Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad I traded mine. S&W is a bunch of nazis when it comes to replacement parts. IIRC their armory classes are more or less LEO/Military only.

I'll happily buy Glock, get an FN, or even a Canik.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tag
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That letter is bullshit.  

It would be like demanding that an aftermarket wheel company not sell Toyota wheels,  or an exhaust company not sell mufflers for Chevys.   Ridiculous.
View Quote

Read the full thread.

This isn't the equivalent of selling aftermarket wheels or exhausts.  This is the equivalent of Carroll Shelby doing what he did to the AC Ace, and then reselling it as a AC Ace without the permission or blessing of AC.  Instead, he properly worked with AC and created the AC Cobra.

S&W doesn't know if this modified gun is reliable and safe.  Lets pretend that a ton of people bought these $2,500 guns and it turned out to be a complete jam-o-matic.  Customers could think that it was S&W's fault because it had the S&W and M&P name and logo.  The bad reputation could harm S&W profits.*

*With the companies involved, I'm giving it a 99.87% chance the modified gun is reliable and safe, but S&W still has to maintain the integrity of their trademarks unless they want to lose it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Are we cutting our M&P's in half yet?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't blame S&W one bit in this case.

I wouldn't want some 3rd party extensively modifying and altering my product and then leaving my name on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wouldn't want some 3rd party extensively modifying and altering my product and then leaving my name on it.
View Quote

Hey, get out of here with your reason and logic! I've got my pitchfork all pointy sharp and I mean to react!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You probably guess wrong.  But not everything is posted on the internet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is S&W didn't have a problem with them making trigger parts but when Apex decided to heavily modify a M&P and market it as a "Dream M&P" with all the S&W and other logos intact then the legal department decided to send a letter. You can debate the business aspect of this decision but from a pure trademark and consumer confusion perspective they have a case.

They have no trademark claim to get them to cease making sears and springs. Apex marketing their own version of an M&P is a different case.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well fuck them then
View Quote

No kidding. If I put better tires than OEM or add in a performance chip to my vehicle, have I not done the same thing?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Things like this make me happy most gun owners don't get real involved in political issues. Most would make us look like idiots. This thread is a great example.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The letter says that they left the S&W and M&P on the slide after modification. Sounds like they (S&W) don't want their trademarks on any custom work that could possibly be viewed in tv or the interwebs of something happened. You can't alter the receiver markings so the frame markings have to stay. Just my take on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Well a big fuck you too to S&W.

I guess the S&W t-shirt I've been wearing will become a shop rag.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They have no trademark claim to get them to cease making sears and springs. Apex marketing their own version of an M&P is a different case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess is S&W didn't have a problem with them making trigger parts but when Apex decided to heavily modify a M&P and market it as a "Dream M&P" with all the S&W and other logos intact then the legal department decided to send a letter. You can debate the business aspect of this decision but from a pure trademark and consumer confusion perspective they have a case.

They don't have a claim. Focus on what is in bold.  People shouldn't assume that this is a new conflict that just started with the C&D letter.

And S&W has a way of making friends in the industry.  I hope the aftermarket abandons them and Brownells stops stocking S&W parts.  I'm sure that will be great for their product lines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No kidding. If I put better tires than OEM or add in a performance chip to my vehicle, have I not done the same thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well fuck them then

FFS. READ!

The original OP showed a letter thay intentionally left out information making it seem that S&W got piss about aftermarket parts being produced for their products.

After digging around, it has become apparent that the letter is about S&W issuing a C&D to companies who are extensively modifying a S&W M&P and calling it a S&W M&P. In the event something happens to the firearm, it would be led to beleive that any problems would be associated with S&W after a third party has torn it apart and replaced parts and cosmetic appearances.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

ever modify an AR??????
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]
To everybody complaining about guns being modified and sold, the C&D specifically relates to one (1, uno, singular) gun that is not for sale.  It is a one-off special made up for Brownells to promote their aftermarket products for the M&P at Shot Show in January.

Read: http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/apex-teams-with-top-custom-builders-on-brownells-dream-gun/

Again, it's not for sale and you can't buy it.

