[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any news on this round at shot?
View Quote
Only thing I've seen so far is a post on the Krebs production rifle
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
So Brownells released a strait 25 round steel mag at shot, would a strait mag be better for feeding? Especially if one cut out the front guide rubs?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
kak just sent out an email today releasing barrels , they had a video on IG showing them shooting it
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it just me...or has this round/caliber just getting a slow roll?

Or is it just not have the hype machine that .300 Blackout did?
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it just me...or has this round/caliber just getting a slow roll?

Or is it just not have the hype machine that .300 Blackout did?
View Quote
It's slow but the growth is speeding up fast. KAK is now making barrels, and Piedmont is doing a lot of really cool stuff and getting CPD to start pumping out dedicated 20 round and even 25 round mags plus even Tula is jumping in on 9x39 imports with a starting price of 50cpr, with Tula jumping in at under half the price that aughta light a fire under Wolf's ass to get down to that claimed 30cpr.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's slow but the growth is speeding up fast. KAK is now making barrels, and Piedmont is doing a lot of really cool stuff and getting CPD to start pumping out dedicated 20 round and even 25 round mags plus even Tula is jumping in on 9x39 imports with a starting price of 50cpr, with Tula jumping in at under half the price that aughta light a fire under Wolf's ass to get down to that claimed 30cpr.
View Quote
I think I am more anxiously awaiting the mags than the ammo.  Still no good solution with existing stuff.  I have over 100 rounds downrange with mine and it's all been 5 or less in the mag at a time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Updates:

Gas tubes, Magazines and brass cases are all either in or ready for production.  To be conservative we will say April for availability.  Pre-orders will be available once we have firm delivery date.

Suppressors both integral and screw on are available now.   Call for more information or see our web site. Our only delay is getting from 2's and 3's back from the ATF. They used to take less then 24 hours but are now backed up due to the shut down.

250gn Tula ammo is in country and available for pre-order now. We have many many many cases on the way to us. For everyone here the price is $0.55 per round if you buy 200 rounds plus shipping. That's $110 plus shipping.  Once they arrive at my dock - the price goes up.

Sorry our e-commerce is down until we move to another provider.

