Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Guns, you have a PM on your blocked arf.com issue.

I was way late to your thread last year, but in early this year! Looks great so far.

One question... You have a big box store close to you that you get supplies from? If so can you let us know what it is?

ETA: Did a quick seach on Powell and it looks like no Lowes or Home Depot, but I see an ACE.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you!  

She found the "NASA" font online yesterday and I think she was able to download it on her laptop, but if that didn't work, I'll let her know about helvecta.  She is working on the first of three final designs.

NASA's Graphics Standards Manual:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_graphics_manual_nhb_1430-2_jan_1976.pdf?linkId=16902171

Its not Helvecta. It's Helvetica. Very common font on lots of stuff. Should already be on your computers.

Also, guns, there's no way you should have work pausing for lack of a single tape measure or flat head screwdriver. I know you don't want this to be a big charity case, but if you would post a tool list, we could do a lot of damage at various Harbor Freights and send you some great stuff.

I think you also need some more 20v DeWalt tools to go with that saw...
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I love #1 just for the silliness, but if I could have just one, it would be #2, which is closest to how you'll display it.  Thanks for giving a shoutout to the folks @ Rockwell.  If you could find a Rockwell retirees forum I bet you could fund your next 3 projects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Update 10/6

T shirt designs

We have 3 designs right now.   We can modify them if we need to.  We are hoping to offer all three.    Nothing is set in stone, but here is what we are thinking:

Design 1=  Flight Operations
front
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7566/29528884264_2b0cf8098f.jpg

back
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5032/29528884254_5c653dfc2c.jpg

Design 2=  Shuttle Crew
front
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5056/29528884324_f8dfbfebbe.jpg

back
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5664/29528884424_b159255da8.jpg

Design 3= Shuttle Command
front
https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5745/29528884434_611df8cfe8.jpg

back
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5091/29528884204_1cb86c4fda.jpg

I love #1 just for the silliness, but if I could have just one, it would be #2, which is closest to how you'll display it.  Thanks for giving a shoutout to the folks @ Rockwell.  If you could find a Rockwell retirees forum I bet you could fund your next 3 projects.

Agreed. I missed the thread until now, glad it looks to have a lot of work left. Any plans for taxidermy this year?

If I get a deer with my bow and anyone's willing to do the work, I'd be willing to pay for my form, shipping and 2-3 more for other class members just to be a part of it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was way late to your thread last year, but in early this year! Looks great so far.

One question... You have a big box store close to you that you get supplies from? If so can you let us know what it is?

ETA: Did a quick seach on Powell and it looks like no Lowes or Home Depot, but I see an ACE.
View Quote

We do have an Ace store, and a Big R store.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Question:  Are you using the 18 ga Bostitch Air Stapler/nailer to connect the spars together, as well as the sheeting onto the skeleton?  Brads or staples?

Wondering which you are using, and if there's a special type (stainless, elctro-galvanized gold, dip galvanized silver, etc).    I use the narrow gauge staples for a lot of stuff, especially since staple guns (T50 size, typical) tend to bend too much on me.   Narrow gauge staples anchor stuff together as good as sheetrock screws, and without splitting the wood!

View Quote

We've been using a narrow staple with the 18ga. Bostitch.   They work well but not so well on the Pen and ink board for the skin.  

We use a T 50 hand stapler and 3/8ths staples for the skin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are your thoughts on the members who want to contribute to the project setting you up with a gift card at your preferred store?

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on the members who want to contribute to the project setting you up with a gift card at your preferred store?  
View Quote

That would be very generous.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent!

Which store would you prefer to shop at? Im sure we can scrape up a few dollars for the project!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Excellent!

Which store would you prefer to shop at? Im sure we can scrape up a few dollars for the project!
View Quote

Ace has lots of inexpensive tool options.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

let me know I will go in on that
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no idea if Guns has any kids, but am I wrong in thinking he'd be this kind of dad?

Tautaun Costume

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea if Guns has any kids, but am I wrong in thinking he'd be this kind of dad?

Tautaun Costume

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--MFgkB-mK--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/khxyxtrc7jnnfxzbpf0j.gif
View Quote

Hell yes......but I'm glad my boys are almost grown.  Actually, I miss that age,
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+2 Count me in.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Update 10/17

My son and classmates 3D printed these parts as a possible answer to the cargo bay door actuator system.

This is a small scale model of what we night end up with.  It's programmed to go 180, 90 and 0. Hopefully they can replicate it on a larger scale

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't believe I haven't seen his thread until today.

