Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

No, it should become a tradition that the first spaceship of a line that is American made should be named Enterprise.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Fail. Not from today. Fail.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alright fellow space cadets. I’m in position for the day. Across the bay from the launch pad, ~15 miles. Weather is MUCH better today, some rain clouds but lots of blue sky. We’re going to catch rain over the afternoon but not the purple tornado death on Wednesday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/428894/0FB2C740-B4CE-4CD7-9296-24CFF770C0DB_jpe-1439053.JPG
View Quote

That restaurant has excellent food!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, it should become a tradition that the first spaceship of a line that is American made should be named Enterprise.
View Quote

I don't think that the shuttle Enterprise was ever space worthy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was only used as a test glider. Wasn't capable of spaceflight. Was supposed to be refitted to be capable eventually, but found to be too expensive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If they ever build the X-37C, they can name it Enterprise

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

But only if they actually go to space.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fail. Not from today. Fail.
View Quote

Yea I know now. On Youtube there's a bunch of the same video listed with today's date.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope but it flew.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m surprised at the number of you who weren’t watching the SpaceX feed.

Just go to spacex.com and click on a couple of links to go direct to their live YouTube feed (plays in the spacex.com window)

Your comments about the other network feeds are exactly why I’d don’t watch them, with their continual interruption.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The ergonomics of the Dragon capsule strike me as a bit awkward.

Is it the camera angle(s)?

Do they have any controls on the armrests?  
a HOTAS sort of thing?

For as much as I use an iPhone and iPad I still find “mission critical” stuff better served by hard switches.

I suspect it’s the same reason I prefer a manual over an automatic. If I have to I can MAKE it do what I want.

But if software won’t cooperate incentivizing it with a hammer or crowbar still won’t help.

==

TOUR OF DRAGON CAPSULE “ENDEAVOR”
Tour from Space: Inside the SpaceX Crew Dragon Spacecraft on Its Way to the Space Station
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Happy to see my millennial generation accomplish at the fraction of cost and reusability of what the boomer generation could only do with bloated overspending at the taxpayers detriment, agency bureaucracy, and the inefficiency of the government sector.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Happy to see my millennial generation accomplish at the fraction of cost and reusability of what the boomer generation could only do with bloated overspending at the taxpayers detriment, agency bureaucracy, and the inefficiency of the government sector.
View Quote

My truck stereo used to have the only volume control on the touch screen. It was a pain in the ass to raise or lower the volume while moving. I'd hate to have to actual manage anything important that way.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well done gentlemen and SpaceX, eh?!

View Quote
So, I'm no the only person who's inner narrator completed with '...McKenzie' every time an announcer said Bob and Doug.

m
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, I'm no the only person who's inner narrator completed with '...McKenzie' every time an announcer said Bob and Doug.

m
View All Quotes
Quoted:

m

I'm still shocked I haven't seen memes with those two in space suits.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because the Russians are so good at landing their boosters in a recoverable manner?

Nick
View Quote

During the cold war, the Soviets cheated with the French on judged events in the Olympics.  You're probably too young to understand.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

I'm wondering how long it's going to take for someone to put together a music video using scenes from today's launch and "Take Off"
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#21]
We have our answer.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ahem!  Musk and Shotwell are Gen Xers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahem!  Musk and Shotwell are Gen Xers.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I also think most this far along in their careers to build rockets are mostly gen x as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Elon Musk’s post-launch speech on Crew Demo-2 success, Starship and Moon Mission

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm wondering how long it's going to take for someone to put together a music video using scenes from today's launch and "Take Off"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Synch it up to where Gaddy Lee sings "Take Off" right along with the lift off. That would rock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah I thought the same thing. I also think most this far along in their careers to build rockets are mostly gen x as well.
View Quote

Who just built upon the efforts of.......wait for it.......boomers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who built upon the efforts of the greatest generation and the Nazis.  

View Quote

Mostly the Nazis lol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow. It really is a pretty small rocket. What a great show. I wish they hadn't "lost the feed" just before it landed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow. It really is a pretty small rocket. What a great show. I wish they hadn't "lost the feed" just before it landed.
View Quote

Seems to be the norm IMO.

RIGHT AT THE PENULTIMATE MOMENT the damn thing cuts out.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone posted video from a drone or helicopter.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is my view of the later landing of the first stage

Seems like the drone ship landings are often around 8:30 (min:sec).  I will check a Cargo Dragon press kit.

