Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are SJW's all over GD these days.
View Quote

People like you just dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as a SJW. It is easier than rationally defending your argument.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What do we think would happen if he tried to do either of the following?

1. Bring that onto an airliner, especially if he tried to carry it on.

2. Bring it into or near the White House or the Capitol building while on a tour.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the same thing, it was a weird way to decide to store/contain the components. Then I heard about his father and that situation, and I can see why people think it is an elaborate publicity stunt.

But then I saw that it was much smaller than it looked. And then I read about the way the school/police handled the matter, and there is no doubt that they overreacted badly and probably violated some of his rights.

If it was a publicity stunt, it worked, but it only worked bc the school/police mishandled it and took the extreme route instead of reasonably trying to figure out what was actually happening.

And the people saying it is a set up for an assassination attempt.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

People like you just dismiss anyone who disagrees with them as a SJW. It is easier than rationally defending your argument.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, i dismiss people who automatically assume i feel the way i do is because of "xenophobic" whiteness.
I also dismiss people who go out their way to defend the actions of a dumb ass because it makes them feel better.
I also dismiss people who's only useful addition to a discussion is to be a grammar nazi.
I also dismiss people who tell me i have to embrace and support all things lgbtwtfbbq because if i dont I'm a bigot.
I also dismiss people who purposely get into religious threads and troll them.
The list goes on and on.

But by all means, be happy that you are supporting this kid, i hope this really all was just some stupid ass mistake.  
Be happy that you are on the same side as FBHO, because we know he has been right every other time he gets behind a cause.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

2. Bring it into or near the White House or the Capitol building while on a tour.
View Quote

But the feels.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He didn't "make" a clock. He took a commercially manufactured clock out of its case and put it in a new case. Big deal.

When I was 11, I was building stuff out of chips, transistors, and other discrete components. Nobody proclaimed me a genius or invited me to NASA.

This mess has went from idiots thinking his clock was a bomb to idiots thinking his clock is a hand soldered expression of genius.
View Quote

Hell, when I was a kid in the 60s/70s, we'd be making real bomb looking bombs out of paper mache', right there in class and nobody gave a hoot.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But the feels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the feels.

Clearly a public school and the White House have the same security concerns and need the same security procedures.  Better start feeling up every one who go into a school.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree 100% OP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Guys here say they "built" a gun when they simply assemble parts they bought.  Just sayin'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.

You mean the clocks you built in your engineering lab at Penn State didn't look like a clock that a 14 year old made?  <gasp>  

You either have very low expectations for your engineering program or very high expectations for a 14yo.  

He didn't build that PCB.  That comes out of a commercial product- probably an electronic clock.  My fucking cousin was 8 years old when he started pulling apart commercial electronics and putting them into different cases.

The kid said, himself, in a news interview that he bought the clock from Target for five or ten dollars, and repackaged it in the case.  In the same breath he also kept calling it his "invention" and stuff like that.  I can see how the admin would lose patience with the kid.  Maybe he has some form of autism, I dunno.  But, his statements in media interviews were odd, and he said some weird, conflicting stuff.  

Guys here say they "built" a gun when they simply assemble parts they bought.  Just sayin'.

hehe good point. "I bought a complete upper and put it on my complete lower, frankengun LOL!"
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Absolutely agree.

Kids do dumb things. This time the lie worked.

He fashioned something made to look threatening.

Terrorist? No.
Victim of Islamaphobia? No.
Dumb kid? Yes.

View Quote

Taqiyyah  yes
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, i dismiss people who automatically assume i feel the way i do is because of "xenophobic" whiteness.
I also dismiss people who go out their way to defend the actions of a dumb ass because it makes them feel better.
I also dismiss people who's only useful addition to a discussion is to be a grammar nazi.
I also dismiss people who tell me i have to embrace and support all things lgbtwtfbbq because if i dont I'm a bigot.
The list goes on and on.

But by all means, be happy that you are supporting this kid, i hope this really all was just some stupid ass mistake.  
Be happy that you are on the same side as FBHO, because we know he has been right every other time he gets behind a cause.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

I like your style.
Have one on me...........................

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

hehe good point. "I bought a complete upper and put it on my complete lower, frankengun LOL!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like these guys "built" or "invented" choppers

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Clearly a public school and the White House have the same security concerns and need the same security procedures.  Better start feeling up every one who go into a school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the feels.

