Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You did not take that picture (in Obama's voice).

If you took that, SpaceX would surely like it.  It appears that if you knew where to look you would have seen the re-entry burn.  Did you see it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow - is that a multi-exposure of the launch in the background, and the landing in the foreground?

Long exposure.  Launch is the long burn.  Reentry burn is the short upper one.  Landing burn is the short one contacting the ground.

You did not take that picture (in Obama's voice).

If you took that, SpaceX would surely like it.  It appears that if you knew where to look you would have seen the re-entry burn.  Did you see it?
No... I'm in Oregon.  I did not take the picture.

Nor did I take this one.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes, it is no moon landing.  That was a great achievement, but I think that the possibilities that this unlocks are going to be more revolutionary than the moon landings.  45 years on and what have the moon landings really done to change how we approach space (and I am literally talking about the moon landings, not the Apollo program).

For the last 58 years we have generally been putting stuff into space in the same way with the vast, vast majority of the spacecraft being lost/destroyed/expended during the mission.  Shuttle was too damn expensive to be feasible.  This will change that.  

View Quote
We'll see.

Space flight has humbled every organization that has ever attempted it...often tragically.   Musk has a vision, he also has an ego...let's hope he has some damn good engineers that can cash that check.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

the possibilities that this unlocks are going to be more revolutionary than the moon landings

View Quote

Nothing will be more revolutionary than the moon landings until we put a man on Mars.  The moon landings remain the pinnacle of human achievement.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
History was made with this one.  It makes me proud to be an American. Go SpaceX!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nothing will be more revolutionary than the moon landings until we put a man on Mars.  The moon landings remain the pinnacle of human achievement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the possibilities that this unlocks are going to be more revolutionary than the moon landings

So...what did the moon landings change about how we conduct space travel?

Describe the differences between a Gemini mission and a trip to the ISS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link to twitter video from SpaceX personnel at the landing site.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/679145544673923072

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWzNZC_UkAEDgBv.jpg:large

View Quote

What is it, 10' from the X?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Looks like a bulls eye landing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

seems about right

another long exposure image

I think the ground level right one is the launch and left is landing.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  That space crane Rube Goldberg mission to Mars was pretty damn impressive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't use pure O2 atmosphere anymore.

The difference between a Gemini mission and a space X mission is that the first stage lands back on the pad?  Ok.  Yea! I guess?

Where Saturn v first stages a single use item? I know the Shuttle SRB and main fuel tanks where reused.  As was the rest of the vehicle...and that fucker was designed in the 70s...I guess I'm failing to grasp the revolutionary aspects of this.  It's fuckin neat as shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

seems about right

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWzKCB3UAAAy2NC.jpg:large

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

seems about right

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWzKCB3UAAAy2NC.jpg:large

That makes sense.  The more inland location of the one on the left may give it away as the landing site but the launch used nine engines versus less (three?) for landing.  The one on the right is brighter which is consistent with the use of more engines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 meters is about the best GPS acuracy I hae seen outside of DGPS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The difference between a Gemini mission and a space X mission is that the first stage lands back on the pad?  Ok.  Yea! I guess?

Where Saturn v first stages a single use item? I know the Shuttle SRB and main fuel tanks where reused.  As was the rest of the vehicle...and that fucker was designed in the 70s...I guess I'm failing to grasp the revolutionary aspects of this.  It's fuckin neat as shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shuttles' main tanks were not reusable.   They broke up/burned up before they landed in the Indian Ocean.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

We're talking about an order of magnitude of cost savings.

All of the Saturn V, minus the capsule, was single use.  Shuttle main fuel tanks were single use.  SRBs were "multiuse".

Shuttle was over a billion dollars per flight.  Falcon 9 is $60 million and will only go lower once they are reusable (granted, shuttle had about double capacity to LEO).  Falcon Heavy will double the shuttle capacity for $90 million.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saturn V first stage was most likely splashed into the ocean.   At least one of the engines was found and is being refurbed for display.

Shuttle main tanks also were discarded into the ocean.   I think they were used about eight minutes versus a little over two minutes for the SRBs.  I think that some folks in England have seen re-entry of the main tank or venting after separation from the Shuttle.   It would take a little research to verify that aspect.

This is new to have the first stage returned to be reused.   I am very impressed that they got the first stage from a suborbital trajectory, stopped the forward motion, got it on a ballistic trajectory in the opposite direction and safely landed it mere feet from the center of the landing zone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The shuttles' main tanks were not reusable.   They broke up/burned up before they landed in the Indian Ocean.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I guess that makes sense, the main tank stayed with the shuttle for a lot longer before separating. The SRBs got recovered and refueled.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#18]
That is some cool shit!

I am being recruited by SpaceX for a job. Guess I should take it a little more seriously.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That is some cool shit!

I am being recruited by SpaceX for a job. Guess I should take it a little more seriously.
View Quote

What do you do?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is some cool shit!

What do you do?

Protection of the avionics from electromagnetic effects and lightning,
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All of the Saturn V, minus the capsule, was single use.  Shuttle main fuel tanks were single use.  SRBs were "multiuse".

Shuttle was over a billion dollars per flight.  Falcon 9 is $60 million and will only go lower once they are reusable (granted, shuttle had about double capacity to LEO).  Falcon Heavy will double the shuttle capacity for $90 million.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're forgetting that the shuttle also carried 7 fucking people
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#23]
High res video of landing from helicopter.

https://youtu.be/ZCBE8ocOkAQ

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The shuttle was also primarily a military asset that flew many many classified missions. And was essentially triple A for orbital espionage assets.  It wasn't all that great at its cover mission of being an affordable launch and science platform.