It looks awesome, Guns.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+2 Count me in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2 Count me in.
Anyone that wants to contribute can PM me and Ill take it from there.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A T50 Air Stapler from Arrow is only $35.  Save them hands, and make mistakes at speeds never known before!   Actually, fewer errors due to no movement between aiming and trigger, which happens with the squeeze staple guns.

Fair Warning:  Do NOT get the electric/Solenoid T50 stapler.    Stick with the air stapler for T50, and continue using the narrow crown Bostich stapler for structural, that's an awesome stapler!  

What length staples have you been using in the narrow crown stapler?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:  Are you using the 18 ga Bostitch Air Stapler/nailer to connect the spars together, as well as the sheeting onto the skeleton?  Brads or staples?

Wondering which you are using, and if there's a special type (stainless, elctro-galvanized gold, dip galvanized silver, etc).    I use the narrow gauge staples for a lot of stuff, especially since staple guns (T50 size, typical) tend to bend too much on me.   Narrow gauge staples anchor stuff together as good as sheetrock screws, and without splitting the wood!

We've been using a narrow staple with the 18ga. Bostitch.   They work well but not so well on the Pen and ink board for the skin.  

We use a T 50 hand stapler and 3/8ths staples for the skin.

A T50 Air Stapler from Arrow is only $35.  Save them hands, and make mistakes at speeds never known before!   Actually, fewer errors due to no movement between aiming and trigger, which happens with the squeeze staple guns.

Fair Warning:  Do NOT get the electric/Solenoid T50 stapler.    Stick with the air stapler for T50, and continue using the narrow crown Bostich stapler for structural, that's an awesome stapler!  

What length staples have you been using in the narrow crown stapler?

7/8ths

A little short at times,  and long when putting the 1/4" strips together, but we have a lot of them. Or, we had a lot of them.

I understand not using an electric version.  I have a personal one, and it sucks for almost everything.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Let's not get this locked for unauthorized fundraising....that's all I ask.    
That said, if you are contact ACE, ask for Sylvia.  She's the manager, and knows her stuff.  She also knows me.....but don't believe everything she says.  

She's a firecracker.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Updating my post Guns.

And Ill ask for Sylvia!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#22]
guns,

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Perfect.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Subtotal so far:
View Quote

I'm going to update this a bit.   We used approximately 100 sheets of pen and ink board so far.   Those cost about $3.50 each

so :

$347.00
+ 350.00
---------------

Sub total so far on the project:
$697.00
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Update 10/18

E-95 Contacted me and offered to donate a few mission patches that he had collected.   Today they came in!

Amazing....absolutely amazing.  

Thank you E-95!!  They will go up in the display after I get a chance to show them to the kids, then eventually will be displayed permanently with the Shuttle.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Those were the very earliest flights, when the shuttle still had twin ejection seats.  Hence only a two-man crew and a mostly empty cargo bay.  Neat patches.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those were the very earliest flights, when the shuttle still had twin ejection seats.  Hence only a two-man crew and a mostly empty cargo bay.  Neat patches.
View Quote

Yea, I was 13 when STS-1 lifted off the pad.  I had every intention of collecting every mission patch but as often happens with 13-year-olds I got distracted after the first few.  I had STS-4 and STS-5 around at one point but they probably ended up wherever my Kung-Fu Grip G.I. Joes went.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yea, I was 13 when STS-1 lifted off the pad.  I had every intention of collecting every mission patch but as often happens with 13-year-olds I got distracted after the first few.  I had STS-4 and STS-5 around at one point but they probably ended up wherever my Kung-Fu Grip G.I. Joes went.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My kids went to Columbia Elementary in Sunnyvale, CA (now a middle school apparently) Crippen and Young came to visit when they were in 1st and 3rd grade. Both of them have a signed picture of the first Columbia stack from the first flight. My son tells me it was largely because of that day he went on to get a Masters in Geology.

I have followed the space program from Shepard's first sub-orbital on. The end of the Apollo Program and the end of the Shuttle program were horrible mistakes. The inspiration alone, they gave to our youth, was worth every penny spent on it.

Richard Jennings, my high school science teacher (he taught Biology, Chemisry and Physics at the small town high school I went to) was my memorable teacher. Guns is one of the people his students will remember in the years to come. We need more people like Guns teaching our youth. Thank you for sharing the adventure.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Update 10/18.2

Well, the substitute did awesome, and the shuttle did fine with out me there for two days.

There are thousands of tiles cut, and hundreds of "thermal blankets" ready to go.  

