BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe the expulsion proceedings will dictate if permanent or if there is a possibility of reenrollment in the future.

Sorry, no idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So its basically a ban on that district. Is there a way for them ever to come back after a period of time or is it just done for life don't come back ?

I believe the expulsion proceedings will dictate if permanent or if there is a possibility of reenrollment in the future.

How does your district deal with prospective students that may have been expelled from other districts ?

Sorry, no idea.

Thanks for your answers. It isn't something I ever any thought to until I saw the arguments with you and the other poster then I got curious.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Outcome based pay.
View Quote

What outcome?

Grades?

All grades represent us how well you can do what the government tells you to do.

I thought this was America, built by rebels
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of you need to do some reading:

Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling - John Taylor Gatto
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/225850.Dumbing_Us_Down

Inside American Education - Thomas Sowell
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1139175.Inside_American_Education

Battle for the American Mind: Uprooting a Century of Miseducation - Pete Hegseth
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/59028610

Children of the Collective - Connor Boyack
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66087392-children-of-the-collective
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Another who didn't read.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/9rt5sZj-59.gif

It's not "mine" and it's not yours, it is all of ours whether we want it to be or not. Even if you "opt out" by going private you're still going to live with the societal consequences that got us here in the first place.

Imagine applying some of the anger of GD to fixing societal problems instead of posting without comprehension.

ETA: the edit to add "fuck your education system" as if I am part of the problem was a nice touch. I'm not here going to bat for dumbasses and leftists, the public education system infuriates me to no end. However, unlike the vast majority in this thread, I am quite well informed.
View Quote

I'm just glad my grandkids aren't getting indoctrinated by the failures in your rotten bureaucratic system. That fixes the system for our family.

You're a liberal so you can only think like a collectivist. What you'll never understand is that there's no such thing as a collective liberal solution... only individual American solutions.

You don't have the power to fix anything except your own life. Go be an "expert" there. Americans don't need "experts". Decent people who govern themselves don't need to be governed by your bureaucrats. They simply leave your corrupt system behind and create their own parallel system. Home schooling is just one such a parallel system.

In your narcissism, you can't believe someone could both disagree and comprehend.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yet you reside in California. Home of shitheads.
Wow. Just when I thought this thread could not get stupider. It's approaching epic stupidity.
View Quote

There are a lot of liberal shitheads here.

Regardless, there are some Americans here
who love their children enough to save them
from the perverts and the groomers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What you posted is, as a practical matter, bullshit. You’re not getting “expelled” these days, as in “no longer receiving free and appropriate public schooling,” unless you’re in juvenile detention for a major crime.

I’m sure as a teacher you think you know it all on this one - but you clearly have zero recent experience on the legal side of it.
View Quote

Based on the number of Manifestation Determination meetings that I run, I disagree with you. If Q1 and Q2 are both no, even SPED & 504 kids can be expelled. There are some behaviors that are very likely to result in expulsion.
Even with the highest degree of protections (IEP or 504 and a finding that a behavior was a manifestation of the students disability or a direct result of failure to implement), there is still the potential for unilateral removal to an interim alternative placement for up to 45 (school) days in situations involving a weapon, serious bodily injury, or controlled substances.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think that would be up to the other school district. In our district an expelled student cannot enroll at another one of our campuses.
View Quote

In Connecticut, expulsion is portable-meaning that if a student is expelled from a district and enrolls in another, they can continue to be expelled pending a hearing in the receiving district as to whether or not that district will accept the expulsion (the receiving district may or may not, or may offer an alternative).
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What happens when someone is expelled ? Does that affect them going to another school and how so ?
View Quote

I can't speak for Texas. Here in Connecticut, that is a district decision.

If the decision is made to impose an expulsion, the Superintendent who administers the expulsion gets to make a lot of decisions.

Durationwise, an expulsion can be up to 180 school days/ 1 calendar year here. The district is required to continue to provide an education, including Special education services and related services if the student has an IEP (or certain related services if a student has a 504). In some instances, homebound tutoring services are used to meet the educational service provision requirement. The more common option is to send students to a small alternative program. In some instances, involving students with IEPs, the district may pursue an outplacement (if that is necessary to maintain FAPE).

Expulsion is portable- if a student is expelled and registers in another district, the receiving district would hold a hearing and determine whether to accept the expulsion or not. If the district chooses to accept the expulsion, then they get to figure out how to educate the kid. If not, then the kid gets to go to school.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So its basically a ban on that district. Is there a way for them ever to come back after a period of time or is it just done for life don't come back ?

