User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a lot of motors engines.
View Quote
The engines cost around $200k alone. I'm guessing that rig probably cost around $400k.

Mercury 400hp Verado V10 $43,565.00

2024 Cobia 350CC  with twin Yamaha 425hp engines - $356k
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Anybody with enough $ to buy one doesn't give a fuck. Most of them are tax write-offs. Take clients on the company boat etc.

The people who buy these think as much about paying for them as a guy like me thinks about buying an ATV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depreciates faster than a virgin whore in a brothel.

Anybody with enough $ to buy one doesn't give a fuck. Most of them are tax write-offs. Take clients on the company boat etc.

The people who buy these think as much about paying for them as a guy like me thinks about buying an ATV.

I have a customer that bought a Canyon 456 brand new when it came out in '21 (base price of $1,250,000), takes it out regularly, but has decided it's too small/not what he wants, so he is selling it at a massive loss to buy a brand new Viking 64 or 68. He will probably get bored with that in a few years and get something bigger.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How many drug runs to pay that off?
View Quote

Maybe that’s Captain Stabbin’s new boat
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The boat appears to be a Marine Technologies Inc. MTI-V

https://marinetechnologyinc.com/mti-v-series/

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2021-mti-v42-8857361/

2022 Marine Technology Inc MTI SV42 Power Boat - Walkaround Tour - 2022 Miami Boat Show
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
How much does something like that cost to operate per hour?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$250K + in motors alone.
View Quote

I KNEW there was a catch!

I don't want an electric powered boat!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Each one of those engines are close to $100k for perspective.
View Quote
Not a boat guy obviously, but why do outboards cost so much?

I can buy a 400hp car for less than that, and it comes with a whole car.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Barely one mpg.  The fuel bill is gross.
View Quote

At speed, much closer to 0.25mpg. And probably paying $6/gal to have it delivered to the boat instead of going to fuel dock.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously? Over $60 grand each? Holy crap.
View Quote

High horsepower outboard motors are ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depreciates faster than a virgin whore in a brothel.
View Quote
I paid $165k for a brand-new Regal 28 Express last March. Used it for a year...just sold it for $190k.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could get chicks with that boat.

Oh wait, no I couldn't because I couldn't afford the petroleum or maintenance.
View Quote
Dock party!
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stick 1/3rd your car in salt water 24/7 and run it uphill all the time at 2,500 to 5,000 rpm’s for 1,000 hours with just fuel and oil changes.

That’s what those motors have to endure.  There is no coasting , boat motors are always under a load and operate in a harsh environment.

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I lived in the Keys for a year. Boats like that were everywhere.
Last week

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/401569/PXL_20230623_185425717-2869550.jpg

I could be friends with the owner of that boat. Fo sho.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#15]

If you know what that is, you would also really want it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not gonna lie...I'd captain that thing proudly.
View Quote

That could be teh Flagship of teh Ohio Navy.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#18]
if i had the money i'd buy this just to name it "FO TIME" and cruise around playing crockett's theme whilst angering liberals and suchlike.

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme (Miami Vice)

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A lot less than the Nordhavn I want.

View Quote

We spent a couple weeks on a 56 that a buddy owns down in Mexico last November,  those are very nice boats.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the looks/styling of Pardo Yachts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]
The rich and shameless have been running retro wooden boats here for a couple of years. Two or three local Stancraft Hammerhead 360s that start at about $900,000. Make no mistake, they can fly and some are fitted with biminis that actually look really good. Our wooden boat show is coming up, I'm going to try and get some good pictures of the interiors. They are impressive, the prow looks like a miniature warship coming at you head on.
Attachment Attached File

The other hot ticket are modern versions of pocket cruiser/trawlers. Kind of a weird thing, but some of them are fitted out beautifully and have really nice lines. Given a choice between the two, I think I'd opt for the comfort, range and live-aboard option of the cruiser over the speedboat.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#23]
boyne thunder off shore boat race comes to town next weekend, it is a display of wealth that rivals anything.  trucks to pull them are half a million, one guy told me his tilting trailer was 200k.  Been coming here for 25 years, its a poker run to raise money for a camp for kids with cancer, so they do a lot of good.  Marinia always asks people to give up their slip for weekend, I never do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
We have a member here that has a boat that puts that one to shame

IYKYK

ETA: I see he already chimed in .  One of these days I'll get down to where he is and drool over it in person.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#25]
30+ years ago I had a sailboat (Cape Dory 25) that I bought used and kept at a fairly high end marina in westbrook ct because it was fairly close to where I lived and worked .

On my dock alone there were 19 other boats both power and sail in the 25-45 ft range. All these boats were quite a bit more spendy than mine.

I mostly spent weekends on the boat and would pile on several early evenings each week. A couple other boats were used about the same as mine but you could count on the other 15 or 16 to be just sitting there with nobody using them for the most part .

My conclusion was that the folks who could afford these high end boats were business owners who had no spare time after running their business.

In general when the economy is booming folks buy boats and when the economy takes a shit those same boats sit there with "for sale" signs .