This is no different in my mind from car dealerships selling brand new brodozers with ten inch lifts, dubs, weird lo-pro MT's, giant light bars and plastic bolt-on fender flares.  It's still a Ford F150 on your registration, just like a customized gun is still transferred to you as a Smith & Wesson M&P on your 4473 under Section D.

A company insisting that you can't name their gun by the manufacturer and model once you change a single thing about it is completely asinine and beggars belief.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Things like this make me happy most gun owners don't get real involved in political issues. Most would make us look like idiots. This thread is a great example.
View Quote

TRUMP/SHLONG, 2016!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To everybody complaining about guns being modified and sold, the C&D specifically relates to one (1, uno, singular) gun that is not for sale.  It is a one-off special made up for Brownells to promote their aftermarket products for the M&P at Shot Show in January.

Read: http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/apex-news/apex-teams-with-top-custom-builders-on-brownells-dream-gun/

Again, it's not for sale and you can't buy it.

This is no different in my mind from car dealerships selling brand new brodozers with ten inch lifts, dubs, weird lo-pro MT's, giant light bars and plastic bolt-on fender flares.  It's still a Ford F150 on your registration, just like a customized gun is still transferred to you as a Smith & Wesson M&P on your 4473 under Section D.

A company insisting that you can't name their gun by the manufacturer and model once you change a single thing about it is completely asinine and beggars belief.
View Quote

Exactly.  

And this is about parts. Yes I know what the letter says.  No this is not a new issue on S&Ws behalf.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thats what I've heard from a lot of places.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well fuck them then

Guess I wont be buying an M&P then because from what I hear it is a must to upgrade the trigger

Thats what I've heard from a lot of places.

Watch them at the gun shop all the time. New gun pop out crappy trigger and replace. I believe the shop is factoring the work in the gun sale to provide a little break to the customer. Most of the new guns have crappy triggers had to switch out my P 238
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ok, I changed the OP and I think I'm understanding this now. It looks like Smith and Wesson have good reason to issue this cease and desist for that particular gun, and are not asking them to stop modifying customers guns. Have I got all this right?
View Quote
I think you should change the OP again, adding to the very top of your post.  It still comes off as you accusing S&W of acting inappropriately.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
They send a cease and desist letter and address it to "to whom it may concern"? Is that the proper way such things are done? I would think it would need to be addressed to the owner of the company getting the letter?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I love threads like this because six months from now there will still be a pile of chuckleheads mouth breathing "Fuck S&W!" without having any idea why.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ever modify an AR??????
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ever modify an AR??????
The only ARs I own are Frankenguns with no factory warranty.

If I bought a Colt, then slapped a S&W upper on it, and replaced the trigger, I wouldn't expect Colt to honor the factory warranty.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i don't like this one bit.. no sir i don't
View Quote

I don't either.  They should change the name to, "The Dream Gun Smith can't make, but we do"
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love threads like this because six months from now there will still be a pile of chuckleheads mouth breathing "Fuck S&W!" without having any idea why.
View Quote

BECAUSE FEELS!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well fuck them then

No it would be like your local shady tree mechanic doing the work and then selling it as new and possibly misrepresent that the warranty isn't affected.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Arfcom sells complete AR15.com rifles.  I don't see them suing people that modify them.  

The liability issue your're talking about is pretty weak.  Look into Subsequent Modification case law, and I don't think you're going to see an argument where failing to enforce a trademark gets liability back to the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Like I said, they were intentionally holding key pieces of information in an attempt to sway popular opinion against Smith. That is the liberal thing to do. Good job SSVI.

Tempest in a tea pot; this legal action has nothing to do with end users modifying their guns or having paying others do it for them.

Nor are they demanding that companies cease and desist from selling aftermarket parts.

Smith & Wesson is perfectly justified in taking this legal action to protect their trademark as well as for liability issues, since S&W would incur liability in the event of any injuries if it could be proven that S&W knew about these "M&P Dream Guns" and took no action, thereby giving it's implied consent to the guns in fact, being authentic Smith and Wesson products.

ARFcom protects it's trademark aggressively as well; it's a proper and entirely legitimate business practice.  

Arfcom sells complete AR15.com rifles.  I don't see them suing people that modify them.  