How does your district deal with prospective students that may have been expelled from other districts ?
View Quote

In Connecticut- expulsion can be for as little as 11 days or up to a full calendar year. While suspended or expelled a student can't be on any grounds within the district or school sanctioned events (state law o)- though there are circumstances in which they might have some limited privilege (e.g. attending an assigned alternative programs0. Kids who are subject to expulsion can also be referred to sped and the district would be responsible for evaluating and determining eligibility during that time (I have conducted evals in this kind of situation).  

I have never been present for one of the hearings for entrants who are subject to an expulsion imposed by another district. I can't go into a lot of detail of (due to legal/ confidentiality reasons) but the decision making is very similar to the type of decision making that a district would use when contemplating expulsion during a regular expulsion hearing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Y'all were bitchin' n moanin' about my arithmetic when using 70 hours per week.

I can tell you did not read the thread, not even page 1.

You see, I was just checking this guys assertion.  The 70 hours comes from HIM, not me.

Quoted:  Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

If you do not believe 70 hours per week, bitch with him, not me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Teachers are generally paid fairly. If it's not acceptable, then find another line of work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#12]
So whats the average monthly salary for a teacher?

Everytime I hear about teacher pay issues the complainers make them out to be heros or gods of society and deserve everything under the sun. Pffft.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Everytime I hear about teacher pay issues the complainers make them out to be heros or gods of society and deserve everything under the sun. Pffft.
View Quote

It's entirely dependent upon location, time in system, degrees/certifications and can range wildly.

I see 20 year teachers in MS, OK, KS talking about being at $40-50k/year while those of us in other states with similar are +$100k/year.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's entirely dependent upon location, time in system, degrees/certifications and can range wildly.

I see 20 year teachers in MS, OK, KS talking about being at $40-50k/year while those of us in other states with similar are +$100k/year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is actually no different then an engineer making 200K in LA California VS 60K in Bumfvck Arkansas while doing basically the same job.

Any areas with widely different cost of living tend to have widely different pay scales.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The "teacher pay problem" is teacher union propaganda.

View Quote

No shit.  During the Obama recession the only new cars I saw were at the public school teacher lots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm just glad my grandkids aren't getting indoctrinated by the failures in your rotten bureaucratic system. That fixes the system for our family.

You're a liberal so you can only think like a collectivist. What you'll never understand is that there's no such thing as a collective liberal solution... only individual American solutions.

You don't have the power to fix anything except your own life. Go be an "expert" there. Americans don't need "experts". Decent people who govern themselves don't need to be governed by your bureaucrats. They simply leave your corrupt system behind and create their own parallel system. Home schooling is just one such a parallel system.

In your narcissism, you can't believe someone could both disagree and comprehend.
View Quote

You don't get it. Disagree and comprehend simultaneously is fine, but it is obvious you do not comprehend. I made an open offer to answer questions.  Rather than ask any, you took the easy road and insisted that people are liberals and/or shitheads for not wanting to abandon the vast majority of our country's youth to communists.

It is your problem too whether you like it or not. Your grandkids are getting an acceptable education so fuck everyone else, right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#17]
teachers in NY have it made.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Don’t be fooled. MOST Teachers in MOST public schools systems are paid pretty well. The National average is $50K to $90K. Not too bad for 9 months of work. Many make almost as much during the Summer Break from tutoring and other gigs.

I’m not saying they are getting rich or that good Teachers don’t deserve more but they aren’t working just for the apples.

I would like to see a merit system based on student performance along with a school voucher program. Tie the success of Teachers, Students and Schools together. Also, cut loose “problem” kids. One bad kid can bring down an entire classroom. Some kids need to be left behind.

<———-Wife was a public school Teacher for 9 years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not reading through 8 pages but I think everyone, especially teachers, fail to grasp just how much their pensions are worth.

Teachers in CO get about 62.5% of the average of the 4 highest pay years for life.

