User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

<snip>
seems that the Empire sucks at security. I mean one old Jedi, a young farm boy that has never been off his home planet, a smuggler that has just blasted his way out of Mos Eisley and ran an Imperial blockade, and a 7 foot tall wall of hair infiltrate the Death Star and rescue their most important prisoner. Yeah they got great security.

Then the same damn crew infiltrates an Imperial base. They get arrested but the incompetent security guys let them escape thereby causing the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of their Emperor.

If that crew can do it then imagine what a trained covert team could do.

The whole point was to allow them to escape with the princess, run to the rebel base on Yavin IV and KB it. But as we all know things did not go according to plan.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

seems that the Empire sucks at security. I mean one old Jedi, a young farm boy that has never been off his home planet, a smuggler that has just blasted his way out of Mos Eisley and ran an Imperial blockade, and a 7 foot tall wall of hair infiltrate the Death Star and rescue their most important prisoner. Yeah they got great security.
Then the same damn crew infiltrates an Imperial base. They get arrested but the incompetent security guys let them escape thereby causing the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of their Emperor.

The whole point was to allow them to escape with the princess, run to the rebel base on Yavin IV and KB it. But as we all know things did not go according to plan.

I knew that would come up.
They didn't know that Han, Luke, Chewie, and Obi-Wan were hiding in the secret compartments. I am assuming that the tracking device was put on the Falcon AFTER they realized that they had been infiltrated.

Also how does the Rebellion steal an Imperial shuttle and nobody realizes it. I mean when the shuttle transmitted it's ID to the star destroyer it should have come up as stolen. It apparently had been in rebel hands for some time since it had an older authentication code.

Yes their security sucks.

How about having a tractor control power junction with no security lockouts whatsoever?
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They didn't know that Han, Luke, Chewie, and Obi-Wan were hiding in the secret compartments. I am assuming that the tracking device was put on the Falcon AFTER they realized that they had been infiltrated.

Also how does the Rebellion steal an Imperial shuttle and nobody realizes it. I mean when the shuttle transmitted it's ID to the star destroyer it should have come up as stolen. It apparently had been in rebel hands for some time since it had an older authentication code.

How about having a tractor control power junction with no security lockouts whatsoever?

As I recall the shuttle didn't transmit its ID it trasmitted a code.  As in they had an old, but still acceptable word of the day.

And I'm sure somebody realized that the shuttle was missing, but they had to have hundreds of thousands of the things.  It would be similar to an HUMVEE being missing.  Sure somebody would know that it's gone but the whole military wouldn't be be on the lookout.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I recall the shuttle didn't transmit its ID it trasmitted a code.  As in they had an old, but still acceptable word of the day.

And I'm sure somebody realized that the shuttle was missing, but they had to have hundreds of thousands of the things.  It would be similar to an HUMVEE being missing.  Sure somebody would know that it's gone but the whole military wouldn't be be on the lookout.

Good analogy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Emperor wanted them at Endor to crush the Rebellion once an for all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Even if they could get their security in order they don't have the sensors to stop Federation infiltration, much less someone extra sneaky like the Dominion or Romulans.  A presumably elite Star Destroyer could not detect the Falcon when it was attached to the ass end, or in the asteroid field.  Federation ships can detect minute radiation several star systems away at high warp (ST Nemisis, positronic emissions).  No way they can stop infiltrators with space-WMDs.    

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Even if they could get their security in order they don't have the sensors to stop Federation infiltration, much less someone extra sneaky like the Dominion or Romulans.  A presumably elite Star Destroyer could not detect the Falcon when it was attached to the ass end, or in the asteroid field.  Federation ships can detect minute radiation several star systems away at high warp (ST Nemisis, positronic emissions).  No way they can stop infiltrators with space-WMDs.    

You are correct.  I did kind of discounted the incredible Federation sensors that are able to detect something that is happening at that moment light years away.  (INCREDIBLE, adjective: too extraordinary and improbable to be believed)

And to be frank why would you have a bunch of sensors monitoring the skin of the ship?  What's the purpose that would cause the starship customer to levy the ability to scan the surface of your own vessel as a requirement to the manufacturer?  Our Aegis cruisers are able to see and shoot objects from the surface of the water up into space but wouldn't be able to see a guy hanging from the fantail.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.  I did kind of discounted the incredible Federation sensors that are able to detect something that is happening at that moment light years away.  (INCREDIBLE, adjective: too extraordinary and improbable to be believed)

And to be frank why would you have a bunch of sensors monitoring the skin of the ship?  What's the purpose that would cause the starship customer to levy the ability to scan the surface of your own vessel as a requirement to the manufacturer?  Our Aegis cruisers are able to see and shoot objects from the surface of the water up into space but wouldn't be able to see a guy hanging from the fantail.

I'd put Star Treks Sensors in the plot device category. Giving your star ships god like omnipotent vision has it's advantages.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top