demanding that an aftermarket wheel company not sell Toyota wheels,  or an exhaust company not sell mufflers for Chevys.   Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I know you lawyers live for this kind of sh*t, but it looks heavy-handed and petty to the rest of us.

Just so you know.
View Quote

just pissing in shoes. LoL
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Arfcom sells complete AR15.com rifles.  I don't see them suing people that modify them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

What if someone owned a small business and purchased the AR15.com rifle direct from Arfcom and decked it head to toe in Tapco, and resold it thru their business as the "ARFCOM Dream Rifle?"
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What if someone owned a small business and purchased the AR15.com rifle direct from Arfcom and decked it head to toe in Tapco, and resold it thru their business as the "ARFCOM Dream Rifle?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

The wheels came off your argument at "tapco".
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They issued a demand letter with a deadline of Jan 5th.  I was referring to PAST incidents when S&W either sued or was sued.  S&W should focus on making quality innovative firearms instead of suing and copying as they have done in the past.  

S&W still sucks ass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W suing someone?  

pot calling kettle black

fuck S&W yet again

FUCK READING! AMERICA!

did you COMPREHEND it?

S&W still sucks ass

What?

No, you were pointing out that S&W is suing someone, and that you wished Glock would have bankrupted them when Glock sued them for the Sigma.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know you lawyers live for this kind of sh*t, but it looks heavy-handed and petty to the rest of us.

Just so you know.
View Quote

I understand the legal side as well and feel the same way - even if S&W is legally 100% correct they fail in the PR war.  I don't even see the gun for sale.  To me it seems like it's for display purposes.  I'll vote for how I feel with my wallet and refrain from buying anything from S&W.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That letter is bullshit.  

It would be like demanding that an aftermarket wheel company not sell Toyota wheels,  or an exhaust company not sell mufflers for Chevys.   Ridiculous.
View Quote

No, it would be like demanding an aftermarket wheel company not trick out a Toyota and sell it as a new Toyota, or an exhaust company not trick out a Chevy and sell it as a new Chevy.

They're not forbidding people from selling aftermarket parts. They're forbidding them from modifying a factory gun and then selling it as a new M&P.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My guess is S&W didn't have a problem with them making trigger parts but when Apex decided to heavily modify a M&P and market it as a "Dream M&P" with all the S&W and other logos intact then the legal department decided to send a letter. You can debate the business aspect of this decision but from a pure trademark and consumer confusion perspective they have a case.
View Quote

You probably guess wrong.  But not everything is posted on the internet.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Actually, the CAI might work for denying the claim on the diffs...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is next? Ford sending tire shops letters to stop putting wheels and tires on F250's?

lol

Good luck with that.

GM pretty much told us changing our own oil will void the warranty

Friend of mine was denied warranty on his new Silverado's differentials because he put in a cold air intake.

That's specifically illegal. Ref: Magunson-Moss Act.  

Actually, the CAI might work for denying the claim on the diffs...
No, it has to be a related part that would cause the diff to fail.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top