Are you saying the lives of the president and congress are more precious and important than the lives of children?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you saying the lives of the president and congress are more precious and important than the lives of children?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the feels.

Or that the risks to children are lower than the risks to the President/Congress.  Clearly our society thinks so.   The President is driven in a motorcade protected by scores of agents.  Congressmen are driven around and protected by agents as well.   Children are transported in a metal box driven by a part-time bus driver.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did it so when they send real bombs are brought into our schools by minihadis, they won't be called in because of the big stink it made this time.

And it won't be funny, and I won't laugh, but this will make me laugh at the stupidity and gullibility of the American media and authorities.........
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

Your mind is so full of biases and stereotypes it's crazy. I haven't said any of those things. You are assuming a ton of things.

I am behind the kid because he did nothing wrong, and the school and government over reacted. You may be right about his intentions, you may be completely wrong. It isn't really relevant because it doesn't make the first two things I said untrue.

As for your last sentence, I don't base what I believe on whether or not he or someone else believes in something. Some of you would stop breathing if Obama came out with a statement encouraging all Americans to keep breathing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My background is in computer engineering. At Penn State, that meant a good mix of computer science and electrical engineering.

In both my CE and EE labs, we built a lot of simple devices to help teach us about electronics in reality. CD players and clocks were among them.

I bring this up because the digital clocks that we would build - using various displays and drivers to teach you how to drive a clock with a counter, an FPGA, a microcontroller, whatever - looked NOTHING like what this kid made. You don't have a briefcase with wires sticking out of it.

There is zero chance that this was not done intentionally. This was engineered to look exactly like a bomb and get a reaction. This was done intentionally to make some sort of statement, most likely with the assistance of his radical father.

He even said that he "didn't think he would get this far." I wonder what that means? Almost like it was planned or something.
View Quote
I completely agree.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Shhhhh!

Don't be interjecting logic into this discussion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For some people teen means child, for others it means young adult.   In most of the world a 14 year old is an adult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why use quotes around the word teen? Are you saying he's older or younger?

For some people teen means child, for others it means young adult.   In most of the world a 14 year old is an adult.

"teen" is an actual word that means something...  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or that the risks to children are lower than the risks to the President/Congress.  Clearly our society thinks so.   The President is driven in a motorcade protected by scores of agents.  Congressmen are driven around and protected by agents as well.   Children are transported in a metal box driven by a part-time bus driver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the feels.

So if he tried to bring it into the White House and the Secret Service detained him, that would be justified? Because the White House is at a high risk of being bombed? But the school should not have reacted to it because they are at a lower risk of being bombed? If he had told the Secret Service it was a clock, should they have believed him and let him return to the tour without further issue?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shhhhh!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh!  

Logic? That the government has over steps its bounds and succeeded at making America paranoid?

You can't bring a non-power-upable laptop or a jug of water on a plane either. Or a cigar punch that looks like a bullet. You can bring an avocado, but not guacamole. Any of that shit makes us safer or are we just goose stepping in time with what the masters say?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There are three possible scenarios here:

1.  The kid "built" a clock.  Now, granted it isn't Penn State EE lab quality, so we'll have to assume he isn't the Genius that everyone seems to think he is.  Maybe he's just an average kid that likes to tinker with shit.  If that is the case, the school owes him an apology and needs to undo the suspension.  He didn't threaten anyone as if it were a bomb.  He didn't make it look like a bomb.  He even showed it to one of his teachers.

2.  The kid or his dad is trolling.  They put it together and tried to get a reaction.  They got the reaction they were looking for.  The school still owes him an apology.  He didn't threaten anyone as if it were a bomb.  He didn't make it look like a bomb.  He even showed it to one of his teachers.

3.  They are trying to desensitize teachers to things that beep. Now the terrorists can get that dramatic Hollywood bomb effect that can only be achieved if the bomb is able to beep as the timer ticks down to zero.  The school does not owe him an apology and they should ban things that beep to keep the children safe.
View Quote
Yeah.  Teachers don't have to deal with kids bringing noise making electronics into class, these days.  Nope.  It's a goddamn rare occurrence.

Also, what kind of Wiley E. Coyote fever dream are you living out that you think bombs beep have timers like in the movies?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's a snide way of saying that newspapers should always mention race when describing non-white people committing crimes.  I threw "non-white" in there because nobody ever complains when that detail is missing for white people.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your mind is so full of biases and stereotypes it's crazy. I haven't said any of those things. You are assuming a ton of things.

