Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2022 3:58:37 PM EDT
I work in a room with one other person.  I'm a boomer, he's Gen-Z.  We normally just do our own work, which includes a fair amount of time spent on the phone.  And the few conversations we have are generally light-hearted.

Today I was having a conversation with a vendor, and he made a call to another vendor.  His voice was noticably louder than usual - in fact, he was "Yellaughing" if you catch my drift.  I finished with my call, and he made another, this time at a significantly lower volume level.

So I politely told him that he was awfully loud in that conversation, which disrupted my ability to converse in mine.

You'd have thought I'd called him a piece of shit asshole and threatened to SIIHPAPP his girlfriend.  I mean, he got profoundly defensive and shot back with some ridiculous comments like:

"Well, you talk on speakerphone sometimes."
"Fine, I'll endeavor not to do that anymore."
"It doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is you complaining about my voice.  I'm not going to worry about my volume when I'm doing my job talking to vendors!"
"What about when I'm talking to vendors?"
"Maybe we just shouldn't be working here on the same days if you can't handle it."
"Well, if that's what you want.  What I want is for you to recognize that you and I are in a room doing our jobs, and we both need to be aware of the environment, and how our voices affect each other."
"That's fucking bullshit."

I have noticed lately that he thinks he's being overworked.  I got news for you, sunshine:  You have no idea how good you've got it.  I've been in the real world, and your workload ain't shit.  
You're stressed, I'm stressed, everybody's stressed.  Stop being such a selfish little prick.

Quite frankly, his little tantrum will lead me to order a tall cubicle divider to put between us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quite frankly, his little tantrum will lead me to order a tall cubicle divider to put between us.
View Quote

Put a ceiling over his and a door on the front.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I got news for you, sunshine:  You have no idea how good you've got it.  I've been in the real world, and your workload ain't shit.  
You're stressed, I'm stressed, everybody's stressed.  Stop being such a selfish little prick.

You you say that to him or are you just saying that to us?

If it's the latter, why are saying that to us instead of him?

Shared workspaces suck because people suck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Next time, maybe you should not call him a 'piece of shit asshole'.

(sorry, I couldn't help myself )

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait for winter.  Put on your cold weather gear.  Freeze yourself into a Snowman.   Ambush him when he shows up to work in the morning.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You might be the only boomer I have ever heard of without his own office.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
start addressing him as "cupcake"
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
start addressing him as "cupcake"
View Quote

and start eating egg sandwiches with onion rings for breakfast, washed down with mt dew. crop dust his snowflake ass every time he gets on the phone. be ruthless.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and start eating egg sandwiches with onion rings for breakfast, washed down with mt dew. crop dust his snowflake ass every time he gets on the phone. be ruthless.
View Quote

Bring boiled eggs for a snack.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Old man yells at louds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew a girl in college that genuinely held a grudge against anyone that corrected her. I met her about halfway through college and she always pretty much hated this girl that was really sweet and kept to herself. One day the crazy girl told us why she hated her, because the sweet girl made her look stupid in the classroom.

It turned out that the crazy girl answered a question wrong, then the teacher asked the next girl, and she got it right, so the crazy girl hated her.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh. That's weird. Usually it is the Boomers being douches with their phone etiquette and scoff in response if told to keep it down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Pee on his leg, for dominance of course.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Good fences, make good neighbors
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I work in a room with one other person.  I'm a boomer, he's Gen-Z.  We normally just do our own work, which includes a fair amount of time spent on the phone.  And the few conversations we have are generally light-hearted.

Today I was having a conversation with a vendor, and he made a call to another vendor.  His voice was noticably louder than usual - in fact, he was "Yellaughing" if you catch my drift.  I finished with my call, and he made another, this time at a significantly lower volume level.

So I politely told him that he was awfully loud in that conversation, which disrupted my ability to converse in mine.

You'd have thought I'd called him a piece of shit asshole and threatened to SIIHPAPP his girlfriend.  I mean, he got profoundly defensive and shot back with some ridiculous comments like:

"It doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is you complaining about my voice.  I'm not going to worry about my volume when I'm doing my job talking to vendors!"
"Maybe we just shouldn't be working here on the same days if you can't handle it."
"Well, if that's what you want.  What I want is for you to recognize that you and I are in a room doing our jobs, and we both need to be aware of the environment, and how our voices affect each other."

I have noticed lately that he thinks he's being overworked.  I got news for you, sunshine:  You have no idea how good you've got it.  I've been in the real world, and your workload ain't shit.  