I'll bet money that hubble wasn't the first or last really capable camera that the shuttle put in orbit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet.  http://www.spacex.com/dragon
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So will the Crew Dragon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is amazing!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't be fooled by the tax expenditures going into this - it's defense research, through and through.

High visibility testing going on in other elements of our business is purely driven by what is seen by .gov as the next proxy war - a war in space, against communications.  The ability to neutralize and protect comms satellites is being driven very high on the priority scale. Really neat stuff. Lots of dev money coming to the private sector for what is truly Reagans Star Wars come to fruition.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So can SpaceX's Dragon 2 crew vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is amazing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is amazing!

Yes it is.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:15:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And it will be able to abort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So will the Crew Dragon.

And it will be able to abort.

Even from the pad.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes it is.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is amazing!

Yes it is.  

Daylight test.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Shuttle was a failure at re-usability.
Every aspect was more expensive to make it ready to use again than throwing away an equivalent rocket for each flight.  Solids?  Dowsed with ocean salt water.  Cheaper to just use new ones.  External tank? Not reused.  Orbiter?  Has to be taken apart after each flight and everything re-tested and re-certified for flight.
You could build a normal rocket that you throw away with the same amount of payload to orbit of the shuttle for much cheaper per launch.
SpaceX is in the process of doing that... oh and they'll make it re-usable...  And hopefully soon it will be rapidly re-usable.  This will drastically reduce the cost of getting to orbit... which opens up the ability for business to make money in space... which allows our species to get off this rock.
But, what the shuttle did do is test the necessary technology and gather data on how such systems work.  This information in part is what allows SpaceX to do what they do.  That is what Government is good for.  The research for research's sake efforts.  And business is good at taking that research and making something practical out of it.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We spend so much money on stupid, entitlement inspired bullshit. This where this kind of money should be going in the first place, truly advancing the human race with the US leading the way.

Also this bit about Elon warmed my heart

'Musk is a self-described American exceptionalist and nationalist, describing himself as "nauseatingly pro-American". According to Musk, the United States is "[inarguably] the greatest country that has ever existed on Earth"
View Quote

i like this, very much.

seems he & I have that in common.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]
AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 fucking people?  The would suck to be the odd man out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Remember, Mars is next. Because no one wants to go back to jacuu. haha fucking nerd! I love it!

I might have to shoot them my resume, I already know some folks that took jobs with them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:43:22 AM EDT
[#39]
That was pretty cool.  
Glad to see them succeed.

My only wish is that America and NASA would have done it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#40]
you know.  every corny sci fi movie i saw as a kid 60s-70s had the rocket ship landing that way.
glad to see it finally happening.  
see 53 seconds into this video for a landing on Planet X
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Sadly, I am at work and missed it.

Hopefully this makes space travel much cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Woke up this morning still excited about this
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember, Mars is next. Because no one wants to go back to jacuu. haha fucking nerd! I love it!

I might have to shoot them my resume, I already know some folks that took jobs with them.
View Quote

Nevermind, found their salary ranges.  

"But you get to work on something cool," only goes so far.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the end of your career, when you're retired and looking back, it isn't the salary that you'll remember.

ETA:  You could tell your grandkids that you worked on the first manned mission to Mars.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm beyond astonished. I watched the first stage of a fucking space rocket LAND ITSELF ON A CONCRETE PAD for reuse. Live.

Holy. Shit.

'Murica.
View Quote

One question about this: did the rocket actually land itself? In other words, was there a "pilot" making course corrections or was the whole thing automated from launch to landing, like hitting a giant "EASY" button and letting the computer take it from there?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Shuttle was a failure at re-usability.

Every aspect was more expensive to make it ready to use again than throwing away an equivalent rocket for each flight.  Solids?  Dowsed with ocean salt water.  Cheaper to just use new ones.  External tank? Not reused.  Orbiter?  Has to be taken apart after each flight and everything re-tested and re-certified for flight.

You could build a normal rocket that you throw away with the same amount of payload to orbit of the shuttle for much cheaper per launch.

SpaceX is in the process of doing that... oh and they'll make it re-usable...  And hopefully soon it will be rapidly re-usable.  This will drastically reduce the cost of getting to orbit... which opens up the ability for business to make money in space... which allows our species to get off this rock.

But, what the shuttle did do is test the necessary technology and gather data on how such systems work.  This information in part is what allows SpaceX to do what they do.  That is what Government is good for.  The research for research's sake efforts.  And business is good at taking that research and making something practical out of it.  

View Quote

The shuttle did everything backwards, as it turned out. I can remember when people still thought the shuttle was going to reduce costs enough to bring the system within reach.

Falcon architecture actually does that, I wish folks were more focused on NEOs, Ceres and the belt than Mars though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I see Matt Damon, Jason Cerbone from The Sopranos and Sullivan Stapleton (Damien Scott from Strike Back) with a different hairstyle. That right?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Daylight test.
https://youtu.be/2t15vP1PyoA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is amazing!

Yes it is.  

Daylight test.
https://youtu.be/2t15vP1PyoA

That is so freaking cool.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

One question about this: did the rocket actually land itself? In other words, was there a "pilot" making course corrections or was the whole thing automated from launch to landing, like hitting a giant "EASY" button and letting the computer take it from there?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm beyond astonished. I watched the first stage of a fucking space rocket LAND ITSELF ON A CONCRETE PAD for reuse. Live.

Holy. Shit.

'Murica.

automated.  But they can send commands to abort... basically just telling the computer where to take it and whether or not to explode.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#50]
More photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacexphotos

Here's a few from the link:

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top