Ralph
~~~~~~~~
Piedmont Cartridge
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like it’s time to SBR an AK mag AR lower...
View Quote
Palmetto state armory ks47 lower... ks47 upper. Replace barrel and bolt? Does the 9x39use an 7.62 x 39 bolt? If it does then it's as simple as a barrel swap on the psa gun? The psa bolt is specific to that gun... because of the so mag feedlips.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It will not work.

The 9x39 requires a very short gas system.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It will not work.

The 9x39 requires a very short gas system.
View Quote
I think with a normal buffer and unsuppressed, yes.  I have one of your early test 7.5 barrels with the normal pistol length system, an adjustable gas block, and a form 1 can with a VERY small blast chamber (think 9mm pistol can without the fixed barrel spacer or spring in it).  It won't cycle without the can, but with the can on and a buffer without the weights in it, I didn't have to open the gas block up all the way to get it to cycle properly and lock back on the last round.  I think it's generating enough backpressure from the blast baffle being so close to the muzzle.

Makes it inconvenient because I can't just put it on an SBR lower without swapping the buffer, so the shorter gas system lengths make a lot more sense...  Especially on the AK variants that have to move that big heavy bolt carrier.

I think it would be pretty hard to sell a gun that won't function without a suppressor to John Q Public.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ammo is HERE!

This is Tula 250gn 9x39.

600 round case, .55 per round

$330. Plus shipping to your door.

We plan on starting to ship on Monday.

Call today to order your case.

470-223-5000
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ammo is HERE!

This is Tula 250gn 9x39.

470-223-5000
View Quote
That is awesome.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ammo is HERE!

This is Tula 250gn 9x39.

470-223-5000
View Quote
You, sir, are a pain in my wallet...
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Noticed that earlier too - they had been out of stock previously so I wonder if they got better dealer pricing on this batch.

Competition is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Awwwwwwww yiiissssssss
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn, at this rate it is going to be a third the price of 300BO...
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I will be getting an AR upper when they are proven reliable.

Also what length is the sweet spot on these?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are reliable now. Anything can be made reliable by tuning appropriately.

Now we just need good AR mags for the round.

I’m running a 7.5 pistol gas system and to me all the powder is being burned. The fact that most are going with a shorter gas system than that would lead me to believe you don’t need a ton of length on the barre if the gas system is sized appropriatey to the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’m running a 7.5 pistol gas system and to me all the powder is being burned. The fact that most are going with a shorter gas system than that would lead me to believe you don’t need a ton of length on the barre if the gas system is sized appropriatey to the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say you still need a decent length of barrel after the gas hole to ensure it cycles properly.

Granted it is suppressed all the time, which gives it a bit extra, but any amount of length you can add after that gas hole will only increase reliability within reason.

After that an adjustable gas system can give you exactly what you need to get perfect cycling.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would say you still need a decent length of barrel after the gas hole to ensure it cycles properly.

Granted it is suppressed all the time, which gives it a bit extra, but any amount of length you can add after that gas hole will only increase reliability within reason.

After that an adjustable gas system can give you exactly what you need to get perfect cycling.
View Quote
Also forgot to add, a 7.62x39 firing pin. Much more reliable ignition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also forgot to add, a 7.62x39 firing pin. Much more reliable ignition.
View Quote
Hmm.... I didn't think of this! Thanks for the tip. I've got a regular .223 firing pin in mine. Gonna change that when I get home and get one ordered.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hmm.... I didn't think of this! Thanks for the tip. I've got a regular .223 firing pin in mine. Gonna change that when I get home and get one ordered.
View Quote
Yeah I was getting occasional failures to fire. I haven’t gotten it back over a chronograph since I made the change but I’m hoping there’s a chance that the velocity variation and vertical stringing I was seeing at 100 yards may have improved since sometimes incomplete ignition from a primer can cause variations in powder burn. May be a long shot but won’t know til I can get out there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#25]
As far as suppressors what would one need to consider? Would a 9mm pistol suppressor be enough? I am really considering a build in this cal....
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As far as suppressors what would one need to consider? Would a 9mm pistol suppressor be enough? I am really considering a build in this cal....
View Quote
I use a Silencerco Hybrid.

I *PERSONALLY* wouldn't use one of my pistol suppressors, but if I did I would use a .45 can, but I am squeamish about detonating a suppressor or having a baffle strike.

The Hybrid is awesome on the 9x39. Lots of internal room, designed for rifles, and has a .46 hole.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
12 inch long form 1 can with a generous overbore for 9.26 mm. It’s an aluminum tube but with stainless baffles. Very small blast chamber. I’d done the math previously on this round and the uncorking pressure was pretty low.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone seen or heard anything about supersonic ammo/bullets?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who is selling Reliable complete pistol uppers?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would like to get a 9", 10", or 11" complete 9X39 Ar upper?

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KAK is the only one making complete uppers AFAIK. Can't attest to them being reliable or not but their stuff is usually pretty decent. Complete uppers run $500
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
KAK and Piedmont Cartridge are selling barrels. The rest is up to you, but if you can build an upper you can balance the system easily.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm so happy to start seeing this take off! I've been wanting this for years.
