Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Don McLean's top hit American Woman is offensive and undefinable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don McLean's top hit American Woman is offensive and undefinable.
View Quote

American Woman is The Guess Who.  Don McLean was American Pie.

Don McLean - American Pie (Lyric Video)
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

American Woman is The Guess Who.  Don McLean was American Pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_qd2yxIsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpiBpDy7MQ
View Quote

OMG yes, of course.

I am Close to the Edge (Yes).
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]

American Pie.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Cancel Stanford.  F*ck the redwood trees.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck that. I am American. Nowhere else I’d rather be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Send in emails to Stanford University reminding them of the following

(1)  Leland Stanford was a Republican - therefore must be bad
(2)  Involved in mining - environmental destruction, employment of slave labour, racist
(3)  Involved in building major railroads - environment destruction, employment of slave labour, cultural genocide, racist
(4)  Continued the eradication of American Indians in California - genocide, racist
(5)  Considered the chinese labour force, which in part his wealth was built on, an "inferior people" and "degraded and distinct" - human trafficker, racist
(6)  Continued to prosecute the Bald Hills War - warmonger, genocide, racist

Request the University be renamed and the staff and students take part in de-stanfordisation classes and camps.  Request reparations for the damage his businesses caused.      

Thats how its done
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Neil Diamond - Coming to America
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Way, way back in Middle School I recall one of the teachers telling the class that if someone asks what Country you are from, that saying America could be considered as being rude. And that saying “The United States” is the proper answer. To this day I don’t know why.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
There are plenty of people in this country that are US citizens, but not Americans. They are here for all that we offer, but look down on Americans.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Send in emails to Stanford University reminding them of the following

(1)  Leland Stanford was a Republican - therefore must be bad
(2)  Involved in mining - environmental destruction, employment of slave labour, racist
(3)  Involved in building major railroads - environment destruction, employment of slave labour, cultural genocide, racist
(4)  Continued the eradication of American Indians in California - genocide, racist
(5)  Considered the chinese labour force, which in part his wealth was built on, an "inferior people" and "degraded and distinct" - human trafficker, racist
(6)  Continued to prosecute the Bald Hills War - warmonger, genocide, racist

Request the University be renamed and the staff and students take part in de-stanfordisation classes and camps.  Request reparations for the damage his businesses caused.      

Thats how its done
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
US Citizen obviously oppresses the illegal immigrants
View Quote

Migrants…
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Stanford University is offensive. It is a sheltered institution in a make believe world that stopped teaching or learning years ago and simply wallows in the shit that is excreted when entitlement swallows too much smug. Both staff and students ONLY exist because other people WORK to support their dystopian view of the real World. Ah, the undeserved sense of self-superiority that comes from exclusively breathing your own farts! Can’t you just smell it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Ironic, coming from a college named after Leland Stanford, a lilly-white American industrialist who exploited the masses to get filthy rich.  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.).  I'll take them seriously when they change their name.  But they won't, because a degree from Stanford is often a license to print money and they ain't giving up that gravy train.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#16]
To be fair, America is a continent. But I don't lose much sleep over trivial things like this. After all, nobody is making you use the term correctly—like take a shit or do the dishes?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotta rename the school

"To my mind it is clear, that the settlement among us of an inferior race is to be discouraged by every legitimate means." L. Stanford

made his riches on Chinese indentured workers building railroads and fought wars of eradication against tribes in California.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The US is the most important country in the Americas. I'll therefore keep using American.
View Quote

100 fucking percent this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What about Native Americans?
View Quote

Yes.
I was born here.
Doesn't that, by definition, make me a native American?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Way, way back in Middle School I recall one of the teachers telling the class that if someone asks what Country you are from, that saying America could be considered as being rude. And that saying “The United States” is the proper answer. To this day I don’t know why.
View Quote

You're teacher must not have gone anywhere outside the U.S.  When I was stationed in Europe, they all called us Americans, not U.S. citizens or U.S.'ers or any other shit, except maybe "Fukcing American" with a few other words maybe in English, maybe not.  They usually knew all the swear words.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
if they were smart they would keep saying americans and then point out that hondurans, being from the americas are in fact americans

but whatever
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes these woke people suck at being woke.  US Citizen presumably excludes non-citizens who identify as Americans. Won’t somebody think about the Dreamers?

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Technically, it's the "United Mexican States"(Estados Unidos Mexicanos), but I get your point.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51xrIiyucpL._AC_SY580_.jpg

View Quote

Yes, but the USA is "Estados Unidos de América" in Spanish as well, so..... they are united statesians too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this from the same group that claims people can call themselves whatever they want ("American Indians" vs. "Native Americans" vs. "Indigenous People")?  If so, I choose to be called "American".  

Do some of these extremists in academia even realize they are following the Communist Manifesto (changing history and the meaning of words)?  I'm sure the people at the top know what they're doing, but there are a ton of "useful idiots" (some of whom are actually intelligent in many ways) that just follow along.  

If we're going to go the route of not being "Americans" then I choose something that separates me from the clusterfuck that is California - I'm a Hoosier.  On second thought, maybe I'll move to Oklahoma so I can be a Sooner, which sounds less stupid than Hoosier.  Either way, at least I won't be a Californian.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#26]
FSU

Not an SEC reference either.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#27]
American implies,  if you can read a map,  everything from the north pole to the tip of Argentina ,

why is that bad?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
so, um, I guess that means African American is racist?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
American implies,  if you can read a map,  everything from the north pole to the tip of Argentina ,

why is that bad?
View Quote

Because the first recognized country in the Americas was the United States of America and its people have been called Americans ever since. Being first gives you naming rights.

Members of subsequent independence movements often called themselves "Americanos," but ultimately found different names for their new country. America, you see, was taken.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#30]
“Writer H. L. Mencken collected a number of proposals from between 1789 and 1939, finding terms including Columbian, Columbard, Fredonian, Frede, Unisian, United Statesian, Colonican, Appalacian, Usian, Washingtonian, Usonian, Uessian, U-S-ian, Uesican, and United Stater.[22] Names for broader categories include terms such as Western Hemispherian, New Worlder, and North Atlantican.[23][24][25]

Nevertheless, no alternative to "American" is common in English.[18]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonyms_for_the_United_States
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#31]
This is where the road leads you when you are in constant search of something to be offended by.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, when you have open borders, you technically don't even have a country so I'm not sure what the hell to call anyone.

I'll keep calling myself an American because that's what I am, and I'm really proud of it.

They'll just keep chipping away, and it seems we'll all just keep putting our heads down and not making waves.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's even sadder is the number of people that will inevitably imply Mexico is in South America
View Quote

Um.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m surprised they didn’t call it AmericanX
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Just in case people missed it this is a student group within one department at Stanford and not the school itself.

Student groups do stupid shit all the time

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/introducing-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-website

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#36]
stanford can lick my American ballbag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#37]
While I like using the term American - this could work out in our favor.  It allows for easier distinguishing between others and US citizens.  Abet, citizenship privileges have been eroding at an increasing pace.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Um.
View Quote

Mexico is in South America. Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are in North America.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The US is the most important country in the Americas. I'll therefore keep using American.
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top