So $50k salary gets you a pension of $31250 / year. If you draw that for 35 years that's worth over $1 MM lifetime benefits. The present value of that is over $511k. If the person had worked for 25 years thats roughly equivalent to getting an extra $20k per year in benefits. They get all this by contributing 8% of their salary towards their pension benefits. Do you think most people who earn a lifetime max of $50k and save 8% are able to accumulate over $1MM in their 401k? Nope.
View Quote

Thanks to demographics, a lot of those pensions aren’t going to survive on equal terms. Funding was already questionable and with boomers retiring, it will get a lot worse.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
In our local district, a teacher with a bachelors degree and no experience will start at 42,000/year with a health allowance that is equal to the highest health PPO the state offers.  The contract is for 181 seven hour workdays, which includes 10 sick days and 3 vacation days.  

That same teacher, 20 years later will be making 58,500/year, with benefits being the same.  

Many teachers don't make it 20 years.  The job is much more difficult than most people think.  I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#21]
They are all democrats. We should be cutting their pay. Not raising it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:It is your problem too whether you like it or not. Your grandkids are getting an acceptable education so fuck everyone else, right?
View Quote

"It's not your problem when
you find your own solution."

--tooter

My Grandkids being educated in a parallel American system
DO NOT PREVENT any other parents
from exercising the SAME choice
of self governance over government dependence.

In Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged", Americans withdrew from an immorally corrupt bureaucratic system and formed their own parallel system.

What was once fiction has become prophecy:

in 1992, LAUSD enrolled 737,000 students.
In 2022 it enrolled just 430,000 students.

This is a drop of 41%...

...and yet the 2022 LAUSD budget was 20 BILLION dollars.

That's $46,000 per student per year.

Parents who love their children are LEAVING the rotten liberal government system
and forming their own PARALLEL system just like Atlas Shrugged.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#23]
One of the key issues will be resolved when teachers learn that when only working 9 months a year, they are only entitled to a 75% salary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"It's not your problem when
you find your own solution."

--tooter

My Grandkids being educated in a parallel American system
DO NOT PREVENT any other parents
from exercising the SAME choice
of self governance over government dependence.

In Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged", Americans withdrew from an immorally corrupt bureaucratic system and formed their own parallel system.

What was once fiction has become prophecy:

in 1992, LAUSD enrolled 737,000 students.
In 2022 it enrolled just 430,000 students.

This is a drop of 41%...

...and yet the 2022 LAUSD budget was 20 BILLION dollars.

That's $46,000 per student per year.

Parents who love their children are LEAVING the rotten liberal government system
and forming their own PARALLEL system just like Atlas Shrugged.

View Quote

You're quoting numerical stats from one of the worst areas of the worst states in the entire country, a state where you live and, presumably, pay taxes that fund that cesspool.

What if, instead of ceding the government and all of its associated institutions to liberals and communists, we instead sought out solutions to improve society by fighting back? Making changes on a micro level (moving kids to a private school) is most certainly a good choice at this time. However, that is not attainable on a macro level within the current framework. Let's set about finding solutions rather than throwing up our hands and declaring defeat.

I'm near certain that, if nothing else, you'll agree that the current system is both an exceedingly poor waste of taxpayer dollars AND a major contributing factor to the decay of society, both in this country and in general. (At this juncture, what happens elsewhere is irrelevant until we fix our own country). Agree or disagree?

Putting kids(or grandkids) in private schools and working to fix our currently broken systems are not mutually exclusive, one just requires a great deal more work.  There are plenty of people on this very site trying to do the right thing, whether it is being a good, conservative and moral voice in schools a a teacher, a school board member, or a taxpayer that isn't willing to sit idly by and take potshots at people who are trying instead of complaining.

I am welcoming solutions as a taxpayer, parent, and citizen. If you want to discuss solutions, let's do that. If you'd rather continue complaints, attacks and simplistic world view I'll not respond further.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not anger. It's chickenshits parroting talking points they read off some blog.
If they were really concerned about the state of education in America they could effect change.
Be active in your child's school and school district.
Become a teacher and put your $$$ where your mouth is. Damn few reading this thread want to do that. Probably would cite "low pay" as the reason.

My guess is it isn't low pay keeping them away, but utter lack of any qualifications whatsoever.
View Quote

I think many are becoming teachers.
Home schooling requires just that.

As far as being active in your childs school, you can't fix stupid ass teachers that don't like involved parents, and thye can't be fired unless they get caught molesting your kids.
I was active in the public school system then changed to becoming a teacher of my kids.