Really hope we can get those AK mags soon, I would in a heartbeat build something with the PSA KS-47 lower.

Do any of the side charger uppers work with the PSA lower?

Time to start designing a VSS clone in CAD and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm so happy to start seeing this take off! I've been wanting this for years.
Really hope we can get those AK mags soon, I would in a heartbeat build something with the PSA KS-47 lower.

Do any of the side charger uppers work with the PSA lower?

Time to start designing a VSS clone in CAD and go from there.
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#35]
3 steps ahead of you......
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
3 steps ahead of you......
View Quote
Any AR mags yet?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Coming soon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah but how soon
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Just checkin' in again....since PSA started a thread the other day about their AKV9 relaunch.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Military-Arms-Channel-s-Review-of-Upgraded-Fixed-AK-V/5-2205456/?page=1

Yeah...yeah...I know...apples and oranges.

Forum member M4 posted in that other thread about how he has the 7.62X39 verson of that PSA gun:

Attachment Attached File

So it reminded me of this thread...which had not popped up on my radar in a while.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just checkin' in again....since PSA started a thread the other day about their AKV9 relaunch.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Military-Arms-Channel-s-Review-of-Upgraded-Fixed-AK-V/5-2205456/?page=1

Yeah...yeah...I know...apples and oranges.

Forum member M4 posted in that other thread about how he has the 7.62X39 verson of that PSA gun:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/Screenshot_20190326-135004_Samsung_Internet_jpg-891101.JPG

So it reminded me of this thread...which had not popped up on my radar in a while.
View Quote
They need to make that thing in 5.45
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought Wolf was going to release 9x39 Ar uppers?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought Wolf was going to release 9x39 Ar uppers?
View Quote
No idea what happened there.....but a couple companies are selling barrels now so there's no real point for waiting on that front. KAK even has budget priced barrels available
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No idea what happened there.....but a couple companies are selling barrels now so there's no real point for waiting on that front. KAK even has budget priced barrels available
View Quote
How about bolts?

Who is selling bolts?

Or do you use a regular 7.62X39 bolt?

I have an LMT bolt in my 7.62X39 AR

It made it shoot/handle steel cased ammo better, but it's still not 100%.

Brass cased 7.62X39 ammo...sure...sure...100% .

Which brings me to my next question...is all this imported 9X39 ammo just strictly steel cased?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a line on dies for reloading the 9x39 yet?  I could probably get Lee to make a set, but with their setup fee one set of dies would be $200 ($150 + $47)
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How about bolts?

Who is selling bolts?

Or do you use a regular 7.62X39 bolt?

I have an LMT bolt in my 7.62X39 AR

It made it shoot/handle steel cased ammo better, but it's still not 100%.

Brass cased 7.62X39 ammo...sure...sure...100% .

Which brings me to my next question...is all this imported 9X39 ammo just strictly steel cased?
View Quote
Uses a 7.62x39 bolt. I’d recommend a 7.62x39 firing pin as well (protrudes more from the bolt face), I was getting light primer strikes prior to that. The cartridge is under gassed so I ended up using a buffer with no weights in it, a can with a small blast chamber to increase back pressure, and an adjustable gas block to tube it perfectly.

Mags are the only issue right now. I can only reliably load 5 rounds in a mag, but those 5 rounds feed 100%. I’ve got about 200 rounds through my setup so far.

The wolf 278 grain is steel with a copper wash / plating on it, not sure if that means they had reliability issues in getting the round to slide over the chamber lugs in an AR, but that would be my guess as to why it’s not just a normal lacquered steel case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Forgot to add, I had chambering issues on my 7.62x39 spikes bolt until I took out the extractor o-ring and ran it with just the spring. It was having trouble snapping over the case rim. No issues with extraction afterwards, presumably because it’s a low pressure round with a steel case and isn’t expanding too much into the chamber walls and getting to the point where you need that extra force on the extractor to prevent a failure to eject.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#47]
So would someone in the know on these things advise me as to whats the sweet spot pistol / PDW length is recommended for reliable suppressed keeping subsonic and unsuppressed supersonic. Keeping pistol to PDW sized as much as possible.

I am planning to go all in on this calibur upper. Acquiring a suppressor and shooting it second only to 22lr.

With that and also keeping quality in mind. best Materials and a Company who has good reputation with reliability with this round. Who is a good source for Barrel, gas system, Bolt, and Magazines?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So would someone in the know on these things advise me as to whats the sweet spot pistol / PDW length is recommended for reliable suppressed keeping subsonic and unsuppressed supersonic. Keeping pistol to PDW sized as much as possible.

I am planning to go all in on this calibur upper. Acquiring a suppressor and shooting it second only to 22lr.

With that and also keeping quality in mind. best Materials and a Company who has good reputation with reliability with this round. Who is a good source for Barrel, gas system, Bolt, and Magazines?

Thanks
View Quote
The unknowns here is that no one (that I am aware of) has supersonics for this yet.  Some companies, like Piedmont and a couple of the people making AK's are doing shorter-than-pistol gas systems to increase the pressure of the operating system.  I have a pistol-length prototype barrel so had to do the above tweaking to get it to work right.  My guess is, anyone selling a pistol length system at this point is using a bigger gas port or something...  I have not and will never shoot the caliber unsupressed, I built a can that lives on it, and zeroed the upper for use with it.  The only thing I shoot unsuppressed any longer is a hunting shotgun and handguns.

Any 7.62x39 bolt will do, just use a 7.62x39 specific firing pin.  No good 100% magazine solution for AR's yet, but Piedmont says they are working on them.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top