I am behind the kid because he did nothing wrong, and the school and government over reacted. You may be right about his intentions, you may be completely wrong. It isn't really relevant because it doesn't make the first two things I said untrue.

As for your last sentence, I don't base what I believe on whether or not he or someone else believes in something. Some of you would stop breathing if Obama came out with a statement encouraging all Americans to keep breathing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

That's bullshit, this was a publicity stunt and it works because certain folks are too naive to understand how someone can exploit the current political PC climate.

The only assumption I make from reading your response is that you're naive

I did love his NASA T-shirt though. . . . was a nice touch
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Logic? That the government has over steps its bounds and succeeded at making America paranoid?

You can't bring a non-power-upable laptop or a jug of water on a plane either. Or a cigar punch that looks like a bullet. You can bring an avocado, but not guacamole. Any of that shit makes us safer or are we just goose stepping in time with what the masters say?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh!  

If you were about to board a plane, and you saw someone fiddling with that in the gate area before boarding, you would think nothing of it and board the plane without a second thought?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, for those defending the kid...You seem to be focusing on how the school reacted.  Please answer me this...

Why do you think he took the guts out of a clock and put them into a different container? Then, why did he bring it to school? Keeping in mind it has already been well established that he did not "make" the clock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#27]
On a completely unrelated note, how long until folks start "manufacturing" butthurt to get wealthy off bogus gofundme social injustices?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, for those defending the kid...You seem to be focusing on how the school reacted.  Please answer me this...

Why do you think he took the guts out of a clock and put them into a different container? Then, why did he bring it to school? Keeping in mind it has already been well established that he did not "make" the clock.
View Quote

Exactly.  People can't see the forest from the trees.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So if he tried to bring it into the White House and the Secret Service detained him, that would be justified? Because the White House is at a high risk of being bombed? But the school should not have reacted to it because they are at a lower risk of being bombed? If he had told the Secret Service it was a clock, should they have believed him and let him return to the tour without further issue?
View Quote

He will be bringing it to the White House.  Let's see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Wait, didn't Obama shift NASA's mission into a Muslim outreach organization?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The kid said, himself, in a news interview that he bought the clock from Target for five or ten dollars, and repackaged it in the case.  In the same breath he also kept calling it his "invention" and stuff like that.  I can see how the admin would lose patience with the kid.  Maybe he has some form of autism, I dunno.  But, his statements in media interviews were odd, and he said some weird, conflicting stuff.  
View Quote

Are we doing this again?  The kid said in the interview that he bought the BOX at Target for five or ten dollars.

Also, if he had, would that be against the law?  If not, why is it relevant?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he's being invited, what will happen is a giant photo op / opportunity for obama to run his mouth. I want to know what the reaction would be if he brought it in there on regular tour.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because he's a brilliant young scientist, of course!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#34]
OP seems "familiar" ........
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

From what I've heard he just bought a clock, took it apart, then put it back together in a briefcase. Don't know if its true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.
View Quote

That's what it looks like. (V battery backup lead hanging loose, 120V step down transformer flopping around, etc. He didn't "build" shit. He took a functioning clock and ripped the guts out and reinstalled them in a different enclosure, in the process making them look like a hack job "bomb" timer like you'd see on an old MacGyver episode. Whether that was his intention is debatable, but if there was a foolproof way to read minds, I'd bet good money he wanted it to look "bomb-ish".
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pencil case, not a briefcase.

Are you aware that he showed this to his Engineering teacher earlier in the day?  Why would he do that if he was hoping to get a bomb reaction?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pencil case, not a briefcase.

Are you aware that he showed this to his Engineering teacher earlier in the day?  Why would he do that if he was hoping to get a bomb reaction?

That's a big ass pencil case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did the same kind of shit when I was 14. It didn't make me a terrorist. It made me a kid that got his ass whipped for taking apart dads favorite radio and rebuilding it into a crappy plywood box, with bigger speakers.

It also got me interested and taking electronics in high school. And made me a fair amount of money fixing tvs and VCRs.

There was no harm done, except to the kids permanent record. Sometimes a clock is just a clock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

My first 3 lines are from this thread or the other one on this topic.  the last 2 are just general and none the five except #2 are necessarily you.