Boom and bust is the way of the boat business
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
boyne thunder off shore boat race comes to town next weekend, it is a display of wealth that rivals anything.  trucks to pull them are half a million, one guy told me his tilting trailer was 200k.  Been coming here for 25 years, its a poker run to raise money for a camp for kids with cancer, so they do a lot of good.  Marinia always asks people to give up their slip for weekend, I never do.
View Quote

Saw my first tilting trailer last summer after the clan gathered to commemorate the four guys killed in a blowover up towards the dam. Didn't help the "pilot" was doing 100mph into a 20mph headwind, and two times over the legal drink limit.

If you haven't seen one, it's a trailer that hydraulically lifts one side of the boat to get around width restrictions on the highways. Very cool to see in operation.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Stick 1/3rd your car in salt water 24/7 and run it uphill all the time at 2,500 to 5,000 rpm's for 1,000 hours with just fuel and oil changes.

That's what those motors have to endure.  There is no coasting , boat motors are always under a load and operate in a harsh environment.

View Quote
ehh..both mercury and volvo penta basically use GM LS/LT based blocks, I think Ilmore does too,  they change a bunch of shit but they are expensive because they can be.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#28]
It’s funny. Because I’m exposed to this stuff so much it jades me. That boat is smaller than half the tender(s) for my owner’s yacht. Likewise he owns planes. As a result of spending years around that I have no desire to own a boat or airplane because I will never be in the world where I could afford the boats or planes that I’m around or operate and have no desire to own less capable boats and airplanes even when I could afford a reasonable fishing boat and a 30 year old Baron.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My dream boat is a 54 Yellowfin with quad 600s. 1.6 million.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124978/54YF_jpg-2869412.JPG
View Quote

But..........could you afford the gas, or will it just stay tied up at the dock?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Those outboard are tall. New 600hp version?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Those boats are gorgeous. I had never heard of them until I started watching the Haulover inlet videos and I am always checking out boats near Galveston Bay.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

not as much as blackfox’s canoe

depends how fast you’re going, but 30-60gph i’m sure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But..........could you afford the gas, or will it just stay tied up at the dock?
View Quote

If I could buy it, I would be able to fill it up. It has a 900 gallon tank. Gas at a marina is about $6.00 a gallon. $5400.00 to fill up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]
SS Nose Candy
SS Yayo$
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Saw my first tilting trailer last summer after the clan gathered to commemorate the four guys killed in a blowover up towards the dam. Didn't help the "pilot" was doing 100mph into a 20mph headwind, and two times over the legal drink limit.

If you haven't seen one, it's a trailer that hydraulically lifts one side of the boat to get around width restrictions on the highways. Very cool to see in operation.
View Quote
Saw one of those with a go fast boat on it last summer. It was badass.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I doubt that would even cover the outboards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$87,000 i reckon.
I doubt that would even cover the outboards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Just to have those motors serviced would be $5k +
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The engines cost around $200k alone. I'm guessing that rig probably cost around $400k.

Mercury 400hp Verado V10 $43,565.00

2024 Cobia 350CC  with twin Yamaha 425hp engines - $356k
View Quote

You can  call em motors. Everyone does. Its ok. They fall under the definition of a motor.

Since arfcom is on a  motor vs engine kick....
mo·tor
['mod?r]
NOUN
a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it has the word "Marine" in the name.  Someone else has already explained why.  When in the world of boating, pick a number you think would be reasonable for anything (from a water pump to a piece of stainless steel) and then triple it.  

One thing Florida did well was create a tax exemption for boats.  You only pay $18K max for any boat you buy (which basically means you only pay tax on the first $275K).  There are no annual property taxes on boats in FL either.  My boat costs me $27.50/year to own in Florida.  As a result we have a massive number of boats and the world's largest boating support system in the world.  Roll around Fort Lauderdale for a bit and that little guy in the OP won't even get your attention
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#40]
A million
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Friend had a triple 250hp center console. He was always willing to take someone out, if they paid for the gas.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

.................  Roll around Fort Lauderdale for a bit and that little guy in the OP won't even get your attention
View Quote

That is truth. The boats around here are insane.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Man I bet that thing MOVES!
View Quote

I wonder if I'd have any bit of my spine left over running full throttle in rough water.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That would look good being towed behind my boat
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The rich and shameless have been running retro wooden boats here for a couple of years. Two or three local Stancraft Hammerhead 360s that start at about $900,000. Make no mistake, they can fly and some are fitted with biminis that actually look really good. Our wooden boat show is coming up, I'm going to try and get some good pictures of the interiors. They are impressive, the prow looks like a miniature warship coming at you head on.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/hammer_jpeg-2869730.JPG

The other hot ticket are modern versions of pocket cruiser/trawlers. Kind of a weird thing, but some of them are fitted out beautifully and have really nice lines. Given a choice between the two, I think I'd opt for the comfort, range and live-aboard option of the cruiser over the speedboat.
View Quote

lake CDA?  i went there for many a summer in high school & college. stayed on spokane river at family friends house. wakeboarding, jet skiing & lots of good fishing was had. miss those days.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

More than you make in a month, pal
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
$87,000 i reckon.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Stick 1/3rd your car in salt water 24/7 and run it uphill all the time at 2,500 to 5,000 rpm's for 1,000 hours with just fuel and oil changes.

That's what those motors have to endure.  There is no coasting , boat motors are always under a load and operate in a harsh environment.

View Quote

I get that, but I just don't know what goes into making that happen.  A lot of it may be economy of scale or just what people are willing to pay. I don't know, it's just something that has always intrigued me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That would look good being towed behind my boat
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top