View Quote

Just work from home
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
This deserves an epic parody thread.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to work in a small company in NYC. Four of us were in one cube, with each of us with a corner. This one guy would make personal phone calls on speaker phone. He was buying a house as a real estate investment. He had the balls to shush us once when we were to loud. Holy thundercunt batman.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 35 and I have two co workers that react the same way. Granted, it's a machine shop, but both of them have a "fuck the next guy" attitude when it comes to the finer details of finishing parts.

It's painful to watch a 30 year old and 34 year old slam drawers, doors, tools, etc because they were told to finish their own parts i.e. smoothing edges and scotch-brite flat surfaces.

I feel as though these types of people never received PROPER discipline growing up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Some people just can't handle a little constructive criticism...
View Quote

what are you trying to say!?!?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That'll show him!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Well no wonder. Boomer use speaker phone without asking if it's okay with him. Smh.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
careful, work may make you take anger management classes. That happened to a boomer that I worked with. Nice guy but he upset the wrong person and HR did a number on him.

I find when I have intolerable coworkers the easiest thing to do is find a new job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Old man Yellaughs at clouds?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Steal the A H O L E keys off his keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Where do you find your inspiration op?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pee on his leg, for dominance of course.
View Quote

Maybe take dump on his desk when he leaves to go to his safe space?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got news for you, sunshine:  You have no idea how good you've got it.  I've been in the real world, and your workload ain't shit.  

View Quote

Just you.

No need for me to be anything but calm and non-confrontative.
But I can certainly vent here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You might be the only boomer I have ever heard of without his own office.
View Quote

Tell me about it.  We were put together so I could mentor him.

Ain't workin'.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Old man yells at louds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just work from home
View Quote

I do, three days a week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Turn your hearing aids down
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I’d eat a fucken bullet if I had to work in a cubicle. Or an office for that matter.

Being an electrician is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#33]
He complained to the boss, and now I don't work in the office the same days as him.

No skin off my back.  What the boss doesn't realize is that, with such a hair trigger temper and fragile ego, he's going to have issues with a lot more employees.
The worst part is that I want him to succeed, and if he can't handle being a part of a team, and alienates everyone in the office, then decides that he's not the problem and seeks employment elsewhere, he'll be in for a rude awakening.

What's that saying? (I'm paraphrasing...)  "If you have problems with everyone around you, maybe you are the problem."
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys work in the same small room making calls?

Time to find another place more than anything. What am I missing? Even cubicles sound better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Take his stapler!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Take his stapler!!!
View Quote

No. Put it in Jello.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just you.

I get it.  I didn't want my post to seem edgy and that I'm attacking you.

Maybe you can approach this guy by being calm, but if he responds with disproportionate emotion, that would be difficult to deal with moving forward.

Vent here all you want.  Nobody will probably have good advice because we aren't there in the office with you.

Looks like you no longer together, which is good for you!  Some people can't get out of their own way, even if you want the best for them.  He sounds like one of those guys.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#38]
bring a metal file into work, when he goes to the bathroom file new notches in his keys. nothing will work for him. a real inconvenience for him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

stopped right there. did you really say endeavor?

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not having read the rest of the thread, I'm GenX, and on this, I'm with you.  Take that shit to a private office.  Plus the insane overreaction to criticism.

I never served, so I don't even have those habits guiding my view, but my God, are the generations after mine really fucking sensitive to criticism.  I have a Millennial boss (because I'm an idiot), and wow!  Do they feel it necessary to submerge any needed criticism within about nine layers of how great I am, but...

Dude, we're not having this conversation if you weren't correcting me, so correct me, I'll try to do that shit/stop doing this shit next time, and we can get on with doing the giant piles of work we both have.

It's weird...
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Laugh at him
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#42]
We have a guy that works with us that is the loudest motherfucker I've ever heard.  

I work from home.  If I'm on the phone with anyone in the office, I can hear him talking on the phone through his shut door. It's honestly unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Calm him down. Ask him the significance of his tattoos and where he gets that great coffee that smells like a llama’s sphincter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#45]
My gut feeling is he was being loud intentionally to try and irritate you. Sounds exactly like the type of passive aggressive shit some people pull when they're upset with you about something, but can't address it because it's retarded and they'll look retarded.

But I dunno.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Bring a Fairbairn-Sykes knife to work, keep it in your pencil cup (it's just a letter-opener, doncha know...)

When you are the only two in your work area, bring out an oilstone and slowly sharpen it, while silently staring at him with a knowing grin.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#47]
You should take his stapler.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Go to his house,  stomp his daffodils,  key his Prius then fuck his cat.

That'll show him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
stopped right there. did you really say endeavor?
View Quote

I guess "try" would have been an appropriate response.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Has he ever bitched to you about your calls that annoyed him before?
View Quote

No.  And I've never given him any reason to think he couldn't have told me it did.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top