The young adult did nothing wrong in a sane world, last i checked that is not where we live.   The young adult choose to be an ass which is why recourse officer, then we wouldn't answer questions so the police got involved.  Once everything got worked out down at the station all charges were dropped.  None of that would have needed if he didn't bring is piece of crap "invention" to school, or maybe, just maybe leave it in his locker once he finished showing it to his I'm pretty sure unimpressed STEM teacher.

When all this started i was on his side, then i saw a picture of the "invention" and saw the interview with his shyster lawyer and parents.  

For what its worth, if FBHO ever has to tell Americans to keep breating, we are so far lost i might just stop breathing to stop my frustration.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it means someone between the ages of 13 and 19.  The meaning beyond that varies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
On a completely unrelated note, how long until folks start "manufacturing" butthurt to get wealthy off bogus gofundme social injustices?

View Quote

They already are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are we doing this again?  The kid said in the interview that he bought the BOX at Target for five or ten dollars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He speaks to his character, he is supposed to be a genius inventor.  Why then transfer the guts from a store bought clock to a pencil box?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you were about to board a plane, and you saw someone fiddling with that in the gate area before boarding, you would think nothing of it and board the plane without a second thought?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh!  

Nope. Went through the scanners - zero fucks given. I've taken apart my lap top in the waiting area before because I was retarded and put an SD card in the CDROM slot. I guess you should have reported me  because you saw circuit boards and wires.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Wonder if that STEM teacher is thinking "Dodged the bullet on that one"
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's bullshit, this was a publicity stunt and it works because certain folks are too naive to understand how someone can exploit the current political PC climate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The list goes on and on.

Right. Well I will believe that when there is evidence. Others here are sure jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Also if this was the case, the school's reaction was exactly what  they shouldn't have done. Had it been me, I would have held it till the end of day for disturbing the class for beeping.

NO ONE thought this was a bomb. They did they are the most irresponsible people on earth for not evacuating the school.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He's 14.  Not sure what you'd expect, but he's not going to be doing high level EE work at his age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I've heard he just bought a clock, took it apart, then put it back together in a briefcase. Don't know if its true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.

Pencil case, but yes, that's basically what he did.  Threw it together in 20 minutes, took it to his Engineering teacher hoping to impress him.

He's 14.  Not sure what you'd expect, but he's not going to be doing high level EE work at his age.

High school kids these days are doing DNA sequencing in class with a table top kit.
Kid's more autistic than "genius".
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Everyone has to start somewhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:  Do you really expect a 14yo to build a clock from scratch?  Order some parts from DigiKey, breadboard everything, solder it all together, program the controller, and package it up in a fancy plastic box?  

Yes I do - if he has any genuine interest in electrical engineering at all.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Except his "work" is bush league shit and he calls himself an "inventor." I probably did comparable stuff in 4th or 5th grade.
I have serious doubts he can even use a soldering iron.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#48]
To libs; "he did nothing wrong" dismisses the racial and religious hate they have should it have been anyone of the wrong color or religion...and that is the point. His skin is dark and he is a Muslim so he gets the free pass...libs need to come clean with this fact as this fact is the only bases for their racially/religious based "free pass". Those libs who say it is for any other reason are full of bullshit and we know it.
If a pimply faced white "teen" who happens to come from a Christian family shows up at school or an airport with something he made on purpose to look like a bomb, then these same "anti-racists" would be saying he is an idiot or "their rules" or "glad they caught him before it was real" and all that BS.
"Anti-racists" filter everything through race (white hate) and or in this case religion (Anti-Christian hate) as well as we've seen witness to in prior posts. Its time to start calling these "anti-racists" out...they are anti-white
chauvinists and nothing more. Hate-racists in the purist sense. Because that is their filter medium.
Whites (through liberal media race-based guilt) are supposed to somehow feel guilty as if it is their culture or society that brought on this poor little fake bomb making idiots arrest (that just happened to look like a clock). Gimme a fucking break.
But these same "anti-racists" would be silent as crickets or even cheer on his arrest if he were the wrong race or religion. Something we all know, but they are too cowardly to admit.
Kind of like the "teen" last week that was swinging a 3ft sword at cops at a mall...they only shot him because he was 1/2 black .
Its time to start calling these liberal "anti-racists" out for what they are...they are anti-white
chauvinists and nothing more. Self-righteous hate-racists in the purist sense.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#50]

I was able to repair my own Discman at 14 by cannibalizing another one for its laser. Probably the same amount of effort involved, but I didn't go around bragging that I had invented a Discman, though.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top