The liability issue your're talking about is pretty weak.  Look into Subsequent Modification case law, and I don't think you're going to see an argument where failing to enforce a trademark gets liability back to the manufacturer.

Which is entirely  at issue in this matter.

If, by doing nothing after becoming aware, in considering of their trademark being used,  S&W tacitly acknowledges that the gun is an "M&P"  and they may well incur liability or need to defend against it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Smith wouldn't necessarily know their product is being sold specifically to be modified... But that's not what you were referring to before, is it? Kindly let's not move goalposts.

This is a legal "CYA" maneuver that still comes across, well, badly in this day and age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that after reading their complaint. They are not only demanding the "offending" companies stop marketing a "Dream Gun", they're also demanding they turn in their S&W product!

Edit: Now, if I was Smith, I'd say "hey guys, you want to modify our guns? Okay, no problem - but WARRANTY VOIDED." That's it. And that companies modding guns in functional ways - lighter triggers,  that kind of thing - assume liability if issues arise from those mods.

That doesn't shield S&W against 3rd party liability suits in the event of injury, because in the event the company allowed the sales of the modified guns to go forward under their company  trademark, they would be deemed to be complicit in the sale of a hazardous/defective product.

Smith wouldn't necessarily know their product is being sold specifically to be modified... But that's not what you were referring to before, is it? Kindly let's not move goalposts.

This is a legal "CYA" maneuver that still comes across, well, badly in this day and age.

No goal posts have been moved at all.

Smith and Wesson does in fact KNOW that the Dream Gun is being represented as an S&W M&P, and they need to protect their trademark as well as remove product liability attached to the modified gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds about right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Here you go guys! Enjoy!

Like I said, they were intentionally holding key pieces of information in an attempt to sway popular opinion against Smith. That is the liberal thing to do. Good job SSVI.

Tempest in a tea pot; this legal action has nothing to do with end users modifying their guns or having paying others do it for them.

Nor are they demanding that companies cease and desist from selling aftermarket parts.

Smith & Wesson is perfectly justified in taking this legal action to protect their trademark as well as for liability issues, since S&W would incur liability in the event of any injuries if it could be proven that S&W knew about these "M&P Dream Guns" and took no action, thereby giving it's implied consent to the guns in fact, being authentic Smith and Wesson products.

ARFcom protects it's trademark aggressively as well; it's a proper and entirely legitimate business practice.  

What if someone owned a small business and purchased the AR15.com rifle direct from Arfcom and decked it head to toe in Tapco, and resold it thru their business as the "ARFCOM Dream Rifle?"

Sounds about right.

In that event,  ARFcom would rightly defend it's trademark and would be cheered here in GD for doing so.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Until Gaston dies and his nurse wife tries to tell companies to stop making aftermarket parts to make the Glock actually perfect.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another reason to buy a Glock

Until Gaston dies and his nurse wife tries to tell companies to stop making aftermarket parts to make the Glock actually perfect.  

peak Ghost triggers!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson does in fact KNOW that the Dream Gun is being represented as an S&W M&P, and they need to protect their trademark as well as remove product liability attached to the modified gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure about that after reading their complaint. They are not only demanding the "offending" companies stop marketing a "Dream Gun", they're also demanding they turn in their S&W product!

Edit: Now, if I was Smith, I'd say "hey guys, you want to modify our guns? Okay, no problem - but WARRANTY VOIDED." That's it. And that companies modding guns in functional ways - lighter triggers,  that kind of thing - assume liability if issues arise from those mods.

That doesn't shield S&W against 3rd party liability suits in the event of injury, because in the event the company allowed the sales of the modified guns to go forward under their company  trademark, they would be deemed to be complicit in the sale of a hazardous/defective product.

That's just it... It's a base gun with modifications. So the companies are selling a gun and they want to let people know who made the original gun. Simple as that.

What you and I think of it doesn't really matter, as it won't influence Smith at all. But they're going to look like jerks because of their actions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Yawn

I suspect S&W management is on holiday watching Christmas Story, while some dipshit low level lawyer put this out.  LOL

M&P trigger jobs are easy...

