Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Time- Pink Floyd

I’ve heard the song 100s of times, but one day after turning 30 I was driving and it came on and hit me like a ton of bricks.

I guess it was the realization that I’m getting older.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
We were Soldiers-Sgt.MacKenzie
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ten Years Gone (1990 Remaster)

Might as well be 20 years gone.

I don’t like the man but this song cuts deep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Gone Away by the Offspring.

I've never lost a child, but damn...it got me when I first really listened to the words and realized what he was singing about.

Torn to Pieces by Pop Evil. About him losing his dad. My dad died when I was 18 months old. He was 33. Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
This one for reasons

Cody Jinks | SOBER THING | Official Lyric Video

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Bodies by Drowning Pool is another one, but that one feeds a different kind of emotion. Lol.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Nobody picked Teddy Bear by Red Sovine?  jeez.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any time I hear Simple Man I have to fight back tears. I love my mom so much, miss her so much too. She's been gone for 2 years now. Tomorrow would have been her 67th birthday.

This song gets me. Especially the line "I have been guilty of kicking myself in the teeth."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E17hqs4Un-k
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Leaning On The Everlasting Arms

Reminds me of going to church with my grandparents
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The Marmalade — Reflections Of My Life (lyrics)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Monsters - James Blunt

I watched as my mother died in front of me - pulmonary fibrosis. Last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFbGcnl0po
View Quote

Oh man...I'm scrolling through this thread having a drink trying to forget/remember/relax whatever.

I watched my dad pass yesterday at noon...fuck I lost it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh man...I'm scrolling through this thread having a drink trying to forget/remember/relax whatever.

View Quote

Sorry for your loss sir. My sincere condolences. Peace be with you and yours.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Ticking Bomb by Aloe Blacc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7jVqok1bqw
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

So sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Let Me Walk, Lord, By Your Side
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Pop Evil - Torn to Pieces

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah. God pulled a dirty trick on us when he decided to only let them live 1/4 as long as us.

https://media.tenor.com/-6Jsf_BfAM4AAAAe/holy-grail-monty-python.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Our one pooch is getting old but I'm sure we've still got several years but I know it's coming and there's nothing that can be done about it.
Yeah. God pulled a dirty trick on us when he decided to only let them live 1/4 as long as us.

https://media.tenor.com/-6Jsf_BfAM4AAAAe/holy-grail-monty-python.png

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ABSOLUTELY.  And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ABSOLUTELY.  And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic

Listen to this rendition....https://youtu.be/9joAHhzm6EY?si=9XTSe4flWE7mdd7v
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
"Chasing Butterflies" (Song for my dog )- Jordon Frank
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Got  the  call and  drove from Mobile, Alabama to Tyler, Tx. most of  the night.
Got there in time to be with  my Mother as  I watched her take her last breath  while holding  her  hand.  I was alone in  the room  as my  Dad  was bereft and breaking down.
Blake Shelton - The Baby (Official Music Video)

We lost  our 34 year old son totally  unexpectedly when we were oversea's in  Africa where we worked/lived.  Nightmare getting home to bury him. Turns  out  he  had heart disease that  no  one knew  about.  He  laid down to take  a  nap and  died in  his sleep.
No  parent  should bury  a child. It is not  right nor natural.
Jamey Johnson - Lead Me Home Lyrics!

Casting Crowns - Scars in Heaven (Official Lyric Video)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]
These three.

Santo & Johnny - Sleep walk [Original instrumental]

Vide Cor Meum - libretto in Italian / Latin with translation.

Luciano Pavarotti sings "Nessun dorma" from Turandot (The Three Tenors in Concert 1994)

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Charity Gayle - I Speak Jesus (feat. Steven Musso) [Live]

Charity Gayle.
I Speak Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]
"Fall on Me" by Andrea Bocelli and his son, Matteo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Jamey Johnson - In Color (Official Video)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Cats In The Cradle-Harry Chapin
Cats in the cradle. Anything about kids growing up and moving on gets me. It's a reminder that time is short, and there is no getting it back.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#33]

I feel terrible now, because I've loved that song my whole life. Just the voice and instrumentation were so perfect, I never really paid attention what the song was about. Damn
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#34]

1917 (2019) - The Wayfaring Stranger Scene (7/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Never appreciated the punch in the gut so many of these songs are until learning where they came from and/or what became of their singers.

Croce's "Time In A Bottle," Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," of course inspired (at least in part) by Syd Barret's descent into madness, Gerry Rafferty's "Mattie's Rag," a song for his young daughter where he sings of looking forward to growing to be a "grand old man of Rock" and telling her his stories (Rafferty ultimately passes away at 63).

Paul Westerberg's "Good Day" is about his then-recently passed, former Replacements bandmate, Bob Stinson.

"The Soul Cages" is almost a whole album of songs that Sting wrote about his father and his father's passing. The title track's conclusion includes a reprise to first song on the album ("Island of Souls ") that is still a punch in the gut every time I hear it.
Sting - The Soul Cages (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I feel terrible now, because I've loved that song my whole life. Just the voice and instrumentation were so perfect, I never really paid attention what the song was about. Damn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Offspring - Gone Away (Official Audio)

Better
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
'Puff the Magic Dragon' ?    
View Quote
Not sure if that smiley face means you are joking or not, but that one gets me too. Just like Cats in the Cradle, any song about little kids growing up and moving on gets me. It used to be about my own childhood that I knew would never happen again. Now it's my own kids. I love seeing them grow and become really awesome people, but I miss those little people and all of the things we used to do together, and I know they are never coming back. Lots of stuff rolls off my back. Not this one. Definitely gets me a bit teary sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#38]
It brings back that one memory. That one that stings .

The Manhattans - Kiss and Say Goodbye
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxQ9nPfC-c
Better

Yeah, that rendition seems to be more on point with what the song is about.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If a song makes you cry you need to do two things, get your test checked and change music genres.
View Quote
Music as entertainment vs art. I know a few that think the purpose of music is to make money. I think their opinion on the subject is altogether wrong and they are missing out. When you are done being macho, maybe you can find some art that really touches you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Music as entertainment vs art. I know a few that think the purpose of music is to make money. I think their opinion on the subject is altogether wrong and they are missing out. When you are done being macho, maybe you can find some art that really touches you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a song makes you cry you need to do two things, get your test checked and change music genres.
Ya, there are some bonafide Billy Badasses in this thread; even more so than the normal garden-variety GD tough guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#43]
The Wild Rover - Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-cCats in the cradle. Anything about kids growing up and moving on gets me. It's a reminder that time is short, and there is no getting it back.

View Quote

This one really gets me too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
One that surprised me was Willie Nelson's "The Scientist".  Came on at the very end of a movie I was watching late one night during the credits
View Quote

Both my girls were on dance team in HS. Their coach would put together a beautiful show of them and their team mates dancing to some slow song. She always chose the perfect song. The one year she chose this song. I thought she was nuts. Willie Nelson? Really? One of my favorite shows.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#46]
My Dad died with dementia

Glen Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Silversun Pickups-Growing Old Is Getting Old Interface AOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
To much heaven by the beegees
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#50]
May have been said before but Maggie’s song by Chris Stapleton.just can’t get through it without shedding a tear.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top