Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/20/2022 1:34:50 PM EDT
Stanford releases guide against ‘harmful language’ — including the word ‘American’

Stanford University released a guide this week on “harmful” language that it wants to remove from its online properties — noting that the term “American” is a no-go.

The language guide, which was published Monday, aims to “eliminate many forms of harmful language, including racist, violent, and biased … language in Stanford websites and code.”

Launched in May, the project, known as the Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative (EHLI), lists the prohibited terms under 10 categories including racism, homophobia and ableism.

Under a section titled “Imprecise Language,” the guide advises readers to replace the term “American” with “U.S. citizen.”

“[‘American’] often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas,” the packet reasons, noting that the region actually includes 42 countries between North and South America.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/20/stanford-releases-guide-against-harmful-language-including-term-american/
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck Stanford...

Divest federal funding of universities NOW!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What about Native Americans?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The US is the most important country in the Americas. I'll therefore keep using American.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
F that guy and he needs to leave the US where every foreign country calls us Americans.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck off
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Good.
We will be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck Stanford...
View Quote

FPNI, isn't Stanford home to that Chinese skier girl who turned her back on AMERICA to ski for China in the latest Winter Games?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You can't say "American" because it infers you are from the best part of the Americas, so instead use the term "US Citizen" and directly tell them you are from the best part of the Americas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The beauty is that US Citizen is going to be deemed oppressive and they’ll have to come up with a less threatening term.

All the non-citizens will feel oppressed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I was annoyed to discover that, on MST3K, they've changed Gypsy's name because it might offend people. Now, she's known as GPC.
What really bugs me about it is the fact that, while they've changed her name, they changed it to something that means the same thing.
So, in reality, they've haven't really changed it.
The only thing worse than being woke, is to not even have the strength of your woke convictions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm proud to be an American.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Their wrong-think will do much more harm than any “harmful language”.

Give it a year, Webster will be changing the definition to follow suit
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The beauty is that US Citizen is going to be deemed oppressive and they’ll have to come up with a less threatening term.

All the non-citizens will feel oppressed.
View Quote

That’s exactly where this is going. Make the conditions for another round of bullshit lies from them
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
American Nationalist and proud.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
That last sentence is bullshit. Most immigrants I talk to don't say "the United States", the all call it America, no matter where they're from. Sample size of over 100.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck Stanford...

Divest federal funding of universities NOW!
View Quote

Quoted:
The US is the most important country in the Americas. I'll therefore keep using American.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#20]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
American = US
North American = US + other countries
South American = other countries
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#22]
US Citizen obviously oppresses the illegal immigrants
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
How bout we replace the word "moron" with Stanford graduate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#24]
What's even sadder is the number of people that will inevitably imply Mexico is in South America
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
What’s even sadder is how many people will agree with Stanford.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The US is the most important country in the Americas world. I'll therefore keep using American.
View Quote

FIFY!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#27]
It's sad to see how all the prestigious schools have declined.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
“[‘American’] often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas,”
View Quote

And?

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What about Native Americans?
View Quote

Easy. *checks spreadsheet*

Native US citizens
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Stanford releases guide against ‘harmful language’ — including the word ‘American’

Stanford University released a guide this week on “harmful” language that it wants to remove from its online properties — noting that the term “American” is a no-go.

The language guide, which was published Monday, aims to “eliminate many forms of harmful language, including racist, violent, and biased … language in Stanford websites and code.”

Launched in May, the project, known as the Elimination of Harmful Language Initiative (EHLI), lists the prohibited terms under 10 categories including racism, homophobia and ableism.

Under a section titled “Imprecise Language,” the guide advises readers to replace the term “American” with “U.S. citizen.”

“[‘American’] often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas,” the packet reasons, noting that the region actually includes 42 countries between North and South America.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/20/stanford-releases-guide-against-harmful-language-including-term-american/
View Quote

Fucking idiots.

United States of America = “American”
United States of Mexico = “Mexican”

U.S. is just as conflating as “American” is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#31]
MAGA
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“[‘American’] often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas,”

And?

It is clearly the most important country in the Americas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I as and American am in luck as I have nothing in mutual with Stanford and the stupid they turn out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FIFY!
View Quote
Clarkson.jpg?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#35]
No problem, I'll use ''illegal alien'' for the one's that aren't US Citizens.

Deal?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm an American
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

FIFY!
View Quote

Word. I was debating saying that but wanted to stick to their point about the Americas. But I agree wholeheartedly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Literally everyone else in the entire goddamn world calls us Americans.  We could call ourselves Great Crested Tit Tyrants and it wouldn't make a goddamn bit of difference.  

Also, the very fact that you have to write this tells me that the United States IS, in fact, the most important country in the Americas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Stanford and all the other WOKE  university's
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Language control is thought control.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Hulk Hogan's Theme Song - Real American
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Guilty conscience.

Reminds them that California was the site of one of the most brutal campaigns of genocide for Native Americans.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#44]
For the retards in the back.

Canadans are from Canadia.

Mexicans are from Mexico.

Argentinians are from Argentina.

Thus it follows logically that Americans are from The United States of America.

Dumb fucks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m not going to be lectured by a Junior University.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

[‘American’] often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas,” the packet reasons, noting that the region actually includes 42 countries between North and South America.

View Quote

Well, we are,  so that might be part of the misunderstanding. I won't hold it against Stanford,  though. They're a major elite academic institution which means sometimes you have to explain things slowly and with simple words.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#47]
If other countries get butthurt about it maybe they should try sucking less.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is smooth-brain latin america inferiority complex. The same people that claim we should be "United Statesians" instead of "Americans" are those that claim North and South America are one continent and we only want to be separate because we're white or something.

We can't be "United Statesians" because Mexico also has "United States" in their official name. That will be racist. What other country uses America in their name?

We'll be Americans, thanks. Fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I prefer to be called an "Imperialist Pig"
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was annoyed to discover that, on MST3K, they've changed Gypsy's name because it might offend people. Now, she's known as GPC.
View Quote

Does that mean that Fleetwood Mac is going to have to rename their song "Gypsy," or worse, memory-hole it? And where does that leave the Gypsy Kings? Do they need to change their names like the Ditzy Twits?

Don't even get me started on GPC, and the racism behind branding branding discount cigarettes as Ghetto Pimp Classics with the racist dog-whistlev implication that black people don't smoke major-brand cigarettes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top