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

I like 'em

Pretty sure APEX will continue to make parts for S&W  

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like they could change the wording a little and be in compliance. Something like - Brownell's dream pistol based on a S&W M&P pro 9mm - and warranting the pistol themselves.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi_zpsi0upjqfm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/6a00d83451b80969e200e55067bb678833-640wi_zpsi0upjqfm.jpg</a>

Yawn

I suspect S&W management is on holiday watching Christmas Story, while some dipshit low level lawyer put this out.  LOL

M&P trigger jobs are easy...

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

I like 'em

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/MP/MPs_zpsfscqb3sg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/MP/MPs_zpsfscqb3sg.jpg</a>

Pretty sure APEX will continue to make parts for S&W  

View Quote

if you read, thats not the case here. It's the "Dream M&P" that is the problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I just sold my Glocks and simultaneously decided to keep my M&P's.  Based on what I get from the letter, which is not the same as the knee jerk reaction I see from a lot of posters, I have no problem with what they're doing and I don't feel bad for keeping my M&P's.   Subscribing for the butthurt though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Everything these companies sell require the user to first purchase a S&W product, not seeing the issue.

Me thinks this is some kind of reaction the California negligent discharge issues that is currently hurting S&W marketing to law enforcement.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hey, get out of here with your reason and logic! I've got my pitchfork all pointy sharp and I mean to react!!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pffft, you and your pitchfork sharpening. Amateur.

If you were really prepared you'd have some tar heated up already, the tub of feathers standing by, and the new tactical torches fueled and ready to be lit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Oy vey.  Old Clinton & Wesson wants a piece of the action, eh?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They send a cease and desist letter and address it to "to whom it may concern"? Is that the proper way such things are done? I would think it would need to be addressed to the owner of the company getting the letter?
View Quote

Yes it's a proper way to address the letter.

The letter is sent to the company in toto and intended for the eyes of anyone within the company who is concerned with the matter.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]
BDL's Instagram states the gun was never intended to be sold just as a show piece for SHOT. Doesn't that void the argument about the intent to sell it? They are selling products and services based on the M&P.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Over a custom gun meant to showcase aftermarket parts and services available for their line of pistols?  That's stupid.

Makes me want to mill my extra M&P slide into nothing but a pile of chips, except for the logo, and then tack weld the logo onto a High Point slide.  Boom, custom gunwork on their pistol to improve trigger pull and accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Over a custom gun meant to showcase aftermarket parts and services available for their line of pistols?  That's stupid.

Makes me want to mill my extra M&P slide into nothing but a pile of chips, except for the logo, and then tack weld the logo onto a High Point slide.  Boom, custom gunwork on their pistol to improve trigger pull and accuracy.
View Quote

A gentleman way of handling this should have been a phone call but legally s&w was in the right.

Even thou this is is a one off promotion gun the c&d puts one of the industries biggest lawsuit targets in a safer place. The dems said in the last debate that they want to sue the gun makers out of buisiness.  As much as it sucks and is rediculus s&w is smart to be getting their ducks in a row for the next few years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A gentleman way of handling this should have been a phone call but legally s&w was in the right.

Even thou this is is a one off promotion gun the c&d puts one of the industries biggest lawsuit targets in a safer place. The dems said in the last debate that they want to sue the gun makers out of buisiness.  As much as it sucks and is rediculus s&w is smart to be getting their ducks in a row for the next few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's petty and foolish to attack the people who make their handguns more popular over a display.  Being legally correct doesn't mean "right."
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The letter says that they left the S&W and M&P on the slide after modification. Sounds like they (S&W) don't want their trademarks on any custom work that could possibly be viewed in tv or the interwebs of something happened. You can't alter the receiver markings so the frame markings have to stay. Just my take on it.
View Quote

Still pretty crappy for S&W to demand, and may make a terrible precedent, so if I send a gun off to have some custom work done will the gunsmith now have to deface the original markings lest he gets sued for "infringement".
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your ideas intrigue me ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Soon only the 1911 and AR will be end-user modifiable

Your ideas intrigue me ...

Annnnnnnnnnd I'm back in......
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I like my 10 M&P's. The small block chevy of the pistol world plentiful, and easy to modify.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Meh, the Shield is the best CCW piece going
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top