Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wasn't the phrase from A New Hope something like 'at great sacrifice'?  

I think if the story had ended any other way it would have detracted from it.  They all knew what they were doing when they got on the ship.  They all knew going home was not likely, and they used that for motivation.  

Honestly I don't know of another war story similar, where a suicide mission is the only hope.
View Quote
Agreed.  The fact that everyone died, and largely knew from the outset that they were going to die, is what makes it a really good movie and what makes it a good standalone story about insurgent warfare, basically.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I thought Rogue One was ass.  Boring plot, boring no-talent actors.  Totally sucked.

Surprise, another toothy British girl is the tough as nails totally bad-ass girl power hero.  Multiculturalism, feminism, yay!  Defeat those evil racist white men.

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Happy-Gilmore-Thumbs-Down.gif
View Quote
You have not seen it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

All of this. The multicultural band of heroes was fucking stupid. Buddhist monk force worshiping fruit loops and ERMERGERD POWERFERL WERMEN!!!
View Quote
What's wrong with Jyn Erso? She wasn't throwing people around that out massed her. The rebellion is made up of many different worlds, so why wouldn't it be multicultural?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll watch it just for Scarif. It was like they took the best battles of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games and turned it into a movie, but with ground forces.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's wrong with Jyn Erso? She wasn't throwing people around that out massed her. The rebellion is made up of many different worlds, so why wouldn't it be multicultural?
View Quote
I'm not even kidding, I had to google the name because I didn't remember who that was.  I couldn't tell you what the swarthy looking main dude's name was if you put a gun to my head, either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this. The multicultural band of heroes was fucking stupid. Buddhist monk force worshiping fruit loops and ERMERGERD POWERFERL WERMEN!!!
Maybe because the space operas he's used to seeing had white men as heroes and bad guys in rubber masks?

It's too bad he can't put his politics aside long enough to enjoy anything artistic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They didn't have the women doing anything that they physically wouldn't have been able to do.  And it wasn't multicultural, it was multi-species, which is what happens in an intergalactic narrative.  Some of you guys need to get over your personal war and relax.
View Quote
Yep.

I got less of a 'multi-cultural' vibe and a lot more of a 'motley group of pissed of people from around the galaxy' vibe.  They were a group of people united by ideology, not much else.

And the final group of them were somewhat ashamed of how they had conducted themselves, in the name of something honorable they did despicable things.  They wanted redemption for their souls as much as to put a finger in the eye of the Empire.

Why is this concept so hard to catch?  I'm surprised at so many people missing the characters and the development of the story.  It's far and away deeper than the other SW stories, but I guess if you have to stretch beyond 'Ow my balls' it's just lame, eh?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
It was decent and all but it's really not the same without the Force.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have not seen it.
View Quote
Then why are my criticisms so similar to those of other people?  Lucky guess?  Are we all lying about having seen it?

People often have different taste in movies.  I did see it.  I saw it twice.  I happen to think that it is a boring movie, ill conceived and poorly executed.

I'm sorry that you and some others here get offended when people disagree with you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought Rogue One was ass.  Boring plot, boring no-talent actors.  Totally sucked.

Surprise, another toothy British girl is the tough as nails totally bad-ass girl power hero.  Multiculturalism, feminism, yay!  Defeat those evil racist white men.

View Quote
Exactly what I thought.

Plus Star Wars is for children
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly what I thought.

Plus Star Wars is for children
View Quote
Says the guy with a picture of an old man playing make believe in his avatar....
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep.

I got less of a 'multi-cultural' vibe and a lot more of a 'motley group of pissed of people from around the galaxy' vibe.  They were a group of people united by ideology, not much else.

And the final group of them were somewhat ashamed of how they had conducted themselves, in the name of something honorable they did despicable things.  They wanted redemption for their souls as much as to put a finger in the eye of the Empire.

Why is this concept so hard to catch?  I'm surprised at so many people missing the characters and the development of the story.  It's far and away deeper than the other SW stories, but I guess if you have to stretch beyond 'Ow my balls' it's just lame, eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't have the women doing anything that they physically wouldn't have been able to do.  And it wasn't multicultural, it was multi-species, which is what happens in an intergalactic narrative.  Some of you guys need to get over your personal war and relax.
Yep.