I went ahead and had them start on the blankets today.  We are using a hide paste for taxidermy that works well for sculpting over wire.  We use this same stuff to make rocks for taxidermy.

We soak the 4" burlap pieces in water, wring them out, then paste both sides with the paste.  

These guys got their orbital maneuvering system mounted up today so they can sculpt the top portion tomorrow.  

Orienting the window positions again.

Wing edges will be done by the weekend, we hope.  

Over the days I was gone, it was determined that the bells were not working.  The sub had some good suggestions, and with those suggestions, and some brainstorming today we decided to make a mold, then apply the drawing board over top, then repeat three times.

The mold.

Going together.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I have followed the space program from Shepard's first sub-orbital on. The end of the Apollo Program and the end of the Shuttle program were horrible mistakes. The inspiration alone, they gave to our youth, was worth every penny spent on it.
View Quote

FIFY.    I love the Space Shuttle.  I saw the last night (evening) launch.  I miss it.  It should never have been built.  It was a horrible boondoggle from the beginning, and an utter waste of NASA's limited resources.  It put our manned spaceflight program back by 20 years and killed 14 people.  4 decades later and we are returning to the Apollo Command Module for transporting humans to and from space.  We had it right in the beginning, and the shuttle was a grand leap too far.

Guns, you have a beautiful mockup of an iconic and beautiful spacecraft.  She brought far more capability to the table than we were ready for.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder how similar the frame of your orbiter looks to the Buran's?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wonder how similar the frame of your orbiter looks to the Buran's?

http://sciencecavern.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/RalpMirebs6.jpg

View Quote

Guessing they're both wood frame underneath.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]
looking good Guns!

like all 3 T shirt designs...  The first one is my fave
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Reworking the bell form today.   It needed more curve to it so we pulled all the lath off of it and are adding more rings, and in different positions.

New Haiku for today......it's even in English.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Update 10/19

We updated the temp display out in the commons.

Thanks again fellas for the great items to display.

The patches look a little rough right now, but I have faith that with some paint and some detail stripping we will have the proper look.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder, when you do the grand opening/dedication, are you contemplating filling the cargo bay with helium balloons attached to small weights?
So when the doors open...Surprise!

(Glitter optional)
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I forgot to post these yesterday when I saw them, but a couple of my shuttle techs had very good weekends hunting.  

You will recognize both.

And damn, talk about nice bulls.  Both score around 335.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Great bulls! They'll be eating good for a long time. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I wonder how similar the frame of your orbiter looks to the Buran's?

http://sciencecavern.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/RalpMirebs6.jpg

The original Buran actually orbited on remote control, no cosmonauts.  It also had jet engines, so it didn't glide to a landing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I forgot to post these yesterday when I saw them, but a couple of my shuttle techs had very good weekends hunting.  

You will recognize both.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5524/30196246161_8f1678beb5_h.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5702/29807185774_e83a44b161_h.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7570/29892551932_4a7d33831a_h.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5763/30140834530_8397eeb5f7_b.jpg

View Quote

The Shear mass of the Girls Bull rack is amazing. You going to teach her how to mount it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The Shear mass of the Girls Bull rack is amazing. You going to teach her how to mount it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will recognize both.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5524/30196246161_8f1678beb5_h.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5702/29807185774_e83a44b161_h.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7570/29892551932_4a7d33831a_h.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5763/30140834530_8397eeb5f7_b.jpg

I think she's doing a European style mount with it, so no.   Elk are big and a lot of work to do as a taxidermy project.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Update 10/21

Morning overview-
Yesterday went well.  Things are moving along and coming together.

The bells have a redesigned contour, and look much better.   We have started putting the first one together on the form.   We might have a couple more false starts, but I think they've got a handle on it now.

Breast Cancer Awareness  was the theme yesterday, thus, the amount of pink you will see, and the rather odd dress of some.

Haiku translated into Yiddish....

This is how we are going to dress up the edges of the burlap.   I think I might have them fix the pattern on the nose, as it's not symmetrical right down the center, which will just be too obvious when upside down.  

Committing to the window positions.
Woods says they can cut out the panes with the CNC machine.  

Rest of today we hopefully will get the rest of the left wing top skinned, and possibly the transition to the fuselage.   We should also get more of the detail stripping around the burlap done.    We have to flip the fuselage over to get the sides of the engine cowlings covered.  That probably won't happen today.   I'll update again later today if we have any good stuff to share.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very well could be.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much as I like #1, I'm betting some <censored> would claim that image was under copywrite the day after you got the shirts. Otherwise, it'd be #1 on my list. So 1, 3, 2 would be my choices.