CRS-20 - 8:17.  MECO:  2:18

CRS-18 - 8:23.  MECO:  2:18

CRS-17 - 8:27.   MECO:  2:17

Crew Demo-1 -  9:52  Interesting.   MECO:  2:35

Here is my guess.   The lighter Crew Dragon versus Cargo Dragon means that the Crew Dragon first stage ends up higher than during a Cargo Dragon flight.   That translates into a longer fall and hence a later landing of the first stage.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Seems like the drone ship landings are often around 8:30 (min:sec).  I will check a Cargo Dragon press kit.

Here is my guess.   The lighter Crew Dragon versus Cargo Dragon means that the Crew Dragon first stage ends up higher than during a Cargo Dragon flight.   That translates into a longer fall and hence a later landing of the first stage.
View Quote

Have they said how far downrange this first stage landed? And how far do the usually go when they land on the drone ship?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since the first boomer was born in 1946, Mercury, Gemini, and all the development work on Apollo were all done before the first boomer graduated college.  They had nothing to do with the development of manned space.

I don't know any engineers who developed the Ford Trimotor, but I am quite certain none of them put down the achievement of the Wright Brothers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

During the cold war, the Soviets cheated with the French on judged events in the Olympics.  You're probably too young to understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because the Russians are so good at landing their boosters in a recoverable manner?

Nick

Lol-I'm 53, kid.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

SpaceX seems to be doing a great job of keeping costs down. If Boeing was doing this they would probably have a barge the size of a Nimitz class carrier which would never leave port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want SpaceX to buy a bigger barge.

Perhaps an automated factory ship of some sort that would begin prepping the section for another launch not long after it lands.
In a few years they won't launch a Falcon 9 or Falcon Heavy unless a customer pays them to.
EVERYTHING else will go up on a BFR. And the BFR boosters will return to dry land.

SpaceX seems to be doing a great job of keeping costs down. If Boeing was doing this they would probably have a barge the size of a Nimitz class carrier which would never leave port.

That's what happens when private enterprise is allowed to do what needs to be done.

Provided society holds together, I think we might be witnessing the beginnings of the true Space Age.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have they said how far downrange this first stage landed? And how far do the usually go when they land on the drone ship?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~600 miles
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Drove over to see the launch. Also caught AirForce 1 leaving the scene from Coconuts at dinner.

Today was a good day.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda hard to keep a satellite aimed when there's a FUCKING ROCKET engine blasting down upon it
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Can we see it go over at night?

Tracking app?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The ergonomics of the Dragon capsule strike me as a bit awkward.

Is it the camera angle(s)?

Do they have any controls on the armrests?  
a HOTAS sort of thing?

For as much as I use an iPhone and iPad I still find “mission critical” stuff better served by hard switches.

I suspect it’s the same reason I prefer a manual over an automatic. If I have to I can MAKE it do what I want.

But if software won’t cooperate incentivizing it with a hammer or crowbar still won’t help.

==

TOUR OF DRAGON CAPSULE “ENDEAVOR”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llbIzbOStt4
View Quote

The hard switches are under the flat screens. There’s a t-handle joystick between panels. The critical things necessary have real switches. It is beautifully simple, but 100% functional
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My understanding is that - unless something really unexpected happens - the crew on a mission like this are essentially just fragile cargo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My truck stereo used to have the only volume control on the touch screen. It was a pain in the ass to raise or lower the volume while moving. I'd hate to have to actual manage anything important that way.

My understanding is that - unless something really unexpected happens - the crew on a mission like this are essentially just fragile cargo.

That's supposedly how the scientists and engineers viewed the Mercury astronauts.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's supposedly how the scientists and engineers viewed the Mercury astronauts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If "The Right Stuff" is any indicator, indeed.

Pilots have a way of developing skepticism of what engineers tell them not to worry about, usually out of hard earned experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
wake-up call was Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan"
Planet Caravan - Black Sabbath
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Since these guys took off I drank a bunch of beer, made a turkey dinner, watched 2 movies, slept all night, and did some arfcomming with coffee.

I couldn't imagine being stuck in that damn capsule the whole time lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#49]
view of Dragon Endeavor from the ISS:

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top