Agreed. Excellent movie, better than the rest. Also Earth is multi cultural (whites are a minority) so I'd expect to see a diverse group of people in space. It isn't centered in bum-fuck Kentucky. If it was, I'm sure the casting choices would have stood out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then why are my criticisms so similar to those of other people?  Lucky guess?  Are we all lying about having seen it?

People often have different taste in movies.  I did see it.  I saw it twice.  I happen to think that it is a boring movie, ill conceived and poorly executed.

I'm sorry that you and some others here get offended when people disagree with you.
View Quote
I'm not offended, I just don't like when people review something they have no or little knowledge of.  You could have got what little information you have from reviews or discussions but if you believe Jyn was some "hero, bad ass" you did not see the entire movie.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was decent and all but it's really not the same without the Force.
View Quote
That was what I liked about it.  I'm so sick of the fucking Force and the Jedi/Sith bromance.  

And the fact that they killed the heroes at the end was metal as fuck.   Good space fleet scenes, good ground combat scenes.  

The only acting that I would call out as bad was Forest Whittaker's character.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I really liked it, better that TFA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m not happy with the direction the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been going, but Rogue One gave me no confidence Disney won’t similarly fuck up Star Wars.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
GREAT film.

GREAT.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked it but what do you mean "standalone film"?

That movie never gets made without the success of "A new hope"

The plot has zero interest if you don't incorporate it as a subplot to "A new hope"
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m not happy with the direction the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been going, but Rogue One gave me no confidence Disney won’t similarly fuck up Star Wars.
View Quote
Wow, you're really trying to burn this place down!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought the whole Saw Guerrerra sequence was a complete swing and miss.  A surface dwelling octopus that reads minds?  Other than that, the movie was most excellent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Looked and felt like some of Joss Whedon's retarded brain farts from his Buffy days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not offended, I just don't like when people review something they have no or little knowledge of.  You could have got what little information you have from reviews or discussions but if you believe Jyn was some "hero, bad ass" you did not see the entire movie.
View Quote
First you elect yourself as the arbiter of who is allowed to review movies.  Then you claim to know what movies I've have and haven't seen.  Finally, you accuse me of pretending to have seen it and just repeating info that I read.   How did you know all that?  Did you use the force?

You argue like a liberal.  You position yourself as an authority and then you make accusations as though you can magically read my mind.  I hope some day when you grow up that you'll re-read this thread and feel shame.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Directionless, pandering, executive meddling, flat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought the whole Saw Guerrerra sequence was a complete swing and miss.  A surface dwelling octopus that reads minds?  Other than that, the movie was most excellent.
View Quote
Yeah, they need a plot tool to prove the pilot was on the level, but then they give him the risked brain damage and he gets better?  That was weak.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I liked it but what do you mean "standalone film"?

That movie never gets made without the success of "A new hope"

The plot has zero interest if you don't incorporate it as a subplot to "A new hope"
View Quote
Standalone in that you have little dependence on characters developed outside the scope of the film.   The threat that the Death Star represents is clearly and spectacularly articulated in the destruction of the two cities.  The ruthlessness of the Empire's brass is also clearly on display.   The need for the Rebels to employ distasteful tactics to beat the Empire is justified.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, they need a plot tool to prove the pilot was on the level, but then they give him the risked brain damage and he gets better?  That was weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep. They cut out and reshot a crapton, but they left that tentacle shit in?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So which Disney executive has the tentacle fetish? Or maybe they're just trying to reach the Japanese market.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

X2

I know they'll keep putting out the episodic movies but it would be GREAT if they would do more of the side movies. Especially if they are as well done as Rogue One.
View Quote
Disney's plan is to alternate episodic and side movies every year.  This year we get the next installment in the Luke storyline, next year we get Young Han Solo.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
It's one of my favorite movies. Although one thing I didn't like was when the monk kicked dirt into the eyes of a stormtrooper and the trooper was acting like he had shit in his eyes. He was wearing his helmet! I swear stormtrooper armor and weapons are useless.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw told him it causes brain damage.  We don't know that it actually does.