Very well could be.  

There are some exemptions for schools and teachers, FYI.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Also, if there are still arguments about how the windshield panels align with each other, try referring to interior cockpit view(s).

ETA: Looks like it's been decided already.

ETA2:

Wish I'd have found this one weeks ago: Best detail yet of the angles and curves around the cockpit section.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Also, if there are still arguments about how the windshield panels align with each other, try referring to interior cockpit view(s).

http://bbcicecream.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tumblr_l7k5zk23441qzgcis.jpg

ETA: Looks like it's been decided already.

ETA2:

Wish I'd have found this one weeks ago: Best detail yet of the angles and curves around the cockpit section.

http://firsthandpictures.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/B110721Db-029-02a_PSwrk_GF_LR1-sRGB_1024res_wm.jpg
View Quote

Oh yeah.....post that now...  

Looks like we are pretty good.  Thats a perfect image.  It will still be very useful.  Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#46]
double tap.   whoops.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just want people to take note of this one more time.....cause I didn't catch it till yesterday when the kids were doing research for display.  

The one patch that E-95 donated is not just an EARLY flight, but the FIRST mission.  STS-1.    

The kids were very excited when they found this out.   The principal was stunned today when I pointed this out.   He's directed the woodshop to build a special display case for the whole set up.  

Again,

E-95

Thanks you!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#48]
My wife and I just got back from a trip to Washington D.C., where among other things we visited the absolutely incredible Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport. The Udvar-Hazy Center is the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's annex dedicated entirely to the preservation and display of all forms of military and civilian aircraft, including jets, props, rotors, prop/rotors, gliders, rockets, missiles, general space stuff, you name it.  The word "incredible" is an understatement. If you are planning on making a trip to D.C., this should be on your "must-do" list. Even people who aren't in to aircraft will be astonished, just ask my wife.

One of the several centerpieces of the collection happens to be STS Discovery, where you can walk up within mere feet of this magnificent machine. I apologize in advance for the lackluster photography. I am not a photographer by any means and all I had with me was my iPhone. I got a few good detail shots of the shuttle which hopefully can be of some use. Unfortunately I didn't think about this thread at the time, otherwise I would have taken a bunch more pics!

This one really shows how replacement of the ablative thermal tiles created a "pockmarked" look on the shuttle:

Full size originals are in the album located here: http://imgur.com/a/pfauu including a few repeats and far-off shots that may be useful.

And one last one of the restoration area, where a keen-eyed aircraft geek might spot something pretty incredible:

Also, if I may make a humble suggestion for your next project....

Cheers,
AR-Aggie
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My wife and I just got back from a trip to Washington D.C., where among other things we visited the absolutely incredible Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport. The Udvar-Hazy Center is the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's annex dedicated entirely to the preservation and display of all forms of military and civilian aircraft, including jets, props, rotors, prop/rotors, gliders, rockets, missiles, general space stuff, you name it.  The word "incredible" is an understatement. If you are planning on making a trip to D.C., this should be on your "must-do" list. Even people who aren't in to aircraft will be astonished, just ask my wife.

One of the several centerpieces of the collection happens to be STS Discovery, where you can walk up within mere feet of this magnificent machine. I apologize in advance for the lackluster photography. I am not a photographer by any means and all I had with me was my iPhone. I got a few good detail shots of the shuttle which hopefully can be of some use. Unfortunately I didn't think about this thread at the time, otherwise I would have taken a bunch more pics!

http://i.imgur.com/fXffR3hh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ckv0lTJh.jpg

This one really shows how replacement of the ablative thermal tiles created a "pockmarked" look on the shuttle:
http://i.imgur.com/BD2i6Yfh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sDfE1B0h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZzZMtCoh.jpg

Full size originals are in the album located here: http://imgur.com/a/pfauu including a few repeats and far-off shots that may be useful.

And one last one of the restoration area, where a keen-eyed aircraft geek might spot something pretty incredible:

http://i.imgur.com/QsvCpT8h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZKNumWDh.jpg

Cheers,
AR-Aggie
View Quote

Do I see a Horton there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/fXffR3hh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ckv0lTJh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BD2i6Yfh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sDfE1B0h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZzZMtCoh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QsvCpT8h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZKNumWDh.jpg

Cheers,
AR-Aggie
View Quote

Great photos!  

The one of the back of the shuttle will be very helpful.  

Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top