The worst home schooling by loving parents is better than the best public school system
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As someone with close relatives who are teachers, they work a years worth in 10 months, if not more it’s not a 8-5 job. It’s more like a 730-930 job. While I hate unions, teachers need the break just as kids do. Also, teachers do work more year round than you think. They work weeks after school ends and start weeks before it begins.
View Quote

I have several ps teachers in my extremely large family, and the ones in grade school barely work 8 a day.
One teaching in continuation high school is about the same.

Out of curiosity, how do you calculate that they are working 14 hour days?
I haven't met a teacher yet that works those kind of hours.

They have lesson plans for days so that kind of prep is not necessary.

Please walk us through their 14 hour days for better understanding
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If your child is lying that is an issue between you and the child. The teacher is not hired to discipline your child. If they do, most parents will flip out as their special crotch fruit can do no wrong. If your kid is a liar, you handle that at home and make lying an uncomfortable and undesirable choice. (Read up on behavior shaping/behavior tools for some strategies).

For the teachers that did go out of their way to help, good on the, and you should be thankful, they are not obligated to as they are now setting the precedent that they need to communicate with or make special accountability deals with every kid and parents out there. (An aside, the teacher could do away with any of these issues by posting the assignments online where it is your child or your responsibility to figure it out.)

Again, this is a cultural and societal issue - no accountability for kids or parents. If your kid is screwing off, the teacher cannot fix them. They can provide guidance and teach the content, but (no offense, seriously! ) the lying and resultant bad outcomes for your kid (or any of the other kids in the class, for that matter) are not their problem.
View Quote

Thanks for that info captain obvious.
We knew that was a problem with our child.
You would think teachers who are paid to educate would not have an issue for involved parents,

Bad teachers are just as apathetic as uninvolved parents

No offense taken, I have to deal with lazy ass people daily just like the lazy ass teachers.
I get it, no one likes to do more than they think they need to.

Again the worst homeschool education from loving parents is normally better than the best public school education.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're quoting numerical stats from one of the worst areas of the worst states in the entire country, a state where you live and, presumably, pay taxes that fund that cesspool.

What if, instead of ceding the government and all of its associated institutions to liberals and communists, we instead sought out solutions to improve society by fighting back? Making changes on a micro level (moving kids to a private school) is most certainly a good choice at this time. However, that is not attainable on a macro level within the current framework. Let's set about finding solutions rather than throwing up our hands and declaring defeat.

I'm near certain that, if nothing else, you'll agree that the current system is both an exceedingly poor waste of taxpayer dollars AND a major contributing factor to the decay of society, both in this country and in general. (At this juncture, what happens elsewhere is irrelevant until we fix our own country). Agree or disagree?

Putting kids(or grandkids) in private schools and working to fix our currently broken systems are not mutually exclusive, one just requires a great deal more work.  There are plenty of people on this very site trying to do the right thing, whether it is being a good, conservative and moral voice in schools a a teacher, a school board member, or a taxpayer that isn't willing to sit idly by and take potshots at people who are trying instead of complaining.

I am welcoming solutions as a taxpayer, parent, and citizen. If you want to discuss solutions, let's do that. If you'd rather continue complaints, attacks and simplistic world view I'll not respond further.
View Quote

Those stats are where I live so that's what I'm most familiar with.
The collapse in enrollment demonstrates a positive solution:

GET YOUR KIDS OUT.

California is on the leading edge of societal decay, and anyone who believes this liberal rot won't spread to where they live is a fool.

I actually have no personal complaints about your public education system, because my family (and friends) all homeschool their children in their own education system.

The liberal public education clusterfuck is your creation. Your rotten system can't be fixed because liberal Democrat unions here like UTLA run the public schools. Your system can only DIE from parents taking their kids OUT... and here, they are taking them out by the thousands which pleases me to no end.

Getting your kids OUT of the rotten public education system
and creating your own PARALLEL system
is by far the most POSITIVE action any parent can take.

THIS is the American solution because it is individual and is INDEPENDENT of what the government does or what others do.
You don't need to try to form some liberal collective to "discuss" fake solutions. You're totally on the wrong track, so get a spine.

Collective liberal solutions won't work.
because they caused the problem.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Something needs to change. My wife works 70 hours a week for 10.5 months for less than she would make at a Buc'ees stocking Beaver Nuggets.
View Quote

I've never met a teacher that worked 70 hour weeks.  That's K-12 or college, and STEM, liberal arts, or Special Ed.

Is she a coaching a sport?  I guess that I could see it during the sports season of that activity, but that's it.

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top