Kind of like how Alderran was almost certainly a rebel base with weapons, because everything else Leia told Vader in the original movie was bs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Still think the BEST part of the movie was at the very end with Vader's Rampage onto the captured ship...
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's one of my favorite movies. Although one thing I didn't like was when the monk kicked dirt into the eyes of a stormtrooper and the trooper was acting like he had shit in his eyes. He was wearing his helmet! I swear stormtrooper armor and weapons are useless.
View Quote
yep, its not even tough enough to save you from an old man with a stick.  Whack!....dead.  Storm troopers die easier than red-shirts in Star Trek.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#35]
It was ok
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Diversity One was decent, for a SW movie, but that's a low fucking bar anymore.

Most everything good about it was needless callback/nostalgia.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll say I liked it.   It felt like a REAL Star Wars movie.   It flet like when I watched the first 3 for the first time (On VHS).

That said I see why people don't like it.   I'll say why the ones who DO like it so much:

#1.  The three prequals and Ep VII really......well they really made ANYTHING seem good at this point.

#2.   We liked seeing a bit of "real space".  Where people don't always do what they should.  Or do things they shouldn't believing the end is that big of a goal.

#3.   They really made good combat scenes, they did a damn good job.

#4.  Darth Vader actually kicked the ass he always should have.

A lot of the main detractors/haters?  I can't disagree the new films are not as well made.   I haven't seen ANY movies, Star Wars or any other, that was really well made for the last few years.  That said. I think the originals, the "first thrill", makes it hard to allow anything to compare to the originals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Says the guy with a picture of an old man playing make believe in his avatar....
View Quote
Old man is Clint Eastwood. I prefer his movies to lasers and scifi. Had a hard time watching the star wars after Jar Jar
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I liked RO. I'm going to go watch it again, cause I can't/won't watch Football anymore...woe is me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#41]
That movie was pointless and sucked.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#42]
The original appeal of the movies had nothing to do with the storytelling abilities of the screenwriters, or the directing ability of the George Lucas.  

They were great because the casting was perfect, and the special effects were spot on and wowed the hell out of everyone in the 70's and 80's.

There is no wow factor with the new movies, and the SJW everyone gets a turn casting sucks.  So they are just average Sci-Fi movies now.   Kinda where I figured the series would end up, you could never replicate the success of the original trilogy.  

That said, at least rogue one was better than Ep7, and I'm sorry I didn't see it in theaters.   
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The original appeal of the movies had nothing to do with the storytelling abilities of the screenwriters, or the directing ability of the George Lucas.  

They were great because the casting was perfect, and the special effects were spot on and wowed the hell out of everyone in the 70's and 80's.

There is no wow factor with the new movies, and the SJW everyone gets a turn casting sucks.  So they are just average Sci-Fi movies now.   Kinda where I figured the series would end up, you could never replicate the success of the original trilogy.  

That said, at least rogue one was better than Ep7, and I'm sorry I didn't see it in theaters.   
View Quote
They were great because they're great movies.

"A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."
-George Lucas
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I liked it.

I really wish they'd do some Darth Bane movies.
View Quote
YES!

Darth Bane wiping out the Sith and establishing the Rule of Two...Darth Bane finding Sith Holocrons, Sith alchemy, and searching for 'essence transfer'?

Count me in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#45]
i'm an hour and 12 minutes into this turd, and it's one of the most boring sci-fi movies i've ever seen.  funniest part is that tuff grrl is completely and utterly irrelevant to the entire movie.  she isn't funny, she isn't interesting, she isn't attractive, and she has no essential role--she's just along for the ride.  a tourist.  and unlike the tourist blunt in sicario--which was made by actually competent filmmakers--she isn't even a tourist in an interesting or creative way.  nothing about this movie is good except the visuals (and maybe alan tudyk).  forest looked like he might have been interesting, which is probably why most of his stuff got cut out.

TFA was better storytelling than this.  

the goddamn prequels were better storytelling than this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I loved it.
View Quote
I cryed like a bitch at the end.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bet you're a really fun date.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Best one of the franchise so far.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Its was a little preachy in places. Dovetails great with the rest of the movies but works as a stand alone for multiple reasons. Foremost is that you are introduced to a whole new band of characters that are all dead by the end of the movie.
View Quote
If only JAR JAR BINKS had accompanied those brave fighters of the Rebellion...
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I liked it. Only wish the characters had more personality. What made the original Star Wars so great was we really cared about the characters.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top